PDA

View Full Version : A Memorial Day weekend to Remember...damn

CosmicPal
05-30-2005, 11:27 AM
So, how was your Memorial Day weekend?

Mine was quite eventful. I took off Friday night with some friends to the mountains for some camping. I was unaware of the fact we were heading for 4X4 country and my SUV is only an all-wheel drive vehicle. Anyways, I almost make it to the top of Guanella Pass, but can't quite get the vehicle to ascend this steep hill at the very top of the mountain. So, one of my buddies takes off and says he'll drop off his stuff and return. A couple of hours later- he still hasn't returned and I decided enough was enough and went back down to find a spot to camp on my own.

On the way down, I spot Shane and Eddy going up and they said Justin had gotten himself stuck at the top in a snow enbankment and that they were going to get him out. So, I follow them back to the spot I had originally parked and waited for them both to return. A few minutes later I can see their headlights cressing the top of the mountain and they begin their descent down when I noticed Shane was going way too fast and lost control of his vehicle and crashed head first into a mound. So, Justin had to then get Shane out.

We decided (obviously enough) it's too cold and dangerous to be at the top this early in the summer season, so we agree to go down further and find a spot to camp. We come to a raging, overflowing creek and I am now worried I won't make it across in my vehicle. But, it's 2AM now, and all I can think of is wanting to pitch a tent and crack open a beer, and so I bravely cross it successfully.

But, we're still not down below the snowline as Justin continues forward, Shane is behind him, and I'm trailing them both when Shane hits the snow too hard and loses control of his vehicle again, but this time he's got two wheels hanging off the road and meandering over a 10,000 foot drop. By now, everyone's pissed, tired, and cold. We tie his truck up to a tree to keep it from going over the edge and Justin, Jennifer, Shane, and Eddy all agree to just spend the night camped out on the road. I, however, decide it's better to get help, so I go back down. Only I can't cross the creek this time. I get stuck trying to cross the creek and in a furious rage I simply floored my SUV into reverse and got my car out of the creek. So, I then pitch a tent and sleep for the night.

In the morning, I'm wondering if we're going to get anyone to find us as we are near the top of this mountain and the morning sun is melting more snow which is only churning the creek into a mad river. Suddenly, I hear the sound of a motorbike and by the time I get out of the tent, he races by and out of sight. But, fortunately, a few minutes later- he's on his way back and I flag him down to tell him we needed some help and if he wouldn't mind going back to Georgetown and letting the Sheriff know we've got a vehicle tied to a tree and a vehicle that can no longer cross the creek. He looks dejected and speeds off, and I'm wondering if he'll ever tell anyone.

A few hours later, a trail of vehicles come crossing the creek and the driver in the first vehicle chimes at me, "Call fer help?"

Sweet! I tell them about my friends tied to a tree and to help them out first. A couple of hours later, everyone is coming down the trail including Justin and Shane in their vehicles. They then chain me up and pull me across the river. Yay! I bark at Justin and tell him we're camping at the bottom of this mountain or I'm going home, you phucking tard!

So, we find a nice little secluded camping area near the bottom and camp for the day...About 3PM, we're smiling and drinking and having a good time when all of a sudden, blam! blam! blam! blam! Somebody's shooting a gun! This scares the shit out of our dogs: my dog runs to my tent and stays there shivering while Jennifer's dog takes off running into the wilderness. Now, she's crying while everyone is trying to assure her the dog will return. As the sun meets the top of the mountains, I suggest we all split up about 20 yards apart from each other and walk a straight line to find her dog. That didn't work as we all returned to the campsite just as it was getting dark.

About 6AM, my dog goes crazy, and as it turns out her dog finally showed up at the campsite. We all have breakfast, a bloody mary, and some laughs. I, however, decided enough was enough and that our luck has run out. I tell everyone I'm going home. So, yesterday, my dog and I bid farewell and returned to Denver. Last night it snowed in the mountains. They must have been miserable. I think I made the wise choice.

and THAT was my Memorial Day weekend.

chagrin
05-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Well, my girlfriends lazy ass POS Ex Husband is supposed to have his daughter today, but wussed out and decided to NOT pick her up. Funny how guys like him claim to only want "what's best" for their children and continually leave them behind wondering...

alanm
05-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Some people just ain't cut out to be mountain folk. :)

HemiEd
05-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Damn Cosmic, with a little work you could make a nice movie out of that!

badgirl
05-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Man what a time!! I would have definately been pissed, glad her dog came back at least, lets pick out the positive, he didn't actually go over the cliff, everyone was alive when you left them, you didn't have to face the new snow, and her dog came back, and evidentally the gunshots wasn't aimed at you guys.

Well thats all the good I can possible drain out of that story. ROFL

Your right that would be one to remember.

Frazod
05-30-2005, 04:51 PM
It was pretty quiet for us. One of my best friends came up to visit, but since his wife doesn't like me, I didn't see too much of him. We did go see Star Wars on a digital screen today. It's better the second time around, and the digital presentation does make a difference.