PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: San Diego AFC West Champions?

Donger
06-06-2005, 01:04 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/06/06/mmqb.favre.afc.pick/index.html?cnn=yes

SNIP

Here's how I see the rest of the AFC playing out seven weeks before we get a sniff of training camp:

Division champs: New England, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, San Diego.

Wild Cards: Indianapolis, Buffalo.

AFC Championship Game, at Foxboro Jan. 22: New England 19, San Diego 6.

You know, if San Diego didn't have five Eastern Time Zone in its last 13 games, I might give the Schottenheimers home field. But traveling to play the Pats, Eagles, Jets, Redskins and Colts in the span of 12 weeks -- you can't expect a team still getting used to success to conquer that kind of adversity.

bkkcoh
06-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Looks like the Vikings are supposed to lose one for the thumb..... oh wait, you don't get rings for that, do you.....

tomahawk kid
06-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Peter King hasn't had anything insightful or relavant to say in over a decade.

Nothing to see here. Please move on.

Hercules Rockefell
06-06-2005, 01:08 PM
But traveling to play the Pats, Eagles, Jets, Redskins and Colts in the span of 12 weeks -- you can't expect a team still getting used to success to conquer that kind of adversity.

Kinda like you can't expect them to come out of those games with more than just a win at the Skins at this point. Losses at Den and KC makes it 6. Then there's a home games vs Pitt and Buffalo and 4 more divisional games.

I really don't think you can expect the division winner to be SD or Oakland this year. Their road schedules are brutal, whereas Denver and KC get those teams at home.

Mile High Mania
06-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Did Plummer get his MVP vote again?

TEX
06-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Peter King hasn't had anything insightful or relavant to say in over a decade.

Nothing to see here. Please move on.

But he has said some pretty funny $hit and that's got to be worth something. I mean last year he said that Plummer would be the MVP. ROFL

Warrior5
06-06-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm surprised he didn't pick the Rams to win the AFC West.

Goapics1
06-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Fat Peter was probably chewing a footlong meatball sub in his right hand and holding a deep dish supreme pizza in left when he was typing that. Probably couldn't get his fingers on the correct keys.

bkkcoh
06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Fat Peter was probably chewing a footlong meatball sub in his right hand and holding a deep dish supreme pizza in left when he was typing that. Probably couldn't get his fingers on the correct keys.

too much grease to stay on the correct keys.

keg in kc
06-06-2005, 03:28 PM
From Rams homer to Chargers homer, I guess.

SD will be lucky to break .500, this year. Even since the schedule format was changed, the NFL trend has still been up year/down year with all but a couple exceptions, and Marty's always had that trend himself.

Eleazar
06-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Another season, Peter King is still gay.

buddha
06-06-2005, 03:46 PM
I like the Chiefs as much as anybody, but why wouldn't they have a good shot this year? I get that the schedule is tougher, but they're pretty solid on both sides of the ball. LT isn't going anywhere, and will Brees regress? Their defense got stronger over the off season. I wouldn't expect them to slip much this season.

|Zach|
06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I still don't quite understand the practice of ripping someone to shreads every time they write about another team doing well...

Must be a message board culture thing.

skky man
06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Well I just think Fat king is playing to the media market in picking! The fact is last year was no different in SD than Cleveland and KC Marty Ball is great until you get to the postseason! Great coach but he plays not to lose when it counts!

ChiefFripp
06-06-2005, 04:27 PM
It is just strange to me that these guys get paid to make meaningless predictions. Well most of what Peter King types is meaningless tripe. I doubt even homer donkey fans thought Plummet could make MVP.

FloridaMan88
06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Didn't King pick a Jacksonville-Seattle Super Bowl around this same time last year?

tk13
06-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I like the Chiefs as much as anybody, but why wouldn't they have a good shot this year? I get that the schedule is tougher, but they're pretty solid on both sides of the ball. LT isn't going anywhere, and will Brees regress? Their defense got stronger over the off season. I wouldn't expect them to slip much this season.
I think they'll still be a talented team, I just think that schedule is going to get them. Seems like almost all their tough games are on the road, they've got a 6 game stretch in the middle that's @ NE, Pit, @ Oakland, @ Philly, KC, @ NY Jets... that's the two Super Bowl teams on the road plus a tough Jets team and Oakland, then the two home games are Pittsburgh who went 15-1 last year, and the Chiefs. Then they have to finish @ Indy, @ KC, and against Denver.... I think they'll really, really have to earn it. But by the same token both KC and Oakland have a very tough first 4-5 games... if neither team comes out of the gate firing both teams could be looking at 1-4 type starts. We all seem to get NE and Philly, the Jets, etc. pretty early. Either we crash and burn against those teams and end up looking like the NFC West, or this division steps up to the plate and helps knock NE and Philly back down a notch.

I think Denver has a good advantage there, I think their schedule sets up well to where they can jump out ahead of everybody else and gain some confidence (much like the Jets last year)... although their 2nd half after the bye is real tough, which is the opposite of everybody else in the division.

Gravedigger
06-06-2005, 06:55 PM
What a big shock another sportscaster/writer is picking the patriots... god enough is enough with the flippin patriots they're done. When you lose your offensive coordinator and your defensive coordinator your not gonna be as good I don't care if you are bill bellicheck.

Red Dawg
06-07-2005, 03:58 AM
NO WAY WE LOSE THE DIVISION THIS YEAR. OUR BOYS ARE FIRED UP AND READY TO ROLL. THE WILL BE EVEN BETTER WITH THE HEALTH OF BO AND WILSON IN THE MIX.

wildcat09
06-07-2005, 04:02 AM
yada yada yada, blah blah blah. we will win the division plain and simple. peter king eat sh*t biotch

Mile High Mania
06-07-2005, 06:09 AM
The Patriots are done? Losing their OC and DC will hurt, but c'mon ... the players still play and they have all the key players returning. It won't be easy, but damn... they're not done.

I too am confused at what it is exactly that Peter King brings to the table... more often than not, he's dragging a big bag of nothing.

KCTitus
06-07-2005, 07:18 AM
I wouldnt necessarily say the Patriots are done, but 3 in a row is a very tall order. They're a good team, but the bounces have got to start going the other way at some point.

Playing the NFCW schedule last year didnt hurt either.