PDA

View Full Version : Q & A's 6/6

FloridaChief
06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Jun 06, 2005, 5:12:50 PM

Q: How was the first day back at practice?

VERMEIL: “A lot of enthusiasm, moving quickly and it was fun, fun to watch them work.”

Q: Wide receiver Freddie Mitchell is here for a workout, what are you expecting?vota7

VERMEIL: “He is here for a workout. You never know how much a guy is willing to pay for. But we just brought him in and we have another receiver coming in Az Hakim coming in tomorrow and see where they are, what they want to do, how much money would cost, those kind of things. Freddie was a first-round pick we had him rated as a first-round pick, he’s out on the street looking for a job all is it cost was an airline ticket to get him here.”

Q: How do you see the receiver spot opposite Eddie?

VERMEIL: “Actually every position is wide open but you don’t expect anyone to step up to beat Eddie Kennison out. At the other side we think we have some other guys we think can compete with Samie Parker. We will just have to wait and see and we have two other receivers that are in the rehab process that have been making a contribution starting with Marc Boerigter and Chris Horn. But whenever you have an opportunity to evaluate somebody that was a first-round pick you better take a look at him. But yet he is still a young man. ”

Q: Is wide receiver a position of concern for you?

VERMEIL: “Well I think it’s always a concern. You know my philosophy on concern is if I have a concern, I will always hope I’m wrong and so I shouldn’t really have that concern but as I am the head coach and anyone who is in a leadership responsibility your always concerned about everything. I am always concerned about our receiver corps have been since the day I got here. Our receiver corps has done a good job. We should have two receivers over a 1,000 yards last and a tight end over 1,000 yards. Our coaches are doing a good job with our corps. Johnnie Morton was our security blanket. He was our best receiver in third down, one of the top third down conversion receivers in the National Football League and you just don’t replace them in five days of practice.”

Q: Was it nice to see Will Shields out here even though he didn’t work out? Was it nice to see Willie Roaf make an appearance and also have Kendrell Bell, and Richard Smith back?

VERMEIL: “You know little children have night-nights. Those big tackles are my night-nights. That big Will Shields, I feel better, I feel smarter, I feel like were going to be a better team soon as I see those two people out there, Will Shields and Willie Roaf.”

Q: Does it make you feel better, Brian Waters had said that because he has a new baby and that he will be at mini-camp does that kind of ease a little bit or you would like to see him here?

VERMEIL: “Oh sure I would like to see him here. He belongs here. He is an ascending player that needs a lot of work on fundamentals, a lot of work. So he can become consistent. When he does things right, he makes us better. But it’s going to take him some time and he’s not there yet, so he’s missing valuable time. He is the only guy not here.”

Q: Az Hakim, is he coming tomorrow?

VERMEIL: “Yes he is coming tomorrow. He was released earlier. I talked to him earlier and we thought this was a great opportunity for him and all of a sudden Johnnie Morton’s not here, that increased the opportunity. Plus he’s a little guy receiver at 5'9". He’s a returner and you know we already have a returner like him so it wasn’t a great opportunity but the loss of Johnnie Morton now makes it maybe a little better opportunity for him. I want him to go where he has the best opportunity.”

Q: What about Koren Robinson from Seattle, any interest from him?

VERMEIL: “I know he can play. He has some problems.”

Q: When do you expect Waters to be here?

VERMEIL: “I know he’s going to be here for the mini-camp, but I’ve heard rumors he’s going to be in town this week.”

Q: If you could get one the receivers to step up and play well, what would that mean in terms of opening things up a little more with Tony Gonzalez, Priest Holmes?

VERMEIL: “I don’t think it makes a bit of difference. If Tony Gonzalez set a team record for 103 catches and it’s an NFL record for a tight end, those are great clichés and great terms. The way we run our offense we distribute the ball to all our players that play. Regardless of who plays split end whether it be Johnnie Morton or Freddie Mitchell, Chris Horn, Marc Boerigter, Dante Hall. They play all the time. They will catch 55 to 65 balls now they aren’t going to catch 85 or 90 because we don’t feature any one wide receiver. They only guy we really feature is Tony Gonzalez.”

Q: What about Kris Wilson?

VERMEIL: “Oh yeah he will be in there. He will allow us some flexibility.”

Q: Does he look like a rookie again or how does he look?

VERMEIL: “No he’s much further along he was in a year. I am not 100 percent sure he’s got all his quickness back yet.”

Q: The tempo today was a bit quicker, was that by design or was that just the guys getting after it?

VERMEIL: That was just the kids having fun, they were having fun. They were fresh. They had the week off. It will slow down as the week goes on. It was good.

Q: After you take the week off what do you guys stress?

VERMEIL: “We went right back to the schedule that we had predetermined all the way through. The coaches have the entire practice organized all the way through. We know what we are doing. Basically it’s an installation of the schemes.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q&A G WILL SHIELDS
Jun 06, 2005, 5:11:36 PM

Q: You were contemplating retirement at one time, but obviously not yet?

SHIELDS: “I still haven’t participated in anything yet, so we will see how it goes.”

Q: Are you going to participate in mini-camp, and then make a decision on retirement?shieldsota

SHIELDS: “I am just going to come out here and do the things I have been doing in and out. I am not really worried about everything else. I am just going to come out and do what I have to do and move on. Coach (Vermeil) knows where I am going and how it’s going to work and we will go from there.”

Q: What would weigh you one way or another about retiring?

SHIELDS: “It depends if I can get up and walk the next morning. It makes a big difference how you feel the next day and as you work your way through it. We are going to come out and get some things done and we are going to go from there. ”

Q: Is it important to come out and be around the guys?

SHIELDS: “It is always important to be around the guys to come out and see them. It is important to watch the guys work and do well. Those are the kind of things that set the tone and get your body moving again and ready to go back to work.”

Q: Is the fire still there?

SHIELDS: “It’s not a question about fire. I still love to play the game. It’s just a simple fact about whether or not your body can do it or not.”

Q: Has this off-season made it more difficult than in the past? Does it usually take a couple months?

SHIELDS: “Any time in you reach a certain point in your career your contemplating what you are going to do in the future. I just think it’s more and less between you and your family of what is best for your body. To me it’s not that big of a deal. If it’s time for me to roll then so be it.”

Q: How does your body feel now?

SHIELDS: “I am doing ok. I can’t complain. I am taking it day to day. We will see how it works for the few more weeks of OTAs . We will see how it works from there.”

Q: I would imagine your body is going to tell you one thing but what about your heart?

SHIELDS: “Sometimes your body outweighs your heart. You never can tell what is going to happen. You go one way, you do one thing. It has been a long time. This is my 13th (season) coming up and you have been playing this long. I have been fortunate and blessed to stay healthy all the way through it.”

Q: Is the desire still there?

SHIELDS: “I think so. I am guy that can try to play football till I am 50. The simple fact of it is you have to be smart about it.”

Q: How much does the fact this offense is so good and the defense has improved so much weigh in your outcome?

SHIELDS: “It doesn’t have a weigh on anything. I think it more or less weighs on the simple fact of I can do it. It’s not about the team thing and everything else. It is the simple fact if I want to be able to be out there and contribute and I think that is what is most important.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/

tk13
06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Man I sure hope we don't sign Mitchell. Of course, I said the same thing about Kennison and he worked out pretty well. I can just see this team winning a playoff game then Mitchell going off in the media and bringing us all this negative attention. He has one of the worst mouth/production ratios in the league.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Shields sounds like he's trying to talk himself into retiring.

Big Chief Homer
06-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Anyone else concerned about the shields Q and A?

plus I think Vermiel slipped,he mentioned mitchell in with all the recievers already on the team.

Chiefnj
06-06-2005, 07:45 PM
They should let Shields practice whenever he feels like it. The guy sounds like he's on the fence.

C-Mac
06-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Anyone else concerned about the shields Q and A?

plus I think Vermiel slipped,he mentioned mitchell in with all the recievers already on the team.

I guess then he also slipped mentioning Morton also?

chiefs4me
06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Is the desire still there?

I think so.........:spock:

it's either there or not there....there is no thinking about it.:shake:

beer bacon
06-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Is the desire still there?

I think so.........:spock:

it's either there or not there....there is no thinking about it.:shake:

I am glad we here at Chiefsplanet are here to tell Will Shields about the game of football. I am especially joyful that we are able to inform Will about the specifics of how that desire relates to the aforementioned game of football.

TRR
06-06-2005, 09:07 PM
I am not impressed with the way Will Shields is handling his decision. He's earned the right to do what he pleases over the years, however his "me" attitude in this Q&A makes me second guess Will Shields a little bit.

Big Chief Homer
06-06-2005, 09:14 PM
I guess then he also slipped mentioning Morton also?

thats not the point,the way I read it was he was talking about recievers on the team or that were on the team.It could be a subtle slip up or could be a insert player here type of answer,but it seemed to me to be a slip up.

Take it as you wish.

whoman69
06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
I still can't see signing Mitchell and holding back the progress of the young talented receivers we already have here. Az Hakim doesn't bring anything we don't already have with more talent in Dante Hall.
I can't stand this revisionist history being put forth about how Johnny Morton was this great 3rd down receiver. We had alot of times where we passed on 3rd down, so the opportunities are there. What I remember is all the times he couldn't get open or hold onto the ball.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Wasn't there an article a couple months back that basically stated that Will Shields is for sure coming back? I don't get it.

I can understand his indecisiveness a little bit, though. Tear up your body for a season where the defense may not give you any help again, or should I retire and move on?

It's up to him, but I hope he does stay for one more year. I can see how he would probably be tired of the failure.

beer bacon
06-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Wasn't there an article a couple months back that basically stated that Will Shields is for sure coming back? I don't get it.

I can understand his indecisiveness a little bit, though. Tear up your body for a season where the defense may not give you any help again, or should I retire and move on?

It's up to him, but I hope he does stay for one more year. I can see how he would probably be tired of the failure.

A week or two ago DV straight out said he would be back for another season.

TEX
06-06-2005, 09:18 PM
I am not impressed with the way Will Shields is handling his decision. He's earned the right to do what he pleases over the years, however his "me" attitude in this Q&A makes me second guess Will Shields a little bit.

Really? I'm concerned about his coments too, but IMO he's just being honest. Maybe he should keep those thoughts to himself and just let the team know rather than the public. He did say that Vermeil knew the situation. :hmmm:

Big Chief Homer
06-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Really? I'm concerned about his coments too, but IMO he's just being honest. Maybe he should keep those thoughts to himself and just let the team know rather than the public. He did say that Vermeil knew the situation. :hmmm:

and vermiel said he would be back next season,he also said they wouldnt be bringing Az-Hakim in.

It sucks that no one can believe a word that comes out of DV's mouth :banghead: :cuss:

TEX
06-06-2005, 09:48 PM
and vermiel said he would be back next season,he also said they wouldnt be bringing Az-Hakim in.

It sucks that no one can believe a word that comes out of DV's mouth :banghead: :cuss:

I hear ya, but people do change their minds allot.

stevieray
06-06-2005, 09:53 PM
I think Will is done. I hope I'm wrong, but the guy is talking about being able or unable to walk the day after a game.

J Diddy
06-07-2005, 12:53 AM
I think Will is done. I hope I'm wrong, but the guy is talking about being able or unable to walk the day after a game.

I think he'll play, I think he's playing the game to get out of as much TC crap as possible.

However, I definitely think this will be his last year.

beer bacon
06-07-2005, 01:10 AM
I think he'll play, I think he's playing the game to get out of as much TC crap as possible.

I was thinking earlier that if you read the interview from the PoV of him just rationalizing as little as possible this summer, as opposed to not playing at all, then his responses have a much different connotation.

KChiefs1
06-07-2005, 06:51 AM
He's earned the right to do what he pleases over the years, however his "me" attitude in this Q&A makes me second guess Will Shields a little bit.

The Chiefs have bigger worries than if Will Shields is going to retire or not. Don't worry #68 will be lined up in his usual position come September 11th. :)

htismaqe
06-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Shields has earned the right to do whatever he wants. I think he's probably just trying to get out of TC stuff right now.

I'm a little concerned, but I honestly think he'll be there at the start of the season because he'd never forgive himself if he retired and they made it to the big game.

kc rush
06-07-2005, 08:14 AM
I hope Shields is in there because the team is much better with him. But if he does hang it up, at least we have Welbourne who is proven at guard.

C-Mac
06-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Is this stating that Bell was back to practicing or just hanging out at the practice?
If he's practicing again thats good news for sure.

C-Mac
06-07-2005, 08:21 AM
I hope Shields is in there because the team is much better with him. But if he does hang it up, at least we have Welbourne who is proven at guard.

I think at the very least he will still start and then maybe share time wisely with Welbourne.

Hoover
06-07-2005, 08:32 AM
While I would love to have Shields on the oline, If he does retire I think Welbourn will fill in well.

R&GHomer
06-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Come on Shields, just one more year man. DV has stated on a couple of occasions that Welbourn has been doing very well in Shields absence, but Shields is one of those rare talents that has always given a 100 % and is truly a master of his craft. It sure is going to suck when he finally hangs it up.

AirForceChief
06-07-2005, 08:54 AM
VERMEIL: “Well I think it’s always a concern. You know my philosophy on concern is if I have a concern, I will always hope I’m wrong and so I shouldn’t really have that concern but as I am the head coach and anyone who is in a leadership responsibility your always concerned about everything. I am always concerned about our receiver corps have been since the day I got here. Our receiver corps has done a good job. We should have two receivers over a 1,000 yards last and a tight end over 1,000 yards. Our coaches are doing a good job with our corps.”

Man, maybe they removed more than some skin tissue when they went in for DV's operation? Is he sporting two puncture holes near his eye sockets and black eyes today? He should have ended this rambling with,

"...only four more days until adultery season. I mean Christmas. Season. Yule log. Not that I have a log, like you think I meant log."

R&GHomer
06-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Speaking of mini camp. What date is it open to the public? My wife said she heard something on the radio about it, but couldn't remember the exact date.

kc rush
06-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Is this stating that Bell was back to practicing or just hanging out at the practice?
If he's practicing again thats good news for sure.

From the notes section, it sounds like Bell was back to practicing.

kc rush
06-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Speaking of mini camp. What date is it open to the public? My wife said she heard something on the radio about it, but couldn't remember the exact date.

June 18th.

R&GHomer
06-07-2005, 09:13 AM
June 18th.

Thanks Kc...

TRR
06-07-2005, 09:20 AM
A lot of people bash Vermeil for the way he handles players. But if it weren't for Vermeil, I think Will Shields would probably have stepped away this offseason. Vermeil is allowing Shields to do anything he wants in regards to OTA's, Mini Camp, and Training Camp. DV understands that Shields has earned the right to decide, and that freedom is what is keeping him around for now.

I personally have all the confidence in the world in John Welbourn. I really don't think we would see much of a drop off if any replacing Shields with Welbourn.

ChiTown
06-07-2005, 09:31 AM

I think he'll play one more year, as will Willie, and they both ride off into the sunset after that.

J Diddy
06-07-2005, 09:34 AM
A lot of people bash Vermeil for the way he handles players. But if it weren't for Vermeil, I think Will Shields would probably have stepped away this offseason. Vermeil is allowing Shields to do anything he wants in regards to OTA's, Mini Camp, and Training Camp. DV understands that Shields has earned the right to decide, and that freedom is what is keeping him around for now.

I personally have all the confidence in the world in John Welbourn. I really don't think we would see much of a drop off if any replacing Shields with Welbourn.

Are you freaking insane?

A perennial All pro being replaced will be a drop off anyway you look at it.

Besides that Shields is special.

ChiTown
06-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Are you freaking insane?

No doubt.

Will Shields makes that line what it is. I have no confidence whatsoever that John Welbourn can effectively take his place. None.

TRR
06-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Are you freaking insane?

Not at all. If Shields can't hardly walk the next day after a game, I think it's time to hang it up. Welbourn was considered one of the best guards in the game in Philly. Without a doubt, it will take time to develop chemistry. But Welbourn is more than capable of filling Shields shoes at this point in both of their careers.

J Diddy
06-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Not at all. If Shields can't hardly walk the next day after a game, I think it's time to hang it up. Welbourn was considered one of the best guards in the game in Philly. Without a doubt, it will take time to develop chemistry. But Welbourn is more than capable of filling Shields shoes at this point in both of their careers.

No way....

Shields is a leader, Welbourne is not. The reason Shields couldn't walk the next day is because he's doing his job at any cost, Welbourne would not.

To say that one of the greatest linemen ever in the NFL could walk away and be easily replaced by a guy that Philly didn't want and we overpaid for is absurd.

Regardless of points in careers.
Welbourne ain't done nothing yet.

TRR
06-07-2005, 09:45 AM
No way....

Shields is a leader, Welbourne is not. The reason Shields couldn't walk the next day is because he's doing his job at any cost, Welbourne would not.

To say that one of the greatest linemen ever in the NFL could walk away and be easily replaced by a guy that Philly didn't want and we overpaid for is absurd.

Regardless of points in careers.
Welbourne ain't done nothing yet.

Maybe your right....We will have to wait to see.

J Diddy
06-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Maybe your right....We will have to wait to see.

I hope not this year.

TRR
06-07-2005, 09:50 AM
I hope not this year.

Doesn't really matter to me. If Shields thinks it's time....then he needs to go. Hopefully he decides sooner than later.

chiefs4me
06-07-2005, 09:50 AM
I am glad we here at Chiefsplanet are here to tell Will Shields about the game of football. I am especially joyful that we are able to inform Will about the specifics of how that desire relates to the aforementioned game of football.

bite me.....:harumph:

TEX
06-07-2005, 10:18 AM

I strongly disagree. Welbourne is nothing like Shields. Shields can do it all and never is injured. Welbourne has been injured his whole career. I bet the drop off would be more than noticeable.

TEX
06-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Doesn't really matter to me. If Shields thinks it's time....then he needs to go. Hopefully he decides sooner than later.

This I do agree with.

beer bacon
06-07-2005, 02:36 PM
610 AM just said that Will Shields practiced today.

htismaqe
06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
610 AM just said that Will Shields practiced today.

I don't think he ever said he wasn't going to participate. He was just waiting to see how he felt AFTER.

beer bacon
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't think he ever said he wasn't going to participate. He was just waiting to see how he felt AFTER.

Well, he was excused from participating in OTAs entirely.

HemiEd
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM

I think you are exactly right. He said that DV knows the score basically. I took that as a statement of an agreement. He is tired of all the TC work and does not need it. I think all of the rest is just window dressing for the special treatment that he is getting and deserves.

htismaqe
06-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Well, he was excused from participating in OTAs entirely.

Yeah, he was excused by Vermeil. But nothing Shields ever said indicated he ASKED to be excused. The way I understood it, the offer was extended to him by the team of their own volition.

Hydrae
06-07-2005, 05:42 PM
I would hope Shields wouldn't pull a Ricky and retire at this point or later in the off season. That would hurt the team he has given his all to his entire career. I jut hope he isn't that selfish.

I do think this will be his last season though. Hopefully he can go out on top when we win in Detroit in February! :thumb: