PDA

View Full Version : Q&A Dick Vermeil June 9th...

TRR
06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Jun 09, 2005, 4:03:25 PM

Q: It was a “hat day” today with no helmets.

DICK VERMEIL: “Yeah, Jared Allen won the $50 bucks for the most original hat (bicycle helmet). But you know him: he’s the most original out there period, let alone with a hat.”ver10

Q: Did you like his whole get-up: the biker shorts and so on?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, but he had good competition from Eric Hicks and Larry Johnson with the Santa Claus cap. I just wanted to change things, but the trouble is all of a sudden we get someone hit in the eye and he’s going to have to have 15 stitches in the eyelid. But when you go with no helmets you take that chance.”

Q: That was Hodge, right?

VERMEIL: “Yes.”

Q: I heard you say that this was the best week of OTA’s. What makes this so much better than last week’s?

VERMEIL: “I think it’s the best week of OTA’s since I’ve been here. The focus and concentration, the tempo with which we’re working is good. They’re having fun, they’re not hurting each other but learning and working at a tempo that we can get better. The young kids are fitting in real well and the new guys are fitting in; it’s been a very good week.”

Q: Any news on Az Hakim or Freddie Mitchell?

VERMEIL: “They’re talking to Az Hakim’s agent. There is communication going on.”

Q: But you don’t know if there is going to be a deal?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know if the deal is being made. If they’re talking they’re going in the right direction.”

Q: What about Mitchell?

VERMEIL: “Nah, I think we’ll just do one, though I’d like to have them both. Plus, we have enough receivers of quality and some young kids could get better too.”

Q: If Hakim came here how would he stack up?

VERMEIL: “I think we’d have to wait and see what he is today compared to what he was. It’s like your mom’s chocolate cake used to be a lot better than when you taste it 20 years later.

“I think he’s still the football player he’s always been and he’d be very competitive to start and very competitive to play at any time.”

Q: Eric Warfield was not with the first team today even in the nickel package. Is that going to be permanent?

VERMEIL: “No, that’s not permanent, but it stems from the problem that he’s facing and there’s some lack of definition of what’s going to happen to him. So, we’re working some other people in with the first unit just for coordination purposes.”

Q: Have you heard anything from the NFL on that?

VERMEIL: “No.”

Q: How have the other guys looked there?

VERMEIL: “Good, overall the defense in the movement to the ball, the closing of the space between the ball carrier and the defender has really come on. I think we’re going to have to do a much better job defending the big play that we’ve had trouble with for over three years. We have speed on defense.”

Q: At the wide receiver position how is Craphonso Thorpe working put?

VERMEIL: “Slowly. He’s just a rookie. He’s only been here a couple of weeks but he’s making progress every day. He really is. I’m pleased with the progress he’s making.”

Q: And Samie Parker is progressing?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, and Richard Smith is really ascending too. You know Richard Smith ascended when all the receivers got hurt last year in training camp. He made a contribution early and he’s way ahead of that right now.”

Q: Todd Collins took a lot of reps today without Trent Green being there. Was that just….

VERMEIL: “To give him some work and to rest Trent.”

Q: What happened to Hodge?

VERMEIL: “He was up close playing defense and the receiver turned around and his elbow hit him.”

Q: What are you hoping to get out of next week’s OTA?

VERMEIL: “We still have introduction work to do in putting in stuff that is really new to the young kids, not really new to the veterans. We need to work on situation football, some preparation for the opener.”

bobbything
06-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Q: Eric Warfield was not with the first team today even in the nickel package. Is that going to be permanent?

VERMEIL: “No, that’s not permanent, but it stems from the problem that he’s facing and there’s some lack of definition of what’s going to happen to him. So, we’re working some other people in with the first unit just for coordination purposes.”

Q: Have you heard anything from the NFL on that?

VERMEIL: “No.”
I wish the NFL would make their decision soon.

Rausch
06-09-2005, 03:45 PM
It's always good to get an 0dd T0dd update...

The Bad Guy
06-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Well that settles it, Hakim is the guy they want.

I bet by this time tomorrow he's a Chief.

Hydrae
06-09-2005, 04:00 PM
No talking with an agent for Mitchell should make many around here happy.

15 stitches in an eyelid from an elbow? How do you fit 15 stitches onto an eyelid?

suds79
06-09-2005, 04:09 PM
No talking with an agent for Mitchell should make many around here happy.

15 stitches in an eyelid from an elbow? How do you fit 15 stitches onto an eyelid?

Yup.

Consider me one of em. That guy is a cancer.

I personally don't think we need Az but at least it's no Mitchell.

Why can't they just settle on

1 - Kennison
2 - Parker
3 - Boerigter or Smith
4 - Thorpe or Hall.

beavis
06-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I think it’s the best week of OTA’s since I’ve been here.
How many times can he say something is the "best since I've been here" before no one believes it anymore? I know it was lost on me about two years ago.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Yup.

Consider me one of em. That guy is a cancer.

I personally don't think we need Az but at least it's no Mitchell.

Why can't they just settle on

1 - Kennison
2 - Parker
3 - Boerigter or Smith
4 - Thorpe or Hall.

You're gonna depend on a guy with 9 catches, another one who hasn't been healthy since 02, another practice squader who couldn't compete when the real games started and a rookie to go with Kennison and Dante?

Yikes.

beavis
06-09-2005, 04:18 PM
You're gonna depend on a guy with 9 catches, another one who hasn't been healthy since 02, another practice squader who couldn't compete when the real games started and a rookie to go with Kennison and Dante?

Yikes.
Only until Scanlon gets used to playing the slot.

suds79
06-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Yikes.

Here's the thing.

Parker - Came on strong at the end of the season when he got some PT.

All these guys we don't know what they can do.

With Az & Freddie we do know what they can do... Nothing.

Either way it doesn't matter. Sign Az and may the best man get the PT.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Here's the thing.

Parker - Came on strong at the end of the season when he got some PT.

All these guys we don't know what they can do.

With Az & Freddie we do know what they can do... Nothing.

Either way it doesn't matter. Sign Az and may the best man get the PT.

I completely disagree that Az Hakim can't help our offense.

Parker came on strong, but he has 9 catches and was hurt last year. I don't care how strong he came on, depending on him in a starting role wtih no insurance behind him is foolish.

TRR
06-09-2005, 04:22 PM
I completely disagree that Az Hakim can't help our offense.

Parker came on strong, but he has 9 catches and was hurt last year. I don't care how strong he came on, depending on him in a starting role wtih no insurance behind him is foolish.

Agree whole heartedly. Hakim will produce in this offense.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
the offseason isn't complete in the DV lead Chiefs era without a reunion story. bring on Hakim

shakesthecat
06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
The Ramzification continues.

I think/hope Parker wins the #2 spot. But I'll take Az at #3 over Bo, Thorpe, or Smith, anyday.

nascher
06-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Holcombe

DaneMcCloud
06-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Az Hakim has played in TWO Super Bowls, has come up with some pretty big plays in his time (both receiving and returning), plus he knows the offensive scheme AND the coaching staff. He's never been an off-field distraction nor has he caused any problems. In addition to the Bad Guy's comments, what's not to like?

Dane
~Doesn't understand the problem with Hakim

Wile_E_Coyote
06-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Holcombe

Rams '98-01, good call

NaptownChief
06-09-2005, 04:40 PM
I think Smith is really a player...He proved that in the preseason last year. He got screwed on the cut down only because of draft pick politics.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2005, 04:49 PM
I think Smith is really a player...He proved that in the preseason last year. He got screwed on the cut down only because of draft pick politics.

Smith made the team last year. As I recall, he played against Denver.

Smith pissed down his leg when the real games started.

keg in kc
06-09-2005, 04:50 PM
He got screwed on the cut down only because of draft pick politics.Wasn't he on the roster the first 3 weeks of the season?

Warrior5
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
not a single question about Brian Waters.

I realize that news is real slow right now, but lately 610 has been nothing more than papparazzi with all the speculation about Waters. They're going to look foolish if/when Waters shows up at mini-camp on Saturday and says "told ya so!"

NaptownChief
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Wasn't he on the roster the first 3 weeks of the season?

He made the intial roster but got whacked after Morton or some other WR came back from injury.

kc-nd
06-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Smith did fine until the NFL turned the regular season switch on.

NaptownChief
06-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Smith did fine until the NFL turned the regular season switch on.

Good lord he was only a rookie and only saw parts of a couple games...If the first 3 games of your rookie season is the benchmark for a player then damn near every player who has entered the league would be cut.

shakesthecat
06-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Nap, what do you think about Parker?

I think Smith and Thorpe battle it out for the 5th spot.

Red Dawg
06-09-2005, 06:05 PM
I got no problem with Hakim. He knows the offense and still has plenty of speed left in the tank. Parker will still get on the field. We will go with some 4 WR sets this season.

TRR
06-09-2005, 06:11 PM
I would rather have Hakim as the #2 guy with Parker working in the slot. Hakim is just more experienced and can play either as a #2 or in the slot. I have nothing to really back it up other than I don't think Parker is ready to step up from 4 games in the NFL, to 16 game starter.

BigChiefFan
06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
We have some players with alot of POTENTIAL, but it would be nice to have some insurance in Az-Hakim.

Inspector
06-09-2005, 06:19 PM
I can live with this.

He can also be insurance at returner if (God forbid) Dante gets hurt.

Glad it wasn't Mitchell. Hakim was the better pick of the two IMO.

chiefkdawg
06-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Never hurts to add depth (remember last year)

Also good Dante insurance.

Wallcrawler
06-09-2005, 07:01 PM
I like the Hakim pickup, if in fact they are able to sign him. Hes not a distraction, and he brings playmaking speed and ability to this team, and better yet, he already knows the system well enough to be a solid contributor.

I really wish that the NFL would make its decision regarding Warfield.

Onterrio Smith got into some trouble, and he was informed of his situation within a week. This business with Warfield dates back to last season, so a decision should have been made quite some time ago.

Either suspend him, or dont. Its not really that difficult of a concept. Even Paul Tagliabue should be able to handle it, its so simple.

TRR
06-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I like the Hakim pickup, if in fact they are able to sign him. Hes not a distraction, and he brings playmaking speed and ability to this team, and better yet, he already knows the system well enough to be a solid contributor.

Onterrio Smith got into some trouble, and he was informed of his situation within a week. This business with Warfield dates back to last season, so a decision should have been made quite some time ago.

Either suspend him, or dont. Its not really that difficult of a concept. Even Paul Tagliabue should be able to handle it, its so simple.

Because the NFL has waited this long, I don't see how they can justify suspending him. It would obviously be a detriment to the Chiefs team. If Warfield were to be suspended, he should have been notified the day he was convicted. That would have given the Chiefs organization time to find an adequate replacement for 4 games. Now we will have to rely on McCleon or Sapp during that 4 game stretch. Kind of B.S if you ask me.

milkman
06-09-2005, 07:38 PM

I don't know why, but Tagliabue seems to **** with the Chiefs every chance he gets.

He's a dick that needs to be castrated from the NFL.

J Diddy
06-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't know why, but Tagliabue seems to **** with the Chiefs every chance he gets.

He's a dick that needs to be castrated from the NFL.

I don't know about that. I mean it was Warfield's 3rd or so offense?

milkman
06-09-2005, 07:46 PM
I don't know about that. I mean it was Warfield's 3rd or so offense?

I'm not talking about the possible suspension.
He needs to be suspended.
He should have been sent to jail, rather than that ridiculous house arrest.

My point is, Tagliabue and the NFL should have made the decison to suspend him as soon as he was convicted.

He's leaving the Chiefs in limbo on this.

As much as know we need Warfield on the field, I would have happy if he had been sent to jail, and suspended for the entire season.

I had been a strong Warfield supporter, even when everyone else was bitching about his play a couple of seasons ago.

I won't support him anymore.

Pants
06-09-2005, 07:49 PM
I would rather have Hakim as the #2 guy with Parker working in the slot. Hakim is just more experienced and can play either as a #2 or in the slot. I have nothing to really back it up other than I don't think Parker is ready to step up from 4 games in the NFL, to 16 game starter.

What makes you say that? What does he have to do to make you think he's ready to step up and become a 16 game starter?

TRR
06-09-2005, 08:14 PM
What makes you say that? What does he have to do to make you think he's ready to step up and become a 16 game starter?

Well he hasn't done anything yet, that's the problem. Your going to say he hasn't had a chance to, and your somewhat right, but I don't think we can count on a player that played in 4 NFL games last season, to start 16 games this season. Not only did he only play just 4 games, but he didn't have a 100 yard game. He was far from setting the league on fire in those 4 games. I just think Az Hakim would be a better option at WR to start the season. Let Parker play the slot, and work in gradually. If Parker surpasses Hakim, so be it. But right now, Parker is nothing more than potential. Asking a 4th rounder to step up from 4 games (with a lot of plays coming from the slot) to the #2 starter for 16 games and beyond is A LOT TO ASK.

Pants
06-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Well he hasn't done anything yet, that's the problem. Your going to say he hasn't had a chance to, and your somewhat right, but I don't think we can count on a player that played in 4 NFL games last season, to start 16 games this season. Not only did he only play just 4 games, but he didn't have a 100 yard game. He was far from setting the league on fire in those 4 games. I just think Az Hakim would be a better option at WR to start the season. Let Parker play the slot, and work in gradually. If Parker surpasses Hakim, so be it. But right now, Parker is nothing more than potential. Asking a 4th rounder to step up from 4 games (with a lot of plays coming from the slot) to the #2 starter for 16 games and beyond is A LOT TO ASK.

All I saw in him was when the ball was thrown to him, he came up with big catches. How do you expect a reciever to have a 100 yard game, when the ball is only thrown twice to him?

TRR
06-09-2005, 08:36 PM
All I saw in him was when the ball was thrown to him, he came up with big catches. How do you expect a reciever to have a 100 yard game, when the ball is only thrown twice to him?

He looked like any other rookie to me. Like I said, he is all potential right now. He'll face stiff competition from a good vet with just as much speed in Az Hakim.

You know I could spin that and say that if he was only thrown to twice, then he was having problems getting open? Parker did struggle at getting off the line last season. Vermeil was open about that.

Hopefully Hakim is signed.

htismaqe
06-09-2005, 09:31 PM
My point is, Tagliabue and the NFL should have made the decison to suspend him as soon as he was convicted.

He's leaving the Chiefs in limbo on this.

:bravo:

Swanman
06-10-2005, 07:04 AM
I can live with this.

He can also be insurance at returner if (God forbid) Dante gets hurt.

Glad it wasn't Mitchell. Hakim was the better pick of the two IMO.

I was thinking the same thing about Hakim being a backup for Dante. I'm not sure how many steps he's lost since the Super Bowl year in StL, but if he's still a decent returner you could put him back with Dante on kickoffs and do some creative things now and then. It will be nice to get a guy that wear a couple hats like that. That's also why I love the Holcombe pickup, he provides a backup for Tony Richardson and can also carry the ball when needed (he is Illinois' all-time leading rusher).