PDA

View Full Version : We need a movie thread...

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Cmon, what's the saddest movie you've ever seen? I want one that'll make me cry doggonnit.

J Diddy
06-05-2005, 06:50 PM
ol yeller

Baby Lee
06-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Do you mean tearjerking melodrama sad, or existentially bleak sad?

Because for the second, it was Kids for the longest, until I got Lilya 4-Ever from Netflix this week. Wow!!! Rough stuff.

Pants
06-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Read The Death of Ivan Ilych. I don't know why, but that book made me bawl. I never cry watching movies or reading books and needless to say I felt like a complete pussy afterwards, although it felt good to let go.

J Diddy
06-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Read the death of Ivan Ilych. I don't know why, but that book made me bawl. I never cry watching movies or reading books and needless to say I felt like a complete pussy afterwards, although it felt good to let go.

pussy

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Do you mean tearjerking melodrama sad, or existentially bleak sad?

Because for the second, it was Kids for the longest, until I got Lilya 4-Ever from Netflix this week. Wow!!! Rough stuff.

I'd never heard of that until just now. Looking it up quickly on imdb, I now really want to see that.

And that book sounds great too. Thank you, comrades. Although, now I feel like an uplifting, life affirming film.

Miles
06-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Here are a few that come to mind.

Autumn Sonata
The Elephant Man
The Pianist
Schindler's List
Ikiru

I have heard that Dancer in the Dark is pretty rough but i have never seen it.

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Here are a few that come to mind.

Autumn Sonata

They actually have this at the movie place on DVD. I've always thought about checking it out. I'll do so next time.

Pants
06-05-2005, 07:02 PM
The Pianist

The scene where the Jews are lined up layng face down on the ground was pretty disturbing. That f*ck had to reload.

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 07:03 PM
I want to see City of Angels too. I saw Wings of Desire and I guess this is like a spinoff or something.

Pants
06-05-2005, 07:04 PM
And that book sounds great too.

It's really short. I don't why I cried, but it wasn't even that sad, I just felt really bad for the guy.

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 07:06 PM
It's really short. I don't why I cried, but it wasn't even that sad, I just felt really bad for the guy.

Did you have to read a lot of that guy in school in whichever East Europe country you're from?

Miles
06-05-2005, 07:07 PM
They actually have this at the movie place on DVD. I've always thought about checking it out. I'll do so next time.

Oddly the video store by my old appartment had it too and it was their only Bergman on DVD. Its definitly worth checking out.

Pants
06-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Did you have to read a lot of that guy in school in whichever East Europe country you're from?

No, I left after 7th grade, I believe Leo Tolstoy comes in 8th grade and up. I read the book last year, in English. And I'm from Ukraine, or something, lol.

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Oddly the video store by my old appartment had it too and it was their only Bergman on DVD. Its definitly worth checking out.

Well, you've convinced me. I'm going soon.

Miles
06-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Read the death of Ivan Ilych. I don't know why, but that book made me bawl. I never cry watching movies or reading books and needless to say I felt like a complete pussy afterwards, although it felt good to let go.

I have never read any Tolstoy before. I will definitly look for it next time im at the bookstore.

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh I read the coolest thing from Bergman. Let me find it here....

Pants
06-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I have never read any Tolstoy before. I will definitly look for it next time im at the bookstore.

He's the one who wrote War and Peace. I don't suggest reading that, though. lol

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 07:24 PM
It's interesting. I don't agree with it all, of course, but it's still really cool. Bergman does sound less of an old grump than Godard. Godard is just too cynical now...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=144728&page=1&pp=30

About Orson Welles:
"Bergman: For me he's just a hoax. It's empty. It's not interesting. It's dead. Citizen Kane, which I have a copy of - is all the critics' darling, always at the top of every poll taken, but I think it's a total bore. Above all, the performances are worthless. The amount of respect that movie's got is absolutely unbelievable.
Aghed: How about The Magnificent Ambersons?
Bergman: Nah. Also terribly boring. And I've never liked Welles as an actor, because he's not really an actor. In Hollywood you have two categories, you talk about actors and personalities. Welles was an enormous personality, but when he plays Othello, everything goes down the drain, you see, that's when he's croaks. In my eyes he's an infinitely overrated filmmaker."

About Michelangelo Antonioni:
"Bergman: He's done two masterpieces, you don't have to bother with the rest. One is Blow-Up, which I've seen many times, and the other is La Notte, also a wonderful film, although that's mostly because of the young Jeanne Moreau. In my collection I have a copy of Il Grido, and damn what a boring movie it is. So devilishly sad, I mean. You know, Antonioni never really learned the trade. He concentrated on single images, never realising that film is a rhythmic flow of images, a movement. Sure, there are brilliant moments in his films. But I don't feel anything for L'Avventura, for example. Only indifference. I never understood why Antonioni was so incredibly applauded. And I thought his muse Monica Vitti was a terrible actress."

About Federico Fellini:
"Bergman: We were supposed to collaborate once, and along with Kurosawa make one love story each for a movie produced by Dino de Laurentiis. I flew down to Rome with my script and spent a lot of time with Fellini while we waited for Kurosawa, who finally couldn't leave Japan because of his health, so the project went belly-up. Fellini was about to finish Satyricon. I spent a lot of time in the studio and saw him work. I loved him both as a director and as a person, and I still watch his movies, like La Strada and that childhood rememberance - what's that called again?
The interviewer has also seen the movie several times, but just now the title slips his mind. Bergman laughs delightedly.
Bergman: Great that you're also a bit senile! That pleases me.
(Later the same day, several hours after the interview, the phone rings. It's Bergman. 'AMARCORD!' he shouts.)"

About Francois Truffaut:
"Bergman: I liked Truffaut a lot, I've felt a lot of admiration for his way to address the audience, and his storytelling. La nuit américaine is adorable, and another film I like to see is L'enfant sauvage, with its fine humanism."

About Jean-Luc Godard:
"Bergman: I've never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a ****ing bore. He's made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin, féminin, was shot here in Sweden. It was mindnumbingly boring."

About Andrei Tarkovsky:
"Late one evening in 1971, Bergman and his friend and director Kjell Grede by pure coincidence stumbled upon a copy of Andrej Rubljov in a screening room at Svensk Filmindustri. They saw it without any subtitles. He ranks it to be one of his most startling and unforgettable movie experiences ever."

About modern American cinema:
"Bergman: Among today's directors I'm of course impressed by Steven Spielberg and Scorsese, and Coppola, even if he seems to have ceased making films, and Steven Soderbergh - they all have something to say, they're passionate, they have an idealistic attitude to the filmmaking process. Soderbergh's Traffic is amazing. Another great couple of examples of the strength of American cinema is American Beauty and Magnolia."

KCChiefsMan
06-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Gladiator

The ending makes me cry every time

Miles
06-05-2005, 07:37 PM
It's interesting. I don't agree with it all, of course, but it's still really cool. Bergman does sound less of an old grump than Godard. Godard is just too cynical now...

Great stuff. I really liked his comments on Godard and think they are dead on. Though i have only seen two Godard flicks and will still give him a few more chances.

Nzoner
06-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Where The Red Fern Grows,dogs get me everytime.

The book is a great read as well,the first time I heard it our 6th grade male teacher read it to the class,he and most of the class were bawling like babies at the end.

luv
06-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Beaches.....c'mon, who wouldn't cry with a movie that has Bette Midler singing Wind Beneath My Wings? ROFL

I also bawl every time I watch Pearl Harbor or Armageddon.

Pants
06-05-2005, 09:39 PM

"every time"? :shake:

Deberg_1990
06-05-2005, 09:41 PM

Actually, Armegeddon does get to me just a tad at the end. When Willis is talking to his daughter for the last time.

luv
06-05-2005, 09:42 PM
"every time"? :shake:

Okay:

1. I am a chick. I cry at whatever I want. It's my right.
2. Maybe not EVERY time, but if I haven't watched them in a while (I own both), then yes, I do cry.

Pants
06-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Okay:

1. I am a chick. I cry at whatever I want. It's my right.
2. Maybe not EVERY time, but if I haven't watched them in a while (I own both), then yes, I do cry.

I meant watching those movies more than once. :)

luv
06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Actually, Armegeddon does get to me just a tad at the end. When Willis is talking to his daughter for the last time.

I lose it when the tear drops out of his eye. :deevee:

luv
06-05-2005, 09:45 PM
I meant watching those movies more than once. :)

Okay, I can see why a guy wouldn't want to watch Pearl Harbor more than once, but Armageddon is AWESOME.

Pants
06-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Armageddon is AWESOME.

:shake: :)

C-Mac
06-05-2005, 10:03 PM
"Brians Song" was the first movie that made me cry whne I was a young feller and I dont know if a football thing or but "Remember the Titans" got to me.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Edward Scissorhands. :(

Fairplay
06-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I'll admit i had to hold back a tear or two during a part in the 2004 movie
Dawn of the Dead.
When the part towards the end of the movie when that dude was on the bus being attacked by a several zombies and he blew up the whole thing with this huge propane tank.
Here is a picture of the hero during his last seconds before he dies....

Rausch
06-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Cmon, what's the saddest movie you've ever seen? I want one that'll make me cry doggonnit.

Dude, outside the closet there's a whole room full of people. Chex mix too...

Hammock Parties
06-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Seriously, if you watch Edward Scissorhands and don't shed tears at the end...you have no soul.

milkman
06-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Seriously, if you watch Edward Scissorhands and don't shed tears at the end...you have no soul.

How the hell did you even make it to the end of that freakin' movie?

Fairplay
06-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Here is a site for Romero's new movie this summer. "Land of the Dead."
It looks awesome. Im sure there will be a tear jerking moment for me in it as well. I'll try not to shed a tear though.

http://a.justmovietrailers.com/video/5196/george_a._romeros_land_of_the_dead_trailer_300.html

The storyline for the movie.........

In a modern-day world where the walking dead roam an uninhabited wasteland, the living try to lead "normal" lives behind the walls of a fortified city. A new society has been built by a handful of enterprising, ruthless opportunists, who live in the towers of a skyscraper, high above the hard-scrabble existence on the streets below. But outside the city walls, an army of the dead is evolving. Inside, anarchy is on the rise. With the very survival of the city at stake, a group ...

Pants
06-05-2005, 10:31 PM

No, it's more like, if you drop a tear, you're either a girl or a homo.

Rausch
06-05-2005, 10:37 PM

Exactly.

Anyone leaving a Johnny Depp movie with a smile should be punched in the face...

Hammock Parties
06-05-2005, 10:37 PM

C'mon. How can you not be moved by the story of poor Edward? Danny Elfman's track at the end of the film is one of the most amazing pieces of film music ever composed.

Frazod
06-05-2005, 10:44 PM
The end of Field of Dreams makes me cry like a little girl every time. Tough movie for someone who lost a parent too early in life.

And it's not a movie, but the episode of M*A*S*H where Henry Blake dies always kicks my ass. When I first saw it as a child I was hysterical.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2005, 10:47 PM
FOD gets me, too. But it's a happy cry, as is Return of the King and other films that make me blubber.

AustinChief
06-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Life is Beautiful

The 400 Blows

AustinChief
06-05-2005, 11:20 PM
another...

Au revoir les enfants

Simplex3
06-05-2005, 11:24 PM
The only time I cried at a movie was The Grinch that Stole Christmas. When he ties the dog to the sled and is running him over down the mountain. I was 4.

Actually I cried on the inside at the end of "Titanic". I was sad that I spent money on it and that I would never get those hours of my life back. I think I did get sex for going, though.

Vegas_Dave
06-06-2005, 12:12 AM
for something newer that just tugs at the heart strings: "I Am Sam".

I thought it was an EXCELLENT movie and one of my all time favorites. Personally, I fealt that Sean Penn should have received the Best Actor Oscar but that was the year that Denzell got his for Training Day.

I saw both movies and I was stunned that Penn didnt get it. From sheer acting alone, I fealt that he completely outperformed Denzell.

In either case, great movie that has plenty of tear jerking moments. In fact, I think that was the 1st movie that ever made me cry.

Psyko Tek
06-06-2005, 12:22 AM
the movies that really make me cry are ...
beastial pron
because these hot women will suck off a farm animal,but won't **** me for fun

other than that Brian's song

ZootedGranny
06-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Dancer in the Dark

Utterly depressing.

Psyko Tek
06-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Exactly.

Anyone leaving a Johnny Depp movie with a smile should be punched in the face...

how could you not smile when leaving"Pirates of the Caribean"

depp just mauled that movie it was fun

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 12:34 AM
While I didn't cry, the following always move me:

1. The Fisher King - My favorite performance by Robin Williams of all time.
2. The Grapes of Wrath - Sure, the book had a great deal to do with it, but every performance in the movie was stunning - right down to the extras
3. Kramer Vs. Kramer - Hoffman struggles and struggles to do the right thing and still loses his only reason for being
4. Gallipoli - My favorite Gibson movie. One of those where you already know the history, but you still want the people to beat the odds.
5. Watership Down - The only bit of animation that ever moved me.
6. The Killing Fields - Another doomed from the first frame, but you can't help caring.
7. Ordinary People - You watch a family do abosutely nothing to save their failing relationships, maddening and heartwrenching
8. The Passion of the Christ - Even with its controversy, the anguish is undeniable
9. CasablancaYou are sure that Rick and Ilsa belong together. Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into his. How can it not be fate?
10. Requiem for a Dream - Ellen Burstyn's monologue on aging is so moving the camera man drifts his angle out of the shot.... because he is crying. The director let the shot stand

Honorable Mention:
Leaving Las Vegas - There has to be a faster way to kill yourself.
Simon Birch - Damn, how can these parents be that bad, seriously?

J Diddy
06-06-2005, 01:03 AM
the movies that really make me cry are ...
beastial pron
because these hot women will suck off a farm animal,but won't **** me for fun

other than that Brian's song

I am thinking that I wouldn't want to f@ck a women who just sucked off a goat.

I guess I'm picky that way.

Rausch
06-06-2005, 02:14 AM
how could you not smile when leaving"Pirates of the Caribean"

depp just mauled that movie it was fun

You're honeslty asking me why I didn't go see a movie based on a ****ing Disney Ride with Johnny Depp as the lead man?...

Rausch
06-06-2005, 02:15 AM
I am thinking that I wouldn't want to f@ck a women who just sucked off a goat.

I guess I'm picky that way.

Preach on brother...

J Diddy
06-06-2005, 02:15 AM
You're honeslty asking me why I didn't go see a movie based on a ****ing Disney Ride with Johnny Depp as the lead man?...

I thought it was a good movie, but I've never been to disney world either. Not until this Saturday... I'll let you know if the ride is as good as they movie.

ChiefFripp
06-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Ray almost made me cry, thankfully I have a heart that is made of charcoal.

Rausch
06-06-2005, 02:21 AM
I thought it was a good movie, but I've never been to disney world either. Not until this Saturday... I'll let you know if the ride is as good as they movie.

You're really just a script Endelt wrote to piss me off. Right?

I'm right, aren't I?...

J Diddy
06-06-2005, 02:26 AM
You're really just a script Endelt wrote to piss me off. Right?

I'm right, aren't I?...

just type
c:/windows/program files/Rauschpisseroffer.exe

Rausch
06-06-2005, 02:30 AM
just type
c:/windows/program files/Rauschpisseroffer.exe

YOU ARE!

He knows I can't ****ing stand windows! :cuss:

J Diddy
06-06-2005, 02:33 AM
YOU ARE!

He knows I can't ****ing stand windows! :cuss:

Man I am not trying to piss anyone off. Just having fun in my off humor sort of way. I didn't mean to offend anyone....

I think i'm gonna go sulk now..
:(

Rausch
06-06-2005, 02:38 AM
Man I am not trying to piss anyone off. Just having fun in my off humor sort of way. I didn't mean to offend anyone....

I think i'm gonna go sulk now..
:(

Calm down Francis.

Jenson71
06-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Hey, you know what. We're gonna all be friends on the sad movie thread, mkay? Thanks.

J Diddy
06-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Calm down Francis.

Suddenly I felt this overwhelming urge to get some popcorn, pop in some of those videos these people are talking about and do some interior decorating.

Thank god I snapped out of it.

J Diddy
06-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Hey, you know what. We're gonna all be friends on the sad movie thread, mkay? Thanks.

Calm down Francis.

What he said.

Rausch
06-06-2005, 02:50 AM

1st: you can take a fine toothed comb and pull the curl outta' yer plot hairs.

2nd, if you must, I toss out my sad flicks:

1) Requiem For A Dream
2) When We Were Kings
3) House of Sand and Fog
4) The Elephant Man (if that don't do it for you, you ain't human.)
5) The Day After

Fairplay
06-06-2005, 03:58 AM
All right you crybabys lets talk about real movies not one where we can pull out our dainty hanks and blow our noses.

How about this movie coming out in August? It looks cool. People get killed off one by one. Thats what they get for going into a deep dark cave. :evil:

T H E - C A V E

Website and trailor below

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thecave/

David.
06-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Okay, I can see why a guy wouldn't want to watch Pearl Harbor more than once, but Armageddon is AWESOME.

Pearl Harbor MAY be the worst movie ever made.

David.
06-06-2005, 07:14 AM

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Blow
From Hell

all good movies

and POTC is good too.

David.
06-06-2005, 07:16 AM
for something newer that just tugs at the heart strings: "I Am Sam".

I thought it was an EXCELLENT movie and one of my all time favorites. Personally, I fealt that Sean Penn should have received the Best Actor Oscar but that was the year that Denzell got his for Training Day.

I saw both movies and I was stunned that Penn didnt get it. From sheer acting alone, I fealt that he completely outperformed Denzell.

In either case, great movie that has plenty of tear jerking moments. In fact, I think that was the 1st movie that ever made me cry.

apparently the role wasn't a big enough stretch for him...

Fire Me Boy!
06-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Blow
From Hell

all good movies

and POTC is good too.
I haven't read anything but the last few posts... From Hell was crap! Course that's just my opinion... I could be wrong (in the immortal words of Dennis Miller).

David.
06-06-2005, 07:53 AM
I haven't read anything but the last few posts... From Hell was crap! Course that's just my opinion... I could be wrong (in the immortal words of Dennis Miller).

I enjoyed it. But I like weird shit.

Thig Lyfe
06-06-2005, 07:56 AM
I saw Cinderella Man yesterday. It was quite touching.

Fire Me Boy!
06-06-2005, 08:08 AM
I saw Cinderella Man yesterday. It was quite touching.
Yeah, I was going to mention that... not really depressing, but several points that might make you cry. The first time I saw it (about a month ago), there were 3-4 times I cried... the second time, not so much, but my wife bawled throughout the first half.

jspchief
06-06-2005, 08:30 AM
It took every ounce of self control to not sob like a child at the end of Million Dollar Baby.

That 9/11 movie by the french brothers that were filiming a documentary about firemen when the attacks occurred makes me cry. It does an excellent job of capturing the scope of that tragedy. Every American should watch that film at least once, if not once per year.

Just about anything where the dog/horse dies gets me too.

milkman
06-06-2005, 08:01 PM

I beg to differ.
Battlefield Earth is the absolute worst.

Fire Me Boy!
06-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I beg to differ.
I really beg to differ there, Battlefield Earth is at least fun on the cheese factor... Pearl Harbor isn't even that.

Pants
06-06-2005, 08:30 PM
I beg to differ.

Obviously you've never seen Hercules in New York. That movie was so shitty, me and my friends couldn't stop laughing the whole time at how pathetic it was.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
It took every ounce of self control to not sob like a child at the end of Million Dollar Baby.

Why jail your emotions so, jspchief? Have a good cry.

Frazod
06-06-2005, 08:35 PM

Pearl Harbor sucks, and is offensive, annoying and insulting. Even the special effects were weak - Tora Tora Tora was more convincing with toy battleships in a big tank.

But worst movie ever made (I assuming we're talking major, modern films)? Not even close. A few that instantly come to mind are Dune, Conan the Destroyer, Batman & Robin and Tango & Cash. All of those make Pearl Harbor look like a masterpiece.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2005, 08:36 PM
There's nothing wrong with any of the Batman movies. Not after POW! BIFF! BAM!

jspchief
06-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Pearl Harbor sucks, and is offensive, annoying and insulting. Even the special effects were weak - Tora Tora Tora was more convincing with toy battleships in a big tank.

But worst movie ever made (I assuming we're talking major, modern films)? Not even close. A few that instantly come to mind are Dune, Conan the Destroyer, Batman & Robin and Tango & Cash. All of those make Pearl Harbor look like a masterpiece.My biggest problem with Pearl Harbor is, not only did it suck, but I was conned into actually thinking it was a war movie. Had I known it was "Titanic part two, The Dock" I never would have agreed to watch it.

milkman
06-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Obviously you've never seen Hercules in New York. That movie was so shitty, me and my friends couldn't stop laughing the whole time at how pathetic it was.

I've seen it.
The fact that it is so pathetic that it makes you laugh makes it a better movie that BE.

BE just pissed me off that I wasted about an hour or so watching it before I said this is just crap, I can't watch any more.

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 08:39 PM
There's nothing wrong with any of the Batman movies. Not after POW! BIFF! BAM!
Nope, Tim is right.

There is a huge difference between deliberate camp on a television series and imprinted latex male nipples in the supposed serious movie.

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 08:40 PM
My biggest problem with Pearl Harbor is, not only did it suck, but I was conned into actually thinking it was a war movie. Had I known it was "Titanic part two, The Dock" I never would have agreed to watch it.
I had a good chuckle when I saw Liv Tyler walk into a building that had 1948 etched in the stone above the doorway.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Nope, Tim is right.

There is a huge difference between deliberate camp on a television series and imprinted latex male nipples in the supposed serious movie.

C'mon, putting Arnold in a suit and giving him an ice cannon isn't "deliberate camp?"

There's nothing wrong with ANY of the Batman movies. :harumph:

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 08:44 PM
C'mon, putting Arnold in a suit and giving him an ice cannon isn't "deliberate camp?"

There's nothing wrong with ANY of the Batman movies. :harumph:
Sorry, I just don't think Tim Burton envisioned Gayman and Buttboy as the legacy to his dark and twisted original work.

Joel Schumacher is absolutely the worst when it comes to creating an atmosphere and trying to interpret what an audience truly wants.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Sorry, I just don't think Tim Burton envisioned Gayman and Buttboy as the legacy to his dark and twisted original work.

Joel Schumacher is absolutely the worst when it comes to creating an atmosphere and trying to interpret what an audience truly wants.

Obviously Schumacher decided to go in a different direction. I don't really have a problem with it. Trying to be serious about a guy that dresses up like a Bat is just... ROFL

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Obviously Schumacher decided to go in a different direction. I don't really have a problem with it. Trying to be serious about a guy that dresses up like a Bat is just... ROFL
Funny coming from a guy that has no problem being serious about a Jim Henson puppet holding a flourescent light as a weapon.

Frazod
06-06-2005, 09:12 PM

Actually, Schumacher generally does pretty good work. Phantom of the Opera in particular is excellent, and I really liked Lost Boys and Flatliners. But he sure laid an egg with B&R.

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Actually, Schumacher generally does pretty good work. Phantom of the Opera in particular is excellent, and I really liked Lost Boys and Flatliners. But he sure laid an egg with B&R.
Never saw Phantom

I did see:
The Incredible Shrinking Woman
8MM
Phone Booth
Tigerland
and Flawless
They all stunk

I loved Lost Boys and can take or leave Flatliners.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Phone Booth was great...I was riveted.

Frazod
06-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Never saw Phantom

I did see:
8MM
Phone Booth
Tigerland
and Flawless
They all stunk

Damn, of that list, I've only seen 8MM, and since I don't remember anything about it, apparently it wasn't very memorable.

Phantom is awesome - a bit slow in parts, but so is the play. There are parts of it that are simply amazing. The girl who plays Christine should get an Oscar.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Phantom was pretty good. The sets were amazing. The guy who played the Phantom was horrible though. As one review said, he's less the phantom of the opera and more a "fashionably scarred stud."

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Phone Booth was great...I was riveted.
If riveted means comfortably snoring, I wish I were.

A 2 hour conversation about morals with a fake NY accent from Colin Farrell is not my idea of a good time.

Frazod
06-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Phantom was pretty good. The sets were amazing. The guy who played the Phantom was horrible though. As one review said, he's less the phantom of the opera and more a "fashionably scarred stud."

He wasn't horrible, but he certainly wasn't on the level of Emily Rossum (Christine).

They would have been better served by using one of the guys who performs Phantom on stage.

Miles
06-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Never saw Phantom

I did see:
8MM
Phone Booth
Tigerland
and Flawless
They all stunk

Yeah most of his are medocre at best. And thats probably being generous.

Besides the Lost Boys, the only other one of his that I enjoyed was A Time to Kill. Falling Down and Veronica Gueren were not too bad either.

Hammock Parties
06-06-2005, 10:25 PM
He wasn't horrible, but he certainly wasn't on the level of Emily Rossum (Christine).

They would have been better served by using one of the guys who performs Phantom on stage.

He was horrible when he SANG.

QuikSsurfer
06-06-2005, 11:57 PM
requiem for a dream

David.
06-07-2005, 01:58 AM
requiem for a dream

that movie didn't make me cry, it just made me want to curl into the fetus position on the couch. Put me in the most apathetic mood ever.

Hammock Parties
06-07-2005, 02:00 AM
requiem for a dream

One of several movies I refuse to see, along with My Dog Skip and Paycheck.

David.
06-07-2005, 02:01 AM
One of several movies I refuse to see, along with My Dog Skip and Paycheck.

why? It's really a great movie.

Pants
that movie didn't make me cry, it just made me want to curl into the fetus position on the couch. Put me in the most apathetic mood ever.

I quit watching it on the "mother in the hospital" scene. The movie totally f*cked with my mind.

Hammock Parties
If riveted means comfortably snoring, I wish I were.

A 2 hour conversation about morals with a fake NY accent from Colin Farrell is not my idea of a good time.

I loved it. It was a unique idea and Kiefer Sutherland was great as the sniper.

Hammock Parties
06-07-2005, 02:02 AM
why? It's really a great movie.

Read your own post again. I've heard the same kind of thing from too many people.

David.
06-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Well it is a ****ed up movie, but it's a beautifully done movie. You really care for the characters by the end of the film. It's pretty emotional.

Otter
06-07-2005, 03:36 AM
Calm down Francis.

A. It's not "calm down Francis" it's "lighten up Francis".

B. Both Blow and Donnie Brasco are good Johnnie Depp Movies

Fire Me Boy!
06-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Damn, of that list, I've only seen 8MM, and since I don't remember anything about it, apparently it wasn't very memorable.

Phantom is awesome - a bit slow in parts, but so is the play. There are parts of it that are simply amazing. The girl who plays Christine should get an Oscar.

Phantom is NO WHERE NEAR awesome... the Emmy Rossum (Christine) shouldn't be allowed within 5 miles of the theater where the Oscars are given, let alone deserve a nomination (which she got, amazingly). As I said back in December (read below), it's a decent production, but the acting was pretty mediocre (save Minnie Driver who was excellent).

And on subsequent viewings (one more in the theater with my wife and once on video), my opinions of this film have gone down every time... now, I pretty much say that the film started out like it was going to be a blockbuster -- the opening sequence and overture were nothing short of inspired... unfortunately, it went down hill after that.

Saw a screening last week of Phantom...

Now, I'm a HUGE fan of the stage play (and I've seen it 6 times)... aside from being a film critic, my minor in college was music (specifically vocal performance), so I felt going in I was possibly born for this review. Anyway, Phantom has good and bad...

As a Joel Schumacher film, you can expect in the very least something visually stunning, and Phantom does not disappoint. The production design is absolutely first-rate, including set and costume design.

As far as the acting is concerned, this is an opera first and a film second. On that note (no pun intended), Emmy Rossum (who plays Christine Daae) was quite good. She is a trained opera singer and has performed in over 20 plays, making her debut at the NY Metropolitan at the age of 7. To expect her to be anything other than outstanding would be a mistake. She has a beautiful, pristine, young voice. Perfect for the role.

Patrick Wilson (playing Raoul), who has been a soloist with the Mostly Pops Orchestra and Canton Symphony Orchestra and earned a Tony nomination in 2002 as Curly in "Oklahoma," was also nothing short of amazing... vocally. His acting, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired.

The surprise of the cast is Minnie Driver as diva Carlotta. Her voice is truly great, and her choice to overact everything is perfect for the role.

Miranda Richardson (Madame Giry), Simon Callow (Andre), and Ciaran Hinds (Firmin) all are more than suitable supporting cast members.

The problem: the lead is not what he should be. Gerard Butler's portrayal of the Phantom is just sad... he decision to portray Phantom as a screaming maniac was probably made to cover the fact that he just doesn't have a very good voice. That's not really a fair statement. He has potential to have a very nice voice, but right now Butler is untrained. His falsetto range is beautiful, but unsupported. His low range is lackign for the role, and consequently the lower parts of the music come out heavy, almost burp-like.

Very little has changed to the story. A few things have been moved around and there is one scene of exposition detailing Phantom's childhood and how he came to live in the dungeons of the Opera Populaire. Some of the music has been edited for time, which is a disappointment to fans of the stage play.

At 143 minutes, the film is only about 15 minutes shorter than the stage play. But if you see the stage play there is a 20-minute intermission... and that's just about right. In the movies though, Phantom of the Opera runs a little long.

EDIT: Phantom opens Dec. 22, 2004.

Amnorix
06-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure how much crying you'll do (maybe some), but the all-time depressing double feature for me would probably be Schindler's List and Leaving Las Vegas.

After watching those two back to back, you'll probably be near-suicidal.

Nzoner
06-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Well it is a ****ed up movie, but it's a beautifully done movie. You really care for the characters by the end of the film. It's pretty emotional.

Have you seen the writer's other work that was made into a movie it's called Last Exit To Brooklyn (http://imdb.com/title/tt0097714/)?

While not as intense as Requiem it has some scenes that will leave you numb as well.The cast is decent with Burt Young,Stephen Lang,Jerry Orbach and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

HC_Chief
06-07-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure how much crying you'll do (maybe some), but the all-time depressing double feature for me would probably be Schindler's List and Leaving Las Vegas.

After watching those two back to back, you'll probably be near-suicidal.

Schindler's List is brilliant.
The Pianist is also excellent.
The Elephant Man is also outstanding.

Movies regarding cruelty of man to fellow man always f*ck with me. Probably why I'm so anti-social. 4321

Fire Me Boy!
06-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Schindler's List is brilliant.
The Pianist is also excellent.
The Elephant Man is also outstanding.

Movies regarding cruelty of man to fellow man always f*ck with me. Probably why I'm so anti-social. 4321
Check out Murder in the First... it's about a kid who steals gum (I think) from a local store... which happens to be a Post Office. The dumbass prosecutor decides to prosecute the 14-15 y/o as an adult, for theft of gov't property (I think)... anyway, it's a federal offense because the store doubles as a Post Office. Kid's sent to prison and brutality turns him into a monster... ends up killing a guard (again, I think). Turns out to be the convict that begins to turn the tables on Alcatraz (once again, I think)...

A lot of this is fuzzy, it's been a while since I saw it... but very good movie. Stars Kevin Bacon, who is very good in it.

ct
06-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Gladiator

The ending makes me cry every time

Oh come on!!! Gladiator was pathetic! What was a pretty good film was absolutely ruined by that Hollywood speech at the ending. Totally wasted the entire film!

HC_Chief
06-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Oh come on!!! Gladiator was pathetic! What was a pretty good film was absolutely ruined by that Hollywood speech at the ending. Totally wasted the entire film!

Yep.
Crowe should have received the Oscar the year before; not for this multi-million-dollar piece of crap.

Chiefnj
06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm going to take some razzing, but some pretty sad movies are:

Field of Dreams, My Girl, My Life (a Michael Keaton film, I think that's the correct title) and the Notebook was pretty touching.

KcMizzou
06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Can't really think of any movies...

But I do remember reading "Where the Red Fern Grows" 3 or 4 times as a kid. Bawled every time.

Jenson71
06-07-2005, 11:53 AM
The Deer Hunter
Tokyo Story