PDA

View Full Version : BIG DADDY- You ok?

Goapics1
06-01-2005, 11:14 AM
California landslide sends homes crashing
Two people suffer minor injuries
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 Posted: 12:35 PM EDT (1635 GMT)

LAGUNA BEACH, California (AP) -- A landslide sent six expensive homes and a section of street crashing down a hillside Wednesday and damaged a dozen or more other houses.

At least two people were taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, officials said. Crews were apparently able to evacuate many other residents before the hillside collapsed.

"The pipes started making funny noises and the toilet sounded like it was about to explode," said Carrie Joyce, a fire department office manager who lives in the neighborhood.

"I could see one house, huge, we call it the mausoleum, 5,000 square feet or more. It had buckled, the retaining wall in the front of it was cracked. It just looked like the whole house was going," she said.

Six homes had "major damage," fire Capt. Danell Adams said. The mayor of the Orange County coastal enclave said as many as 20 had some damage.

The soil continued moving beneath the homes.

Television helicopter footage showed smashed homes, trees, cars and a section of heavily built-up Flamingo Road that had plunged down the hillside about a mile inland from the beach.

Some of the houses remained nearly intact but others were ripped apart and created trails of debris.

Emergency officials were called at about 5 a.m. and "we believe we evacuated the people who could be in harm's way," Mayor Elizabeth Pearson-Schneider told KTTV.

Homes in the area, called Blue Bird Canyon and about 15 blocks from the ocean, are worth about $1.75 million, which the mayor described as "average" for the area.

Landslides have struck before in the area of picturesque but steep hills and canyons. In February 1998, a rainstorm triggered slides that damaged 300 homes, 18 of them seriously, and killed two people.

Several homes in the area were "red-tagged" as uninhabitable in February, during the second rainiest season on record in Southern California.

Laguna Beach is about 50 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

BIG_DADDY
06-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Yea I am in Northern California. The first house I looked at in La Honda is in a mudslide right now. Guess it's good I didn't get it.

KC Kings
06-01-2005, 11:35 AM
The story says "A landslide sent six expensive homes and a section of street crashing down a hillside Wednesday and damaged a dozen or more other houses."

1. I don't think expensive neighborhoods allow 43 Mexicans to live in a 3 bedroom house next door.
2. Average cost of a house in Cali is like 350k or something. Does this story mean expensive for California, or expensive for the rest of us?