PDA

View Full Version : For grilling/smoking -- charcoal or propane?

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2005, 08:17 AM
OK... I know everybody's got their preferences... so vote. I'm making it a private poll, so nobody will know how you voted, so be honest. Some people CLAIM charcoal but are closet propane users.

Goapics1
06-10-2005, 08:19 AM
I use propane mostly. I have a small charcoal grill that I use when tailgating/camping.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Propane enthusiasts: UNITE!

InChiefsHeaven
06-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Charcoal for flavor....

...propane for convenience. Someday my kids will leave the house and I'll have all the time in the world to fire up the coals.

Goapics1
06-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Charcoal for flavor....

...propane for convenience. Someday my kids will leave the house and I'll have all the time in the world to fire up the coals.
You hit it right on the head brotha'. :clap:

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Bad, bad poll.

You cannot equate grilling to smoking/BBQ, they are two different things.

I've added two options to your poll.

Goapics1
06-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Bad, bad poll.

You cannot equate grilling to smoking/BBQ, they are two different things.

I've added two options to your poll.
Can I re-vote then?

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Anyways, I use propane for grilling. Grilling is about "quick and easy".

I use charcoal and wood for smoking/BBQ.

:D

jspchief
06-10-2005, 08:25 AM
What about those of us that use electric smokers? :sulk:

htismaqe
Can I re-vote then?

Sure. Tell me what you voted for and what you want your vote to be.

htismaqe
What about those of us that use electric smokers? :sulk:

Ah, the sweet smell of ostracism.

Bwana
06-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Charcoal is your friend.

Goapics1
06-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Sure. Tell me what you voted for and what you want your vote to be.
voted propane. want to change to "Charcoal for smoking, propane for grilling" thanks

Goapics1
06-10-2005, 08:29 AM
What 'bout those deep fry turkey pot's? Anyone use those? I got one, and family loves that shit whether it be a whole turkey, chicken, or duck.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 08:34 AM
voted propane. want to change to "Charcoal for smoking, propane for grilling" thanks

done.

Goapics1
06-10-2005, 08:34 AM
done.
thank you

6 Iron
06-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Nearly idiot proof grilling and smoking, with great flavor.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

OgTheCaveman
06-10-2005, 08:45 AM
http://www.ancestraltrails.org/graphics/sugarbush/detail/camp-fire-drawing.jpg

Goapics1
06-10-2005, 08:47 AM
http://www.ancestraltrails.org/graphics/sugarbush/detail/camp-fire-drawing.jpg
Og, you are pretty good at this interweb thingy! I'll give you some positive rep.

Phobia
06-10-2005, 08:50 AM
What 'bout those deep fry turkey pot's? Anyone use those? I got one, and family loves that shit whether it be a whole turkey, chicken, or duck.

Yeah - I do that, too. But it's unrelated to grilling or smoking.

I use charcoal/wood for both grilling and smoking. Sometimes I'll use a propane grill, but I put wood chips in there for flavor.

MOhillbilly
06-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Yeah - I do that, too. But it's unrelated to grilling or smoking.

I use charcoal/wood for both grilling and smoking. Sometimes I'll use a propane grill, but I put wood chips in there for flavor.

its all in the wood, fire&draw.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Nearly idiot proof grilling and smoking, with great flavor.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Everybody that's ever used one swears by the Egg. I've never used one myself.

Baby Lee
06-10-2005, 09:47 AM
It's clean burnin' ahtellyawhaht!!

Baby Lee
06-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Alton Brown made on using two big terra cotta flower pots inverted on one another, a hot plate, a pie tin for wood, a grate, and a meat thermometer. $40.

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 09:56 AM
With grilling, it's all about searing. In that case, doesn't matter what you use. The "Flavor" from charcoal is inaccurate: if cooked properly it won't taste any different. Now, if you cook w/ charcoal and don't use a drip pan/drip guard, you'll get charcoal ash \splashed onto the meat... which adds a bitter/burnt flavor; not to mention carcinogens.

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Grilling: propane
BBQ/Smoking: coal/wood

And I concur with what HC said...you sear the meat to seal the juice and flavor inside. Grilled meat doesnt take long and wouldnt pick up any flavor from chips/coal, especially if cooked med rare to rare.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
With grilling, it's all about searing. In that case, doesn't matter what you use. The "Flavor" from charcoal is inaccurate: if cooked properly it won't taste any different. Now, if you cook w/ charcoal and don't use a drip pan/drip guard, you'll get charcoal ash \splashed onto the meat... which adds a bitter/burnt flavor; not to mention carcinogens.

Bingo. If your steak TASTES like charcoal, you're probably cooking it too slow.

Baby Lee
06-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Uncle Jun - It's them all d@mn carcinogens in grilled meat. They never told us.

Rain Man
06-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Propane enthusiasts: UNITE!

At first I thought you said, "Propane enthusiasts: IGNITE!"

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 10:14 AM
At first I thought you said, "Propane enthusiasts: IGNITE!"

Tpemroary dlysexia

Dyslexics UNTIE!

cdcox
06-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I've taken to doing good steaks (fillet mignon) on the stove in a cast iron skillet. Since cooking steak is mostly about searing you don't lose anythig by not using the grill. The benefit of the pan is that all the drippings from the meat are captured in the cooking fat. I typically make a pan sauce out of the drippings. I would never touch a steak with A-1 but a freshly made pan sauce is a whole different story.

Baby Lee
06-10-2005, 10:19 AM
I would never touch a steak with A-1 but a freshly made man sauce is a whole different story.
:eek:

cdcox
06-10-2005, 10:20 AM
:eek:

No, that is not what the seedy cocks is for.

HC_Chief
I've taken to doing good steaks (fillet mignon) on the stove in a cast iron skillet. Since cooking steak is mostly about searing you don't lose anythig by not using the grill. The benefit of the pan is that all the drippings from the meat are captured in the cooking fat. I typically make a pan sauce out of the drippings. I would never touch a steak with A-1 but a freshly made pan sauce is a whole different story.

I grilled steaks once and my sil put ketchup on it. Another time my wife made her spectacular roast (unbelievable how good that roast is)... sil put ketchup on it. Each time I told her to get the &$^% out! :grr:

htismaqe

I'm not fond of beef fat as a flavoring agent for steaks, so I do steaks on the grill.

For bacon cheesburgers though, I fry up some thick bacon and then fry the hamburgers in the bacon fat. Pretty good.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:22 AM
I grilled steaks once and my sil put ketchup on it. Another time my wife made her spectacular roast (unbelievable how good that roast is)... sil put ketchup on it. Each time I told her to get the &$^% out! :grr:

See, I'm raising my 3yo right. Everybody around her (except me) eats ketchup on just about everything it seems.

So my 3yo eats BBQ sauce instead of ketchup. I take her to McDonald's and she gets chicken nuggets, just so she has some Q sauce to dip her fries in. :D

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm not fond of beef fat as a flavoring agent for steaks, so I do steaks on the grill.

For bacon cheesburgers though, I fry up some thick bacon and then fry the hamburgers in the bacon fat. Pretty good.

I've recently been adding Lee & Perrins to the ground beef before grilling... it's excellent! :thumb:

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I would never touch a steak with A-1...

A friend of mine's wife puts ketchup on her steaks...I cannot eat in the same room with her, it sickens me.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I've reccently meen adding Lee & Perrins to the ground beef before grilling... it's excellent! :thumb:

Dude, I love Worcestershire sauce on burgers and beef roasts. I've been using it in my BBQ sauce recipe.

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 10:25 AM
A friend of mine's wife puts ketchup on her steaks...I cannot eat in the same room with her, it sickens me.

Frigging blasphemy! If the steak is tough/poor quality, okay... but not a high quality, well seared cut!!

Those people don't deserve to eat a good steak.

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Dude, I love Worcestershire sauce on burgers and beef roasts. I've been using it in my BBQ sauce recipe.

It adds a nice distinct flavor to the burger.

My wife's roast is insanely good... the sauce it simmers in (crockpot slow-cook for 6+ hrs) has garlic, Lee & Perrins and Soy. :drool:

It's actually a Dr Phil recipe.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Frigging blasphemy! If the steak is tough/poor quality, okay... but not a high quality, well seared cut!!

My SiL likes her steaks burned to a crisp... seriously. If it's not REALLY well-done, she won't eat it. Consequently, whenever we have steaks and she's invited, we all get ribeyes... she gets chuck. Burned steak is burned steak. I'm not about to turn a good ribeye into a meteorite.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2005, 10:36 AM

Hell, I put ketchup on cheap steaks sometime, but if it's anything better than a chuck steak, it's garlic salt, pepper, and a dollop of herb butter.

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 10:37 AM
If you ever want to try a premade rub/marinade, give Daddy Henkel's a try... it is GOOD.

Rain Man
06-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Back before I was married, I had a cheating fiance (not the wife, another fiance, one who cheated). One time, she told me that a friend of hers was coming to town, and we should take him out to dinner. We took him to one of those Stuart Anderson places and all had steaks. I asked for some A-1 sauce, and this friend of hers was just an ass about it. He kept saying sarcastically, "Is that steak good with that steak sauce on it?" and "How's that A-1 sauce working for you?" and other stuff.

At the time, I just ignored him because I was trying to be polite to my cheating fiance, but now I wish I had broken the A-1 bottle on the table and cut him with it.

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM

No, these are really good cuts...ribeye, NY Strip, etc averaging $10-15 per steak.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
My SiL likes her steaks burned to a crisp... seriously. If it's not REALLY well-done, she won't eat it. Consequently, whenever we have steaks and she's invited, we all get ribeyes... she gets chuck. Burned steak is burned steak. I'm not about to turn a good ribeye into a meteorite.

My wife likes her steaks well done. I like mine medium to rare.

The Hy-Vee here sells "charcoal steaks" and I think they're flank, or an old pair of work boots. My wife buys them because they're cheap. I buy them for her because I know she's going to ask me to turn it into charcoal.

HC_Chief
06-10-2005, 10:41 AM
For whatever reason (satisfying the white trash loser side of me I suppose) I've been taking excessive pride in making really cheap cuts taste like filet mignon :D

I'll pick up a dirt-cheap pack of shoulder cuts, trim 'em a bit, lay the beat down on 'em with a tenderizer, marinade & grill 'em. I get all kinds of comments on how great my steaks are and how I must have spent a ton of $ to get such juicy, tender steaks.

Eye Patch
06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Real barbeque purist use charcoal… Period

If you’re look for connivance, which the propane models offer, but want the flavor consider the Weber charcoal igniting grill.

It’s basically a Weber that has a propane-connected tube inserted into the chamber. All you do is pile the charcoal over the grate where the tube is below…. Turn on the gas and push an igniting button. Leave the flame on for 7 minutes and presto you have the coals a going. In another 7 minutes I’m ready to spread the coals and start a grillin’.

Got one for fathers day years back and I use it all the time. Here is a link to one below.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/charcoal/cg.aspx

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:45 AM

If you’re look for connivance, which the propane models offer, but want the flavor consider the Weber charcoal igniting grill.

It’s basically a Weber that has a propane-connected tube inserted into the chamber. All you do is pile the charcoal over the grate where the tube is below…. Turn on the gas and push an igniting button. Leave the flame on for 7 minutes and presto you have the coals a going. In another 7 minutes I’m ready to spread the coals and start a grillin’.

Got one for fathers day years back and I use it all the time. Here is a link to one below but this one has a porcelain chamber and lid which mine does not. Wish I did because with porcelain it never dries out the meat especially when you cook chicken or a turkey.

Real BBQ purists DO use charcoal (or more correctly, wood).

But a Weber charcoal grill is just that, a GRILL. It is not BBQ.

Goapics1
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=htismaqe]My wife likes her steaks well done. I like mine medium to rare.
[QUOTE]
Ditto brotha'. Same in my household. :thumb:

KCTitus
06-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Real BBQ purists DO use charcoal (or more correctly, wood).

But a Weber charcoal grill is just that, a GRILL. It is not BBQ.

yeah, BBQing and grilling are two different things...

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 10:51 AM

Got one for fathers day years back and I use it all the time. Here is a link to one below.

I should also mention that I believe real BBQ purists use lump charcoal, not briquettes.

6 Iron
06-10-2005, 11:20 AM

The egg has four disadvantages:1) price, 2) a roughly 15 minute interval between lighting the coals, and having them ready to cook on, 3) occasionally having difficulty finding natural charcoal, and 4) the cooking surface is too small for groups larger than 6-8, or at least for them to eat simultaneously.

But for moist meat cooked slowly with a nice natural charcoal flavor, or well-seared steaks at 600+ degrees F, it is hard to beat. Because of the easily and accurately controlled temperature, I have no fear in grilling more expensive meat, like a beef tenderloin.

6 Iron
06-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Alton Brown made on using two big terra cotta flower pots inverted on one another, a hot plate, a pie tin for wood, a grate, and a meat thermometer. $40.

Interesting. I would suspect that you can only use this for smoking and lower temperature cooking, however.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 11:35 AM
The egg has four disadvantages:1) price, 2) a roughly 15 minute interval between lighting the coals, and having them ready to cook on, 3) occasionally having difficulty finding natural charcoal, and 4) the cooking surface is too small for groups larger than 6-8, or at least for them to eat simultaneously.

But for moist meat cooked slowly with a nice natural charcoal flavor, or well-seared steaks at 600+ degrees F, it is hard to beat. Because of the easily and accurately controlled temperature, I have no fear in grilling more expensive meat, like a beef tenderloin.

1) that's not a disadvantage, it's a caveat ;)

2) that's part of natural cooking/BBQ, it's not unique to the egg

3) really? I buy pretty decent natural lump at 3 or 4 places. Ironically, the highest quality stuff comes from WAL-MART. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag10.htm

4) that's really you're one and only problem right there

Baby Lee
06-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Interesting. I would suspect that you can only use this for smoking and lower temperature cooking, however.
That's what he was using it for. I dunno whether or not the terra cotta would hold up if you substituted another smaller grate and charcoal/wood for the hot plate configuration. Seems like it should, but I'd hate to turn out wrong. Maybe if you dug a hole and put the lower pot in the ground. But then you'd have to arrange for airflow to the hole at the bottom.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 11:37 AM
FYI, that Wal-Mart brand of lump is made by Royal Oak, who also makes the Green Egg name-brand lump.

6 Iron
06-10-2005, 11:51 AM
1) that's not a disadvantage, it's a caveat ;)

2) that's part of natural cooking/BBQ, it's not unique to the egg

3) really? I buy pretty decent natural lump at 3 or 4 places. Ironically, the highest quality stuff comes from WAL-MART. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag10.htm

4) that's really you're one and only problem right there

1) I would say that it is disadvantageous to have less money in your pocket. Eggs are pretty expensive relative to similarly sized propane and conventional charcoal grill.

2) I should have specified with respect to propane.

3) Wal Mart is also my site of choice for buying coal, but I always buy 2-3 bags when I find it, because they are often out. Perhaps because there are a lot of propane grillers up here in the Northland, and they do not keep the natural charcoal stocked as well as in your locale.

4) Yep.

6 Iron
06-10-2005, 11:54 AM
FYI, that Wal-Mart brand of lump is made by Royal Oak, who also makes the Green Egg name-brand lump.

Nice pearl. The Green Egg brand is way too expensive.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-10-2005, 11:54 AM
OK... I know everybody's got their preferences... so vote. I'm making it a private poll, so nobody will know how you voted, so be honest. Some people CLAIM charcoal but are closet propane users.
I honestly couldn't give less of a crap what my meat is cooked on as long as it's cooked. I've never been able to taste a difference.

My grill is propane btw.

Robio9
06-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Alton Brown also states that propane is absolutely useless for smoking meat. I haven't verified this, but according to him, one byproduct from burning propane is water vapor which can act as a barrier on the surface of the meat, preventing smoke from permeating as easily.

htismaqe
06-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Alton Brown also states that propane is absolutely useless for smoking meat. I haven't verified this, but according to him, one byproduct from burning propane is water vapor which can act as a barrier on the surface of the meat, preventing smoke from permeating as easily.

That's interesting. Burning most hydrocarbons will give off some H2O, though, including charcoal briquettes.

Phobia
06-10-2005, 12:42 PM
I honestly couldn't give less of a crap what my meat is cooked on as long as it's cooked. I've never been able to taste a difference.

My grill is propane btw.

Your last statement explains the first.