PDA

View Full Version : Recievers

dtrain
05-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Do we really need another reciever? I hear everyone saying we need a Number one reciever to me Kennison is getting the job done. I know between Parker, Bo, and Horn the job will get done. So why the need for another WR? I say that money could be better spent on the DL or FB. Just my .02.

tyton75
05-31-2005, 02:22 PM
I would like a solid, proven guy at WR to compliment Kennison and the rest... with our offense, I don't think we can have too many talented recievers...

esp if Morton gets tossed tommorrow

dtrain
05-31-2005, 02:26 PM
I would like a solid, proven guy at WR to compliment Kennison and the rest... with our offense, I don't think we can have too many talented recievers...

esp if Morton gets tossed tommorrow

I say go with Parker and Bo as the third reciever. That would give us 2 real speedsters on the outside and a big fast guy inside. Not to mention Horn and Smith.

chagrin
05-31-2005, 02:33 PM
I would just like to see some real consistency at the position. Eddie is doing some things, and I know KC isn't known for having scary WR's. I went through this several weeks ago here and it seemed like the concensus was that we have some guys who "may" be awesome some day but that's it. Wouldn't it be nice to have a guy with some real upside? I'm not talking T.O. but it sure would be nice to have someone that makes Defenses think twice, however, by the same token if our WR's all produce consistent but not 1000 yd numbers, I would also be happy.

dtrain
05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
I would just like to see some real consistency at the position. Eddie is doing some things, and I know KC isn't known for having scary WR's. I went through this several weeks ago here and it seemed like the concensus was that we have some guys who "may" be awesome some day but that's it. Wouldn't it be nice to have a guy with some real upside? I'm not talking T.O. but it sure would be nice to have someone that makes Defenses think twice, however, by the same token if our WR's all produce consistent but not 1000 yd numbers, I would also be happy.

I think we have 2 who would make defenses think like that Parker and Bo. For whatever reason injury, being a rookie, or whatever they didn't play as much as they should have as rookies. If Parker starts opposite Kennison I think you will see he will definitely get the D's attention. Then put Bo in the slot with his size and speed definite match up problem.

kcfreakTR3Y
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Nah, I think we need a guy like Marvin Harrison. Trent would be more recognized and our offense would be UNSTOPPABLE. That would free up some time to get defensive players. I said Harrison because he's a great receiver and he keeps his mouth shut. With Harrison, the Chiefs offense would absolutely kill. Priest would be running crazy (or Larry, depending on injuries) and Trent could possibly have a 5,000 yard year (yes, you heard me). Our opponents would double-team Harrison, but then Trent would have other wide-open receivers. We get a guy like Marvin and build up our defense, man...................Can anyone say DYNASTY?

:) :clap: :hmmm:

chagrin
05-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Nah, I think we need a guy like Marvin Harrison. Trent would be more recognized and our offense would be UNSTOPPABLE. That would free up some time to get defensive players. I said Harrison because he's a great receiver and he keeps his mouth shut. With Harrison, the Chiefs offense would absolutely kill. Priest would be running crazy (or Larry, depending on injuries) and Trent could possibly have a 5,000 yard year (yes, you heard me). Our opponents would double-team Harrison, but then Trent would have other wide-open receivers. We get a guy like Marvin and build up our defense, man...................Can anyone say DYNASTY?

ummm... :spock:

bobbything
05-31-2005, 03:16 PM
it sure would be nice to have someone that makes Defenses think twice
That's pretty much what Kennison is. What would be nice is another receiver just like him. The problem is, IMHO, the intracies of this offense. It obviously takes some time to learn. Kennison, over the years, has developed into a very nice receiver, where in another, more traditional system, he may have excelled much quicker.

Bringing in another receiver would just slow things down, I think. Parker has shown the ability to step in and get the job done. I think the WR corps should be left alone.

Swanman
05-31-2005, 03:31 PM

While we're at it, we can:

1) Sign Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks to anchor our linebacking core
2) Create a time machine to bring back Dale Carter in his prime to play alongside Surtain
3) Find a clone of Ronnie Lott to play safety
4) Sign Jonathon Ogden to play tackle opposite Roaf
5) Sign Todd Heap to play alongside Gonzo in some sweet 2 TE sets
6) Resurrect Vince Lombardi to coach our team of Hall of Famers.

Get to work, Carl.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-31-2005, 03:38 PM

http://images.finheaven.com/forums/smilies/abduction.gif
BEWARE! they know who will not be believed

dilligaf
05-31-2005, 03:38 PM
I heard we traded for Chad Johnson. :)

dtrain
05-31-2005, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=kcfreakTR3Y]Nah, I think we need a guy like Marvin Harrison. Trent would be more recognized and our offense would be UNSTOPPABLE. That would free up some time to get defensive players. I said Harrison because he's a great receiver and he keeps his mouth shut. With Harrison, the Chiefs offense would absolutely kill. Priest would be running crazy (or Larry, depending on injuries) and Trent could possibly have a 5,000 yard year (yes, you heard me). Our opponents would double-team Harrison, but then Trent would have other wide-open receivers. We get a guy like Marvin and build up our defense, man...................Can anyone say DYNASTY?

Just say not to drugs :bong:

TRR
05-31-2005, 04:15 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that we need another WR. If Morton is dumped, we have a lot of question marks behind him. Samie Parker looks good, but he's only played in 4 NFL games. Going from a 4 game slot WR to a 16 game starter is a lot to ask. And has Marc Boerigter ever made it through a training camp without being injured or having surgery? If he's going to become a starter, he has to stay healthy. And even then, he has trouble with dropping balls. He still isn't practicing yet from last seasons injury.

We need a vet to replace Morton. If Parker or Boe can beat that vet out...Great. But a guy like Peter Warrick, Peerless Price, or Rod Gardner would look nice in Red and Gold.

ChiefFripp
05-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Isaac Bruce!

morphius
05-31-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm all for giving the young guys a chance, I don't want to see some old fogey get the nod over the youth because he has some expierence.

milkman
05-31-2005, 08:37 PM
That's pretty much what Kennison is. What would be nice is another receiver just like him. The problem is, IMHO, the intracies of this offense. It obviously takes some time to learn. Kennison, over the years, has developed into a very nice receiver, where in another, more traditional system, he may have excelled much quicker.

Bringing in another receiver would just slow things down, I think. Parker has shown the ability to step in and get the job done. I think the WR corps should be left alone.

Kennison played in this system in St Louis.
Eddie is what he is. A pretty good receiver that can get the job done, but he doesn't scare anybody.

Chiefaholic
05-31-2005, 10:31 PM
Isaac Bruce!

If rumor mills are correct and St Louis give him the axe, we would be STUPID to pass him up. He knows our scheme inside and out, and adds the veteran presence to our offense that we need in clutch situations.

Chris Meck
06-01-2005, 03:55 AM
the problem with a number one receiver in this offense is that there won't be NEAR enough opportunities for them to put up the kind of numbers they'd be used to. No WR is going to come in here and catch 90 balls.

Look, Priest gets a lot of touches. So does Tony G. That's not going to change. This is a BALANCED offense, perhaps the most balanced in the NFL.

The role player system at WR is just fine when you run the ball like we do and have the best TE in the game. Kennison is still a speedy threat, and Parker/Bo and the rest will be fine based on past production.

Morton was an inconsistent possession receiver. Parker played very well when given the chance, no reason to think he wouldn't continue. The biggest part of a team improving from year to year is developing their young talent. Only way to do that is to play them.

chris

tomahawk kid
06-01-2005, 06:05 AM
Based on what Adam Shefter and Pat Kirwan said last night on the NFL Network, both Warrick and Gardner are going to be available. They didn't mention anything about Bruce.

Both Warrick and Gardner are intriguing to me, but I don't think either fit Vermiel's profile.......

wasi
06-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Look, Priest gets a lot of touches. So does Tony G. That's not going to change. This is a BALANCED offense, perhaps the most balanced in the NFL.

chris

I agree and the gameplanning has worked for the past 3 seasons. That's why I don't want to see any changes to the offense (including keeping Morton) unless he is upgraded by Bruce (assuming the rumors are correct). Anyone else would not be able to step in at this point, as Bruce has a relationship with the coaching staff and knows the terminology of the offense.
The reason I don't want to see changes is because I feel like the defense has the potential to take this team for a serious Super Bowl run and would hate have the offense suddenly run into problems at this point.
That said, I trust the offensive coaches and DV to make the right decisions on that side of the ball, they've done almost everything right up to this point and no reason to think otherwise now.

chagrin
06-01-2005, 07:30 AM
the problem with a number one receiver in this offense is that there won't be NEAR enough opportunities for them to put up the kind of numbers they'd be used to. No WR is going to come in here and catch 90 balls.

The role player system at WR is just fine when you run the ball like we do and have the best TE in the game. Kennison is still a speedy threat, and Parker/Bo and the rest will be fine based on past production.

Morton was an inconsistent possession receiver. Parker played very well when given the chance, no reason to think he wouldn't continue. The biggest part of a team improving from year to year is developing their young talent. Only way to do that is to play them.

chris

Chris, even though I want to bring in a WR, you have made the best argument on why we shouldn't, so far...good job.

p.s. hwoever wrote Warrick sounds like a good idea...
Warrick BLOWS, how could he possibly be intriguing to you?

tomahawk kid
06-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Chris, even though I want to bring in a WR, you have made the best argument on why we shouldn't, so far...good job.

p.s. hwoever wrote Warrick sounds like a good idea...
Warrick BLOWS, how could he possibly be intriguing to you?

Change of scenery reasons. Bottom line is that I would like some sort of insurance plan if we release Morton.

dtrain
06-01-2005, 07:46 AM

chris

I have said this in a couple of other threads. DV does not like playing rookies unless it is absolutely positively necessary like Fujita over Bush. But look how long it took for that to happen. I say play the younger players and let them develop that is how you keep things going instead of rebuilding every 6-8 years.

whoman69
06-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Most of the talk that our offense is old comes from the fact that we start two receivers well past 30. Its time to give the young guys a try. This offense does not need a "#1 receiver" because we spread the ball around so much, it would be meaningless. I'm hoping that we can get even younger and have a replacement for Kennison as well. Why do we want to go from one tired old receiver in Morton to another one. All of the receivers mentioned to be released post June 1 have huge warts and I frankly don't believe any of them would be much help to us. Warrick and Price have been underachievers. Gardner has character issues in addition to the fact he has not been overly productive in several years on a team with little receiver talent. Koren Robinson makes Morton look sticky handed.

Joe Seahawk
06-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Koren Robinson will be cut today... :PBJ:

Gaz
06-01-2005, 07:55 AM
No, we do not need another WR. Chris Meck explained it very nicely.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still more worried about the D.

HC_Chief
06-01-2005, 08:04 AM
A consistent possession receiver would be great. We need a guy that will consistently convert third & long into first downs when defenses concentrate on Priest & Gonzo.

TRR
06-01-2005, 09:41 AM

chris

You make a good point. But nobody on this board is wanting a #1 WR. We are wanting a WR that can come in and put up 800+ yards and 5+ TD's like Johnnie Morton did. All while being a little more consistent, and a little less expensive. If Samie Parker can do that...great. However, Samie Parker has only played in FOUR NFL games. If Boe can do that...great. However, Boe can't stay healthy. How can we count on him for 16 games as our #2 WR?

That's why we need another WR...Not a #1, just a dependable WR.

Cormac
06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
I have said this in a couple of other threads. DV does not like playing rookies unless it is absolutely positively necessary

I don't agree with this. Without doing any research, I feel that DV plays as many rookies as most coaches. It's just that our rookies haven't been great most years. Sims was an immediate starter (as he should have been), Allen started, Parker started, Fujita as you mentioned. Kawika played a good deal IIRC. Kris Wilson would have started by all accounts. Boerigter started as a "rookie". Even Kevin Sampson got on the field, as did Montique Sharpe. The list goes on. Those guys weren't 16 game starters, but he's not afraid to get his youngsters out there in the rotation, IMO. The guys who missed out either really disappointed in TC, or were injured (like Wilson, Fox etc). Compared to Marty, DV loves rookies, IMO.

TEX
06-01-2005, 10:05 AM
You make a good point. But nobody on this board is wanting a #1 WR. We are wanting a WR that can come in and put up 800+ yards and 5+ TD's like Johnnie Morton did. All while being a little more consistent, and a little less expensive. If Samie Parker can do that...great. However, Samie Parker has only played in FOUR NFL games. If Boe can do that...great. However, Boe can't stay healthy. How can we count on him for 16 games as our #2 WR?

Yep.

chagrin
06-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Kennison played in this system in St Louis.
Eddie is what he is. A pretty good receiver that can get the job done, but he doesn't scare anybody.

Thank you :clap:

"You make a good point. But nobody on this board is wanting a #1 WR. We are wanting a WR that can come in and put up 800+ yards and 5+ TD's like Johnnie Morton did. All while being a little more consistent, and a little less expensive. If Samie Parker can do that...great. However, Samie Parker has only played in FOUR NFL games. If Boe can do that...great. However, Boe can't stay healthy. How can we count on him for 16 games as our #2 WR?

That's why we need another WR...Not a #1, just a dependable WR."

And thank YOU! :clap:

whoman69
06-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Just who is this mystical receiver that is out there that can help us? There isn't anyone out there who hasn't been having problems of the same magnitude of Morton. If they were that good, their former teams would hold onto them. GMs are alot smarter with the cap than they used to be. If a player is worth holding onto, they can make it happen. The people mentioned are not worth holding onto.

ct
06-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Just who is this mystical receiver that is out there that can help us? There isn't anyone out there who hasn't been having problems of the same magnitude of Morton. If they were that good, their former teams would hold onto them. GMs are alot smarter with the cap than they used to be. If a player is worth holding onto, they can make it happen. The people mentioned are not worth holding onto.

But yet our defensive hopes pin on 2 such players in Bell and Knight. Surtain and Hall I don't include, as they were traded. You could easily include Surtain though, since if Miami really wanted him, they would have extended his contract to take care of that cap hit.

I've said before, I'll say again, only 1 guy will convince me that giving Sammy Parker a shot to start isn't our best move. His name is Isaac Bruce. He is yet another such player you talk about in the quote. If it weren't for his advancing age and veteran salary, he wouldn't even be rumored to be a June 1st casualty. But having said that, he would make a great addition for us in win now mode.

kcfreakTR3Y
06-01-2005, 01:43 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that we need another WR. If Morton is dumped, we have a lot of question marks behind him. Samie Parker looks good, but he's only played in 4 NFL games. Going from a 4 game slot WR to a 16 game starter is a lot to ask. And has Marc Boerigter ever made it through a training camp without being injured or having surgery? If he's going to become a starter, he has to stay healthy. And even then, he has trouble with dropping balls. He still isn't practicing yet from last seasons injury.

We need a vet to replace Morton. If Parker or Boe can beat that vet out...Great. But a guy like Peter Warrick, Peerless Price, or Rod Gardner would look nice in Red and Gold.

I say go for Peerless Price, he's probably better than Gardner, but both could be dissapointments. :hmmm:

Wile_E_Coyote
06-01-2005, 01:45 PM
I have heard or read that DV had to be talked out of cutting Bruce from the Rams. They may not be on good terms

kcfreakTR3Y
06-01-2005, 01:47 PM
If rumor mills are correct and St Louis give him the axe, we would be STUPID to pass him up. He knows our scheme inside and out, and adds the veteran presence to our offense that we need in clutch situations.

He may be too old, though. I think he would be fine.

I say we kick the Rams out of Missouri and the Chiefs have ythe state all to themselves!Mwuahahahahah!

kcfreakTR3Y
06-01-2005, 01:54 PM
I wish we could play Dante more at WR, he's a good possesion WR, but the risk of injury will always be there. He is a little guy. Does anyone think that he's not as good as he used to be, or is that just because the media isn't shining any light on him anymore? If Dante isn't Dante= :banghead:

chagrin
06-01-2005, 02:18 PM
"I say go for Peerless Price, he's probably better than Gardner, but both could be dissapointments."

In this case, Gardener over Price for this reason:

Gardner is still young and "trainable". I bleieve Peerless got lazy and seems to do things his own way.

buddha
06-01-2005, 02:32 PM
KC doesn't have a true #1 receiver...not even close. Kennison is at best a #2 receiver by most team's standards and there is a lot of potential and hope behind him. A guy like Warrick would probably be a star in KC compared to what we currently have.

chagrin
06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
A guy like Warrick would probably be a star in KC compared to what we currently have.

Ahem... :$2500:

Chris Meck
06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
but again, why are we going to pick an aging vet up off the scrap heap when we have young talent that would appear to have the ability to do the job? If we pick up a Bruce, then Parker rides the bench again. What's the point of that?
Play the kid.

TRR
06-01-2005, 05:45 PM
but again, why are we going to pick an aging vet up off the scrap heap when we have young talent that would appear to have the ability to do the job? If we pick up a Bruce, then Parker rides the bench again. What's the point of that?
Play the kid.

Warrick and Gardner are both young, promising WR's. I haven't heard anything about Bruce being released in awhile.

milkman
06-01-2005, 05:50 PM
I wish we could play Dante more at WR, he's a good possesion WR, but the risk of injury will always be there. He is a little guy. Does anyone think that he's not as good as he used to be, or is that just because the media isn't shining any light on him anymore? If Dante isn't Dante= :banghead:

I'm sorry, but Dante as a WR is a great returner.

Running a normal pass route, Dante can not get open.
He's a gimmick WR.
That's it.

I would rather see Dante be used almost exclusively as the returner, and keep his playing time in the offense minimal.

Dante is still every bit as good at returning kicks as he was 2 years ago.
Last season, the blocking for him wasn't as good.
This can be attributed to the loss of Boe and a performance dropoff by Stills to a certain extent.

Dante is going to make some things happen on his own, but he still needs those blockers.

milkman
06-01-2005, 05:53 PM

Exactly.

Anyong Bluth
06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
John Clayton mentioned the Chiefs were/are taking a look at Freddie Mitchell (it was on the 90min Sportscenter...) FWIW???

TRR
06-01-2005, 06:02 PM
John Clayton mentioned the Chiefs were/are taking a look at Freddie Mitchell (it was on the 90min Sportscenter...) FWIW???

As I stated in the other thread...Clayton never said the Chiefs had any interest in Freddie Mitchell. Clayton said Mitchell had an interest in KC if Johnnie Morton is released. Unless I heard it wrong, the interest is one way.