PDA

View Full Version : Why do we get so attached to our pets

Chief Henry
06-01-2005, 07:41 AM
At about 7:45 Tuesday morning we had to put our little dog to sleep.
Its now just a little over 24 hours and I feel like I've lost my BEST friend i've ever had.

Pumkin was like a "benji" type dog with cream colored hair. She was so fricken smart but lost a lengthy battle to cancer in her bladder. ABout 7 months ago we had half of her bladder removed. A week later the vet said they did not get all of it and the tumor would grow back fast :banghead:

Little pumkin over the last 8 months would always lick herself as if she was trying to heal her tumor like a dog licks a wound....The two shots
the vet gave her, one in each paw took about 3 minutes two work yesterday. He said the shots fry the brain first. She was always an easy going dog for the vet to work with. Even when she got her hair cut she never fussed or growled at the people..... She had her head in between her front paws. My wife and I were holding her on the table with minimal effort, then after about 2-3 minutes and the 2nd shot, she just leaned over to her right side and that was it.

We brought a blanket with her and I carried her out into the truck while my wife drove us home. I held pumkin in my arms the whole way, sobbing uncontrolable. Tears are streaming down my face right now.

Since my wife and I don't have any kids, we have this huge hole in our hearts and our home...We cried our selfs to sleep last night and we woke up the same way this morning!!!

We had about 10 years with pumkin. She basically adopted us after her family abandoned her ! Pumkin was so jealous of other dogs and cats in the neighboorhood. Actually yesterday when we carried her into the vets office she growled mightly at this "lassie" type collie in front of the vets office.

I remember my dads death and funeral in June of 1973. This seams like it's just as bad !!!! wtf henry, get a grip.

Its so DAM ironic that Five of the Six guys going fishing to Canada have all had to put family pets (down) with in the last year, one guy had to put 2 down in the same week about 10 months ago.

What is it about our pets that make us go gaga over them? I don't
wish this agony on anyone. :(

Have a good day people.

SCTrojan
06-01-2005, 07:45 AM
We put our dog down after having her fifteen years. That was two years ago and we still talk about her.

Don't know why we get attached to pets, we just do.

I'm sorry about your loss.

HemiEd
06-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Truly sorry about your loss, I have lost several myself. Dogs are the most loyal critters alive, including man IMO. I think that is why we get so attached. When I get home from work at night, my dog meets me with a smile. That is right, a smile knowing he is going to get a treat.

shakesthecat
06-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Sorry to hear about this Henry.

siberian khatru
06-01-2005, 08:11 AM
I had to put down my brilliant, wonderful Golden Retriever of 10+ years last September. I still think about him, even though I have a nearly-1-year-old lab/chow mix to occupy me now.

Attached? I had him cremated and put his ashes in a nice wooden box with a photo of him on the front. It sits on a shelf on my entertainment center.

It didn't take 3 minutes to off my golden, they gave him one shot and he was gone, zap, within seconds. Right after the vet administered the shot I asked the vet how long it would take and he said, "He's gone now." Bam.

I had dropped him off at the vet that morning because over the last several days he had trouble walking and I feared it might be his hips. Turns out it was cancer, something that had wrapped itself around his spinal cord and was affecting his walking, sitting and bathroom skills. When the vet called me at work with the bad news, I told him I'd come in that afternoon and get it over with.

I'm telling you, when they brought him out of the kennel to see me, and he was so happy, wagging his tail, thinking he was going home, and I had to tell him I loved him and goodbye and how sorry I was ... well, the two vet assistants there had to walk away, they were so broken up. I'd never had to do that to a pet before. I was wracked with guilt. My head tells me it was the right thing to do, because the poor thing wasn't going to get better. But I still feel like I let him down. He was such a loyal, obediant, smart and affectionate dog. Really, the best you could ever hope for. I wished he could've gone out on his own terms. He deserved that.

I hope I never have to do anything like that with my parents, wife or kids. I went home and just bawled by myself until the family got home. That catharsis helped, it took the heavy pain away, but I'm still getting choked up recounting the story here. I don't think you ever totally get over it. The good pets really do become family members.

My sympathies to your loss.

ChiTown
06-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Henry

I had to do the same in January to our dog of 15 yrs. It was our child for a number of years before we had kids. I truely feel your loss and offer my condolences.

Chi

Edubs
06-01-2005, 08:26 AM
I had to put down my brilliant, wonderful Golden Retriever of 10+ years last September. I still think about him, even though I have a nearly-1-year-old lab/chow mix to occupy me now.

Attached? I had him cremated and put his ashes in a nice wooden box with a photo of him on the front. It sits on a shelf on my entertainment center.

It didn't take 3 minutes to off my golden, they gave him one shot and he was gone, zap, within seconds. Right after the vet administered the shot I asked the vet how long it would take and he said, "He's gone now." Bam.

I had dropped him off at the vet that morning because over the last several days he had trouble walking and I feared it might be his hips. Turns out it was cancer, something that had wrapped itself around his spinal cord and was affecting his walking, sitting and bathroom skills. When the vet called me at work with the bad news, I told him I'd come in that afternoon and get it over with.

I'm telling you, when they brought him out of the kennel to see me, and he was so happy, wagging his tail, thinking he was going home, and I had to tell him I loved him and goodbye and how sorry I was ... well, the two vet assistants there had to walk away, they were so broken up. I'd never had to do that to a pet before. I was wracked with guilt. My head tells me it was the right thing to do, because the poor thing wasn't going to get better. But I still feel like I let him down. He was such a loyal, obediant, smart and affectionate dog. Really, the best you could ever hope for. I wished he could've gone out on his own terms. He deserved that.

I hope I never have to do anything like that with my parents, wife or kids. I went home and just bawled by myself until the family got home. That catharsis helped, it took the heavy pain away, but I'm still getting choked up recounting the story here. I don't think you ever totally get over it. The good pets really do become family members.

My sympathies to your loss.

Man....eyes started to get moist. I love my dog and I hate hearing about those stories.

RealSNR
06-01-2005, 08:28 AM
You live with something for so long, you're bound to get attached to it. It's the same reason why sometimes we as humans don't want to get rid of objects around the house, even though they may be inefficient or in need of repair. The bond between human and object is minimal. Animals are living things, and react with their owners. This creates a bond sometimes equally as strong as a family member.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Hammock Parties
06-01-2005, 08:31 AM
God dammit. I hate these threads. I lost Chief (a doberman) my senior year of high school to cancer. I was too broken up about it to even go with him on his final ride. We have a new dog now (Tess, a German Wirehair Pointer], and even though she's only 5, I am already dreading the day she dies. :(

tomahawk kid
06-01-2005, 08:31 AM
You live with something for so long, you're bound to get attached to it. It's the same reason why sometimes we as humans don't want to get rid of objects around the house, even though they may be inefficient or in need of repair. The bond between human and object is minimal. Animals are living things, and react with their owners. This creates a bond sometimes equally as strong as a family member.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Amen.

My wife and I bought a minature schnauzer in January of last year and she's basically become our first born child.

Sorry to hear about the loss, Henry.

gblowfish
06-01-2005, 08:36 AM
I have kitties: http://www.georgeblowfish.com/kitties.html

I lost one to feline HIV on January 29th. One of the saddest days I've ever had. I loved him very much, as I do all my pets. Many of us know how you feel. Having to put a pet out of pain is one of those things in life we're forced to do. You don't want to do it, but it has to be done. Sometimes it really really sucks to be an adult.

After some time you might consider rescuing a pound pooch. You're obviously a caring person, and there's lots of dogs and cats out there who desperately need someone to love them and care for them. I think after time you'll realize the joy your pet brought to you outweighs the sorrow from the last couple days. You can honor your dog's memory by saving another. Hang in there.

Chief Henry
06-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks you guys. Pets are awesome.

Swanman
06-01-2005, 09:40 AM
After some time you might consider rescuing a pound pooch. You're obviously a caring person, and there's lots of dogs and cats out there who desperately need someone to love them and care for them. I think after time you'll realize the joy your pet brought to you outweighs the sorrow from the last couple days. You can honor your dog's memory by saving another. Hang in there.

Great point about rescuing a dog. There are rescues for every breed out there and by rescuing you're not encouraging the breeding farms and pet stores that house the dogs in horrible conditions.

I grew up with several dogs and it always hurts like hell to lose them, but over time you tend to remember the good times with the pup and the hurt slowly fades away. When I was little we had a Great Dane and English Setter and they were the two best dogs ever. The English Setter lived nearly 18 years and sadly the Dane only lived about 8, which is about normal for that breed.

ExtremeChief
06-01-2005, 09:43 AM
I hate these stories too. I've never had to have a pet "put down", mine seem to get killed on their own. I had a lab that was my best buddy, about 3 years old, when he decided to run out in front of a Chevy. I always told myself that if he got run over, at least he was running and happy. Bullshit. That didn't work at all. We now have 2 lab/mix that we rescued from the pound. They are hyper, and stupid, and I love them to death. I build a 50' x 100' fenced area so they can run some. Extremely selfish on my part since I know they would be happier running whereever they want to, but I can't help it. Sorry for your loss Henry, and FU SK for nearly making me cry.

BIG_DADDY
06-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Hate putting dogs down. Lost the one in my avatar less than a year ago. Cleo ruled. Sorry to hear about your dog.

BIG_DADDY
06-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Now imagine the horror of having the government come in your house, take your dog and kill it for no reason. Denver is one ****ed up place.

CASHMAN
06-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Sorry for your loss :( ,

I got a lab about 8 years ago with a woman i lived with and oh well after a year we split she got the dog that tore me up for a long time.
After about 7 years i have fin ally got another dog ERNIE a lab-sheapard mix and he is great:) he is 7 months old and a pain in the rear but i am sure he will grow out of that, since i am unemployed now him and i spend alot of time toghter and he is a daddys boy.
My wife said the other night when i left for 3 hours he cried and looked for me the whole time and right after i got home he let me pet him and then went to my wife and played with her as to make me mad or something, then after that he droped and fell asleep.
I love this guy, just thought i would share this with you but now ernie needs to go out so later.

CASHMAN.

Over-Head
06-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Oh god.
Don’t even begin to talk to me about pet’s being part of the family.
I live in a house shared mostly equally with my fiancé, her mother, and the actual head of the house “Shadow”.
The monster my better half’s mother created!

This 22lbs pure blood “Main Coon” fur ball from hell is not just an animal, but acts like a friggen human.

http://www.verismocat.com/

He has his OWN bloody frying pan. What ever we have for supper he gets some.
He’s got mom trained to get up and give him his breakfast treat at 5:30 am.
Lunch treat at 1, and of course if she doesn’t save something from supper for him, the f*cking cat will sit on the stool in front of the stove and stare at you till you do make him something.
If it’s past 9 at night, he comes out to the living room and stares at her until she’s looks at him and say’s, “Ok time for bed. He hops up and sleeps at her feet.
If mom or the better half are gone, the bloody thing actually tries to get me to give him his “after” dinner rub down.
Yeah right, as IF! :rolleyes:

I hate cat’s plain and simple.
I butted heads with this damn creature the first 2 years I was here, and man talk about terrorize an animal!
The things I’d do to him were just below outright abuse.
This always ended up getting me lectures from not 1 but 2 women about “leaving the poor cat alone”.
All the while satin’s little helper would be sitting there staring at me with a smirk on his face saying
“Son when are ya gonna learn, this is MY mutha f*cking houseeee” ROFL

I just finally gave up and figured he took 10 years to program JoAnn and her mother to come and go on his command.
And since I’ve finally given to his will, the f*cking thing doesn’t come near me half as much as he used to.

He’ll be dead in another 1 or two at best :evil:
And when he does, I’m willing to bet I cry harder than both the ladies.

MOhillbilly
06-01-2005, 10:26 AM
IMO its because we like to attach what we think is alittle bit of our personality in our pets.
and they are always happy to see us and comfort us no questions asked.

Rain Man
06-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I sympathize with your loss. We've had our two cats for over a decade now, and I can't imagine being without them. They're our children.

Calcountry
06-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Now imagine the horror of having the government come in your house, take your dog and kill it for no reason. Denver is one ****ed up place.But hey, they have the Broncos. ;)

All BS aside, sorry Henry about your loss.

:deevee:

RedNFeisty
06-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Sorry for your loss. It really sucks.

Idahored
06-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Chief Henry,

I am very, very sorry for your loss and can somewhat imagine what you feel.

The wife and I have two dogs that we rescued about 5 years ago. We also have not been blessed with kids, so these two have taken that place. Your post made me think a little about how I will feel when faced with the same choice and it was not a pretty feeling.

Hang in there Bud, and when you can, try and rescue another that is about to be put down for no other reason than he doesn't have an owner like you. That will help to take some of the sting away...

Nzoner
06-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Since my wife and I don't have any kids, we have this huge hole in our hearts and our home...We cried our selfs to sleep last night and we woke up the same way this morning!!!

I feel your pain and am sorry for your loss.The wife and I opted to not have kids so over the years together we've had more than a few pets and lost them in different ways.

We've had to put two of them down and it's the hardest thing I've ever experienced.

As others have said we've adopted 3 more dogs that were bound for death row within the last year and it sped up the healing.You'll never forget the others but there are many more out there in need of a good home.

Good luck.

Fire Me Boy!
06-01-2005, 11:50 AM
My sincerest condolences...

I think we become attached to our animals at least partly because they are like our children. We are completely responsible for them -- we feed them, bathe them, love them, etc. In many cases, they are with us all the time if we are home. Our dogs lie at our feet, our cats sit on our laps. They sleep in our beds. They give us unconditional love, comfort us when we don't feel good, are sad, ill, whatever... they make us laugh and feel loved.

DanT
06-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Sincere condolences, Chief Henry.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Iowanian
06-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Just when I was reading this thread, thinking "ok, yeah, I like my dog too"..........wife calls, and(understand that I'm moving this weekend, trying to sell the house).....my 90lb dog has the diarhea, and the wife forgot to put him out for the morning/day........yeah.........He crapped about 2 gallons on the kitchen floor and 5-6 spots on the light carpet.....but at least it stinks bad enough to condem the house.

I'm suddenly conflicted again.

tomahawk kid
06-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Just when I was reading this thread, thinking "ok, yeah, I like my dog too"..........wife calls, and(understand that I'm moving this weekend, trying to sell the house).....my 90lb dog has the diarhea, and the wife forgot to put him out for the morning/day........yeah.........He crapped about 2 gallons on the kitchen floor and 5-6 spots on the light carpet.....but at least it stinks bad enough to condem the house.

I'm suddenly conflicted again.

Our dog had worms when we first got her and a bacterial infection in her digestive tract after that.

Granted she's a much smaller dog, but picture your situation for about 2 solid weeks...and she wasn't house broken......

Iowanian
06-01-2005, 12:48 PM
this is why I've always been firmly against house dogs.......and in that case, it wouldn't have been. this one has been well housebroken since it was 3-4months old.

I don't know how much more patience I have for any further infraction.

Anyway....Sorry you lost your dog Henry, but I'm not too far from driving mine down to you.

MOhillbilly
06-01-2005, 12:55 PM
this is why I've always been firmly against house dogs.......and in that case, it wouldn't have been. this one has been well housebroken since it was 3-4months old.

I don't know how much more patience I have for any further infraction.

Anyway....Sorry you lost your dog Henry, but I'm not too far from driving mine down to you.

get a dog kennel or some t-posts and cattle/hog panels.

Iowanian
06-01-2005, 12:56 PM
I've got a kennel. Just don't keep him in there 24-7

MOhillbilly
06-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I've got a kennel. Just don't keep him in there 24-7

so you and yours left the house and put the dog in the kennel.
well how did poo get all over the kitchen floor?

go bo
06-01-2005, 01:06 PM

My sympathies to your loss.the chow that we had when our kids were younger died of heatstroke...

i've never had to put one down, but i'm sure i won't like it one bit...

we got a chocolate lab/chow mix at the pound last year and the little shit is like a grandkid to us (we don't have any human grandchildren yet), but i guess that's because i spoil him rotten...

i don't know what i'd do all day if it wasn't for my doggy...

sympathies to you chief henry, but i suggest (like others have done) that you go and rescue a puppy or doggy from the pound...

a new dog may be the best therapy there is for you right now...

good luck...

Rausch
06-01-2005, 01:07 PM
They give us unconditional love, comfort us when we don't feel good, are sad, ill, whatever... they make us laugh and feel loved.

Exactly. Animals are everything people aren't...

Iowanian
06-01-2005, 01:09 PM
so you and yours left the house and put the dog in the kennel.
well how did poo get all over the kitchen floor?

I don't want to steal Henry's thread here, or hijack it.....

no kennel in the house...hasn't been a need for one. Normally goes outside on decent days, but didn't today, and he's been sick since
the weekend. Should have put him out, but was running late. Not his fault, but it still pisses me off.

Like I said....I'm out with my stuff. Sorry about your Dog Henry.

CASHMAN
06-01-2005, 01:10 PM
get a dog kennel or some t-posts and cattle/hog panels.

We have a kennel and we put or dog in it when we go to bed and when ever we leave, he isnt in there any longer then maybe 8 hours at the longest.
He knows to go down stairs to his home every time we put a toy in there with him and also make sure that we take him out right before we put him in there and out right when we get him out.
I want to have him sleep out of it at night and only put him in it when we leave but the wife cant sleep with him out at night, its like a kid she keeps waking up every hour wondering were he is we did try it one night and he did good but since the wife cant sleep he will stay in the kennel.
The good thing is he is house broke and thats a good thing he is 7 months old and knows how to sit and shake but not to keep off of company so we are taking him to class.
Funny thing is my wife wanted the dog and i had to tell her like a kid what all she was going to have to do, but quess who does it all she does help out some what but oh well we love him.

mikey23545
06-01-2005, 04:20 PM
My deepest condolences, Henry...

Probably almost every poster on the board has gone through what you have, and we know how it hurts.

Time will heal, my friend...

Bwana
06-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Sorry to hear about that Henry. I have been there many times myself and it sucks every time.

Inspector
06-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Condolences man.

They are part of the family.

Taco John
06-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Terribly sorry to hear of your loss...

I am a pet person myself. Two years ago, my dog came home from at trip to the beach with a tender spine, and a funny walk. Two days later, he couldn't get out of bed. I rushed him from vet to vet, and they referred us to a specialist who reccommended surgery for a ruptured spinal column. If we waited much longer, she said, the pressure would sever the spinal cord completely.

The operation was very costly, but worth every penny. Ollie is beginning his third summer since the incident, and he's going strong as ever. I love that pup. I think about it now and again. He's going to break my heart when it's time. He's eight years now. I hope to get at least another eight with him. At least...

Chief Henry
06-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I wasout of the office all afternoon and I just read what all of you had posted...

Iowanian, sounds like very bad timing and bad water
:)

Dan T. Thanks a ton. I'm going to share that my wife. I'm sure we'll start blubbering all over again.

God bless you all... :)

Frazod
06-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Exactly. Animals are everything people aren't...

Bingo.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Henry. One of our cats died about a year and a half ago and it still seems odd that she's not around. Losing pets sucks.:(