PDA

View Full Version : Billy Baber really pissed off the Chargers last year...

The Bad Guy
06-06-2005, 10:47 AM
As I said in an earlier post last week, I spent the end of last week in Georgia helping out with Chargers linebacker Randall Godfrey's football camp. A friend is good friends with Randall.

Anyway, I was talking to him Saturday night and he told me a great story about Baber.

Last year, the Chargers brought in Baber the week before the first meeting with the Chiefs. He said they did the usual, tried to get information out of him about KC.

Well Baber told the Chargers that when Gonzalez turns to his left and says "g" on the line, that means a power run is coming.

So, in the game, when the Chargers heard G, Ben Leber would step up to stop the run.

One problem, G was a call for a pass, not a run.

Baber gave them false calls to screw up the defense. He basically made the week's salary by giving them dummy calls.

Godfrey said after a couple times they picked up on it, but the Chargers aren't too happy with Baber and cut him immediately after the game.

Oh yeah, also don't be surprised if Donnie Edwards holds out in TC.

Just thought it was a great story to share.

teedubya
06-06-2005, 10:49 AM
heh. that owns. Baber for El Presidente!

HemiEd
06-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Screw the Chargers! They had thier "once a decade" splash. I think it is great what Baber did!

ptlyon
06-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Gee - I wonder if the Chiefs ever mix anything up.

Thig Lyfe
06-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Baber > Scanlon?

morphius
06-06-2005, 10:56 AM
LOL! That's great. It does really piss me off when teams play that game of "spying". It seems that all the other teams pull that crap all the time.

Rain Man
06-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Billy Baber gets my vote for offseason MVP.

I wonder if he screwed them over or if the Chiefs saw Marty sign him and just made an adjustment.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Awesome....Baber's stock just went up in my view. ROFL

ZootedGranny
That is AWESOME. The best thing Baber ever did for the Chiefs.

RealSNR
Billy f*cking Baber!!!!!!1111

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Baber > Scanlon?

THAT is damn near a bannable offense. :mad:

Thig Lyfe
06-06-2005, 11:05 AM
THAT is damn near a bannable offense. :mad:

Let's break down the stats:

Baber: screwed over the Chargers

Scanlon: 2 illegal blocks

:hmmm:

Rain Man
06-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Baber > Scanlon?

When Baber singlehandedly carries a herd of cattle across a flooded river during a cattle drive without losing a single calf, come back and try again.

Thig Lyfe
06-06-2005, 11:07 AM
When Baber singlehandedly carries a herd of cattle across a flooded river during a cattle drive without losing a single calf, come back and try again.

One time Billy Baber went to Mars, did three hot martian chicks, and came home in time to rescue a kitten out of a tree.

shaneo69
06-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I wonder if he screwed them over or if the Chiefs saw Marty sign him and just made an adjustment.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why would Baber deliberately screw his chances for a long-term contract by lying to his new team?

Just another of Marty's annoying little habits.

Pitt Gorilla
06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm not buying it; it would seem that Baber had no reason to "screw" the Chargers. I'd put my money on the Chiefs changing things up a bit.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
One time Billy Baber went to Mars, did three hot martian chicks, and came home in time to rescue a kitten out of a tree.

Ha, Scanlon took on a whole Venus harem in ONE NIGHT....and came back in time to win game seven of the NBA playoffs for the Lakers by "rigging" the game with the officials.

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 11:31 AM

Just thought it was a great story to share.

Everybody wants to talk about Baber -- THIS is the part I found interesting.

The Bolts just went through this process with Jammal Williams and they also have almost $9M of cap space taken up by the tag on Brees. This could be interesting.

ptlyon
06-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Exactly what would have happened to the Chiefs if they kept him, IMO.

The Bad Guy
06-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm not buying it; it would seem that Baber had no reason to "screw" the Chargers. I'd put my money on the Chiefs changing things up a bit.

I doubt it. Baber is best friends with Gonzalez and he knew that the Chargers only brought him in to pry info out of him.

I'm sure Godfrey asked Gonzalez if they changed the calls as he is friendly with Gonzlaez.

Thig Lyfe
06-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I doubt it. Baber is best friends with Gonzalez and he knew that the Chargers only brought him in to pry info out of him.

I'm sure Godfrey asked Gonzalez if they changed the calls as he is friendly with Gonzlaez.

One time I got a chance to talk to Gonzalez, and when I asked about Rich Scanlon he said "Scan-who?"

morphius
06-06-2005, 11:47 AM

The Bolts just went through this process with Jammal Williams and they also have almost $9M of cap space taken up by the tag on Brees. This could be interesting.
Yeah, but since he hasn't held out yet, its not really much there to talk about. Of course the fact that he took less money from the Chargers to begin with, they had to know that it might blow up on them if he did have a good season.

Rain Man
06-06-2005, 11:51 AM
One time I got a chance to talk to Gonzalez, and when I asked about Rich Scanlon he said "Scan-who?"

Well, one time I got the chance to talk to Rich Scanlon, and when I asked about Tony Gonzalez he told me all about Gonzalez, because he's such a student of the game.

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but since he hasn't held out yet, its not really much there to talk about. Of course the fact that he took less money from the Chargers to begin with, they had to know that it might blow up on them if he did have a good season.

I just wonder what Edwards is looking for. The Brees tag really has the Chargers in a less flexible situation...

morphius
06-06-2005, 11:57 AM
I just wonder what Edwards is looking for. The Brees tag really has the Chargers in a less flexible situation...
Well, and isn't their TE holding out as well?

Thig Lyfe
06-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Well, one time I got the chance to talk to Rich Scanlon, and when I asked about Tony Gonzalez he told me all about Gonzalez, because he's such a student of the game.

You talked to Rich Scanlon and didn't ask about how he found the cure for 5 strains of STD with three hair samples and a calculator?

PastorMikH
06-06-2005, 12:02 PM

I'm thinking the latter. Why would he NOT try to help his new team win?

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Well, and isn't their TE holding out as well?

I forgot about that.

Man, this could become a nightmare offseason for everybody's new favorite team.

morphius
06-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I forgot about that.

Man, this could become a nightmare offseason for everybody's new favorite team.
One could always hope :D

XXXshogunXXX
06-06-2005, 12:33 PM
vs San Diego Chargers Loss 31-34
@San Diego Chargers Loss 17-24

He mustve gave other info that helped, hah.

anyway, that is kinda dirty. Similar shit has happened to the Chargers. Back in 81, the oilers had a lip reader reading plays from the chargers Offensive Coordinator. Nowadays, HC's and OC's cover their mouth's with the playbook while shouting a play.

cool_brees
06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm curious as to where you heard the rumor that Donnie Edwards is planning on holding out? This is the first time I've heard of anything like that.

FWIW, he seems very happy playing in his hometown and on an up and coming team.

As for Gates, he is not holding out. He wants his contract re-done but he's stated that he will do the right thing and show up to camp and play.

A.J. Smith has re-done contracts and rewarded a few players now who have performed well and have been team players.

What a lot of people are saying is that they'll have a new contract for Gates probably sometime before preseason starts.

caffeinated_virus
06-06-2005, 01:08 PM
As a Charger fan, i'm curious about this part:

Just curious, any idea why? Money? Unhappy?

To fill in some blanks in this thread, Yea, the $8million tag took a lot of money away from our cap and our ability to sign players long term, like Gates or Fonoti (our LG). Personally, we should have traded Brees, but that's beside the point.

There have been talks that Gates "might" hold out of TC if he doesn't get a new contract. But nothing concrete. This news about Donnie is surprising to me, and i'd like to hear more about it. Any more tidbits?

BTW, anyone know how you can figure out what a teams salary cap situation will be in the following year (2006)?

Thanks

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Even with Baber's help we still lost...

morphius
06-06-2005, 01:13 PM
vs San Diego Chargers Loss 31-34
@San Diego Chargers Loss 17-24

He mustve gave other info that helped, hah.

anyway, that is kinda dirty. Similar shit has happened to the Chargers. Back in 81, the oilers had a lip reader reading plays from the chargers Offensive Coordinator. Nowadays, HC's and OC's cover their mouth's with the playbook while shouting a play.
Shanarat did the same damn thing...

tk13
06-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm curious as to where you heard the rumor that Donnie Edwards is planning on holding out? This is the first time I've heard of anything like that.

FWIW, he seems very happy playing in his hometown and on an up and coming team.

As for Gates, he is not holding out. He wants his contract re-done but he's stated that he will do the right thing and show up to camp and play.

A.J. Smith has re-done contracts and rewarded a few players now who have performed well and have been team players.

What a lot of people are saying is that they'll have a new contract for Gates probably sometime before preseason starts.
It's right there on top of the thread. He went to help out a football camp hosted by Randall Godfrey and hung out with him... where do you think he got the "rumor"? :)

The Bad Guy
06-06-2005, 01:14 PM

Thanks

It's always money.

Don't go quoting that all over Charger boards please. It was said in passing and that I shouldn't be surprised if it happened.

morphius
06-06-2005, 01:15 PM

To fill in some blanks in this thread, Yea, the $8million tag took a lot of money away from our cap and our ability to sign players long term, like Gates or Fonoti (our LG). Personally, we should have traded Brees, but that's beside the point.

There have been talks that Gates "might" hold out of TC if he doesn't get a new contract. But nothing concrete. This news about Donnie is surprising to me, and i'd like to hear more about it. Any more tidbits?

BTW, anyone know how you can figure out what a teams salary cap situation will be in the following year (2006)?

Thanks
It is Money with Donnie, Money=Respect, which is why he left here. His bonus wasn't anywhere near Gonzo's, so he left KC.

tk13
06-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh yeah, and I can't wait for Psicosis to get ahold of this thread. Now we all know Billy Baber is the man. Yet another brilliant 5th round draft selection by Carl Peterson.

caffeinated_virus
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
It's always money.

Don't go quoting that all over Charger boards please. It was said in passing and that I shouldn't be surprised if it happened.

No worries. I wont say anything.

Hmm, we could be in a real bind if Donnie and Gates hold out.

Rain Man
06-06-2005, 01:23 PM

"Hmmm, let's pass."

"Now let's pass it."

"Throw the ball, Dan."

"Let's try a pass now."

"Pass it! Pass it!"

"Okay, Dan, let's think about a pass here."

caffeinated_virus
06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
The more I think of this, this could be really bad.

Trying to sign a few of our guys and our cap situation is not exactly friendly right now. Couple that with next years cap situation and we could be in a real bind.

*sigh*

cool_brees
06-06-2005, 01:45 PM
It's right there on top of the thread. He went to help out a football camp hosted by Randall Godfrey and hung out with him... where do you think he got the "rumor"? :)

Oops, sorry... I saw "Donnie Edwards" and "holdout" and got all nervous. ;)

Not to disregard the information given but I'd be surprised if Donnie would hold out. I know he's not a very outspoken person but he's never even hinted at his contract being a problem.

cool_brees
06-06-2005, 01:47 PM
The more I think of this, this could be really bad.

Trying to sign a few of our guys and our cap situation is not exactly friendly right now. Couple that with next years cap situation and we could be in a real bind.

*sigh*
Actually, with the re-structuring of Jamal William's contract recently, I believe the Chargers have about two million dollars of extra cap space freed up for this year. Though, I'm thinking this has to do with a Gates contract.

caffeinated_virus
06-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Actually, with the re-structuring of Jamal William's contract recently, I believe the Chargers have about two million dollars of extra cap space freed up for this year. Though, I'm thinking this has to do with a Gates contract.

Last I heard, we were right around $1.5 million. Either way, we still need to sign our rookies (2 first rounders) and Gates and Fonoti. Both will command high salaries (as they should). I fear that we will be in real bind next year, salary cap wise. I say we will be under $8 million in cap space which is not good.

htismaqe
06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Oops, sorry... I saw "Donnie Edwards" and "holdout" and got all nervous. ;)

Not to disregard the information given but I'd be surprised if Donnie would hold out. I know he's not a very outspoken person but he's never even hinted at his contract being a problem.

He wasn't very loud or obnoxious here in KC either. He just seemed to whine all the time about getting snubbed for the Pro Bowl and then one day the team and he came to an impass about money and he left.

cool_brees
06-06-2005, 03:06 PM
He wasn't very loud or obnoxious here in KC either. He just seemed to whine all the time about getting snubbed for the Pro Bowl and then one day the team and he came to an impass about money and he left.

I don't care for players publicly complaining about stuff like this but he always puts up very solid numbers. There are a couple of years (both in KC and in SD where you could say he's been snubbed for the Pro-Bowl). He wasn't even an alternate last year and that's completely rediculous. He's not an outspoken, flashy player so things like that are going to happen.

Rausch
06-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Bad Guy gets better scoops on vacation than Warpaint does putting in a full time concentrated effort...

cool_brees
06-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Last I heard, we were right around $1.5 million. Either way, we still need to sign our rookies (2 first rounders) and Gates and Fonoti. Both will command high salaries (as they should). I fear that we will be in real bind next year, salary cap wise. I say we will be under $8 million in cap space which is not good.

I believe that $1.5 million number was before the Jamal Williams contract was done so I think that number is somewhere above $3 million now. That still doesn't give a lot of room to manuever with after the rookie signings but it still gives them some options depending on how they do the contracts of Gates and possibly Fonoti, if they decide to do it this year, that is.

I think they may hold off on Fonoti for this year because they want to see him to have another solid year before commiting a long-term contract with him. Problem is that if he does have a solid year, then his pricetag will certainly increase, instead of possibly signing him to a good deal now.

caffeinated_virus
06-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I believe that $1.5 million number was before the Jamal Williams contract was done so I think that number is somewhere above $3 million now. That still doesn't give a lot of room to manuever with after the rookie signings but it still gives them some options depending on how they do the contracts of Gates and possibly Fonoti, if they decide to do it this year, that is.

I think they may hold off on Fonoti for this year because they want to see him to have another solid year before commiting a long-term contract with him. Problem is that if he does have a solid year, then his pricetag will certainly increase, instead of possibly signing him to a good deal now.

Just asked a friend who knows the #'s pretty well and i will confirm later. We are just under $2 mill. :(

I am concerned because we do have some players who will be deserving of big contracts; Fonoti and Gates are two. But, don't forget about Caldwell and Leber. My point being, with our current QB situation, it is going to be interesting because a trade of Rivers is a automatic $7+ million hit. ::groan:: Which pretty much makes that not a option if we want to keep ou players.

I'll ask my friend if he can get some numbers and where we are at.

keg in kc
06-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Great story. I always wondered if anybody would ever do that kind of thing. Either he felt some loyalty and knew he was just there so they could pick his brains, or we saw it coming.

Iowanian
06-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Keep posting negative info about the chargers, and one of the new doltheads will be along to tell you that in 1982, Phillip Rivers ALSO could throw a football over that mountain. He's been throwing passes at his cam corder in the foothills all summer long.

What I wonder, is how much CP put in his pocket to do that....

Ebolapox
06-06-2005, 06:50 PM
cool brees, you seen jesse??

-EB-...I'M SHAWN MERRIMAN, B*TCH

VonneMarie
06-06-2005, 07:03 PM
ROFL That was great.

NaptownChief
06-06-2005, 07:11 PM
While on the topic of lousy draft picks from 2001:

<A name=232644>CFL | Minnis Sent Packing - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:42:54 -0700
The Canadian Press reports the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/80/nfl) have released former NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) WR Marvin Minnis (http://www.kffl.com/player/1007/nfl).

cool_brees
06-06-2005, 07:24 PM
cool brees, you seen jesse??

-EB-...I'M SHAWN MERRIMAN, B*TCH

Who's Jesse?

shaneo69
06-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Accurate quote from htismaqe: "He just seemed to whine all the time about getting snubbed for the Pro Bowl and then one day the team and he came to an impass about money and he left."

KCChiefs.com revisionist history from Gretz: "Donnie Edwards...was stupidly dispatched by former defensive coordinator Greg Robinson..."

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Does he get background music while doing so?

|Zach|
06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Does he get background music while doing so?

"No Scrubs" By TLC

KCWolfman
06-06-2005, 09:22 PM
"No Scrubs" By TLC
Hell, I'll watch.

Ebolapox
06-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Who's Jesse?

it's from an old richard pryor standup routine--extremely hillarious sh*t--no reason for posting that, except to make myself laugh

-EB-

htismaqe
06-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Accurate quote from htismaqe: "He just seemed to whine all the time about getting snubbed for the Pro Bowl and then one day the team and he came to an impass about money and he left."

KCChiefs.com revisionist history from Gretz: "Donnie Edwards...was stupidly dispatched by former defensive coordinator Greg Robinson..."

:D

The day he left, Gretz was all about how Donnie was the problem. He wanted too much money, he didn't fit the system, etc. 100% behind Robinson. Now that Robinson was made the scapegoat, he's all over that.

tomahawk kid
06-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Bad Guy gets better scoops on vacation than Warpaint does putting in a full time concentrated effort...

Ouch........but its true.....