PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Dayze
06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
I drive a Wrangler, so performing this would be easy given the height of the vehicle. I used to do my own on previous vehicles with auto-trans, but of late I...

A. No longer have the drip pan
B. (and more importantly) don't really feel like jacking with it.

I'm going to Bennett Springs next weekend, and want to cover my 'due diligence' if you will.

Anyone knwo what the current going rate is for someone to do this, etc?
Like I said, I could do it if it turns out to be too much $$ given how simple it it.....but I just don't have the time/desire.

|Zach|
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Sounds romantic.

HemiEd
06-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I have never paid anyone to do this. Does the gearbox have a drain plug?Why are you changing it? How many miles on the Jeep?

Bob Dole
06-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Never bothered to change it in a manual.

KCWolfman
06-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Check the blinker fluid while you are at it.

KCChiefsMan
06-07-2005, 05:18 PM
if it's a newer vehicle I wouldn't be surprised if they made it really difficult to do. I used to do that and all kinds of other stuff on my old Toyota '86 and now I can't even change the oil on my car because you just can't reach the plug on the bottom and I'm not jacking it up. I think they design new cars just so you must go to a place to get it fixed. Like for example, my transmission fluid requires a "special" Pontiac tool to get the cap off.

Phobia
06-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Check the blinker fluid while you are at it.

Heh. Suckers.

Bwana
06-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Heh. Suckers.

What? If you let that go, the next thing you know it will take out the muffler bearings and you're in a world of hurt. :shake:

HemiEd
06-07-2005, 05:42 PM
What? If you let that go, the next thing you know it will take out the muffler bearings and you're in a world of hurt. :shake:

I thought those Jeeps had "full race" muffler bearings, if so they should be fine.

Bwana
06-07-2005, 06:28 PM
I thought those Jeeps had "full race" muffler bearings, if so they should be fine.

Yes they do, trubo charged at that in most models. PBJ

Dayze
06-07-2005, 07:18 PM
ok ok ok.....so I'm not a walking Chilton's manual. ROFL Never owned vehicle with a manual transmission... :mad:

So I'll continue with my ignorant line of questioning...fully anticipating 'high performance anti-freeze', "left handed wrench' comments. : :p

But seriously...so is there no need to perform such a task on a car with a manual transmission?

Phobia
06-07-2005, 07:20 PM
But seriously...so is there no need to perform such a task on a car with a manual transmission?

Don't toy with us, Mr. Goodwrench.

Dayze
06-07-2005, 07:21 PM
....doesn't leave much time for 'Mrs. Goodwrench', now does it?

Bwana
06-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Year....miles on vehicle?

Dayze
06-07-2005, 07:25 PM
2002 - 38K miles

Bwana
06-07-2005, 07:29 PM
2002 - 38K miles

Unless it looks like road tar, don't waste your time. If it is getting really brown, it wouldn't hurt. The fluid should still be fine with those miles. You should be good to go. :thumb:

Bwana
06-07-2005, 07:30 PM
So I'll continue with my ignorant line of questioning...fully anticipating 'high performance anti-freeze', "left handed wrench' comments. : :p

ROFL rep

Dayze
06-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Good deal; thanks. :thumb: Everything appears fine.....just didn't know if there was a 'rule of thumb' for the stuff.

By the way, for what it's worth....
My tires are staggered spectrum; the grip is amazing.

Skip Towne
06-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Unless it looks like road tar, don't waste your time. If it is getting really brown, it wouldn't hurt. The fluid should still be fine with those miles. You should be good to go. :thumb:
What type of fluid do standard transmissions use now days? In the olden days it was just 90 weight gear oil, same as the rear end.

Bwana
06-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Good deal; thanks. :thumb: Everything appears fine.....just didn't know if there was a 'rule of thumb' for the stuff.

By the way, for what it's worth....
My tires are staggered spectrum; the grip is amazing.

Unless you are doing a lot of off roading and getting a bunch of crap in there, you should be go to go for at least 50K. Just keep an eye on the level and color.

Kerberos
06-07-2005, 07:43 PM
2002 - 38K miles

Auto trans filter and fluid change is around $75 here in JC KS.

I would think you could get trans and gearbox change of fluid for around the same price or less maybe?

If I were doing it I would consider changing over to synthetic fluids. Better gas mileage and less wear on your parts. Amsoil is my personal preference. I use synthetic motor oil, synthetic trans fluid in trans and transfer case,synthetic power steering fluid, and synthetic axle oils.

94 Suburban has 225K on it with original motor, trans, etc etc. and it runs like it did when I bought it.

I know the newer transfer cases are using ATF in them instead of oil... manual transmissions ??? I guess you would have to refer to the owners manual.

Change to Amsoil synthetics and change your motor oil once a year or every 25K.

JUST IMO.

:)