PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Going Full Speed

C-Mac
06-10-2005, 07:07 AM
GRETZ: Going Full Speed
Jun 10, 2005, 6:18:01 AM by Bob Gretz

Ideally, the Chiefs would like to see some of the offensive load taken off the shoulders of Priest Holmes in 2005.

He’ll be 32 years old in October and he missed half of last season with a knee injury. Pro football history reveals very few running backs have much of a career beyond the age of 30, especially one that has had the ball in his hands as many times as Holmes over the last four seasons. The wear and tear eventually reduces their effectiveness.

Plus, with an opportunity to play last year, Larry Johnson showed he has the skills to be productive in the league, as both a runner and receiver. With Derrick Blaylock gone in free agency, L.J. is the unquestioned backup and destined for more activity.

There’s only one problem: Priest Holmes isn’t buying. Not in any fashion. He wants no part of a lightened load. His age and recent injuries (hip and knee) are meaningless pieces of the puzzle right now in his view.

Holmes feels good and he wants the ball. He wants it a lot.

“I don’t think I’ll have fewer opportunities,” Holmes said. “I like the idea of getting Larry more involved in the offense. I really like the idea of the two of us in the backfield together some of the time.

“But I don’t really see me getting fewer chances. Why would that happen?”

Well Priest, maybe because the Chiefs would like to see if they could extend your playing career maybe another year or two, rather than continue to pile up the runs and catches the way they have since you joined the team in 2001.

“I just don’t see that as a problem in this offense,” said Holmes. “We have a lot of weapons, a lot of ways to move the ball and score points. There have been plenty of opportunities for all of us in this offense and I don’t see why that’s going to change.” The fact is that Priest Holmes isn’t giving an inch and he believes that attitude will help make himself, the Chiefs and Larry Johnson better.

“I can pull some things out of Larry,” said Holmes. “He’s going to be very successful. We all saw that with the way he ran last year.

“If I can challenge him and show him that it’s not going to be easy, that I’m going to make every play, I’m going to take advantage of every play when I’m out there, that’s going to force him to take advantage of every play when he’s out there.

“That’s the way I love to play football. It goes back to my younger days, when I always wanted to play against the taller kids, the bigger kids. I loved to play against those guys because I got the ball all the time, because the other kids my size were afraid to run against the big kids.

“I’m going to make it very challenging for him to make sure he plays at his best for every game. I’m going to force him to make that big play, because if he doesn’t make it, I’m going to make it.”

Over the last three years when the Chiefs offense has been at the top of the league in yards and points produced, Holmes has been on top of that production. In an average game during the 2002-04 seasons, he averaged 41 percent of the touches, 37 percent of the yards and 50 percent of the touchdowns. He has been the offensive engine and he does not feel like there’s any reason that can’t continue.

“You don’t really know what the human body can do, until you ask it to do something,” said Holmes. “It’s like you don’t know if you can carry the ball 30 times in a game, but then you get a chance and you find out you can do it.”

Count Holmes as one who doesn’t buy into the theory that running backs have only a certain number of carries in them before it becomes a war of attrition on their bodies.

“No, I don’t believe that, don’t believe that at all,” Holmes said emphatically. “Absolutely not.”

His reply came in the same manner that he carries the football: with burst and with power. Great running backs tend to be this way. Marcus Allen’s hackles would rise every time the conversation turned to his age and how much football he could still play. “What does a man’s age have to do with it?” he once asked me. “It’s about what you can produce on the field, not what it says on a calendar.”

That attitude was one of the reasons that Allen was able to play until he was 37 years old. In the history of the league, the number of effective running backs at that age is a very small fraternity.

Priest Holmes is still a good many years away from joining that group and he doesn’t talk like membership with them is a long-term goal. He very simply doesn’t see why he needs any less action in 2005 than he was getting in 2004 before he was hurt, or what he got in 2003 when he set the NFL record for touchdowns in a season.

“The wear and tear is going to be there,” said Holmes. “That’s what goes with the game of football. Throughout my career I’ve always bounced back from injuries. I don’t know why it would be any different now.

“I feel great, I’m ready and I want the ball.”

Idahored
06-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Holmes is going to make LJ work for every snap he gets.....I love this guys attitude!! Glad I have his jersey.

Rain Man
06-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey, give it back. He's going to need it.

Idahored
06-10-2005, 09:35 AM
I think he can afford a new one...just maybe.

bricks
06-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey, give it back. He's going to need it.

ROFL funny stuff Rainman. Sometimes you just never know.

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 09:55 AM
I like these kinds of issues on the team, better than say, wondering if Donnell "The Playmaker" Bennett was going to get more carries this year with his .9 YPC average or if Vanover could succesfully be converted to RB.

bricks
06-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I like these kinds of issues on the team, better than say, wondering if Donnell "The Playmaker" Bennett was going to get more carries this year with his .9 YPC average or if Vanover could succesfully be converted to RB.

I hear ya Titus. Yeah it's really good to hear that we have 2 good running backs...Something we couldn't do in the '90's that's for sure.

AirForceChief
06-10-2005, 10:09 AM
I hear ya Titus. Yeah it's really good to hear that we have 2 good running backs...Something we couldn't do in the '90's that's for sure.

We haven't been this flush at RB since the days of Okoye and Word. That was a fun backfield, I just hope our current one lasts longer than that one did.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:17 AM
We haven't been this flush at RB since the days of Okoye and Word. That was a fun backfield, I just hope our current one lasts longer than that one did.

Two completely different styles. Okoye and Word were both straight-ahead runners whose style was predicated on contact. That, in and of itself, led to the short life span.

bricks
06-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Two completely different styles. Okoye and Word were both straight-ahead runners whose style was predicated on contact. That, in and of itself, led to the short life span.

North, South runners?

Calcountry
06-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Two completely different styles. Okoye and Word were both straight-ahead runners whose style was predicated on contact. That, in and of itself, led to the short life span.This reminds me of a Miami v KC game 3 years ago at the beginning of the season.

The Chiefs were running effectively at the start, so the Dolphins figure we can just go stop the run and they are done, like we did when they had that Okoye fella, Keep in mind this is the first time that Green opened it up effectively, BAM. We lit em up in the passing game and almost quit running. That is the first time in a long time that I had been excited about the Chiefs O.

The O under Marty was always effective, but not high potency.

The problem was that day, and since, is that the _fense was non existent.

IIRC we outscored them that day and went on to an 8-8 season.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
This reminds me of a Miami v KC game 3 years ago at the beginning of the season.

The Chiefs were running effectively at the start, so the Dolphins figure we can just go stop the run and they are done, like we did when they had that Okoye fella, Keep in mind this is the first time that Green opened it up effectively, BAM. We lit em up in the passing game and almost quit running. That is the first time in a long time that I had been excited about the Chiefs O.

The O under Marty was always effective, but not high potency.

The problem was that day, and since, is that the _fense was non existent.

IIRC we outscored them that day and went on to an 8-8 season.

Yeah, didn't we put like 40 on New England the next week and lose?

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Okoye and Word were good, Im not going to argue that, but they werent versatile. If KC was sitting 3rd and 10+, there was little to zero chance that Okoye or Word would be in there to help convert. In today's offense, Holmes could convert a draw just as easily as KC could pass for first down.

On many occasions, specifically during those damned Elway/Denver games, I can remember Marty leaning on Okoye to get a first down to kill clock (it hurts just typing that) only to find him stopped dead in his tracks.

While I appreciated those two players, they werent anything the backs KC has today. If given a choice, I prefer our current stable to the Okoye/Word duo.

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Yeah, didn't we put like 40 on New England the next week and lose?

DV settled for OT instead of going for the outright win by going for 2 on that last TD with 0:00 on the clock.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Okoye and Word were good, Im not going to argue that, but they werent versatile. If KC was sitting 3rd and 10+, there was little to zero chance that Okoye or Word would be in there to help convert. In today's offense, Holmes could convert a draw just as easily as KC could pass for first down.

On many occasions, specifically during those damned Elway/Denver games, I can remember Marty leaning on Okoye to get a first down to kill clock (it hurts just typing that) only to find him stopped dead in his tracks.

While I appreciated those two players, they werent anything the backs KC has today. If given a choice, I prefer our current stable to the Okoye/Word duo.

I prefer our current stable of running backs over any other time in team history. Of course, I'm not old enough to remember Garrett, Podolak, and those guys, but Holmes by himself is by far the best backfield this team has had in the 20 years I've been a fan.

Hell, I'd take him over not only Chiefs former running backs, but the entire NFL, save for a few. IMO, he's done for this franchise and it's RB position what Emmitt Smith did in Dallas, or Barry Sanders in Detroit.

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 10:57 AM
DV settled for OT instead of going for the outright win by going for 2 on that last TD with 0:00 on the clock.

Then let that poor decision dictate moves in later games. That's when I started to think he's a great person and motivator, but completely senile in terms of in-game tactics/strategery.

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Then let that poor decision dictate moves in later games. That's when I started to think he's a great person and motivator, but completely senile in terms of in-game tactics/strategery.

Yeah, and it hasnt gotten much better.

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I prefer our current stable of running backs over any other time in team history. Of course, I'm not old enough to remember Garrett, Podolak, and those guys, but Holmes by himself is by far the best backfield this team has had in the 20 years I've been a fan.

Hell, I'd take him over not only Chiefs former running backs, but the entire NFL, save for a few. IMO, he's done for this franchise and it's RB position what Emmitt Smith did in Dallas, or Barry Sanders in Detroit.

Agreed...Im in the same boat, I just wanted to give Okoye/Word some dap but make the point that these two are MUCH better.

bricks
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM

dude....in simple terms, if DV went for the 2 points and got it, he's a genius. If he fails to get the 2 points, everybody would be on his a** and I'm sure some of us would be saying why didn't he just go for the extra point and try to win the game in overtime. Sometimes we can't always judge somebody for their decision in late games. Coaches make decisions and they are either going to be the best decisions or they are going to backfire. Not to take anything away from you, but, I'm against the fact when people judge a coach because a decision he made late in the game didn't work out. whatever the coaches dictate, is either going to work or not. It is the nature of how things get done. At least I give DV credit for trying. It's just too bad we lost that game.

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 11:19 AM
dude....in simple terms, if DV went for the 2 points and got it, he's a genius. If he fails to get the 2 points, everybody would be on his a** and I'm sure some of us would be saying why didn't he just go for the extra point and try to win the game in overtime.

Not to me...at that point in that season, it was clearly obvious that to win KC was going to have to give up on the defense. If he would have tried and failed, I would have said it was the right choice--but I most likely would have been in the minority on it.

bricks
06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Not to me...at that point in that season, it was clearly obvious that to win KC was going to have to give up on the defense.

I've been saying that every year! lol....hopefully, this year will be different.

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 11:24 AM
What Titus said.
Yet again DV put faith in the _efense, and it failed him miserably... <i>again</i>.

Definition of insanity is the repetition of an act with but one outcome, expecting a differing result each time.

bricks
06-10-2005, 11:26 AM
What Titus said.
Yet again DV put faith in the _efense, and it failed him miserably... <i>again</i>.

Definition of insanity is the repetition of an act with but one outcome, expecting a differing result each time.

True

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 11:28 AM
The Titans, when they played Indy late last year did 3 onsides in a row. Now, THATS aggressive...

IIRC think they recovered 2 of them :eek:

I wouldn't go so far as to regularly try onsides against a team like Indy... too great a risk of giving them a short field to work with. Against KC, it may be a good idea, considering Dante can kill you :D

Going for it on 4th & 2-, hell yes. With an offense like this, and a _efense like we've had... you rely on your O. The ONE component of the team that can consistently be counted on to produce.

bricks
06-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Yes, I have too...I dont think DV hasn't been aggressive enough on offense. The Titans, when they played Indy late last year did 3 onsides in a row. Now, THATS aggressive...Im not necessarily calling for that, although it couldnt hurt last year, but slightly more aggressive would be a good thing.

I wish we did the same thing titans did to indy. Remember, when we played Indy in the playoffs and couldn't stop them once? Now, if we tried some onside kicks on them, what would we have to lose?

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 11:31 AM
IIRC think they recovered 2 of them :eek:

I wouldn't go so far as to regularly try onsides against a team like Indy... too great a risk of giving them a short field to work with. Against KC, it may be a good idea, considering Dante can kill you

Yes, they did get 2 of them...

Actually, that was Fisher's argument, that it didnt matter what size field he gave Indy, if they lost the onside, it would only take them a couple of plays to get that far anyway.

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 11:32 AM
I wish we did the same thing titans did to indy. Remember, when we played Indy in the playoffs and couldn't stop them once? Now, if we tried some onside kicks on them, what would we have to lose?

Do you really want to force me to remember that? It makes me want to hurl.

I agree though, they should have done something, it was pretty apparent KC wasnt going to stop Indy that day.

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Yes, they did get 2 of them...

Actually, that was Fisher's argument, that it didnt matter what size field he gave Indy, if they lost the onside, it would only take them a couple of plays to get that far anyway.

Yeah, the Titans did suck butt last season. I still wouldn't run the risk on short field on kickoffs. Have to give your O time to rest when they're in a scoring race ;)

bricks
06-10-2005, 11:36 AM

Ok...let's drop it them. save your stomach.

ROYC75
06-10-2005, 12:45 PM

Even in those golden days of yester years, we never had the talent of the 2 we have now.

Different game all togther.........

Calcountry
06-10-2005, 01:37 PM

I agree though, they should have done something, it was pretty apparent KC wasnt going to stop Indy that day.About the only thing we could have done, is come out in a regular set, then blitz everyone. We know Payton would get the rock off, but he would get pounded. They score a TD on one play, then we put our offense back on the field.

At least if we throw Payton arround a little, that would at least show some pride. They were gonna score anyway, why not stop the suffering and put the O back on the field.

milkman
06-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Our current stable is better than Garrett/Podolak.

And T-Rich is the best FB we've ever had, but I sure did like to watch Robert "The Tank" Holmes play.

Hammock Parties
06-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I have little faith in our coaching staff to limit Priest's touches and give LJ his share of the load. Hopefully they do the right thing.

whoman69
06-10-2005, 09:42 PM

Garrett and Podolak never really played together. Podolak was injured in '69 and Garrett's attitude and the play of Podolak got him traded in mid '70. We had some very deep backfields in the 60s.

C-Mac
06-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Our current stable is better than Garrett/Podolak.

And T-Rich is the best FB we've ever had, but I sure did like to watch Robert "The Tank" Holmes play.

What...no kudos for Kimble?

htismaqe
06-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Garrett and Podolak never really played together. Podolak was injured in '69 and Garrett's attitude and the play of Podolak got him traded in mid '70. We had some very deep backfields in the 60s.

I know, I wasn't really talking about RB tandems, I was just talking about era's. Because in reality, the Okoye/Word thing was more of an "era" with Okoye teaming with Word, McNair, Palmer, Williams, and others. So I'm not really comparing specific players...

My backfield's in order:

1) under Vermeil 2001-present

yes, Holmes is THAT good. I put this one here simply because of the TD record, the guy scored more TD's than many teams over a 2-year period. add LJ and Blaylock and what they did as backups, as well as TRich making the Pro Bowl every year

2) under Stram 1960-1971

Podolak, Garrett, Haynes...they had some good runners and were top 5 in rushing yards something like 8 of those 11 seasons...part of it was a product of the way football was played back then, but those guys are HoF'ers.

3) under Ganz 1988, under Schottenheimer 1989-1991

The Okoye years, featuring Word, Palmer, McNair, and many others.

Red Dawg
06-11-2005, 08:44 AM
If our defense is good enough to keeep a lead the LJ will see the field alot more. If not then they will not let Holmes leave the field.

CrazyHorse
06-11-2005, 08:53 AM

How soon they forget. :shake:

milkman
06-11-2005, 04:40 PM

Kimble was great as well.
Probably a little better receiver than T-Rich, and nearly as good a blocker.

I really liked Kimble a lot, and T-Rich as well, but the Tank was just fun to watch.