PDA

View Full Version : Need advice. My fuggin' toilet is runnin'

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 09:51 AM
My half bathroom toliet will not stop running. When flushed, it fills to top and then slowly drains, then fills back up. This happens about every 8 minutes. Is it the ball cock or the tank flap? The damn toilet is only 2 yrs old. Need some help.

Katipan
06-08-2005, 09:52 AM
it's the flapper thingy.

bend the arm doo hickey down

or get a screw driver and tighten the screw where the arm hits the thingy that pours out the water.

i like the bending method, but my husband yells at me.

Phobia
06-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Probably the flap, but it could be something simple like the chain getting stuck under the flap or a bad gasket.

Edubs
I had a similar problem where my toilet always ran. I jacked with the ball for a long as time defore I got it right. The water was not going up and down......just always running.

ptlyon

Cuz it hurts, Babe

MOhillbilly
or go buy a replacement at Lowes for 5 bucks.
super easy.

Hoover
06-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I put in a whole new unit in my bathroom. Its just one tall peice, I can't remember what it is called

Donger
My half bathroom toliet will not stop running. When flushed, it fills to top and then slowly drains, then fills back up. This happens about every 8 minutes. Is it the ball cock or the tank flap? The damn toilet is only 2 yrs old. Need some help.

Replace the flapper. I recommend the Korky flappers (Home Depot). I replaced all the flappers in my house with them.

Saulbadguy
My half bathroom toliet will not stop running.
Well..you better catch it!

ptlyon
06-08-2005, 09:55 AM
I the chain on the flapper tight or does it have slack in it? If it is tight when the flapper is down it might be holding the flapper up. If there is too much slack, the excess chain may be going up under the flapper when it comes down creating the leak.

ptlyon
06-08-2005, 09:56 AM
I put in a whole new unit in my bathroom. Its just one tall peice, I can't remember what it is called

It's called a urinal

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Probably the flap, but it could be something simple like the chain getting stuck under the flap or a bad gasket.
I checked the chain, definately not that. Any idea how long the flaps typically last? 2-3yrs then need replaced?

David.
06-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Well..you better catch it!

GODDAMNIT THAT WAS MY JOKE YOU ASSHOLE

only reason i clicked this thread :(

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
I the chain on the flapper tight or does it have slack in it? If it is tight when the flapper is down it might be holding the flapper up. If there is too much slack, the excess chain may be going up under the flapper when it comes down creating the leak.
I think the tightness/slack is fine, but will check again tonight. Thanks.

Lzen
06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Need advice. My fuggin' toilet is runnin'

I would recommend that you bolt that thing down so it can't get away.

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I would reccomend that you bolt that thing down so it can't get away.
ROFL

Baby Lee
06-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Possibilities

chain or some impediment has slid under the flap, stopping it from sealing.
seal gone bad on flap.
float armature out of whack.
seals in mechanism degraded.

If it's the chain/impediment or the armature, it's an easy fix with no new products.
If it's the gaskets/seals, a new unit is cheap and easy to install.

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Possibilities

chain or some impediment has slid under the flap, stopping it from sealing.
seal gone bad on flap.
float armature out of whack.
seals in mechanism degraded.

If it's the chain/impediment or the armature, it's an easy fix with no no products.
If it's the gaskets/seals, a new unit is cheap and easy to install.
Thanks. most of the responses point towards the flap, so I will try that.

Iowanian
06-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Go down to the local parts store and buy a jug of top notch stopleak for tires...........squirt the entire Jug into the tank.

I don't know that it will help your problem, but I wonder what it would do...be sure to return back.

If only there were a place for the planet handyman questions..............

Fire Me Boy!
06-08-2005, 10:02 AM

Heh... ball cock. Heh...

Kerberos
06-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Heh....

Just got done remodeling my bathroom... got a DELUXE Kohler toilet ... wife wouldn't let me get the one I wanted that had a GUARANTEE that it would flush 2dozen golf balls in 1 flush.

But here is a pic of my NEW baby.

:D

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Heh....

Just got done remodeling my bathroom... got a DELUXE Kohler toilet ... wife wouldn't let me get the one I wanted that had a GUARANTEE that it would flush 2dozen golf balls in 1 flush.

That looks exactly like mine. Got mine at Lowe's.

ptlyon
06-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Heh....

I got one too - tried it - it doesn't work so don't try it.

milkman
06-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Heh....

Well, this isn't one of those "thread is worthless without pics" type threads.

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 10:17 AM
I got one too - tried it - it doesn't work so don't try it.
So you are still using an outhouse?

Kerberos
06-08-2005, 10:17 AM
That looks exactly like mine. Got mine at Lowe's.

Hey man ... So did I !!!!

Did you happen to see the toilet that had the big sticker board on it that said :

"Throw your Plunger Away"

And gauranteed to flush 2 dozen golf balls in 1 flush???

That was a manly mans toilet ... but it was also like $275 and my wife shot me down and said NO. :( :cuss:

That toilet would have been put to a good test I can tell you.

Kerberos
06-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Well, this isn't one of those "thread is worthless without pics" type threads.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

ptlyon
06-08-2005, 10:18 AM
So you are still using an outhouse?
Now I am

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 10:19 AM

Did you happen to see the toilet that had the big sticker board on it that said :

That was a manly mans toilet ... but it was also like $275 and my wife shot me down and said NO. :( :cuss:

No, I did not see it. I'll look for it tonight though when I pick up a flap. 2 dozen golf balls? Wow, you could take the biggest chit (almost like having a baby) and the damn thing would still flush? I'll check it out.

Lzen
06-08-2005, 10:28 AM

Psshhhh. We saw one of those in Home Depot the other night. But I didn't see the big deal. I mean really, who poops golf ball size turds?

Skip Towne
06-08-2005, 10:30 AM
This should be named the "Al Bundy Thread".

milkman
06-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Psshhhh. We saw one of those in Home Depot the other night. But I didn't see the big deal. I mean really, who poops golf ball size turds?

My cat!

Phobia
06-08-2005, 10:39 AM

I plugged up toilets at LEAST once a week until I got the American Standard Champion. Haven't used a plunger since.

It's DEFINITELY worth the extra $100. DEFINITELY.

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 10:47 AM
I plugged up toilets at LEAST once a week
You have 2 arseholes?

chiefs4me
06-08-2005, 10:47 AM
I plugged up toilets at LEAST once a week until I got the American Standard Champion. Haven't used a plunger since.

Did you all know that you can flush more then one time when you are actually using the toliet....maybe it wouldn't be clogged up so much if you tried more then one flushing....:)

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Did you all know that you can flush more then one time when you are actually using the toliet....maybe it wouldn't be clogged up so much if you tried more then one flushing....:)
Courtesy flush? Nope.

Iowanian
06-08-2005, 10:49 AM
hahahahahahaha

threadwrecker....giving advice to men advice on how she uses her "destroylet" to get rid of that half ton of Peanut Bricks she's dropping in the throne...

hahahahahahahahahaa

Actually....I've used a "destroylet" before....Its a propane powered flame thrower put in some mountain cabins without septics......cremates those beauties when the lid drops. Roars like a dragon too.

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
hahahahahahaha

threadwrecker....giving advice to men advice on how she uses her "destroylet" to get rid of that half ton of Peanut Bricks she's dropping in the throne...

hahahahahahahahahaa
ROFL Holy chit! I about fell out of my seat!

Phobia
06-08-2005, 10:54 AM

No, I didn't realize that. One flush, and I retrieve the damned plunger. Wow, this is an eye opening experience for me. Double flushing? WTF? Who ever heard of such a thing?

jspchief
06-08-2005, 10:55 AM

.I'm still looking for the one that will flush a 12 pack of Tall-boys

Lzen
06-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Is this American Standard Champion the same toilet that Cliff was talking about?

KCTitus
06-08-2005, 11:05 AM
If the tank is draining, it's definately the flap...you should be able to replace that pretty easy. If not, I recommend replacing all of the internal hardware. You can get a kit for about 15 bucks that will replace all the internals.

Had to do that to all 3 of my bathrooms in a 10yr old house -- takes about 30 minutes to do.

Iowanian
06-08-2005, 11:07 AM
It could be as simple as shortening the chain a couple of links or bending the bar....if not....a replacement kit and 2 minutes.

Don't lick your fingers when you're done.

chiefs4me
06-08-2005, 11:07 AM
No, I didn't realize that. One flush, and I retrieve the damned plunger. Wow, this is an eye opening experience for me. Double flushing? WTF? Who ever heard of such a thing?

you all sound like you can only flush once...just trying to help although I don't know why.:)

Goapics1
06-08-2005, 11:08 AM
That's the best advice yet.

chiefs4me
06-08-2005, 11:09 AM
hahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahaa

Actually....I've used a "destroylet" before....Its a propane powered flame thrower put in some mountain cabins without septics......cremates those beauties when the lid drops. Roars like a dragon too.

You aren't even fun to read anymore...just plain ole boring and disgusting. Who told you that you were funny.....because killer...they lied to you.

Lzen
06-08-2005, 11:13 AM

I take it you know from experience. ROFL

Lzen
06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
you all sound like you can only flush once...just trying to help although I don't know why.:)

You don't understand. A toilet that only needs flushed once is like the Holy Grail to us guys. ;)

chiefs4me
06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
You don't understand. A toilet that only needs flushed once is like the Holy Grail to us guys. ;)

yea I wouldn't know anything about it since I live with my 3 sons and husband and have 7 nephews.....:)

Kerberos
06-08-2005, 11:25 AM

The Porcelin Throne is like where you would sit while drinking out of the HOLY GRAIL.

A good toilet to a man is like a clean bathroom to a woman. Ya just gotta have it !

Of course when I get done in the bathroom my wife either leaves that end of the house or makes me go back and light a match... :cuss:

I like leaving a stink bomb for her to walk in on ... nothing gives me more pleasure than her suffering a little from my foulness!

Phobia
06-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Is this American Standard Champion the same toilet that Cliff was talking about?

I dunno. It's a good toilet. I recommend them to all my customers and they're all very happy with them.

Chiefsrocker
06-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Take some food coloring (red works the best) and put in the tank where the weater fills. If you see red in the bowl, then the flapper is bad. If no red, then the fill valve leaks by. Probably a new flapper will fix it. About $15-20!

Inspector
06-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Heh....

What have you got against golf balls?

Plus they will be all difficult to retrieve.

Which reminds me, I really hate it when people throw their cigarette butts in the toilet. They get all soggy and are hard to light.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
06-08-2005, 11:47 PM
it's the flapper thingy.

bend the arm doo hickey down

or get a screw driver and tighten the screw where the arm hits the thingy that pours out the water.

The "flapper thingy"

the "arm doo hickey"

These are highly technical terms, I certainly hope you are a master plumber, certified and a member of a union if you are going to be giving such detailed and complicated advice. :p

Fairplay
06-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Heh....

Just got done remodeling my bathroom... got a DELUXE Kohler toilet ...

My folks are hilarious. They bought a new Kohler toilet a couple years ago. They leave the sticker on it for 6 months before they finally tore it off.

badgirl
06-09-2005, 03:57 AM
I'd say its the flap,maybe a slow leak, make sure the chain isn't hanging up under it also. Until you fix it I'd turn the water off to the toilet after you flush to keep it from running so much

I lived alone for a long time and never could afford plumbers so I had to learn to fix things myself, I even replaced 2 elements and a thermostate in my hot water heater once, and replaced the whole inside of the back of the toilet.

Stumppys kids get mad when I say something about the "commode" they say its not a commode its a toilet, I think of an outhouse when I hear the word toilet, I think it is a commode

Goapics1
06-09-2005, 05:32 AM
It was the flap! Cost less than $5. Chief Planet members are friggin' geniuses. Thanks for all the helpful hints.

CrazyHorse
06-09-2005, 06:38 AM
I'd say its the flap,maybe a slow leak, make sure the chain isn't hanging up under it also. Until you fix it I'd turn the water off to the toilet after you flush to keep it from running so much

I lived alone for a long time and never could afford plumbers so I had to learn to fix things myself, I even replaced 2 elements and a thermostate in my hot water heater once, and replaced the whole inside of the back of the toilet.

Stumppys kids get mad when I say something about the "commode" they say its not a commode its a toilet, I think of an outhouse when I hear the word toilet, I think it is a commode

Isn't it really called a crapper?

I believe the guy that invented it, his name was crapper.

mlyonsd
06-09-2005, 06:51 AM
Chief Planet members are friggin' geniuses. Thanks for all the helpful hints.

And just think, plumbing isn't what the planet is really known for.

Relationship advice is their real specialty. Just ask a question pertaining to your significant other and you'll really see what makes the planet tick during the off season.

Goapics1
06-09-2005, 06:54 AM
And just think, plumbing isn't what the planet is really known for.

Relationship advice is their real specialty. Just ask a question pertaining to your significant other and you'll really see what makes the planet tick during the off season.
ROFL Ah yes. I have seen several threads on relationship advice. Classics.