PDA

View Full Version : Don't ask Bonds for an autograph

Brock
06-02-2005, 05:49 PM
...if you're white. Honestly, I hope Bonds dies in a burning car.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/311sd2.htm

Charity case? Barry, Barry disappointing

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Ron Kittle is no fan of Barry Bonds — not after his tense encounter with the slugger at Wrigley Field in 1993. Here's an excerpt from Kittle's book, describing how he approached Bonds with a couple of Bonds' game-worn San Francisco Giants road jerseys, asking him to autograph them for an auction for Kittle's charity for children with cancer:

"I paid about $110 of my own money for them, so they could be auctioned off at the golf outing. I did that all the time for stars like Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Derek Jeter and Roger Clemens. When I tell them how their autographs help the cause, every player gladly signs — with one exception.

I walked up to Bonds at his locker in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse, introduced myself and said, "Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help."

Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said, "I don't sign for white people." If lightning hits me today, I will swear those were his exact words. Matt Williams and other Giants were in the room and they heard what Bonds said.

I stood there for a minute, and the veins in my neck were popping. I've only been that mad a few times in my life. I was going to beat the (heck) out of him, really kick his (butt), but Williams saw what was happening, so he came over and got between us. Matt said, "Ron, that's just the way he is."

I said, "White guys aren't the only ones who get cancer," but Bonds had turned his back on me and walked out of the clubhouse. Somebody must have run in and alerted Dusty Baker, who was the manager of the Giants then.

So Dusty came out of his office, put his arm around me, gave me a big old hug and said, "Aw, Kitty, he's just got that (bad) attitude again." Dusty gave me an autographed team ball for the auction, but I never got the Bonds jerseys signed. Later, I gave one of them to Scott Paulson, the Wilson sporting goods representative, and shredded the other one. But that day, I drove from Wrigley Field at about 150 miles per hour and sat there, fuming.

I'll never forget what that man said. So if Barry Bonds is looking for a breath of fresh air to live and I'm the only one who has to give it to him, unfortunately, the man will die. I just don't like guys like that."

Asked about the incident, Kittle replied, "It's a true story. How could I make up something like that?"

Bonds' spokeswoman declined comment on Kittle's story. A Giants team spokesman also declined comment.

Ultra Peanut
06-02-2005, 05:51 PM
I walked up to Bonds at his locker in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse, introduced myself and said, "Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help."

Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said, "I don't sign for white people." If lightning hits me today, I will swear those were his exact words. Matt Williams and other Giants were in the room and they heard what Bonds said.Lindsay: (Cries.) He was so amazing!
Michael: That was actually an example of how not so amazing he was.

Demonpenz
06-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Everyone knows bonds is a word class dick and then acts surprised when he is mean. To me it's like the idiots who try to tease a lion at a zoo. Oh shit this tiger tried to bite me! Oh this guys an asshole lets talk to him, oh shit what a dickhead! It doesn't make it right but you mine as well face the facts the guy has enough money to act like a dick.

KCChiefsMan
06-02-2005, 05:56 PM
I stood there for a minute, and the veins in my neck were popping. I've only been that mad a few times in my life. I was going to beat the (heck) out of him, really kick his (butt), but Williams saw what was happening, so he came over and got between us. Matt said, "Ron, that's just the way he is."

It's a good thing for Bonds that Matt Williams broke that up..... :rolleyes:

Pants
06-02-2005, 05:57 PM

LOL

Rausch
06-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Yup, he's a pr!ck, but I just don't get that worked up over racism anymore.

If you're going to decide you don't like me just by looking at me you're probably doing me a favor...

Demonpenz
06-02-2005, 05:59 PM
if i was matt williams i would do anything to keep barry in the lineup more fastballs more rbi chances = more money

OmahaChief
06-02-2005, 07:49 PM
I met Bonds at the All Star game last year in Houston and he signed autos for all of my group and that was 15 of us and all of us are white. It all depends with a lot of these guys how you approach them. He was very gracious and a nice guy overall. He was a bit tense you could tell because a ton of other people started to come over while he was signing for us though.

You catch anyone of these guys are the wrong time and you are likely to get an earful.

At the same Gala we met Bonds, we saw Bob Feller, he was always known as an ahole but we approached him anyway. Dude about ripped our faces off when we asked. My buddy turned around and started to walk off and I gave ole Bob an earful. He smiled at me and said kid I like that you don't take shit from anyone. He signed a ball for me and my buddy turned around to get his auto and ole Feller told him NO, you are not man enough to have my signature. That was harsh but funny as hell.

I am not much of an autograph seeker but we were guests of MLB and have passes to all the VIP stuff and lots of guys were happy to sign.

KCJake
06-02-2005, 08:11 PM
:BS:

OmahaChief
06-02-2005, 08:48 PM
I would gladly show you a pic of the Bonds ball but it is in a safe deposit box with a bunch of other important shit. Here is the Feller ball and a Lou Brock I got at the same event.

Jenson71
06-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I saw Feller at a signing thing in town. He signed a ball and 8X10 for me.

OmahaChief
06-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Here are the tickets to all the events.

mikey23545
06-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm really surprised a Hurricane fan would make excuses for an asshole....

OmahaChief
06-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm really surprised a Hurricane fan would make excuses for an asshole....

I have yet to make one excuse for you.

As for Bonds, I am not saying he is not a jerk to a lot of people. He just was not a jerk to us.

Freekofnature
06-02-2005, 09:32 PM
I have yet to make one excuse for you.

As for Bonds, I am not saying he is not a jerk to a lot of people. He just was not a jerk to us.
THat still doesn't change the fact he is a jerk.

A world class one actually.

Rain Man
06-02-2005, 09:38 PM
I refuse to give autographs to the Swiss.

Don't ask.

Rain Man
06-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Speaking of autographs, I'd like to start an autograph collection, but not of sports figures. I'd like to collect historical figures.

I went on e-bay a while back, and there was a higher bid for a Dwayne Wade autographed rookie card than for a letter signed by former president Benjamin Harrison. What's up with that? There are probably a thousand or fewer Benjamin Harrison autographs, of which half will ever be for sale. At the end of Dwayne Wade's career, there'll probably be 50,000 of his autographs. Talk about a tulip craze...

Rausch
06-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Speaking of autographs, I'd like to start an autograph collection, but not of sports figures. I'd like to collect historical figures.

I went on e-bay a while back, and there was a higher bid for a Dwayne Wade autographed rookie card than for a letter signed by former president Benjamin Harrison. What's up with that? There are probably a thousand or fewer Benjamin Harrison autographs, of which half will ever be for sale. At the end of Dwayne Wade's career, there'll probably be 50,000 of his autographs. Talk about a tulip craze...

I've been thinking about that myself.

I'd love to have a Condi, Rudi, Powell, Ari, and GWB auto... :)

Frazod
06-02-2005, 09:45 PM

Uh, I've seen Ron Kittle in person. He ain't small. That would have been a good match, IMO.

As for the story, I have no trouble believing it. What a pure piece of shit.

Stinger
06-02-2005, 09:54 PM
ON Espn Radio they other day they said Barry might be back but not to break the HR record just to get past Babe Ruth. The Sports Bash Show I think, a lot of callers took offence to that statement, only time will tell I guess.

Freekofnature
06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
If he signed Omaha's stuff, he's a world class hypocrite.

A huge one.

Spicy McHaggis
06-02-2005, 10:50 PM

Yeah but this was 93 Bonds. Lots of guys here probably had a shot at taking him back then.

Tribal Warfare
06-02-2005, 11:33 PM
maybe Bonds was roiding it up too much that day :LOL: