PDA

View Full Version : Connot earns ALL-NFEL Honors and Scanlon named NFLEL Defensive MVP

C-Mac
06-09-2005, 09:28 AM
SCANLON NAMED NFLEL DEFENSIVE MVP, CONNOT EARNS ALL-NFEL HONORS
Jun 09, 2005, 8:44:54 AM

The National Football League informed the Chiefs on Thursday that two players earned NFL Europe postseason honors. LB Rich Scanlon was named the NFLEL Defensive Most Valuable Player of the Year and earned first-team all-league honors for the Berlin Thunder. S Scott Connot was named first-team All-NFL Europe for his exploits for the Amsterdam Admirals.

Scanlon led the Thunder to a 7-3 regular season record and a berth in the World Bowl vs. Amsterdam. He started all 10 games for Berlin and led the league with a franchise single-season record 94 tackles (68 solo). The Syracuse product also added 3.0 sacks (-18.0 yards), five passes defensed, one interception, one forced fumble and five special teams tackles. Scanlon finished the season with 68 solo tackles, a figure that was higher than the total tackle tally of any other player in the league.

The Orangeburg, New York native was the only player to win the NFLEL Defensive Player of the Week Award twice this season. Scanlon won the award after recording nine tackles and 2.0 sacks at Cologne (5/8). He produced nine tackles and a sack (-5.0 yards) at Hamburg (5/22) to win his second honor.

Scanlon originally joined the Chiefs as a rookie free agent in 2004 and spent the first nine weeks of the season on the practice squad. He was promoted to the 53-man roster on November 10th and appeared in six games, registering five special teams tackles. He concluded his collegiate career at Syracuse with 277 tackles (178 solo) and 4.5 sacks.

Connot helped lead the Amsterdam Admirals to the World Bowl with a 6-4 record. He started all 10 games at safety for the club, leading the team with 66 tackles (57 solo), 10 passes defensed, two forced fumbles and seven special teams tackles. He tied for third in the league with four interceptions for 22 yards.

The South Dakota State native joined Kansas City as a rookie free agent in 2004, spending 12 weeks on the practice squad. Connot was promoted to the 53-man roster on December 9th and played in two games. He accumulated 234 tackles (142 solo) and eight interceptions as a three-year starter in college.

The Chiefs will have a league-high six players participating in World Bowl XIII on Saturday, June 11th at LTU Arena in Düsseldorf, Germany. Joining Connot on the Admirals squad for the World Bowl are WR John Booth, QB Casey Clausen, T Matt Miller and RB McKenzie Smith. Scanlon will represent Kansas City with Berlin.

Goapics1
06-09-2005, 09:29 AM
THANKS FOR STARTING THIS THREAD IN ALL CAPS.

jspchief
06-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Good for Rich. Congrats on the success. Let's hope it translates to the NFL.

C-Mac
06-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Sorry Bricks, its just this article was off the Chiefs site and mentions Connot also.

ROYC75
06-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Scanlon finished the season with 68 solo tackles, a figure that was higher than the total tackle tally of any other player in the league.

OK OK, he was a man among boys in that league.

C-Mac
06-09-2005, 09:32 AM
THANKS FOR STARTING THIS THREAD IN ALL CAPS.

I had just cut and pasted, but I corrected it just for you :)

teedubya
06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Im beginning to hate Rich Scanlon...

Goapics1
06-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I had just cut and pasted, but I corrected it just for you :)
I LIKED IT BETTER WITH ALL CAPS! :banghead:

ROYC75
06-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Uh, what is NFEL and NFLEL ? :Poke: :D

ROYC75
06-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Im beginning to hate Rich Scanlon...

:shake: Why ?

KChiefs1
06-09-2005, 10:06 AM
So does this mean Connot will be in the mix at the safety position?

ROYC75
06-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Why hate a player that could help the team. When it's in an area where we need help in ?

ROYC75
06-09-2005, 10:08 AM
So does this mean Connot will be in the mix at the safety position?

IMHO, Connot had a good chance until we got Knight and they moved Bartee back to safety, he will probally be another year on the PS unless we move Woods during TC .

teedubya
06-09-2005, 10:11 AM
:shake: Why ?

Do I really have to answer this?

shaneo69
06-09-2005, 10:13 AM
IMHO, Scanlon had a good chance until we got Bell and they drafted Boomer, he will probally be another year on the PS unless we move Maslowski during TC.

C-Mac
06-09-2005, 10:17 AM
The Chiefs will have a league-high six players participating in World Bowl XIII on Saturday, June 11th at LTU Arena in Düsseldorf, Germany. Joining Connot on the Admirals squad for the World Bowl are WR John Booth, QB Casey Clausen, T Matt Miller and RB McKenzie Smith. Scanlon will represent Kansas City with Berlin.

His full name is Jonathan McKenzie Smith and I guess depending on the weather, its Jonathan Smith or McKenzie Smith. I know he wore J. Smith on his jersey last year.
:shrug:

ROYC75
06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
IMHO, Scanlon had a good chance until we got Bell and they drafted Boomer, he will probally be another year on the PS unless we move Maslowski during TC.

Now why did I know that one was coming, I could hear it far away.

If they put Rich in thre PS, he won'r clear waivers,he will be picked up by some other team.

ROYC75
06-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Do I really have to answer this?

Why hate the player because he has a few fans that drive you nuts ? :Poke: :D

Mr. Laz
06-09-2005, 11:20 AM
it will be interesting to see how Connot's game translates to the NFL. He seems to be a natural at free safety.... which is a position of real need for us.

i'm still not convinced that Wesley will have an easy switch from SS to FS.

imo the key for Connot will be quickness ... he has the size, speed and apparently the smarts to play. But is he quick enough to do the same things in the nfl that he did in NFLE?

philfree
06-09-2005, 01:06 PM
To me this a great thing. I haven't given up on Mitchell or any of our other LBs and Ss but if these guys and make the transition and make a difference then I'm all for it.

PhilFree:arrow:

Rausch
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
To me this a great thing. I haven't given up on Mitchell or any of our other LBs and Ss but if these guys and make the transition and make a difference then I'm all for it.

Exactly.

Having depth tearing up NFLE is never a bad thing.

I'd prefer to watch Scanlong suck at MLB before watching Kawika do it two years in a row...

Pitt Gorilla
06-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I connot believe it!

ROYC75
06-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Exactly.

Having depth tearing up NFLE is never a bad thing.

I'd prefer to watch Scanlong suck at MLB before watching Kawika do it two years in a row...:spock: Ouch !

Lzen
06-09-2005, 03:03 PM

Agreed.

However, every time I hear the name Scott Connet, I think of all those big plays he would give up in last year's preseason games. :shake:

shaneo69
06-09-2005, 04:02 PM
With Connot and Scanlon really helping their cause in NFLE, it makes me wonder why more of our other young, inexperienced players didn't go over and play, like Richard Smith, Brett Williams, Kevin Sampson, Jimmy Wilkerson, Benny Sapp, etc.