PDA

View Full Version : DV Q&A 6/7

beer bacon
06-07-2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/06/07/qa_with_dick_vermeil/

Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Jun 07, 2005, 4:43:26 PM

Q: Could you make a few comments about WR Freddie Mitchell, who you had in yesterday? He made a statement about you not wanting him to talk to the media?

VERMEIL: “I appreciate him saying that but I really didn’t give him any instructions. He was smart in trying to prevent some of the problems he had in Philadelphia. I have never told a player not to say anything like that but it probably was a good idea for him.”

Q: I see you have WR Az Hakim here today?

VERMEIL: “We are going to work Az Hakim in here. I had a great visit with him yesterday. He has a good frame of mind and some other opportunities. I wanted to visit with him and find out where he was. I wanted to see what kind of job he had in mind for the future. I wanted to see if there was an opportunity that we could create that might be better that he could consider.”

Q: How did the visit with Freddie Mitchell go?

VERMEIL: “I enjoyed it very much. In fact I talked to Andy Reid about it this morning. Coach Reid was very positive about the young man. ”

Q: Do you think he could fit into your salary cap structure?

VERMEIL: “I can’t determine that. Even if you can sometimes there still isn’t a fit or we just do not need somebody. I was impressed with him. I think everyone was impressed with him and I was pleased about what Andy Reid said about him.”

Q: Is it going to come down to obviously in terms of money?

VERMEIL: “It always does.”

Q: Let’s say they are just going to take the veteran minimum is that going to be a toss up between Az Hakim and Freddie Mitchell?

VERMEIL: “We can take both.”

Q: You would consider signing both?

VERMEIL: “You can never have too many good football players. I learned that a long time ago. Competition makes other people better as well. Plus, Az Hakim knows the offense, he could run it today.”

Q: Is there anything he needs to show you or has to show you in the next hour?

VERMEIL: “No. I asked him to work more for the other people that do not know him rather than Al (Saunders) and me.”

Q: Will Shields was pretty much a spectator yesterday and a participant today, it looks like he got a lot of work and it seemed like you were energized particularly about him?

VERMEIL: “I asked Casey Wiegmann if he recognized who the guy was lining up next to him. It’s great to have him out here working in and out a few times in drills to pace himself to really get ready to go.”

Q: He said he still isn’t sure whether he will be playing this season or not?

VERMEIL: “I am not going to get into that. He has never said that to me. All I am going to assume is that he will play. The timing would be very poor for him to all of sudden decide that it isn’t.”

Q: We know that you are looking at wide receiver and also another position is cornerback, are you still in contact with CB Ty Law?

VERMEIL: “I haven’t talked to Ty Law.”

Q: Is there still some interest in him?

VERMEIL: “I think there would always be interest. Ty Law and the salary cap is a much more difficult situation.”

Q: Are you bringing CB Bobby Taylor in at all?

VERMEIL: “No, not that I know of.

Q: Could you give us an update physically on with Mike Maslowski and Scott Fujita?

VERMEIL: “Maslowski is running full speed. All the procedures have medically been done right here by our own medical staff chances are then they would be more apt to be going in the direction in turning them loose in practice. When it is done out of the area you have to be much more conservative because usually those doctors are more conservative to have them full go. I am still waiting for Dextor McCleon to be giving the full go to go to work. If our doctors had done the work and he had been in our program the whole time chances are he would be working. It is always more conservative when someone else does the work.”

Q: Does the same go with Marc Boerigter, is that the same situation?

VERMEIL: “Yeah really but Boerigter is an ACL. The time period is the same regardless which doctor does it. Boerigter looks like he is ready to go which is very pleasing. I know we have a real good report on Scott Fujita.

Q: Anybody you don’t anticipate having ready the first day of camp?

VERMEIL: “The one I am most concerned about is Shawn Barber. He could enter camp physically unable to perform.”

Q: In terms of middle linebacker, what does it look like right now?

VERMEIL: “You can’t really tell in terms of a linebacker position or how a battle is going because there is not contact being made. There are no tackles being made or being missed. There is no one running over top of your blocker. It is hard to evaluate but in watching the middle linebackers work they have been very impressive. The little guy reminds me so much of London Fletcher, Boomer does. He is bigger but he moves like him and bends his knees like him. I see the same kind of kid.”

Q: Is Rich Scanlon doing himself some good over in NFL Europe?

VERMEIL: “I wouldn’t doubt if he was the NFL Europe Defensive Player of the Year.

Q: As far as making an impact enough to work your way into your picture?

VERMEIL: “Sure he has, plus he has introduced himself to the rest of the league if he doesn’t here. That was the one reason I told him he needed to go. There is no guarantee you get jobs. The more people you expose your product to the better chance you have to getting one.”

Q: When he comes over just having played all spring will you take it a little easy on him?

VERMEIL: “No. Young kids like that they get a week vacation they can go to work. He will have over a month to recuperate. They don’t work them so hard over there. They don’t wear them out.”

Q: Az Hakim is a few years removed when you had him in St. Louis judging from today’s workout is he the same player?

VERMEIL:”I expect him to be a better player. He had a good year this last year. He caught over 40 balls and did a good job. They drafted three first-round receivers and eventually someone has to go. I just love the kid. It’s great to see the kid and have dinner with him tonight. He has other opportunities. I have been selling him to (Arizona offensive coordinator) Keith Rowen for a month and half to or how long he has been free to other teams I have talked to about him. He still didn’t have a job and so I just brought him in here and talked to him about our situation. I know he can play and I don’t have any reservations about that.

Q: Did he give you any indications about what his wishes are?

VERMEIL: “Yeah but we sometimes don’t get what we wish.”

Q: Does Kawika Mitchell have a chance to start?

VERMEIL: “He is the most gifted athlete I have ever been on the field with at the middle linebacker position in terms of athletic skill, movement, running. Now if he can turn in into playing the game in the utilization of all those skills and tackle well and knock the hell out of people and instinctively get started he will be a hell of linebacker. When we drafted him I still think he can be a great player and only time will tell.”

Pants
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
More coach speek BS from DV. He sounds happy though, good sign.

Rain Man
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I wish Dick Vermeil would help market my company like he's doing with Az Hakim.

TRR
06-07-2005, 04:19 PM

VERMEIL: “He is the most gifted athlete I have ever been on the field with at the middle linebacker position in terms of athletic skill, movement, running. Now if he can turn in into playing the game in the utilization of all those skills and tackle well and knock the hell out of people and instinctively get started he will be a hell of linebacker. When we drafted him I still think he can be a great player and only time will tell.”

That's why Dick Vermeil is known as an offensive-minded football coach.

TRR
06-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Reading the last comment Vermeil made on Hakim, it sounds like Az wants to be a Chief.

I prefer Hakim over Freddie Mitchell.

Also it sounded like Shields is kind of leading Vermeil down the wrong path.

Rausch
06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/06/07/qa_with_dick_vermeil/

Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Jun 07, 2005, 4:43:26 PM

VERMEIL: “I haven’t talked to Ty Law.”

Q: Is there still some interest in him?

VERMEIL: “I think there would always be interest. Ty Law and the salary cap is a much more difficult situation.”

Sounds good.

"Yeah, for a decent amount of money, sure we'd like to have him..."

Q: Are you bringing CB Bobby Taylor in at all?

VERMEIL: “No, not that I know of.

Of course not.

With McMillan II, Battle, Bartee, and Sapp how could we possibly hope to improve our depth?

:spock:

Q: Az Hakim is a few years removed when you had him in St. Louis judging from today’s workout is he the same player?

VERMEIL:”I expect him to be a better player. He had a good year this last year. He caught over 40 balls and did a good job. They drafted three first-round receivers and eventually someone has to go. I just love the kid. It’s great to see the kid and have dinner with him tonight. He has other opportunities. I have been selling him to (Arizona offensive coordinator) Keith Rowen for a month and half to or how long he has been free to other teams I have talked to about him. He still didn’t have a job and so I just brought him in here and talked to him about our situation. I know he can play and I don’t have any reservations about that.

Q: Did he give you any indications about what his wishes are?

VERMEIL: “Yeah but we sometimes don’t get what we wish.”

No kidding?...

Bwana
06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
I wish Dick Vermeil would help market my company like he's doing with Az Hakim.

Or Kawika Mitchell. :shake:

HemiEd
06-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Maz is running full speed, Bo is ready to go, that is good news. I hope we do not sign Az Hakim.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Maz is running full speed, Bo is ready to go, that is good news. I hope we do not sign Az Hakim.

I don't know why everyone is hating on Az Hakim.

It's not like we have all-world receivers here.

Sign Hakim, start Parker/Kennison, work Hakim in the slot and make Boerighter and Thorpe the 4th and 5th.

Use Dante situationally in games.

tomahawk kid
06-07-2005, 05:00 PM

Sign Hakim, start Parker/Kennison, work Hakim in the slot and make Boerighter and Thorpe the 4th and 5th.

I agree. It would make me alot more comfortable in terms of depth.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing both Az and FredEx, but I'm sure alot of folks are more familiar with Mitchell than I am.

HemiEd
06-07-2005, 05:08 PM

I do not hate him at all. I just think that is Dante Hall's job to be the little fast receiver. Roster position should be allocated for a player we drafted IMO. Touchdown Crap! I am really excited about him and hope we can keep him to develop. JMO

chop
06-07-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm for signing them all and let training camp sort it all out.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2005, 05:18 PM
I do not hate him at all. I just think that is Dante Hall's job to be the little fast receiver. Roster position should be allocated for a player we drafted IMO. Touchdown Crap! I am really excited about him and hope we can keep him to develop. JMO

I disagree about roster position. The players we drafted will still have a roster spot.

Hakim here for one year won't stunt the growth of Thorpe.

Dante should be our return man and used to exploit matchups. He's not a true slot receiver. I'd be much more comfortable having Hakim at 3 and letting Dante do what he does best, returning kicks all the time and being put in the game for matchups.

HemiEd
06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I disagree about roster position. The players we drafted will still have a roster spot.

Hakim here for one year won't stunt the growth of Thorpe.

Dante should be our return man and used to exploit matchups. He's not a true slot receiver. I'd be much more comfortable having Hakim at 3 and letting Dante do what he does best, returning kicks all the time and being put in the game for matchups.

You make very good points. If we have the roster room and do not have to discard our future players, I would be all for it. I reflect on Dante Hall having to make the team as a receiver, that is what I am basing my thoughts on. If we could keep him just as a return man, that would be great.
Could we really keep all of these guys without exposing them to other teams picking them up? (practice squad)

CoMoChief
06-07-2005, 05:30 PM
I say we need to look at a CB or DT/DE before we go with WR. Im okay with Parker, Kennison, Bo, Hall, Thorpe, Smith, Wilson at WR position.

We still need to go with defense people. Were gonna have so many weapons and different packages on offense thats gonna give defenses hell all game long, we dont need another WR.

FloridaMan88
06-07-2005, 05:30 PM

I agree. As long as they can sign Hakim for a reasonable price there is zero risk signing him since its not like he has any baggage or anything like FredEx has.

The Bad Guy
06-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I say we need to look at a CB or DT/DE before we go with WR. Im okay with Parker, Kennison, Bo, Hall, Thorpe, Smith, Wilson at WR position.

We still need to go with defense people. Were gonna have so many weapons and different packages on offense thats gonna give defenses hell all game long, we dont need another WR.

We've added 6 new starters potentially on defense.

We need a corner. We are done upgrading DE. We have Hicks, Allen, Hall, Browning, Wilkerson there. They aren't sexy, but everyone but Hicks can hold their own.

You mean to tell me you are comfortable with Parker at receiver when he has a total of 9 catches?

That's absolutely ridiculous.

We do need another receiver. We need insurance there. We have none. We can't depend on Boe to be healthy, Thorpe is a rookie and Dante should be used in matchup situations.

JimNasium
06-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Also it sounded like Shields is kind of leading Vermeil down the wrong path.
So you trust his conversation with a reporter more than his conversations with his coach? :shake:

TRR
06-07-2005, 06:22 PM
So you trust his conversation with a reporter more than his conversations with his coach? :shake:

Well considering DV said Shields has never said anything to him other than he is planning on playing....yes.

JimNasium
06-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Well considering DV said Shields has never said anything to him other than he is planning on playing....yes.
I personally think that Will is having a little fun with the media.

|Zach|
06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I am not sure what is nuttier...thinking what is said to the media is what is said behind closed doors or thinking it would be better for the team and its operations if all team dealings were tansparent to the media and fans.

Spicy McHaggis
06-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Yeah D is nice but resting on our laurels for either side of the ball is a mistake. Why not bring in Hakim for the vet min? If Parker wins the job across from Kennison then our lineup is better off with Hakim running the slot. Let Hall return punts and hopefully Bo will be back and Cro will progress.

On another note I'm glad to hear they had a really positive report on Fujita. Too bad about Barber though.

Logical
06-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Q: Let’s say they are just going to take the veteran minimum is that going to be a toss up between Az Hakim and Freddie Mitchell?

VERMEIL: “We can take both.”

Q: You would consider signing both?

VERMEIL: “You can never have too many good football players. I learned that a long time ago. Competition makes other people better as well. Plus, Az Hakim knows the offense, he could run it today.”

NOOOOooooooooo

rocks
06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm glad Maz is back at full speed, but full speed for Maz is not very fast. Even before the injury... If we could just get Maz into KM body, he would be wiping people out!

jspchief
06-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I am not sure what is nuttier...thinking what is said to the media is what is said behind closed doors or thinking it would be better for the team and its operations if all team dealings were tansparent to the media and fans.I assume you're referring to Shields. If not disregard this...

Why does this have to be a mystery? What's the point of misleading or misdirecting in this scenario? Just come out and say what you're going to do, andd if you're undecided, say so. I realize the only people that have to have the facts are Will and the team, but I don't see what's so tough about shooting straight with the fans on this situation.

KCJake
06-07-2005, 09:23 PM

Gold Star!!!! That paragraph right there, is right on the money. Every time I see a post hating on Hakim, that above paragraph runs through my mind. I've just been too lazy to post it.

Wallcrawler
06-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Yeah, Az Hakim could come in and do at least what Morton did for us, I have no doubt. Plus he's faster.

Dante Hall is so great at his special teams trade that we really dont need to be risking him getting beaten up by putting him in at wide receiver.

He gets the offense such great starting field position, losing him to an injury playing wide receiver would be really bad. I dont know of anyone who didnt cringe when Lynch put that monster shot on Dante in the opener this past season.

Bringing in noone at all would be foolish. I want to see Samie Parker succeed as much as anyone else, and saw flashes of great playmaking ability that he has, but there needs to be someone to fall back on in case he takes longer to develop as a starter than expected.

Id rather see Hakim play for the Chiefs than Mitchell, but Mitchell has shown that he can make big plays in big games during his time in Philadelphia, especially in the playoff games.

J Diddy
06-08-2005, 02:16 AM
At this point, I don't care if a pez dispenser is lined up across from Kennison. As long as it catches the ball when it's thrown to.

htismaqe
06-08-2005, 07:33 AM

That's why Dick Vermeil is known as an offensive-minded football coach.

Everything Vermeil said about Mitchell is 100% true. The guy is athletic and very fast.

He's just got a 10-cent head. And sure enough, that's EXACTLY what Vermeil said.

morphius
06-08-2005, 08:01 AM

My issue with him is all I can remember about the guy is that he is fast and can't hang onto a damn ball, whether he was receiving or returning it. We already have Kennison out there to fumble away the long plays, so that spot is filled.