PDA

View Full Version : Man I really hate injuries

bricks
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Ok....These past 5 weeks I have been taking time off the gym mainly because I sustained an injury(tendonitis) in my right wrist....I think the main reason I got it was from my job. My job involves constant repetition. A lot of clutching and grabbing all day long. I usually grab with my right hand, it is my dominant hand. Because of this, I got a strain in my wrist...It is an inflammed tendon. It all started from the thumb and worked it's way down towards the left portion of my wrist. the tendon tissue from the thumb runs along the wrist towards the upper portion of your forearm. That's what the doctors told me and it does make sense. Think of it this way, flick your thumb back and forth, and you will notice the bone from your thumb and how it runs along your wrist. Your tendon is the exact same way. So the strain is there due to constant repition of clutching and grabbing. Furthermore, I aggravated it from doing bench presses and shoulder presses when I was working out. When your doing presses, a lot of the load that comes from the weight is compressed towards your wrists and runs throughout your whole entire arm. Also, It is essential to properly keep your wrists straight rather than having them bend backwards. Well, I had a tendency to bend my wrists backwards. Because of this, more stress is being applied to the area(tendon) that was strained. So basically, what it is is stress on top of strain. And man is it ever painful. I guess I'm learning from my mistakes.

It has been such a setback because I feel I really want to go to the gym but I just can't...Doctors have told me to keep away from the weights for at least 1 month. It has been 5 weeks and the pain has been somewhat relieved
but not entirely. The most frustrating part of it all is my job. I can't work my way around my job. Unless, I purposely told them I need the time off for whatever reason other than injury. I can't afford to take time off work. Tendonitis seems like it never goes away. the only way it can go away is, you have to really really take care of it and go through proper treatment and rehab. Basically, I have to take at the very least 6 weeks off work and the gym. In other words, 6 weeks of doing absolutely nothing. It makes sense to do this, to avoid the strain and stress. While that has been taken care of, there are several anti-inflammatory pills to help ease the swelling. Ibuprophen and sodium diclofenec to name a few. Also, icing the inflammed tendon, 3 times a day for 15 minutes helps. Afterwards, it also helps to get the tendon heat treated, and/or lazer therapy. Has anybody here ever had tendonitis? May I ask you to please share with me your thoughts, and opinions. Are there any other helpful remedies out there that you guys would know of, to help in the process of healing. Thank you so much for your undivided attention.

*I know you guys aren't doctors, but, I'm sure somebody out there can offer some good advice....Again, Thank you :)

morphius
06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Have you tried a wrist brace of any kind? I wear one for bowling because of a similar issue, its basically just a tight strap around the wrist, but it helps a lot! I have put it on when my wrist has bothered me lifting weights as well.

http://www.mgbowling.com/merch_prod.asp?Code=.4..9.

Baby Lee
06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Not familar with Canadian worker's comp, but I'd figure it to be more liberal than we have in states. So why are you concerned about missing work if you think the complaints are work related. Express your concerns to your employer and request medical care. If they don't provide it, ask your treating physician to write a script opining the complaints are work related and ordering you off duty or on light duty for your period of healing/rehab.

bricks
06-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Have you tried a wrist brace of any kind? I wear one for bowling because of a similar issue, its basically just a tight strap around the wrist, but it helps a lot! I have put it on when my wrist has bothered me lifting weights as well.

http://www.mgbowling.com/merch_prod.asp?Code=.4..9.

I have never tried it...And I will. I'll take your word. where can I get one? Thank you Morphius.

Goapics1
06-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Have you tried a cortisone shot?

JakeT
06-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I have had severe tendonitis in my knees (mainly from aggressive mogul skiing)

A few things I can tell you about it.
1) the WORST advice I ever received was from a doctor who told me stop all activity for a month. After I did this - I attempted a workout and all my surrounding muscles were so weak that the tendon took the brunt of the activity and was injured again.

2) The thing that worked for me was physical therapy - get some exercises and streches targeted for that issue - work (if you can) & work out in moderation - BUT DON't stop. It will eventually get better but it takes time.

3) Try glucosimane chrondrotin -- it could be mental but I think this stuff does work some.

For me now the tendonitis comes and goes but if I stretch and work out I can keep in check.

TEX
06-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I sustained a radial head fracture of my left elbow, in a biking accident, on March 11 and that has really messed me up. I can't do anything that involves the my upper body on the left side. Thus far I've missed out on all the great spring biking weather and all the spring swells that produce good surf in the Gulf of Mexico. I've just recently been able to get a good night's sleep cause I can move it better now than before. I'm told an injury of this type takes 12-16 weeks to heal and that there is almost always some loss in range of motion in the elbow joint. That's going to really suck if I can't fully extend my elbow past the point that I can now because right now, my left arm is a full inch shorter than my right one. It has caused me to overcompensate and now my left shoulder is bothering me as well. I've broken bones before, but none have f*cked with me this long. Try riding a bike with one arm shorter than the other! :banghead:

morphius
06-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I have never tried it...And I will. I'll take your word. where can I get one? Thank you Morphius.
I got mine at a bowling pro shop, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could find something similar at any sporting store. They make similar bands for tennis elbow, so I'm guessing there are some options out there.

bricks
06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Not familar with Canadian worker's comp, but I'd figure it to be more liberal than we have in states. So why are you concerned about missing work if you think the complaints are work related. Express your concerns to your employer and request medical care. If they don't provide it, ask your treating physician to write a script opining the complaints are work related and ordering you off duty or on light duty for your period of healing/rehab.

If i told my employer, all he would do is set up an appointment for me to go see my company doctor. I have had that done in the past and it didn't go well. Company doctors are not the type of doctors I would want to see. They provide so much discouragement. Just simply by saying, "you are not treating your injury real well"...Simple words like that. Meanwhile you have been going through the whole entire healing process and rehab, and yet they provide cowardly statements like that. He assigns me back to work when I'm not required to work. Mainly, because I haven't been fully recovered from the injury. It's obvious what side they on. So obvious. Company doctors give the authorization for off duty and light duty.

Skip Towne
06-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Walk it off you pussy.

Otter
06-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Ten posts into a thread about tendonitis is his right wrist and not one masterbation remark.

morphius
06-06-2005, 12:22 PM
I sustained a radial head fracture of my left elbow, in a biking accident, on March 11 and that has really messed me up. I can't do anything that involves the my upper body on the left side. Thus far I've missed out on all the great spring biking weather and all the spring swells that produce good surf in the Gulf of Mexico. I've just recently been able to get a good night's sleep cause I can move it better now than before. I'm told an injury of this type takes 12-16 weeks to heal and that there is almost always some loss in range of motion in the elbow joint. That's going to really suck if I can't fully extend my elbow past the point that I can now because right now, my left arm is a full inch shorter than my right one. It has caused me to overcompensate and now my left shoulder is bothering me as well. I've broken bones before, but none have f*cked with me this long. Try riding a bike with one arm shorter than the other! :banghead:
Damn that sounds pretty nasty.

I just get small nagging injuries from my ankles and knees. I'm going to have my knee looked at later this summer, I would be surprised if they don't say I need surgery. I added a new injury this week at the muddy softball field when I pulled my hamstring for the first time ever. Damn that is a hopeless feeling, trying to get the body to run at full speed knowing full well you are moving at 1/3 speed. Couldn't even hit for crap because as soon as I would lean back on my back leg it would start to give out.

bricks
06-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Have you tried a cortisone shot?

never have...I heard about that though

bricks
06-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Wow...that sounds pretty vicious...I hope you get well soon.

Simplex3
06-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Ten posts into a thread about tendonitis is his right wrist and not one masterbation remark.
I didn't bring it up because I thought it was too obvious that he should whack off with his left hand more. Of course if he wasn't hung like a gnat that tenonitis would be in his elbow instead of his thumb.

bricks
06-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I have had severe tendonitis in my knees (mainly from aggressive mogul skiing)

A few things I can tell you about it.
1) the WORST advice I ever received was from a doctor who told me stop all activity for a month. After I did this - I attempted a workout and all my surrounding muscles were so weak that the tendon took the brunt of the activity and was injured again.

2) The thing that worked for me was physical therapy - get some exercises and streches targeted for that issue - work (if you can) & work out in moderation - BUT DON't stop. It will eventually get better but it takes time.

3) Try glucosimane chrondrotin -- it could be mental but I think this stuff does work some.

For me now the tendonitis comes and goes but if I stretch and work out I can keep in check.

yeah I hear glucosamine works real well...I never used it before. but, I heard good things about it. I think it is mainly for your joints though.

TEX
06-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Damn that sounds pretty nasty.

I just get small nagging injuries from my ankles and knees. I'm going to have my knee looked at later this summer, I would be surprised if they don't say I need surgery. I added a new injury this week at the muddy softball field when I pulled my hamstring for the first time ever. Damn that is a hopeless feeling, trying to get the body to run at full speed knowing full well you are moving at 1/3 speed. Couldn't even hit for crap because as soon as I would lean back on my back leg it would start to give out.

It is and it's quite painful. The fracture ss only about 3/4 of an inch, but my elbow swelled up the size of a softball! FKN OUCH! The frustrating part is trying to extend my elbow and it just stops - it's like I'm telling it what to do, but it just won't. It doesn't help to know that I might actually never be able to fully extend my elbow again. Just think of the long term implications that has. Working out, and all physical activities will never be the same again. I have to go cause I'm starting to feel sorry for myself now... :cuss:

bricks
06-06-2005, 12:32 PM

ROFL

Baby Lee
06-06-2005, 12:35 PM
If i told my employer, all he would do is set up an appointment for me to go see my company doctor. I have had that done in the past and it didn't go well. Company doctors are not the type of doctors I would want to see. They provide so much discouragement. Just simply by saying, "you are not treating your injury real well"...Simple words like that. Meanwhile you have been going through the whole entire healing process and rehab, and yet they provide cowardly statements like that. He assigns me back to work when I'm not required to work. Mainly, because I haven't been fully recovered from the injury. It's obvious what side they on. So obvious. Company doctors give the authorization for off duty and light duty.
Again, no familarity with Canadian law at all, but if it's anything like herer in the states;
You need to provide notice to the employer of your sense that you've sustained a work related injury. If not, and your need for care gets more severe, he'll be able to deny you later for withholding notice from him and denying him the opportunity to get you care from the outset.
Once you've provided notice, you need to allow him to guide your care. Though I have no doubt that the company docs are not your cup of tea, the laws are designed to incentivise your employer to get you adequate care and to make sure your injuries are as medically improved as possible.
If the Co Doc says you are maximally medically improved and you disagree, again relate this to your employer. He can then either authorize additional care or stand by the Co Doc's opinion. Once he's refused additional care, you are entitled to go seek additional care on your own. Be sure, to get an opinion from whomever gives you care that the care is work related.

bricks
06-06-2005, 12:36 PM
It is and it's quite painful. The fracture ss only about 3/4 of an inch, but my elbow swelled up the size of a softball! FKN OUCH! The frustrating part is trying to extend my elbow and it just stops - it's like I'm telling it what to do, but it just won't. It doesn't help to know that I might actually never be able to fully extend my elbow again. Just think of the long term implications that has. Working out, and all physical activities will never be the same again. I have to go cause I'm starting to feel sorry for myself now... :cuss:

Have the doctors told you, that within time you will be able to extend your elbow again? Working out or any physical activity is out of the question for a long long long time man. I'm sorry to hear about that.

morphius
06-06-2005, 12:37 PM
A buddy of mine had a finger pretty well mangled in a bike wreck, started doing some form of yoga on it after about 13 years of not being able to straighten it out and has it back to where it is pretty close to normal. If you want, I could ask him about it.

Also just remember that the Doc is giving you worst case, when I broke my pinky years ago the doc said I may never be able to straigten properly, and there is absolutly nothing wrong with it at all.

Lzen
06-06-2005, 12:40 PM
A lot of clutching and grabbing all day long. I usually grab with my right hand, it is my dominant hand.

They say you can go blind from doing too much of that.

Son of Logical
06-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Damn, someone should rename the lounge to the Injured Reserve. I pulled my hamstring playing in a mens league last Thursday, and I have not been able to go the gym either. I know this is going to sound like a chick so bring on the ribbing, I have a wedding to go this weekend, and I believe not going to the gym is wounding my chances of getting one of the bride's maids.

TEX
06-06-2005, 12:53 PM
A buddy of mine had a finger pretty well mangled in a bike wreck, started doing some form of yoga on it after about 13 years of not being able to straighten it out and has it back to where it is pretty close to normal. If you want, I could ask him about it.

Also just remember that the Doc is giving you worst case, when I broke my pinky years ago the doc said I may never be able to straigten properly, and there is absolutly nothing wrong with it at all.

Shoot - I'll try anything. I've kind of always wanted to get into yoga anyway. Now I have a reason. I'll definately look into it ASAP. There's no way I'm gonna just sit around and accept things as they are without trying to improve my situation.

TEX
06-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Have the doctors told you, that within time you will be able to extend your elbow again? Working out or any physical activity is out of the question for a long long long time man. I'm sorry to hear about that.

They tell me that I might never be able to fully extend it. It's a common after effect of recovering from a radial head fracture. The elbow joint is not built to break. Once it does, there's usually long term consequences. The danger is the bone could break away fully from the rest of the bone along the fracture. If that happens, then surgery would be required and they would have to secure the bone with pins. That would also add at least another 12 weeks recovery time. I don't even want to mess with that route. That's why I'm being vey careful.

morphius
06-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Shoot - I'll try anything. I've kind of always wanted to get into yoga anyway. Now I have a reason. I'll definately look into it ASAP. There's no way I'm gonna just sit around and accept things as they are without trying to improve my situation.
Here is the exact quote from my friend...

my finger has about about 90% of it's mobility. i need to work it on it more to regain the rest. if he's going to try it. he wants to find a certified anusara yoga teacher who does yoga therapy. http://anusara.com

Hope that helps.

Iowanian
06-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Tendonitis can sure suck. I fight it in my knees and elbows, and after tearing my patellar tendon, and then developing tendonitis, I had knee surgery, and wasn't right for over a year after(still am not really)....I also have some job related tendonitis issues...too much PC time.........ironically enough, taking breaks in action to type sarcastic tirades at you effers probably save my arse (mouse driven GUI tools)...

anyhooo,
I have taken I suppose 6-8 weeks of PT, and religiously do my stretches, take the anti-inflamatories, and ice it when its getting tight/sore. Much better.

Do your arm stretches....I put my right arm on the passenger seat backrest adn stretch it alot when driving.

TEX
06-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Here is the exact quote from my friend...

Hope that helps.

You bet it does Morphius, THANKS! :thumb:

I'll be getting right on ASAP.

morphius
06-06-2005, 01:29 PM
You bet it does Morphius, THANKS! :thumb:

I'll be getting right on ASAP.
Of course the thought of some guy who calls himself "Tex" doing yoga is enough to make any man laugh...

Good luck!

TEX
06-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Of course the thought of some guy who calls himself "Tex" doing yoga is enough to make any man laugh...

Good luck!

Yep. It's just a bb name. It's short for KC-CHIEFS-FAN -TX. The Yoga folks will just know me as Achillies or something... :rolleyes:

gblowfish
06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
They say you can go blind from doing too much of that.Hey, if you're right hand dominant. Just try using the left one. One of my college pals calls that "Dating the Stranger."

Ew.

Hope you feel better. I have a bad knee that flares up...like today it's bothering me. I just ice it down, try to stay off it for a day or so, and I take Glucosamine pills too. They really have seemed to help over the last year.

Sucks gettin old, don't it?