PDA

View Full Version : Marty Schottenheimer

jspchief
06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
NFL network right now. It's a show about Marty. Lots of good Chiefs clips.

jspchief
06-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Sh*t. Nevermind, it's over.

milkman
06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Sh*t. Nevermind, it's over.

That was fast.
Musta been clips from all his playoff wins, huh? :rolleyes:

jspchief
06-07-2005, 10:03 PM
They are re-airing it right now for those who care.

Wallcrawler
06-08-2005, 01:26 AM
It was pretty interesting.

I loved the Raiders part of the show. Marty was something like 18-3 against the Raiders, and he said something that was hilarious, but it was also true about them.

"If there was one thing that the team believed, just stay close. Just stay close, and they will find a way to screw it up."

And then they show clips of the Raiders out in front in a few games, and just making the most boneheaded plays ever, and the Chiefs pulling out the win.

Priceless.

jspchief
06-08-2005, 06:59 AM
It was pretty interesting.

I loved the Raiders part of the show. Marty was something like 18-3 against the Raiders, and he said something that was hilarious, but it was also true about them.

"If there was one thing that the team believed, just stay close. Just stay close, and they will find a way to screw it up."

And then they show clips of the Raiders out in front in a few games, and just making the most boneheaded plays ever, and the Chiefs pulling out the win.

Priceless.I thought it was a good show. I know a lot of guys hate on Marty for his play calling in the play-offs, but I can't ignore the fact that he gave us a great era in Chiefs football. If he wasn't a division rival, I'd be rooting for his success.

Mile High Mania
06-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Watching it now... the part where Marty is talking about "The Drive" and the music playing in the background is classic.

Mile High Mania
06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Ahhhhh, now they're talking about "The Fumble".... brings a tear to my eye.

KCTitus
06-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Those were his Cleveland days...why would we care?

shaneo69
06-08-2005, 12:46 PM

Are you crying because you can't help but remember the week after "The Fumble" when they lost 42-10 in the Super Bowl?

Mile High Mania
06-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Those were his Cleveland days...why would we care?

I didn't think you would care... the subject of this thread was just Marty, not Marty and KC.

Mile High Mania
06-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Are you crying because you can't help but remember the week after "The Fumble" when they lost 42-10 in the Super Bowl?

You cut me deep, Shrek.

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 12:50 PM
That was fast.
Musta been clips from all his playoff wins, huh? :rolleyes:
ROFL

KCTitus
06-08-2005, 12:51 PM
I didn't think you would care... the subject of this thread was just Marty, not Marty and KC.

verywell...

andoman
06-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Didn't Marty promise at some point to tell why he disliked the Raiders so much? Did I miss it?

Deberg_1990
06-08-2005, 07:11 PM

and this is exactly why Marty can NEVER win the big one. He expects his teams to just "keep it close" Well guess what Marty, the teams you play in the playoffs DONT make boneheaded mistakes like the Raiders always did. Playoffs teams are all solid. You cant just expect to play things close to the vest and pull it out in the end. It aint gonna happen.

Rausch
06-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Didn't Marty promise at some point to tell why he disliked the Raiders so much? Did I miss it?

Yes, you did...

Wallcrawler
06-09-2005, 01:38 AM
The only thing I saw Marty say about the Raiders was that he felt that they always tried to intimidate you on the field, and he told his team that they may lose, but they would not be intimidated by the Raiders, and that they were going to go out and hit them in the mouth.

I dont know if that was it though. I kinda find it hard to believe that he held such animosity towards that organization simply because they tried intimidation on gameday.

I think there is something else, and he just didnt say what it was.

Rausch
06-09-2005, 01:44 AM
The only thing I saw Marty say about the Raiders was that he felt that they always tried to intimidate you on the field, and he told his team that they may lose, but they would not be intimidated by the Raiders, and that they were going to go out and hit them in the mouth.

I dont know if that was it though. I kinda find it hard to believe that he held such animosity towards that organization simply because they tried intimidation on gameday.

I think there is something else, and he just didnt say what it was.

Marty stated why he hated the Raiders, on ESPN, when he was a talking head.

He said that he told his players that "if you can just keep fighting and stay close until the 4th quarter they'll give up. The Radiers have no heart. They'll fold. They always do."

Then he went on about how they had no class and were dirty mother****ers.

And that they brought small animals into the lockerroom for sexual gratification. And they urinated on an American flag once. And that Howie Long had a love child with Vanessa Williams, but they gave it up for adoption when they found out he was color blind.

Ok, the last paragraph I made up...

andoman
06-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Marty stated why he hated the Raiders, on ESPN, when he was a talking head.

He said that he told his players that "if you can just keep fighting and stay close until the 4th quarter they'll give up. The Radiers have no heart. They'll fold. They always do."

Then he went on about how they had no class and were dirty mother****ers.

And that they brought small animals into the lockerroom for sexual gratification. And they urinated on an American flag once. And that Howie Long had a love child with Vanessa Williams, but they gave it up for adoption when they found out he was color blind.

Ok, the last paragraph I made up...

I was expecting something a bit more personal. I think its a given that pretty much the whole league feels that way about them.

keg in kc
06-09-2005, 05:08 PM
If it's a show about Marty, it should be great for about 20 minutes, but then end abruptly, leaving you wishing for more, empty and angry.

Mile High Mania
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
If it's a show about Marty, it should be great for about 20 minutes, but then end abruptly, leaving you wishing for more, empty and angry.

I know there was a good 15 minute span that made me smile... then I thought that a lot of Browns' fans were likely crying. Then, they showed some old "playoff disappointment" footage. I figured some other fans were not happy.

It was cool to hear him say something to the affect of "If there's one QB you want to win one game, it's John" then they hit the 1986 AFC Title game footage.

I thought John should have asked Marty to do his HOF induction speech.

Wallcrawler
06-09-2005, 07:08 PM
I kinda felt bad for Marty when they showed all of his playoff losses. I dont know how many of them were decided because of made or missed field goals, but it was a lot.

Yet another part of me thinks that he deserved every last bit of agony for changing his playcalling to the conservative BS that he always fell back on once his team made the postseason. He never stuck with what got his teams there in the first place, and then lost a lot of close games.

It sure seems that Marty is cursed when it comes to kickers in the playoffs though. I only remember ONE game winning field goal in the playoffs during Marty's time with the Chiefs, and that was the Wildcard game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Arrowhead that went into OT, and Nick Lowery kicked the game winner.

J Diddy
06-09-2005, 07:10 PM
I kinda felt bad for Marty when they showed all of his playoff losses. I dont know how many of them were decided because of made or missed field goals, but it was a lot.

Yet another part of me thinks that he deserved every last bit of agony for changing his playcalling to the conservative BS that he always fell back on once his team made the postseason. He never stuck with what got his teams there in the first place, and then lost a lot of close games.

It sure seems that Marty is cursed when it comes to kickers in the playoffs though. I only remember ONE game winning field goal in the playoffs during Marty's time with the Chiefs, and that was the Wildcard game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Arrowhead that went into OT, and Nick Lowery kicked the game winner.

That's the problem, he didn't change his playcalling. Same old conservative bit. Grind it out stay close and the d will win it. Too many good teams to try to stay close and grind it out.

andoman
06-09-2005, 07:11 PM

Only playoff game I've ever been to. Montana magic baby!

Didn't Lowery miss one in regulation?

Mile High Mania
06-09-2005, 07:50 PM
It sure seems that Marty is cursed when it comes to kickers in the playoffs though.

Marty is just like Dan Reeves .. minus the Superbowl beatings... play conservative until you have to do something to win. When you play like that a FG almost always decides the game.

Back in the Reeves' era in Denver, I can't count how many times I watch the likes of Treadwell wander out there for a game winner. Many of Elway's comebacks were done thanks to them getting close enough to kick for 3.

Reeves, like Marty, didn't want to go for broke and do something offensively to cost them the game... now, they didn't do this all the time and you can't really knock them much when you look at their winning percentage, but damn... playing conservative sure does come back to bite at the worst time.