PDA

View Full Version : "I don't have to play for the Eagles. I don't care what my teammates say."

Mr. Laz
06-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Posted on Fri, Jun. 03, 2005

Owens: 'I don't have to play for the Eagles'

Daily News Staff Reports

Terrell Owens was supposed to talk about Alzheimer's disease, not football. The Eagles' wide receiver ended up speaking about both.

Owens, who is skipping the team's current passing camp, held a press conference in Atlanta yesterday to promote his benefit event for Alzheimer's this weekend. He is involved because his grandmother, Alice Black, suffers from the disease.

However, he couldn't resist commenting on his attempt to renegotiate his contract.

Someone asked if it would be difficult for Owens to dedicate the event to his grandmother when the large throng of media mostly wanted to discuss his football situation.

"Not at all," he said in an interview that was broadcast on Comcast SportsNet last night. "She's always on my mind.

"It doesn't matter what they say [about me], whether in Philly, in San Francisco, and all over the world. They believe what they want to believe. In my heart, I know I'm doing the right thing. I don't have to play football. I don't have to play for the Eagles. I don't care what my teammates say."

For some reason, someone then asked if that meant he would play for the Falcons.

"I would play for anybody," Owens replied. "I'll play for anybody who allows me to go out there and do what I do. I just want to be paid what I deserve. If I'm one of the top players in the game, pay me like I'm one of the top players. What's fair is fair. That's not being selfish. That's not being greedy Right is right and wrong is wrong."

Is he ready, someone asked, to sit out the season to get more money?

"That's something that's going to be left up to certain situations," he answered. "The most important thing is my family.

Earlier in the interview, Owens said he doesn't seek the limelight whether it's at a charity event or on the field..

"I'm not a person who goes out and tries to get a lot of publicity. I don't use this as a publicity stunt to sidetrack things that are going on with me in the football world.

"I don't get a kick out of going public just to show people I'm a good person. Goodness comes from the heart.''

Goapics1
06-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh boy. He needs to feed his family.

Cntrygal
06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
He doesn't intentionally seek publicity? LMAO!!!!

Chiefnj
06-03-2005, 11:24 AM
It's a business. I'm just glad it's not KC's problem.

dirk digler
06-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Owens is a real piece of work. I am so glad he isn't playing for the Chiefs.

Simplex3
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
So when he writes fan mail to himself does he bother to respond?

Eleazar
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Right is right and wrong is wrong. So what about the contract you signed. Wouldn't right be to play under it and honor your word?

Bearcat
06-03-2005, 11:28 AM
"I would play for anybody," Owens replied.

Well, except Baltimore.

He wanted to be an Eagle SO badly...

Stinger
06-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Right is right and wrong is wrong. So what about the contract you signed. Wouldn't right be to play under it and honor your word?

Please don't confuse Mr. Owen with facts, it makes him dizzy. Thank You.

Sincerely,

Drew Rosenhaus

Kerberos
06-03-2005, 11:33 AM

WERD

:clap:

siberian khatru
06-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Eh, lack of respect for NFL contracts goes both ways.

Yeah, ask Johnnie Morton about that contract he was trying to honor.

Not that I give a shit about Saltboy.

HemiEd
06-03-2005, 11:44 AM
"In my heart, I know I'm doing the right thing. I don't have to play football. I don't have to play for the Eagles. I don't care what my teammates say."

Any doubt anyone had about this guy should be cleared up by this statement.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Eh, lack of respect for NFL contracts goes both ways.
not exactly ...

if the players contract is terminated the player still keeps the signing bonus with was part of the overall value of the contract.

in effect, the player gets severance pay if the team cuts him.

if the team regotiates the players contract, the player almost always benefits financially from it. They get a portion of their future earnings immediately. They can take their salary "advance" and stick it in the bank and collect interest on money for work they haven't done yet.

if the player wants a new contract he still keeps the signing bonus/severance pay and then gets more cash.

if the player is hurt and gets cut ... he gets an injury settlement/severance pay.

all these things happen AND player is still free to get a job with another team. The players can basically double dip on their nfl money.

its not the same ... it leans to the player in almost every situation

Fairplay
06-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Oh my Gosh! Oh my Gosh! Oh my Gosh! That pesky Satan is back and he hasn't aged a day!

bricks
06-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I knew it was only a matter of time Owens would create problems for the Eagles.

Poster Nutbag
06-03-2005, 11:53 AM
We'll see how he feels about "having" to play football when he runs out of money and has to work at a "real" job like the rest of us.

Whiney sack of crap!

Bwana
06-03-2005, 12:08 PM
The chump is easily the biggest dickweed in pro football. Rant on "Leon."

bricks
06-03-2005, 12:10 PM
The chump is easily the biggest dickweed in pro football. Rant on "Leon."

Yeah and he is also one hell of a damn WR!

Bwana
06-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Yeah and he is also one hell of a damn WR!

Oh there is no doubt about that and I wasn’t trying to dispute that fact. The question of the day is, is the guy worth the EXTREME disruptiveness he causes in the lock room and off the field by running his yap? I’m just glad the chump isn’t our issue.

Saulbadguy
06-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Terrel Owens: "I've had a rough night and I hate the ****in Eagles!"

BigMeatballDave
06-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah, ask Johnnie Morton about that contract he was trying to honor.

Not that I give a shit about Saltboy.You have a point, but Saltboy wasn't worth his... 'salt' ...

Calcountry
06-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Owens is a real piece of work. I am so glad he isn't playing for the Chiefs.You mean, holding out on the Chiefs.

BigChiefFan
06-03-2005, 01:20 PM
One year removed from signing a contract is a big tough shit, Owens. Looks like LEON is alive and well in Philly.