PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else a little sick of the Will Shields thing?

tomahawk kid
06-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Before I go any further, I'd like to preface my comments with that fact that Will is one of my favorite Chiefs. I have the utmost respect for his accomplishments both on and off the field. He is truly one of the all time greats to ever wear a Chiefs uniform.

Having said all that, I'm a little annoyed about Will's "retirement consideration".

I understand this is his 13th season coming up and the guy is having arthritic issues in his knees and shoulder. I understand that he has a family and wants to be able to walk when he's older.

But, why wait until training camp to see how the "body holds up"? Couldn't he be participating in the OTA's and minicamps in order to assess his body's condition and thereby decide if he can give it one more year?

I'm worried that Will is going to get to River Falls, practice for a week and then decide he can't do it anymore and walk away, leaving KC with Welbourne (who has a history of injuries) at Shields position. I understand that Will has earned this time to consider his future, I just wish the organization could have more time to react IF he decides retire.

Do I stand alone?

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-07-2005, 08:07 AM
The enternal pessimist in me... the one that has watched too many Chiefs seasons go down the drain......... expects that now that we have made some hopefully significant improvements on defense, something bad is gonna happen on the offensive side to keep us just short of the promised land again. Sheilds retiring and the negative impact that could have on the O-line/running game/pass protection could be that thing.

I'm nothing if not deeply jaded...

jspchief
06-07-2005, 08:13 AM
As much as I like Shields, I don't care for the way he's handling this. If he was going to retire, he should have done it after the season so the team knew it had another hole to fill.

I'm beginning to think this is just a ploy to avoid as much off-season work as possible. I think he plans on playing, but wants to take it easy until the season starts.

tomahawk kid
06-07-2005, 08:15 AM
As much as I like Shields, I don't care for the way he's handling this. If he was going to retire, he should have done it after the season so the team knew it had another hole to fill.

I'm beginning to think this is just a ploy to avoid as much off-season work as possible. I think he plans on playing, but wants to take it easy until the season starts.

That's what I'm hoping, but I'm starting to worry.

Brock
06-07-2005, 08:17 AM
He's not going to retire. He obviously still wants to play.

BigRedChief
06-07-2005, 08:19 AM
He's not going to retire. He obviously still wants to play.

Yes, he wants to play but at what health cost?

Will Shields has earned the right to take time to decide. He's going to be successful in life after football. He needs to decide if he wants to wake up in pain every morning or have joint issues to win a Super Bowl. For an intelligent man that has to be a hard choice.

Saulbadguy
06-07-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm not woried.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-07-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm not woried.
... but are you worried?

:D

BigRedChief
06-07-2005, 08:23 AM
I'm not woried.

Yes, we know. You are Saulbadguy.

wasi
06-07-2005, 08:30 AM
I hope he plays. However, camp is when he will have the first chance to test himself so can't blame him for wanting to wait. It's clear the the coaches have been kept up to speed and that they have taken the neccessary steps incase Shields isn't around. The Chiefs will still have a good line with Shields in or out. The difference is if they are great or not. Football is a game of adversity and how you handle it, this is a good team. I feel that what we MIGHT loose in offensive production has been more than offset by the additions to D. This team runs the ball well, and I believe they can with or without Shields) and that can win a lot of games.

tomahawk kid
06-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I hope he plays. However, camp is when he will have the first chance to test himself so can't blame him for wanting to wait. It's clear the the coaches have been kept up to speed and that they have taken the neccessary steps incase Shields isn't around. The Chiefs will still have a good line with Shields in or out. The difference is if they are great or not. Football is a game of adversity and how you handle it, this is a good team. I feel that what we MIGHT loose in offensive production has been more than offset by the additions to D. This team runs the ball well, and I believe they can with or without Shields) and that can win a lot of games.

Don't kid yourself. There is a huge drop-off between Shields and Welbourne or anyone else for that matter.

His loss would be huge.

JimNasium
06-07-2005, 08:35 AM
The guy has earned the right to sit out the OTA's and mini-camp. He's also got the right perspective regarding life and his health IMO. I think he will play and I appreciate his candor on this issue. Better than fake-azz sound bites in my opinion. Some of you need to lighten the **** up. It's only June.

Chiefnj
06-07-2005, 08:37 AM
The guy has earned the right to sit out the OTA's and mini-camp. He's also got the right perspective regarding life and his health IMO. I think he will play and I appreciate his candor on this issue. Better than fake-azz sound bites in my opinion. Some of you need to lighten the **** up. It's only June.

I agree. There are certain players, in particular on offense, who you know can miss camp and still show up and be ready for the season opener, in good condition and play at a high level. Roaf, Shields, Holmes, Tony G., Tony R, and even Trent for the most part.