PDA

View Full Version : Rick Gosselin's Pre-season Rankings

jspchief
06-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Off-season rankings: Cowboys in NFL's bottom half
Since their latest postseason comedown, talent-rich Eagles have limited their losses
12:47 PM CDT on Sunday, June 5, 2005 By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/img/standing/sports/columnists/mugs/mug_gosselin.jpg The Philadelphia Eagles are due. Overdue, in fact. Way overdue.
If you subtract three Sundays from this decade – the three Sundays that the New England Patriots have won Super Bowls – the Eagles would be the NFL's best team of the 2000s.
Tell us
Thoughts on Gosselin's NFL off-season rankings? Vote (http://www.dallasnews.com/perl/common/surveys/display_full.pl?action=comment_now&poll_id=834&site=DallasWebSites&thissite=dallasnews) | View Results (http://www.dallasnews.com/perl/common/surveys/vote_now.pl?action=viewResults&poll_id=834&site=DallasWebSites&thissite=dallasnews)

Philadelphia has 59 victories this decade, six more than any other NFL team. The Eagles are on pace to win 118 games, which would be an NFL record for any decade. Philadelphia is the only team to qualify for the playoffs all five seasons of the decade and the only team to win four division titles. But the Eagles have yet to win a Super Bowl – and it took them every bit of five seasons just to reach one last February.
The New England team that defeated Philadelphia, 24-21, that day has lost its offensive and defensive coordinators, two Pro Bowl defenders (linebacker Tedy Bruschi and cornerback Ty Law) and two other starters (guard Joe Andruzzi and defensive tackle Keith Traylor).
The Eagles lost two starters in free agency – guard Jermane Mayberry and defensive end Derrick Burgess – but replaced them with recent first-round draft picks Shawn Andrews and Jerome McDougle. A league-high nine Pro Bowlers also return. So put Philadelphia atop the annual off-season rankings by The Dallas Morning News.
E-mail rgosselin@dallasnews.com (rgosselin@dallasnews.com)

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">1. Philadelphia

The off-season crisis for the Eagles is the renegotiation demand of WR Terrell Owens.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-05/0605mcnabb.jpg AP
Donovan McNabb

Even if Owens sits, which is unlikely, the Eagles won't be crippled by his absence. Philadelphia lost incumbent Pro Bowl players each of the previous three off-seasons – LB Jeremiah Trotter in 2002, DE Hugh Douglas in 2003 and CB Troy Vincent in 2004 – and still advanced to the NFC title game each season. No. 2 draft pick Reggie Brown is a superb insurance policy at wide receiver. He caught 141 passes at Georgia and has 4.38-second speed in the 40.
Final '04 rank: 2

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">2. Pittsburgh

The NFL's best defense returns intact with an upgrade at nose tackle. Pro Bowler Casey Hampton is back after missing the final 10 games of 2004 with a knee injury.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-05/0605ben.jpg AP
Ben Roethlisberger

G Kendall Simmons also is back after missing the season with a knee injury. So the two lines should be improved. NFL Rookie of the Year QB Ben Roethlisberger also will be a year older and a year better. He looks to have a greater impact with his arm. Pittsburgh protected him a year ago, and the Steelers ranked only 28th in passing. If they turn him loose, he could become a 4,000-yard passer.
Final '04 rank: 3

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">3. New England

The Patriots have built the first dynasty of the salary-cap era but will have to overcome some titanic losses to win a fourth Super Bowl this decade. Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis left to become head coach at Notre Dame, defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel left to become head coach of the Cleveland Browns and LB Tedy Bruschi, the traffic cop of a top-10 defense, suffered a stroke that figures to sideline him in 2005. But coach Bill Belichick and QB Tom Brady still form a daunting combination.
Final '04 rank: 1

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">4. Indianapolis

Peyton Manning did everything last season except win a Super Bowl. He captured NFL MVP honors, won a passing title and broke league records that were decades old. But if he is ever to win a championship, the Colts must start playing some defense. They ranked 29th in the NFL in 2004 – the worst finish in Tony Dungy's nine-year head coaching career. Any improvement must come from within. The Colts didn't sign any veteran free agents but did draft defenders with five of their first six picks.
Final '04 rank: 4

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">5. Carolina

The Panthers don't need better players to become Super Bowl contenders, just healthier ones. With a healthy roster, Carolina was the best team in the NFC in 2003. But its two best offensive weapons (WR Steve Smith and RB Stephen Davis) and best defender (DT Kris Jenkins) combined to miss 41 games in 2004. Only four of the 22 primary starters managed to play entire 16-game seasons. A healthy roster – plus the additions of G Mike Wahle, CB Ken Lucas and FS Idrees Bashir – makes the Panthers contenders again.
Final '04 rank: 11

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">6. San Diego

The Chargers were one of the youngest teams in the NFL in 2004, and one of the most successful with 12 victories and an AFC West title. All 22 starters are back, a rarity in a salary-cap world, and the Chargers used the draft to patch some holes. First-round LB Shawne Merriman bolsters a weak pass rush, and second-round WR Vincent Jackson brings speed to the passing game. RB LaDainian Tomlinson may be the most complete player in the NFL.
Final '04 rank: 6

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">7. Jacksonville

An inability to beat Houston cost the Jaguars a playoff spot in 2004. They went 0-2 against the Texans and 9-5 against everyone else, including victories at Indianapolis and Green Bay. QB Byron Leftwich is an emerging star on offense, and the defensive tackle combo of Marcus Stroud and John Henderson is the best in the business. The Jaguars also have built an offensive line with high draft picks. Jacksonville could be the breakthrough team of 2005.
Final '04 rank: 12

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">8. Minnesota

Can the subtraction from the roster of the most talented player in the game (Randy Moss) make the Vikings a better team?
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-05/0605culpepper.jpg AP
Daunte Culpepper

If Mike Tice is successful with his defensive overhaul – five new veteran starters have arrived – the answer is yes. The Vikings ranked 28th in defense a year ago and allowed almost as many points (395) as their high-flying offense could score (405). QB Daunte Culpepper will generate points and yards with or without Moss.
Final '04 rank: 15

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">9. Buffalo

The Bills have the NFL's best special teams, the second-best defense and elite offensive playmakers in Willis McGahee, Lee Evans and Eric Moulds. Buffalo will try to duplicate the feat of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2004 – win a division title with an inexperienced quarterback. The cast is strong enough to carry QB J.P. Losman if he can avoid making mistakes that cost his team games. Ben Roethlisberger did it last season, and the Steelers went 15-1.
Final '04 rank: 8

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">10. Atlanta

The Falcons found Mike Vick a lead receiver in the off-season, drafting Roddy White in the first round. But will Vick throw him the football? Vick is still more comfortable running the ball than throwing it. He needs to figure out what Steve Young figured out in the early 1990s – he can win more games with his left arm than with his legs. Four starters are gone from a defense that played surprisingly well in Jim Mora's first season as head coach.
Final '04 rank: 5

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">11. Cincinnati

Coach Marvin Lewis gambled last year when he put inexperienced QB Carson Palmer in the lineup of a playoff contender. Palmer struggled early but was an NFL-caliber passer by the end of the season. The Bengals will benefit in 2005. No. 1 draft pick David Pollack brings energy and a pass rush to a defense that could use a little of both.
Final '04 rank: 16

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">12. Baltimore

The Ravens have the same formula in 2005 that captured a Super Bowl in 2000 – the power running of Jamal Lewis and suffocating defense. But Trent Dilfer made an occasional play for the 2000 Ravens at quarterback. Baltimore is still waiting for a contribution from QB Kyle Boller. Free-agent WR Derrick Mason could accelerate Boller's development.
Final '04 rank: 13

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">13. New York Jets

Curtis Martin carried the Jets into the postseason in 2004, running for 1,697 yards and becoming the oldest player (31) to win an NFL rushing title. He's going to need some help in 2005, and a healthy Chad Pennington could provide it. The Jets plan to open up the attack with new offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger.
Final '04 rank: 7

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">14. Oakland

Has there been a team that has more dramatically changed its profile this off-season than the Raiders? Adding WR Randy Moss gives the Raiders the chance for big plays on offense, and adding RB Lamont Jordan gives them a chance for little plays. Coach Norv Turner is hoping younger means better on defense. An aging cast ranked 30th last season.

Final '04 rank: 28

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">15. Green Bay

Brett Favre flirted with retirement in the off-season. That would have been a disaster. The Packers have since protected themselves by drafting Cal's Aaron Rodgers in the first round. Like Oakland, the offense is fine – but the defense needs work. The Pack finished 25th last year and will be without cap-casualty SS Darren Sharper in 2005.
Final '04 rank: 9

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">16. Kansas City

The Chiefs had the only offense that gained more yards than the Colts last season.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-05/0605tony.jpg AP
Tony Gonzalez

But here's another team with defensive woes. The Chiefs finished 31st in 2004 and gave up a whopping 435 points. Veterans CB Patrick Surtain, FS Sammy Knight, LB Kendrell Bell and DE Carlos Hall were summoned to provide the defense a backbone.
Final '04 rank: 17

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">17. New York Giants

Eli Manning struggled as a rookie starter in 2004, losing six of his seven starts. But his development was slowed by starting receivers (Amani Toomer and Ike Hilliard) who failed to catch a TD pass. Big, physical free-agent WR Plaxico Burress addresses that deficiency. Eli's brother Peyton went from 3-13 to 13-3 in his second season.

Final '04 rank: 27

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">18. New Orleans

The Saints lead the league in under-
achievement. They are under .500 at home in Jim Haslett's five seasons (18-22) as head coach. If you can't win at home, you can't compete for playoff spots. Free-agent ballhawk Dwight Smith was recruited to help prop up the NFL's 32nd-ranked defense. But QB Aaron Brooks remains an enigma.
Final '04 rank: 19

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">19. Denver

The signing of WR Jerry Rice, drafting of RB Maurice Clarett and trade acquisition of P Todd Sauerbrun all smack of desperation on the part of coach Mike Shanahan, who has not won a playoff game since John Elway retired after the 1999 Super Bowl. Jake Plummer must cut his interceptions in half (from 20) for the Broncos to be serious contenders.
Final '04 rank: 10

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">20. DALLAS

The Cowboys won a Super Bowl in 1992 with one of the youngest teams in the NFL.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-05/0605bledsoe.jpg Michael Mulvey / DMN
Drew Bledsoe

They are attempting to win in 2005 with one of the league's oldest lineups. Drew Bledsoe, Marco Rivera, Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Larry Allen and La'Roi Glover are all key contributors in their 30s. A new 3-4 defensive scheme could slow the rebuilding process.
Final '04 rank: 23

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">21. Houston

Expansion teams Carolina and Jacksonville went to the playoffs in their second seasons and Cleveland went in its fourth. Entering their fourth season, the Texans feel a sense of urgency. They hope to fix the 24nd-ranked pass defense with the acquisition of CB Philip Buchanon.
Final '04 rank: 18

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">22. Arizona

If you want a sleeper team, it's the Cardinals. The sad-sack NFC West is inviting Arizona to assert itself. The Cardinals' three-wide receiver set of Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson will remind new quarterback Kurt Warner of his MVP days in St. Louis.
Final '04 rank: 26

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">23. Detroit

If the Cardinals don't have the best three-receiver set in the NFL, the Lions might in Roy Williams, Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. Detroit also has a 1,100-yard rusher in Kevin Jones. If QB Joey Harrington can't succeed with all this talent around him, Jeff Garcia will get the chance.
Final '04 rank: 21

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">24. Seattle

With a new president (Tim Ruskell) in the building, Mike Holmgren may be running out of time in Seattle. He has won two division titles but no playoff games in his six seasons as coach. The Seahawks signed LB Jamie Sharper and CBs Andre Dyson and Kelly Herndon to bolster the defense.
Final '04 rank: 14

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">25. St. Louis

It appears Mike Martz has finally figured out he needs defense and special teams as much as he does offense to compete for Super Bowls. But it may be too late. One of the best offenses ever assembled has gotten old with Pro Bowl playmakers Marshall Faulk and Isaac Bruce now in their 30s.
Final '04 rank: 20

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">26. Tampa Bay

The hiring of Jon Gruden in 2002 was supposed to mean instant offense in the makeover of the Bucs. It hasn't happened. Gruden isn't fond of his two quarterbacks, Brian Griese and Chris Simms, and the Bucs still rely on defense to win games. RB Carnell Williams should help in 2005.
Final '04 rank: 22

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">27. Washington

Another season like the last one and Canton may evict Joe Gibbs from the Hall of Fame.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-05/0605gibbs.jpg AP
Joe Gibbs

Like Gruden, Gibbs carries the tag offensive guru. But the Redskins finished 30th in the NFL in offense and won just six games. Gibbs misses Mark Rypien. Maybe rookie QB Jason Campbell can bail Gibbs out.
Final '04 rank: 24

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">28. Chicago

The worst offense in the NFL has been overhauled with the arrival of RB Cedric Benson in the draft and WR Muhsin Muhammad in free agency and the return of QB Rex Grossman from injury. But the NFL's 21st-ranked defense returns virtually intact. That's certainly not a plus.
Final '04 rank: 30

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">29. Tennessee

The salary cap continues to pummel the Titans. They had to release five starters last February, including veteran Pro Bowlers WR Derrick Mason and CB Samari Rolle. Steve McNair is the lone reminder that this was once a Super Bowl team.
Final '04 rank: 29

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">30. Miami

Nick Saban wants to make the Dolphins bigger in his first season and has succeeded with the additions of OT Stockar McDougle, DT Kevin Carter, DE Vonnie Holliday and SS Tebucky Jones. But how much better are the Dolphins?
Final '04 rank: 25

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">31. Cleveland

The Browns have been one of the great rushing franchises in NFL history. With Lee Suggs, Reuben Droughns and William Green, the Browns should be able to run the ball again in 2005. But that may be their only strength.
Final '04 rank: 31

<A class=bilabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">32.San Francisco

Eli Manning went 1-6 as a rookie starter with the New York Giants in 2004. He was more ready to play in the NFL than Alex Smith and had a better supporting cast in New York than Smith has in San Francisco.
Final '04 rank: 32

jspchief
06-06-2005, 07:14 AM
I know Pre-season rankings don't mean sh*t. Blah blah blah. But it gives us something to talk about.

Normally I like Gosselin's opinions, and I know he's pretty respected around the Planet, but this list is absolutely fooked.

KC's ranking totally ignores all their off-season moves. How the hell is Oakland ahead of KC? If Randy Moss is such a big deal, why didn't the Vikings drop more?

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 07:17 AM
I like this guy's articles, but ranking the teams at this point is silly and yeah, I'd say that if Denver were ranked #3.

jspchief
06-06-2005, 07:21 AM
I like this guy's articles, but ranking the teams at this point is silly and yeah, I'd say that if Denver were ranked #3.Yet you ignored the thread title and still opened it.

Like I said, it's something to talk about. I guess I should start another f'ing Freddie Mitchell thread. Ignore it if you don't care for pre-season rankings...the title makes it very easy to identify.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Yet you ignored the thread title and still opened it.

Like I said, it's something to talk about. I guess I should start another f'ing Freddie Mitchell thread. Ignore it if you don't care for pre-season rankings...the title makes it very easy to identify.

Settle down, Francis...

How did I ignore the thread title? I read everything you typed and just posted a comment... don't be so sensitive, it's only Monday.

David.
06-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Yet you ignored the thread title and still opened it.

wow, way to be a prick for no reason

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-06-2005, 07:27 AM

KC's ranking totally ignores all their off-season moves. How the hell is Oakland ahead of KC?
no shit...

:shake:

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Gosselin is rock-solid when it comes to college players and the draft.

But after listening to his pre-season predictions on Des Moines radio for the last 3 or so years, he's TERRIBLE at it.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Gosselin is rock-solid when it comes to college players and the draft.

But after listening to his pre-season predictions on Des Moines radio for the last 3 or so years, he's TERRIBLE at it.

You know, in my first post I almost made a comment like "within 7 minutes, htismaqe, will be posting here to defend Rick's draft coverage". Not a slam at all, it's just that I know you like his draft stuff.

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 07:36 AM
You know, in my first post I almost made a comment like "within 7 minutes, htismaqe, will be posting here to defend Rick's draft coverage". Not a slam at all, it's just that I know you like his draft stuff.

I give credit where credit is due...Gosselin is one of the best when it comes to the draft.

But I'm also one to admit when it's just not worth it, and that's how I would describe his pre-season picks.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 07:40 AM
I think he has the Bills, Raiders and Giants (esp the Giants) ranked too high. I understand why he has SD up there, but #6?

I also feel that Tampa, St Louis and Seattle are a bit low. We'll see how it all shakes out.

RealSNR
06-06-2005, 07:47 AM
WTF is everyone's obsession with the Vikings?

jspchief
06-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Some rankings I have disputes with:

9. Buffalo. I agree they have great ST and defense, but their offense was dismal last year, and now they have a QB that has no pro experience. All the stars have to align for them to meet this expectation, and while I think Losman will be a solid NFL QB, I'm not sure it will happen overnight.

11. Cincinatti. Huh? A middle of the road team, in a tough division. They had a nice draft, but didn't do much in FA. Again, that's asking a lot of guys with no experience

14. Oakland. If a certain other AFC West team had added Moss, they would have been trashed for not addressing their aweful defense. Somehow the 30th ranked D does nothing to fix their weakness, and moves up 14 spots.

22. Arizona. Wow, talk about buying the hype. I think they'll be much improved, but no way will they become the best team in their division.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 08:00 AM
WTF is everyone's obsession with the Vikings?

Well, their defense should be badass... they did as much or more to upgrade that side of the ball as KC did. Offensively, they still have a number of RBs to throw out there, and while Moss is gone... they're rookie should rock. Nate can be a good #1 and they have decent options aside from them.

They won't replace Moss, but they should pretty good offensively and the improvements of the defense will be great, IMO. They're not in a dominating division... the Bears will suck. The Lions will likely struggle and the Packers - who the hell knows how they'll be. The Vikings are sitting pretty right now.

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 08:02 AM
14. Oakland. If a certain other AFC West team had added Moss, they would have been trashed for not addressing their aweful defense. Somehow the 30th ranked D does nothing to fix their weakness, and moves up 14 spots.

Gosselin isn't the only one saying it. And like you, I just don't get it.

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Well, their defense should be badass... they did as much or more to upgrade that side of the ball as KC did. Offensively, they still have a number of RBs to throw out there, and while Moss is gone... they're rookie should rock. Nate can be a good #1 and they have decent options aside from them.

They won't replace Moss, but they should pretty good offensively and the improvements of the defense will be great, IMO. They're not in a dominating division... the Bears will suck. The Lions will likely struggle and the Packers - who the hell knows how they'll be. The Vikings are sitting pretty right now.

The Vikings made similar moves last year and their defense wasn't "badass". We'll see how well they gel.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 08:07 AM
The Vikings made similar moves last year and their defense wasn't "badass". We'll see how well they gel.

Yeah, I'd have to compare the two offseasons, but I don't recall the quantity of the additions last season being as good as this season.

They now have Chavous, Sharper, Winfield and Smoot in the secondary. They added the LB from Oak (Harris?) and they signed a solid DE (or was it DT) from Buffalo. I think they made some huge upgrades.

Thig Lyfe
06-06-2005, 08:10 AM
#16???

Further proof that these preseason rankings mean nothing.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 08:11 AM
#16???

Further proof that these preseason rankings mean nothing.

You're thinking they should be...

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I'd have to compare the two offseasons, but I don't recall the quantity of the additions last season being as good as this season.

They now have Chavous, Sharper, Winfield and Smoot in the secondary. They added the LB from Oak (Harris?) and they signed a solid DE (or was it DT) from Buffalo. I think they made some huge upgrades.

Last year they added Tyrone Carter, Winfield and Steve Martin. So yeah, this offseason was definitely better.

jspchief
06-06-2005, 08:15 AM
You're thinking they should be...I don't have a big beef with 16, even though I'd say more like 12 or so. My problem is some of the teams ahead of us. Especially Oakland and Cincy. I also think we'll be better than GB.

ChiefsGirl
06-06-2005, 08:17 AM
They added the LB from Oak (Harris?) and they signed a solid DE (or was it DT) from Buffalo. I think they made some huge upgrades.

Pat Williams - a very good nose tackle for a 3-4.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Pat Williams - a very good nose tackle for a 3-4.

That's it... didn't have time to look it up, thought it was Pat 'something'...

InChiefsHeaven
06-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I love the 16 ranking. We should exceed that. I can't wait till they are all proven wrong.

Man, I can't believe Moss going to the Raiders is having such an impact on the "expert" opinions of these freaks. As though their biggest problem was WR last year. If this is all the Raiduhs think they need to win a SB, they deserve the spanking they will get from their own division. Seriously, Moss will have some success, but I think after two shots at Surtain, Bailey and I can't think of the dude from the Chargers, he's gonna be a hurtin' little pussy. I may actually have to root for the Donks when they play Oakland, just to watch Moss get annihilated.

Lzen
06-06-2005, 08:27 AM

Yes, yes, yes. This obsession with Oakland by the media is driving me nuts. I just don't get it. Moss will not make that much of a difference. If memory serves, their offense was pretty good last year anyway. Well, their passing offense anyway. So, they trade away one of their best players on defense for an offensive player and do pretty much nothing to address that defense and that somehow makes them move up 14 spots? :shake:

TEX
10th in the AFC. I can't wait to exceed that ranking.

Mile High Mania
I will say that Lamont Jordan's presence appears to be forgotten with all the hype around Moss. Jordan has huge potential, especially under Norv Turner.

Moss is obviously a huge boost offensively, but Jordan will be the key to having great balance.

Their defense is going to suck hard though.

TEX
06-06-2005, 08:29 AM
I love the 16 ranking. We should exceed that. I can't wait till they are all proven wrong.

Man, I can't believe Moss going to the Raiders is having such an impact on the "expert" opinions of these freaks. As though their biggest problem was WR last year. If this is all the Raiduhs think they need to win a SB, they deserve the spanking they will get from their own division. Seriously, Moss will have some success, but I think after two shots at Surtain, Bailey and I can't think of the dude from the Chargers, he's gonna be a hurtin' little pussy. I may actually have to root for the Donks when they play Oakland, just to watch Moss get annihilated.

I'm sure that Al Davis remembers that they were the last team to win a Super Bowl with a far less than stellar defense.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Panthers at #5 still amuses me... talk about questions offensively at WR and RB, considering Muhsin is gone and guys coming back from injury in 2004. #5 is really high.

Lzen
06-06-2005, 08:34 AM
I will say that Lamont Jordan's presence appears to be forgotten with all the hype around Moss. Jordan has huge potential, especially under Norv Turner.

Moss is obviously a huge boost offensively, but Jordan will be the key to having great balance.

Their defense is going to suck hard though.

I don't Jordan is anything special. Sure, he'll help them improve their running game a little. But I'll be surprised if their running game improves much. And like you said, it's their defense that was the problem last year. What have they done to improve on that side of the ball? Virtually nothing.

Lzen
06-06-2005, 08:37 AM
10th in the AFC. I can't wait to exceed that ranking.

Heh, I think you mean 11th in the AFC. What a joke. :shake:

jspchief
06-06-2005, 08:37 AM

Their defense is going to suck hard though.My opinion on Jordan is "I'll believe it when I see it". It's not that I don't think he's good, but he's never had to carry the load for an entire season. Beyond that, there's more to the running game than a RB. I'm not sure Oakland has the O-line to allow any RB to be productive.

I think Oakland will probably be a lot like KC of '03 and '04. An offense that's scary enough to rattle any team, but a defense that's so bad that they are just as likely to lose any game as win it. It will hinge on the running game, but last year they proved that they aren't commited to running the ball.

beavis
06-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Yes, yes, yes. This obsession with Oakland by the media is driving me nuts.
The same thing happens every year. I'd think we'd all be used to it by now.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Jordan definitely has a huge question mark, but there are two things I consider - 1) The Jets did not want to lose him and loved his upside and 2) Norv Turner has been really successful with different types of RBs in the past.

Bob Dole
06-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Since it's completely speculative, but apparently based on last year's final ranking, Bob Dole would have thought that all the defensive additions would have raised the team more than one slot.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Since it's completely speculative, but apparently based on last year's final ranking, Bob Dole would have thought that all the defensive additions would have raised the team more than one slot.

Yeah, but you guys cut Morton that almost negates anything good that was done defensively. :drool:

KChiefs1
06-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Anyone remember who was the team everyone predicted would be the comeback team of 2004? It appears that the Vikings & Raiders are the media darlings this year.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Anyone remember who was the team everyone predicted would be the comeback team of 2004? It appears that the Vikings & Raiders are the media darlings this year.

Chiefs? Honestly, I dunno.

TEX
06-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Heh, I think you mean 11th in the AFC. What a joke. :shake:

Yep, sorry I can't count past 10. :banghead:

So that means that the CHIEFS are only better than 5 AFC teams right now. I doubt that. :hmmm:

chiefkdawg
06-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but you guys cut Morton that almost negates anything good that was done defensively. :drool:

yeah I know... Crap, our o is gonna be toothless now without him......
ROFL

the Talking Can
06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
hate to say it, but the Chargers are in pretty good shape as a franchise...both of their 1st round picks should contribute this year...6 may be too high, but they are the best of the AFC West until proven otherwise...

the Bills aren't going to the playoffs with Losman...sorry Buffalo fans

the Raiders are the 2004 Chiefs...they will have the worst D in the league, by far, this year...plus their QB is erratic...lots of points, lots of pain...been there, done that

the Chiefs?..eh...until I see our D perform at a high level week in and week out I'm not going to argue any ranking...

Denver....a franchise with no direction...Jake Plunger...'nough said

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 11:20 AM
hate to say it, but the Chargers are in pretty good shape as a franchise...both of their 1st round picks should contribute this year...6 may be too high, but they are the best of the AFC West until proven otherwise...

the Bills aren't going to the playoffs with Losman...sorry Buffalo fans

the Raiders are the 2004 Chiefs...they will have the worst D in the league, by far, this year...plus their QB is erratic...lots of points, lots of pain...been there, done that

the Chiefs?..eh...until I see our D perform at a high level week in and week out I'm not going to argue any ranking...

Denver....a franchise with no direction...Jake Plunger...'nough said

The Chargers look about like the Chiefs of the 90's. Won over 100 games in the regular season but needed Joe Montana to eek out a couple of playoff wins. They're a solid team.

Mr. Laz
06-06-2005, 12:10 PM
i question baltimore and foakland being ahead of us.

green bay and cinci are borderline ... more like even with us IMO.

i put us at 10-15 range until our defense shows something. If our defensive additions makes a difference then we instantly jump into the top 5.

Chris Meck
06-06-2005, 12:13 PM
If anybody's due for a drop-off, it's Philly. I think they'll be solid, but not championship-game material.

New England, on the other hand, both of their systems are so ingrained at this point that I don't expect anything different from them. They'll be contenders.

Pittsburgh'll be tough again, for sure, and likely to be better.

The Raiders? PLEASE. That defense ain't getting better, and Moss ain't gonna change that.

The Chargers, I feel, will be good again-although a less favorable schedule and opponent attitude will mean more like 10 wins this year rather than 12. They may be BETTER and still win less games. But a wildcard is certainly possible.

Minnesota will struggle a bit offensively-Moss has been THE game there for so long, I don't know if they'll be able to transition right away. 9-7 or 10-6 but more solid all around is my guess. Weak division may get 'em a play-off spot.

Cinci being ranked high is just silly. Too young, too many holes, too many unprovens. 6-10.

The Colts will still suck defensively. This year it starts to catch up with them, as other AFC teams have improved. 10-6

I think this is the season that Denver tanks. Bad offseason, Clarett is no answer-he's a slower Ron Dayne (who is a slower Ricky Williams-which negates any positive.) Plummer's shown nothing, Smith is another year older, Rice is so long past his prime we can't remember it, and the Cleveland bust signing program ain't gonna help. 7-9. The rest of the division (minus the Raiders) have gotten better.

Just my .02

chris

Spicy McHaggis
06-06-2005, 01:42 PM
So apparently Moss will also be playing DB, LB and DE this year. :rolleyes: What a joke.

As much as I hate to say it Denver is going to be better than the Raiders this year too. It's another year in the cellar for the boys in black.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
I think the Bengals and Texans could be two greatly improved teams, mainly because of the experience retained from 2004. Those two teams should do well, not dominating, but they should do well.

InChiefsHeaven
06-06-2005, 02:18 PM
I think the Bengals and Texans could be two greatly improved teams, mainly because of the experience retained from 2004. Those two teams should do well, not dominating, but they should do well.

Agreed, most especially where the Texans are concerned. The Bungles...well...they are just going to have to prove it. They have sucked for so long now I can't see past that...

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 02:20 PM
The AFCW is up for grabs. I think Oakland is the only team that is really more deficient as a "whole". SD right now appears to have the least questions on either side of the ball.

If KC's defense improves as it should, then they'll definitely be a force.

I think Denver will be going toe to toe for the divisional title as well, with SD and KC. I think it should be a nice 3 team race for most of the season.

Oakland will have a great offense which will make the games b/t SD/KC/DEN really important as those 3 teams will likely be separated by 1 or 2 games when the season is over.

Get swept by Oakland and it could mean that you miss the playoffs. I think Den will split again with KC and SD - and it will be difficult to sweep Oakland.

Overall... I see a lot of splits within the division.

Iowanian
06-06-2005, 02:28 PM
I don't think I agree Meck.

NE has definitely been rock solid the past 4 seasons, however losing both their coordinators, starting MLB and 2 other starters..........I don't know that I believe the hype. they're still the team to beat until proven otherwise, but thats alot of change in a non-positive direction.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 02:33 PM
I don't think I agree Meck.

NE has definitely been rock solid the past 4 seasons, however losing both their coordinators, starting MLB and 2 other starters..........I don't know that I believe the hype. they're still the team to beat until proven otherwise, but thats alot of change in a non-positive direction.

If they're truly a dynasty, they can work through that in my opinion. :harumph: I'm very interested to see how they do.

Iowanian
06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
My question for all the dolt believers is this....how are the bolts going to react after Brees fails to produce the same numbers the first 3 weeks of the season....and do you still believe with Rivers starting they're an instant contender?

I know that all 3 of the bolt fans in the world prior to last year would still tell me they think they're Champs with Rivers, but Until he's proven it, he's no better than JP Lossman or any other rookie who hasn't seen any time on the field (other than vs KC's scout team defense).

Bowser
06-06-2005, 02:45 PM
The Chargers look about like the Chiefs of the 90's. Won over 100 games in the regular season but needed Joe Montana to eek out a couple of playoff wins. They're a solid team.

You mean they are a solid regular season team. It took a legend at QB to get Marty his two playoff wins in KC.

And I'll echo everyone else about the fascination about the Raiders. Sure they got Randy Moss to catch the ball, but Kerry Collins ain't no Daunte Culpepper. And that D could very well be worse than the 2004 Chiefs D, and that's saying something.

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM
The AFCW is up for grabs. I think Oakland is the only team that is really more deficient as a "whole". SD right now appears to have the least questions on either side of the ball.

If KC's defense improves as it should, then they'll definitely be a force.

I think Denver will be going toe to toe for the divisional title as well, with SD and KC. I think it should be a nice 3 team race for most of the season.

Oakland will have a great offense which will make the games b/t SD/KC/DEN really important as those 3 teams will likely be separated by 1 or 2 games when the season is over.

Get swept by Oakland and it could mean that you miss the playoffs. I think Den will split again with KC and SD - and it will be difficult to sweep Oakland.

Overall... I see a lot of splits within the division.

Sorry man, but how can you put Denver in there and keep a straight face?

Everything they've done this offseason reeks of desperation. The needed a pass rush, so they signed all 4 pieces of the worst defensive line in football. They needed help on the outside of the o-line and did nothing. They needed to do something, anything, to limit Plummer's INT's so they go out and sign Grandpa Rice.

Seriously, Denver has taken a step back this offseason.

Iowanian
06-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Someone should remind MHM that Denver had an Awesome Offseason at WR......if it were 1990.

The Plunger(I'm diggin that) is still their QB, thier backside Chop block is against the rules now, The Traded Ruben Droughs for a RB that I think I could outrun in the 40 with a worse attitude than a drug binging Dave Chappelle, and they brought in a cleveland Defensive Line that couldn't hold Gary Coleman under 100 yards if Webster was his FB.

The ONLY move Denver made that impressed me at all this offseason was bringing Ian Gold back.

They Regressed, the Raiders Defense is still going to be horrible, and the Chargers have to prove they are for real vs the #1 schedule. Yeah....those 2 games DO make a difference.

I can't wait for the first ESPN clip of Clarett bitching because the stolen SUV he bought from a chop shop, run by his weed supplier, that smelled like a wet mule, turned out to be the one stolen from Elway.

Lzen
06-06-2005, 03:17 PM
The same thing happens every year. I'd think we'd all be used to it by now.

Yep. It's like the 90s all over again. The so-called experts would pick Oakland to get to the SB every year and nearly every year they would miss the playoffs. And as of now, Oakland's coach IS STILL Norv Turner.
ROFL