View Full Version : Boulware leaves cleveland without offer

Mr. Laz
06-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Posted on Fri, Jun. 03, 2005

Boulware leaves without offer

Browns want to inspect market for linebacker

By Patrick McManamon

Beacon Journal sports writer

CANTON - Free agent Peter Boulware visited Cleveland on Thursday morning and departed for Seattle early in the afternoon without a contract offer from the Browns.

``We don't want to be the team, so to speak, to kind of set the bar right now because we don't know where the bar is going to be,'' general manager Phil Savage said before speaking at the Canton Browns Backers banquet at the Hall of Fame.

The Browns gave Boulware a physical, and though he didn't say it directly, Savage sounded cautious about the health of the former Baltimore Ravens linebacker. Boulware missed all of last season with knee and toe injuries.

``I think he checks out OK physically,'' Savage said. ``The question is that the two most recent injuries, the left knee and the right big toe, are untested. It's a little bit of a venture into the unknown because this is a situation where he has not played in a year and you're not going to get an opportunity to see him work on the field prior to signing him.

``There's a risk involved there.''

Boulware will visit the Seahawks, where his brother Michael plays safety. Savage said Boulware has ``a couple other things lined up'' after that visit.

In other matters, Savage said some of the medical information on tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was sent to Winslow's doctor.

``I think most of it (the medical information) has been basically confirmed,'' Savage said. ``(There's) nothing set in terms of surgery or what have you. That's probably a few more weeks down the road.''

Winslow will not play this season because of a torn knee ligament suffered in a motorcycle crash.

Finally, Savage gave no indication that he is willing to honor the request of left tackle Ross Verba to redo his contract at a greatly increased salary.

``He's under contract to the Browns,'' Savage said. ``He has two years left. This (redoing the contract) is a subject that has been raised several months ago. At this point he's like the other guys on our team. He's under contract and there are obviously certain expectations that go with that.''

Savage said during his presentation that former Arizona tackle L.J. Shelton visited on Wednesday and was ``fairly impressive.''

The Canton Browns Backers banquet benefited the Stark County Children's Network.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Messages for Patrick McManamon can be left at pmcmanamon@thebeaconjournal.com

chagrin
06-03-2005, 11:38 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, as usual, but I still believe he's worth a look

ct
06-03-2005, 11:39 AM
So they hesitate to set the bar cause they have no clue what his value should be? Are they serious?

Rausch
06-03-2005, 11:41 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, as usual, but I still believe he's worth a look

TO me he's in the same camp as Ty Law.

If healthy he's a stud, and solid contributor. We could use them both.

But right now neither of these guys could probably even practice. Big injury risk and health concerns...

the Talking Can
06-03-2005, 11:44 AM
yeah, he and Law are in the same boat....and I think both are going to be shocked at the low offers they'll eventually have to sign...

bricks
06-03-2005, 11:51 AM
call me a homer, but, I don't think Ty Law will sign with anybody, boulware on the other hand will.

HemiEd
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
So they hesitate to set the bar cause they have no clue what his value should be? Are they serious?

Not quite as sharp as the Chiefs Management IMO. :hmmm:

BigChiefFan
06-03-2005, 02:03 PM
He once was dominant, but now he's just a solid player looking for work. I'd love for us to take a look, but I think his price tag is too rich for us at this point. I'd prefer Rod Gardner at WR(if he becomes available) for the money over a short term fix at LBer.