PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs WR Poll

Chiefnj
06-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Which do you prefer, see poll.

NJ Chief Fan
06-07-2005, 09:49 PM
lol im getting more worried about our wr options then i am about our d...is this a good thing?

TRR
06-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Comparing Morton and Hakim's numbers over the past 3 seasons....they are relatively close.

Over the past three seasons:

Az Hakim has 1,523 receiving yards and 10 TD's. Hakim also has 200+ return yards and a TD. All while starting 12 less games than Morton did.

Johnnie Morton has 1,932 receiving yards and 8 TD's.

Pretty close numbers if you ask me.

Mecca
06-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Well I'm gonna change my stance a little and go with Az Hakim since that's the best option for this year. He also brings the speed that the position requires in this offense.

I wouldn't worry about his height the change in rules makes smaller faster Wr's very effective now.

buddha
06-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Anybody who thinks Freddie Mitchell is preferable to anybody just hasn't been paying attention! He is the William Bartee of wide receivers talent wise, and much more mouthy!

http://media.phillyburbs.com/2003/08/06/0806fmitchell.jpg

TRR
06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I think KC will sign a WR very soon. I don't think they will wait it out to see if Koren Robinson gets out of his legal difficulty, or if Rod Gardner gets released. I think the choice is between Hakim and Mitchell. There's no way they sign both.

You would almost have to think Hakim would be the favorite, but he does have a couple of offers on the table, and he won't be getting much more than vets minimum in KC. However, DV really seemed to like Freddie Mitchell, and Mitchell is the younger of the two. Maybe DV wants to bring some attitude to his WR corp?

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Rausch
06-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Az Hakim doesn't have the overall talent or ability of the other two.

What he does have is speed and about a 90% knowledge of our system. Having that knowledge means the only thing he has to worry about competing for a spot is his own ability. No huge learning curve or complaining about his X/Y/Z spot.

He can come in immediately and play. He also won't demand to be the man, huge numbers, or carry a big mouth with him.

In short I don't think he's the best WR but I think he's the best fit by far...

AirForceChief
06-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Anybody who thinks Freddie Mitchell is preferable to anybody just hasn't been paying attention! He is the William Bartee of wide receivers talent wise, and much more mouthy!

I beg to differ, there was this one time, in Band Camp, I saw Mitchell's neck actually swivel and turn back...Bartee has no such ability.

ChiefsGirl
06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Those 3 choices suck. I'd rather take my chances with Parker over those losers.

TRR
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Az Hakim doesn't have the overall talent or ability of the other two.

What he does have is speed and about a 90% knowledge of our system. Having that knowledge means the only thing he has to worry about competing for a spot is his own ability. No huge learning curve or complaining about his X/Y/Z spot.

He can come in immediately and play. He also won't demand to be the man, huge numbers, or carry a big mouth with him.

In short I don't think he's the best WR but I think he's the best fit by far...

Az Hakim has put up twice the numbers Mitchell has in the last 3 seasons.

I don't know how anyone can say, "I'd rather let Parker have the starting job." After playing in only 4 NFL games, and never having a 100 yard receiving game, KC is now going to ask him to start 16 games, and be able to do what Morton did? I think that's asking a little too much.

Bring in a vet and let him compete.

wildcat09
06-07-2005, 11:24 PM
i would just feel a whole lot better with Hakim than freddy. i would rather kick freddy in the face with a golf shoe.

Tribal Warfare
06-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Peter Warrick

wildcat09
06-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Peter Warrick

i like the way you think :thumb:

Wallcrawler
06-08-2005, 01:40 AM
Out of the options given, I like Hakim.

I like Hakim because he is familiar with the system, and if for some reason Dante cant go as a returner, he can do that as well.

I like Parker, and I think he can take the starting role, but I would rather bring in Hakim than bring in noone at all.

Hakim's best seasons came while playing in this system as a slot receiver.

If Hakim can come in, compete, and earn a roster spot, I see no reason why they shouldnt get him. He already knows a good deal of the terminology and should be prepared to play much faster than someone who hasnt played in the system at all.

If he cant get it done, they can always cut him in camp.

Gaz
06-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Parker.

A distant, DISTANT second is Hakim, if he comes cheap, cheap, cheap.

Mitchell and Robinson are not worth considering.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wants to see the rookies play.

Otter
06-08-2005, 06:08 AM

:thumb:

huskerdooz
06-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Of all the WR's out on the market, the closest to a #1 is Robinson. That being said, he comes with enough baggage to have his own personal bellhop. If it is at all possible to get past that part of the equation, then it might be the best chance to grab a #1 real cheap. This of course is predicated on DV and AS being able to work their magic on another troubled soul.

Gaz
06-08-2005, 06:21 AM
No to Robinson. Just take a look at his legal history. He is a complete and utter waste, regardless of his talent level.

No.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not interested at any price.

KCWolfman
06-08-2005, 06:27 AM
No to Robinson. Just take a look at his legal history. He is a complete and utter waste, regardless of his talent level.

No.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not interested at any price.

I agree. We already had our Bam Morris. Our quota is filled for the next quarter century.

nmt1
06-08-2005, 06:46 AM
I've seen several on this board say that Vermiel is too stubborn to play young players and/or rookies and now we say we can't risk going with a young guy because he's only played four games. Hakim had a penchant for fumbling while with the Rams, Robinson is a criminal, and Mitchell is a total jerk. The coaching staff seems to be high on Parker and I say trust the coaches who run the best offense in the league.
That being said, they will probably sign a vet WR. I hope Parker beats him out.

ChiefsGirl
06-08-2005, 07:04 AM
I don't know how anyone can say, "I'd rather let Parker have the starting job." After playing in only 4 NFL games, and never having a 100 yard receiving game, KC is now going to ask him to start 16 games, and be able to do what Morton did? I think that's asking a little too much.

Let's see Freddie Mitchell in 16 games had 377 yards. That's a whopping 23.56 yards a game. Az Hakim had 533 yards in 14 games (38.07 ypg) and Robinson put up an astounding 44.41 ypg.

Parker had 137 yards in 4 games. That's 34.25 yards per game.

Is that really a drop off?

There's no need to sign someone JUST because they're veterans. We need to start relying on some of our younger players to step up, especially on offense where we are aging very quickly.

Radar Chief
06-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Parker.

A distant, DISTANT second is Hakim, if he comes cheap, cheap, cheap.

Mitchell and Robinson are not worth considering.

xoxo~
Gaz

While I’d love some speed on the opposite side of EK, I don’t want to waste the cap space on another Morton. If Az comes cheap enough, I could live with it but otherwise give some of our own a chance.

milkman
06-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Let's see Freddie Mitchell in 16 games had 377 yards. That's a whopping 23.56 yards a game. Az Hakim had 533 yards in 14 games (38.07 ypg) and Robinson put up an astounding 44.41 ypg.

There's no need to sign someone JUST because they're veterans. We need to start relying on some of our younger players to step up, especially on offense where we are aging very quickly.

:thumb:

patteeu
06-08-2005, 07:18 AM
I voted for Hakim because of his familiarity with the system, but I don't really have a strong opinion. If Mitchell can block, I might be willing to give him a shot to redeem himself in a new location. Robinson's off-field history and his one-step-away-from-a-season-long-suspension scare me.

Mr. Kotter
06-08-2005, 07:27 AM
... they will probably sign a vet WR. I hope Parker beats him out.

Yup. Zachtly my thought....uhhmmm-hmmmm.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-08-2005, 07:39 AM
I voted for Koren Robinson simply because I think his talent level is the highest, if of course he can get his poop in a group.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't sign any or them though. Like many others I hope that Samie Parker can be the man.

TRR
06-08-2005, 09:28 AM

At least he has 16 games of experience. I was referring more to you calling Az Hakim a scrub. Hakim, who basically put up the same numbers as Morton has the last 3 seasons. I could care less about Mitchell.

Az Hakim has had 1 fumble in the last three years.

ChiefsGirl
06-08-2005, 09:31 AM
At least he has 16 games of experience. I was referring more to you calling Az Hakim a scrub. Hakim, who basically put up the same numbers as Morton has the last 3 seasons. I could care less about Mitchell.

Az Hakim has had 1 fumble in the last three years.

Now is the best time to use our young recievers while we still have a lot of pro-bowl veterans around them.

I'm not going to be upset if we sign Hakim - I just don't think we need to. Now if Gardner or Warrick are released and we can get them for a reasonable price, I'm all for that. However, a Bengal friend of mine says that there is no way that Warrick will be released and who the hell knows what Gibbs and Snyder will do.

milkman
06-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I've seen several on this board say that Vermiel is too stubborn to play young players and/or rookies and now we say we can't risk going with a young guy because he's only played four games. Hakim had a penchant for fumbling while with the Rams, Robinson is a criminal, and Mitchell is a total jerk. The coaching staff seems to be high on Parker and I say trust the coaches who run the best offense in the league.
That being said, they will probably sign a vet WR. I hope Parker beats him out.

It is a rather amusing contradiction, isn't it.

I'm on the 'let the young guys develop' bandwagon.

Between Parker, Smith, Horn, McIntrye(sp), and a (hopefully) healthy Boe, someone will step up and replace the production of Morton, if not surpass it.

Someone else will also step up and provide better production as the slot receiver than we've had previously.

This is JMO, of course.

TRR
06-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Now is the best time to use our young recievers while we still have a lot of pro-bowl veterans around them.

I'm not going to be upset if we sign Hakim - I just don't think we need to. Now if Gardner or Warrick are released and we can get them for a reasonable price, I'm all for that. However, a Bengal friend of mine says that there is no way that Warrick will be released and who the hell knows what Gibbs and Snyder will do.

Who are these young WR's you speak of? Boerigter is 28 years old. Chris Horn will be 29 when the season starts. Az Hakim just turned 29. The only WR worth while is Samie Parker, and he will be given every opportunity to start regardless of who is signed. If Parker can't beat out Hakim or Mitchell, he doesn't deserve to start. I'm not sure who all these young WR's are. Crow Thorpe has looked terrible to date, and still is having trouble coming back from his injury.

Anyone else?

Wile_E_Coyote
06-08-2005, 09:43 AM
I think Mitchell is gonna happen if they can't re-sign Morton. Hakim is just trying to up the bidding visiting KC. Robinson looks like trouble

ChiefsGirl
06-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Who are these young WR's you speak of? Boerigter is 28 years old. Chris Horn will be 29 when the season starts. Az Hakim just turned 29. The only WR worth while is Samie Parker, and he will be given every opportunity to start regardless of who is signed. If Parker can't beat out Hakim or Mitchell, he doesn't deserve to start. I'm not sure who all these young WR's are. Crow Thorpe has looked terrible to date, and still is having trouble coming back from his injury.

Anyone else?

I guess I assumed Horn was younger. Whatever happened to Richard Smith? He looked promising for a while. Then he dropped a pass or two and he was on the practice squad.

Chiefnj
06-08-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm of the opinion that Johnnie Morton at 3 million is a better deal than Freddie Mitchell at $750,000.00.

TRR
06-08-2005, 09:49 AM
I guess I assumed Horn was younger. Whatever happened to Richard Smith? He looked promising for a while. Then he dropped a pass or two and he was on the practice squad.

Richard Smith and Jeris McIntyre are both young WR's, but I really don't want to see them get significant playing time. I haven't been impressed by either of them. Richard Smith is already hurt, and McIntyre finally produced in NFLE after being the 3rd or 4th best WR on his team.

There is no down side to Az Hakim. He is still decently young, knows the system, has speed that we don't have in the WR corp, and will only be brought in to compete.

TRR
06-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I think Mitchell is gonna happen if they can't re-sign Morton. Hakim is just trying to up the bidding visiting KC. Robinson looks like trouble

Hakim would never have visited Vermeil and Saunders just to drive up the price. If KC makes Hakim a fair offer, he will sign with the Red and Gold.

Johnnie Morton will never be a Chief again.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Hakim would never have visited Vermeil and Saunders just to drive up the price. If KC makes Hakim a fair offer, he will sign with the Red and Gold.

Johnnie Morton will never be a Chief again.
Q: Az Hakim is a few years removed when you had him in St. Louis judging from today’s workout is he the same player?

VERMEIL:”I expect him to be a better player. He had a good year this last year. He caught over 40 balls and did a good job. They drafted three first-round receivers and eventually someone has to go. I just love the kid. It’s great to see the kid and have dinner with him tonight. He has other opportunities. I have been selling him to (Arizona offensive coordinator) Keith Rowen for a month and half to or how long he has been free to other teams I have talked to about him. He still didn’t have a job and so I just brought him in here and talked to him about our situation. I know he can play and I don’t have any reservations about that.

Q: Did he give you any indications about what his wishes are?

VERMEIL: “Yeah but we sometimes don’t get what we wish.”

I read into that, that DV could just be helping out a former player. I have read or heard that the Saints have an offer on the table for Hakim

TRR
06-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I read into that, that DV could just be helping out a former player. I have read or heard that the Saints have an offer on the table for Hakim

That's reading into it quite a bit, but you could be right. I just don't think Vermeil would waste his time by bringing in Hakim if they weren't truly interested in him.

HC_Chief
06-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Hakim: midget.
Robinson: drops more balls than Elton John.
Mitchell: never-was with a big ego and alligator arms.

milkman
06-08-2005, 10:04 AM
That's reading into it quite a bit, but you could be right. I just don't think Vermeil would waste his time by bringing in Hakim if they weren't truly interested in him.

Hell, I doubt that Dick was the one who brought him in, given that he said in an interveiw about 3 weeks ago, or so, that we wouldn't be bringing him in.

It really looks like Carl has really taken charge of personel decisions, and is relying heavily on the opinions of Gun and Al.

I'm betting if Al, and maybe Charlie Joiner, tell Carl that they'd really like to have Hakim (or Freddie Mitchell), then Carl wiil make a strong push to get him.

TRR
06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Hakim: midget.

I'm not sure why DV listed him at 5'9. Az Hakim is 5'10. The same height as Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Troy Brown, and Wayne Chrebet. He's just an inch shorter than Peerless Price or Peter Warrick.

HC_Chief
06-08-2005, 10:07 AM
It really looks like Carl has really taken charge of personel decisions, and is relying heavily on the opinions of Gun and Al.

I hope you're right... Vermeil is clueless/senile/blinded by man-crushes.

HC_Chief
06-08-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure why DV listed him at 5'9. Az Hakim is 5'10. The same height as Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Troy Brown, and Wayne Chrebet. He's just an inch shorter than Peerless Price or Peter Warrick.

He's tiny. Ever seen him in person? He's about the same size as Dante.

TRR
06-08-2005, 10:08 AM
He's tiny. Ever seen him in person? He's about the same size as Dante.

Two inches taller than Hall. I've seen both in person as well.

milkman
06-08-2005, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=HC_Chief]Hakim: midget.[Quote]

Geez, and you would never expect teams to, uhhh, embellish a little.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-08-2005, 10:12 AM
610am was trying to give the impression that Peterson likes Mitchell. Of course this is their opinion of Peterson's opinion.
I can see CP seeing the $$$ in signing Mitchell so he can also pickup a cheap CB

TRR
06-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Geez, and you would never expect teams to, uhhh, embellish a little.

Just stating a fact. Hakim is listed as 5'10. So is Santana Moss. If they are both 5'9 than so be it. However, just because Hakim isn't 6'2 doesn't mean he can't get it done.

milkman
06-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Just stating a fact. Hakim is listed as 5'10. So is Santana Moss. If they are both 5'9 than so be it. However, just because Hakim isn't 6'2 doesn't mean he can't get it done.

I don't doubt that he can get it done, especially as a slot receiver.

I just don't feel that it's necessay to add him to the roster.

That being said, It wouldn't bother me if he were added.

Hell, sign him, and let the competition begin!

huskerdooz
06-08-2005, 10:59 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11839273.htm

Posted on Wed, Jun. 08, 2005

Money matters in receiver call

By ELIZABETH MERRILL The Kansas City Star

Dick Vermeil found Az-Zahir Hakim on the sideline Tuesday, wrapped him in a bear hug, then said he loves the unemployed receiver who used to play for him in St. Louis.

Done deal, right?

Not quite. As the Chiefs completed their offseason workout Tuesday, Vermeil floated the possibility that they may sign both Hakim and Freddie Mitchell if both went for the league minimum. He also said they might not sign either one.

Hakim worked out for the Chiefs shortly after Tuesday's practice, then made plans to join Vermeil for dinner. It seems Vermeil and Co. like both Hakim and Mitchell, and when Vermeil was asked who they would pick if both receivers went cheap, he said, “Why not both?

“You can never have too many good football players,” Vermeil said. “I learned that a long time ago. Competition makes other people better as well. Plus, Az knows the offense. He could run it today.”

Hakim was cut from Detroit in April after the Lions drafted USC's Mike Williams and signed free-agent receiver Kevin Johnson. Mitchell was let go at Philadelphia two weeks later — he was asked not to attend the Eagles' minicamp after he had harsh words for quarterback Donovan McNabb and never lived up to his first-round draft expectations.

Mitchell worked out for the Chiefs on Monday. Vermeil talked to Eagles coach Andy Reid about him on Tuesday morning.

“Andy was very positive about the young man,” Vermeil said.

“I was impressed with (Mitchell). I think everyone was really impressed with him and was really pleased with what Andy Reid said about him.”

Vermeil said the decision ultimately will come down to money.

“It always does,” he said.

He also said he hasn't been in contact with former Patriots cornerback Ty Law, who's still on the market and has expressed interest in Kansas City.

Vermeil said salary-cap concerns make Law a “much more difficult situation.”

• SHIELDS PRACTICES: For the first time since offseason workouts started last month, veteran guard Will Shields practiced Tuesday, temporarily squashing retirement speculation.

Shields told Vermeil in April that he would be back for 2005, but he reversed direction Monday, telling reporters that it's not a given he'll play and that he's still contemplating retirement. When told of Shields' comments later in the day, Vermeil said he still expected the 10-time Pro Bowler to return.

When asked about Shields' status again Tuesday, Vermeil said: “I'm not going to get into that. He's never said that to me. All I'm going to do is assume that he's going to play. Because the timing would be very poor for him to all of the sudden decide he wasn't.”

Shields, who has battled arthritic knees, will work out sparingly during offseason practices. Vermeil said Shields wants to pace himself so he'll be ready for training camp.

• MASLOWSKI PROGRESS: Vermeil said linebacker Mike Maslowski is running at full speed but has yet to be cleared to practice. Maslowski has missed a season and a half because of knee ailments. Vermeil said he also received a good report on injured linebacker Scott Fujita, who's been out because of a ankle injury. “The one I am most concerned about is (linebacker) Shawn Barber,” Vermeil said. “He could enter camp physically unable to perform.”

• NO WATERS: Another day passed without Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters. Speculation has swirled that Waters might be holding out for a new contract. Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said last week that Waters is in Texas spending time with his family. Vermeil said Tuesday that he still hasn't talked to Waters.

Thig Lyfe
06-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Develop. We have the talent; all they need is experience.

huskerdooz
06-08-2005, 11:03 AM
[url]
He also said he hasn't been in contact with former Patriots cornerback Ty Law, who's still on the market and has expressed interest in Kansas City.

Vermeil said salary-cap concerns make Law a “much more difficult situation.”

IMO this little snippet was the most intriguing in the entire story. Oh to dream a little dream.