PDA

View Full Version : Az Hakim agrees to oral agreement

Fire Me Boy!
06-11-2005, 01:06 AM
RECEIVER reaCHES ORAL AGREEMENT WITH KC

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11869842.htm

Chiefs appear to be on the road to Az

After a quick visit with an old friend, Az-Zahir Hakim decided he wanted to be a Chief.

The speedy receiver, who played for Dick Vermeil’s 1999-2000 Super Bowl champion team in St. Louis, has reached an oral agreement with the Chiefs, a source close to the situation said Friday night. Hakim is expected to be in Kansas City for next weekend’s minicamp.

Hakim had other options — he took a trip to New Orleans earlier this month — but the opportunity to play for Vermeil again attracted him to Kansas City, the source said. Hakim caught 31 passes for 533 yards for the Lions last season but was cut when they drafted Mike Williams.

Although he never evolved into the receiver Detroit wanted, he thrived in Vermeil’s offense in his days as a Ram and is expected to make a quick transition with former teammate Trent Green at quarterback.

The Chiefs were bargain-shopping for a receiver to play opposite Eddie Kennison after they cut Johnnie Morton last week. Hakim, who is 5 feet 10 and 185 pounds, is similar in stature to Samie Parker, the expected starter.

When reached earlier Friday, Vermeil said he wanted what was best for Hakim.

“I would love to have him here,” he said, “but I don’t want to overstate the case to him and talk him into doing something if he has a better deal somewhere else. If (his plans) include the Kansas City Chiefs, I’m excited. I know this young man really well. He’s already done a great job for me.”

Vermeil couldn’t be reached for comment late Friday.

Rausch
06-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Az Hakim agrees to oral agreement

Perhaps I should have Perterson and Thumb negotiate my next vacation with the girlfriend...

Rausch
06-11-2005, 01:09 AM
WTF anyone would want to play for the Saints is beyond me.

They have a stud QB, HB, and HC, bout outside of that they've got pretty much nothing.

bricks
06-11-2005, 01:12 AM
RECEIVER reaCHES ORAL AGREEMENT WITH KC

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11869842.htm

Chiefs appear to be on the road to Az

After a quick visit with an old friend, Az-Zahir Hakim decided he wanted to be a Chief.

The speedy receiver, who played for Dick Vermeil’s 1999-2000 Super Bowl champion team in St. Louis, has reached an oral agreement with the Chiefs, a source close to the situation said Friday night. Hakim is expected to be in Kansas City for next weekend’s minicamp.

Hakim had other options — he took a trip to New Orleans earlier this month — but the opportunity to play for Vermeil again attracted him to Kansas City, the source said. Hakim caught 31 passes for 533 yards for the Lions last season but was cut when they drafted Mike Williams.

Although he never evolved into the receiver Detroit wanted, he thrived in Vermeil’s offense in his days as a Ram and is expected to make a quick transition with former teammate Trent Green at quarterback.

The Chiefs were bargain-shopping for a receiver to play opposite Eddie Kennison after they cut Johnnie Morton last week. Hakim, who is 5 feet 10 and 185 pounds, is similar in stature to Samie Parker, the expected starter.

When reached earlier Friday, Vermeil said he wanted what was best for Hakim.

“I would love to have him here,” he said, “but I don’t want to overstate the case to him and talk him into doing something if he has a better deal somewhere else. If (his plans) include the Kansas City Chiefs, I’m excited. I know this young man really well. He’s already done a great job for me.”

Vermeil couldn’t be reached for comment late Friday.

I had a great feeling this would happen. I even said it on this BB. I have come to use my intuition 2x on this BB, and I think I am gonna use it more.

Fire Me Boy!
06-11-2005, 01:13 AM
I had a great feeling this would happen. I even said it on this BB. I have come to use my intuition 2x on this BB, and I think I am gonna use it more.
I can't say I'm surprised... and I'm not upset, hell competition is a good thing. And we NEED depth... and as the story says, he thrived in this system in STL. Maybe he's just a guy that needs this system.

bricks
06-11-2005, 01:16 AM
I can't say I'm surprised... and I'm not upset, hell competition is a good thing. And we NEED depth... and as the story says, he thrived in this system in STL. Maybe he's just a guy that needs this system.

This signing reminds me of Kennison. I think it will turn out that way. I have a good feeling about it.

The Bad Guy
06-11-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm damn happy. We have tons of speed on the outside.

bricks
06-11-2005, 01:18 AM

How fast is Az Hakim's 40 time? Anyone on the planet know?

Fire Me Boy!
06-11-2005, 01:20 AM

Hakim said his 40-time was fast as 4.28 seconds upon leaving San Diego State in 1998.

The Bad Guy
06-11-2005, 01:20 AM

It's probably around a 4.4-4.5, but the thing is he's quick in the slot.

Parker, Kennison, Az, Dante..

Good lord, it will be a track meet.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-11-2005, 01:22 AM

I think it's just that he needs the system, IMO.

Priest was good, but he wasn't Priest until he got into a system that he fit into; one that portrayed his strengths. Bmore was a definite no.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Just as I mentioned in another thread...

the rich get richer with this signing.

bricks
06-11-2005, 01:26 AM
It's probably around a 4.4-4.5, but the thing is he's quick in the slot.

Parker, Kennison, Az, Dante..

Good lord, it will be a track meet.

Know what though?..Those receivers you just mentioned are a bit small in size. Don't get me wrong they will make excellent slot receivers. The question is, can they line up against big physical CB's? We will see. the only big WR we have on our roster right now is Boerighter. I'm just worried that these guys won't pan out when it comes time to play against the big physical CB's. It is something to think about, and definately a concern.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Know what though?..Those receivers you just mentioned are a bit small in size. Don't get me wrong they will make excellent slot receivers. The question is, can they line up against big physical CB's? We will see. the only big WR we have on our roster right now is Boerighter. I'm just worried that these guys won't pan out when it comes time to play against the big physical CB's. It is something to think about, and definately a concern.

The rule now being emphasized will play to our WRs advantage, though. They will get off the line, after being messed with, but the refs won't allow them to be "Ty Lawed", like Harrison and Wayne were in the AFCC game a couple years ago. Advantage--us.

bricks
06-11-2005, 01:32 AM
The rule now being emphasized will play to our WRs advantage, though. They will get off the line, after being messed with, but the refs won't allow them to be "Ty Lawed", like Harrison and Wayne were in the AFCC game a couple years ago. Advantage--us.

True..That is a very good point. Never thought of it that way.

The Bad Guy
06-11-2005, 01:33 AM

Kennison is a fairly big receiver.

And Morton was no big receiver either. If Morton was 6'5 and gave us all these matchup problems then I would say you're right.

But look at the Pats receivers, none of them are big with the exception of Givens.

The Chiefs have plenty of size at TE. Az is more like a 4th receiver or even 5th with the way they use the RB and Gonzo.

bricks
06-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Kennison is a fairly big receiver.

And Morton was no big receiver either. If Morton was 6'5 and gave us all these matchup problems then I would say you're right.

But look at the Pats receivers, none of them are big with the exception of Givens.

The Chiefs have plenty of size at TE. Az is more like a 4th receiver or even 5th with the way they use the RB and Gonzo.

Kennison is about 6'. Which is about average for WR. Johnnie is the same as Kennison, 6'.

*Az is also a back up punt returner. And I assume DV will put him with Dante for kickoff return duties.

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 01:39 AM
The Chiefs have plenty of size at TE. Az is more like a 4th receiver or even 5th with the way they use the RB and Gonzo.That's exactly it. Size at WR isn't really all that poignant when you have Gonzalez, Dunn and Wilson all involved. It's not like we're running a WCO either, our receivers aren't running routes looking for jump balls, they're looking for separation and YAC. I'm not a huge fan of Hakim (mainly because he's an ex-lamb) but this is the first time since the new staff arrived that they've had a stable of "their" kind of receivers.

bricks
06-11-2005, 01:46 AM
i must say with this signing I give Carl Peterson a loud applause :clap: :clap:
what a great off-season: Surtain, Knight, C.Hall, K.Bell, D.johnson, and Az Hakim. I bet we dreamed of something like this before the off-season started.
Now, go out and sign your draft picks Carl!

Mecca
06-11-2005, 02:02 AM

They have a stud QB, HB, and HC, bout outside of that they've got pretty much nothing.

Well they have Joe Horn who's become a pretty damn good WR. Also Dante Stallworth who's a very talented young WR. So Az would probably have no shot of starting there.......

htismaqe
06-11-2005, 05:14 AM
That's exactly it. Size at WR isn't really all that poignant when you have Gonzalez, Dunn and Wilson all involved. It's not like we're running a WCO either, our receivers aren't running routes looking for jump balls, they're looking for separation and YAC. I'm not a huge fan of Hakim (mainly because he's an ex-lamb) but this is the first time since the new staff arrived that they've had a stable of "their" kind of receivers.

Not only that, but the "big, physical corners" like Champ Bailey have been covering Gonzales as of late.

the Talking Can
06-11-2005, 05:40 AM
This is an excellent pick up.

Solid vet who knows the system and the coaches. Insurance in case Parker isn't ready or a WR goes down. Insurance on special teams in case Dante gets injured.

Playoff experience.

Not Freddie Mitchell.

I think Trent will love having Kennison, Parker, and Hakim on the field at the same time. And unlike in Detroit he'll be the 3rd or 4th or 5th option on any given play. And he'll have a good QB behind a good OL.

This has been a perfect offseason. For once, it seems like the fans were GM.

the Talking Can
06-11-2005, 05:57 AM
funny stuff...according to the thread time stamp, Fire Me Boy "broke" the story at 1:06 am.....Nick Athan "broke" the story to his paying, premium members at 1:18 am....just another reason you should all run - not walk! - to warpaint and sign up for his pricy, but unrivaled insider information....or Fire Me Boy should start charging for his google searches...

CoMoChief
06-11-2005, 06:38 AM

Aaron Brooks is far from being the "stud" he once was.

ChiefsFanatik88
06-11-2005, 07:43 AM

Speed won't do anybody any good if they can't catch the ball. I remember a team from the Chiefs division that tried to have the fastest receivers and they couldn't catch the ball for shit.

Hopefully, not gonna happen in this case.

Bwana
06-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Aaron Brooks is far from being the "stud" he once was.

I would have to agree. Million dollar arm, 10 cent head. From what I have seen of him, he will look like Joe Montana one game and Kordell Stewart the next. A real Jeckel and Hyde with no consistency.

TRR
06-11-2005, 07:58 AM
A lot of posters have Az Hakim penciled in as the slot WR, but I really believe he will beat out Parker for the starting spot when it's all said and done.

Hopefully they can get him signed quickly.

Fire Me Boy!
06-11-2005, 08:10 AM
funny stuff...according to the thread time stamp, Fire Me Boy "broke" the story at 1:06 am.....Nick Athan "broke" the story to his paying, premium members at 1:18 am....just another reason you should all run - not walk! - to warpaint and sign up for his pricy, but unrivaled insider information....or Fire Me Boy should start charging for his google searches...
Actually, I just know that the Star posts their stories at 2 a.m. Central time... so at 2 a.m. I logged on... no google searches.

Dammit! I shouldn't have said that...

Nevermind...

You all owe me $4. Send me a PM and I'll give you PayPal instructions...

Red Dawg
06-11-2005, 08:28 AM
This is good news and I for one welcome Hakim. He will be a bad ass in this offense once again.

PHOG
06-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Now, if someone could get Hicks' head out of :deevee: 's ass, this would be the perfect (on paper) off season.

:)

KChiefs1
06-11-2005, 08:41 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/386624.html

Hakim and Chiefs Reach Agreement

By Nick Athan Publisher
Date: Dec 11, 2005

It didn’t take long for the Kansas City Chiefs to find a replacement for Johnnie Morton. Late Friday evening they reportedly secured the future rights to wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim. The former St. Louis Rams and Detroit Lions wide receiver spurned an offer from the New Orleans Saints to be reunited with Head Coach Dick Vermeil and Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders.

According to the KC Star in Saturday mornings on-line addition, Az-Zahir Hakim agreed to a contract late last night. Warpaint Illustrated has confirmed that if all the contract items are finalized this weekend, Hakim should be at OTA’s this week and will participate at the Chiefs mandated mini-camp scheduled for next weekend in Kansas City.

Hakim is likely to battle for the third wide receiver slot behind Eddie Kennison and second year man Samie Parker. Kennison is coming off a career year in 2004 and Parker has been the best offensive player at OTA’s. If Parker can stay healthy, he would give the Chiefs a dimension of speed that Kansas City has never been able to develop under Vermeil outside of Kennison.

Thus Hakim will compete for playing time with Marc Boerigter, who’s recovering from double knee surgery, fourth round draft pick Craphonso Thorpe, who has his best of work last week and MR. OTA Richard Smith. With the addition of Hakim, Dante Hall could be relegated to special teams duty only and that’s been an off-season goal of the Chiefs. As previously mentioned, Hall has struggled in his return game the last year and a half; the primary reason is the teams’ reliance to get him more involved in the offense. Hall just can’t be a productive return man if he’s taking a regular turn in the offensive rotation.

Hakim comes to the Chiefs after three relatively unproductive seasons in Detroit. Like the man he replaced in Kansas City, Johnnie Morton, he languished with the Lions who ran an offense that didn’t suit the talents of Hakim. Learning the Chiefs offense won’t be much of a challenge for Hakim. He played under Vermeil for two years and under offensive coordinator Al Sanders for three years in St. Louis.

In fact his best year in the NFL came in the Rams Super Bowl Championship season back in 1999. He scored eight touchdowns while averaging nearly 19 yards per catch. Though he only caught 36 passes that year; he was a valued playmaker on the team that was generally referred to as ‘The Greatest Show on Turf’ by sportswriters around the country.

He left the Rams after the 2001 NFL season and headed to Detroit where the Lions gave him a lucrative contract; one that surprised many around the league. But Hakim never developed into the starter that many had thought would happen when he left the Rams. In 2003, Hakim managed only four touchdown receptions, though he caught 49 passes; he averaged only 9.8 yards per catch. He also developed a case of the drops and turned the ball over three times as he battled himself within an inconsistent offense. Last season for the Lions he caught only 31 balls and scored three touchdowns in just 12 games.

But those stats mean very little for him in Kansas City. He won’t be asked to be the go-to guy and that’s the role he excelled in at St. Louis; so it’s doubtful that the Chiefs would use him in any other way. But he will be counted on to bring some veteran leadership to a wide receiver core that’s very young but talented. Outside of Kennison, no other receiver on the roster has started an NFL game outside of Boerigter who started two games back in the 2002 season.

It’s far too early to determine if Hakim can position himself as a starting wide receiver on this talented offense but his presence should definitely increase the competition for playing time amongst the receivers on the roster heading into training camp in late July.

This move gives the Chiefs some insurance if players like Parker, Thorpe and Smith don’t get the chance to develop their game this season. They won’t have the pressure to play above their capabilities and won’t be thrown into the fire before their ready; that might not be a bad thing for this team. With Hakim on the roster, they’ll be able to take time to develop their game and if they become better players with a veteran ahead of them, then it’s a win-win situation for the Chiefs.

There is little doubt based on the heated and passionate workouts of the OTA’s thus far this off-season; that Kansas City is hell bent on putting together its most talented roster in team history. With the addition of Hakim, the Chiefs are shoring up one of the teams question marks heading into the 2005 season. Granted Hakim comes with major question marks but the rewards clearly out way any risks of adding the veteran receiver.

The decision to drop Morton was a no-brainier and the decision to add Hakim makes complete sense for the Chiefs. Dick Vermeil was the one pushing for Hakim and after all the talented additions on defense this off-season, he did not want to go into training camp without a veteran receiver on the roster after the release of Morton.

Still it remains to be seen if Hakim can stay healthy and be a productive member of the Chiefs offense. Fortunately he won’t have too much pressure on him and if Kansas City can get any production out of him or he pushes the young receivers; the move to sign Hakim could end up being one of the Chiefs most important acquisitions of the off-season.

Sure-Oz
06-11-2005, 08:48 AM
More speed, he will likely thrive in his role.

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Alas! Further Ramifization of the Chiefs. Somewhere, KCJ sobs softly.

KChiefs1
06-11-2005, 08:59 AM
actually, it's just replacing one former Lion with another one isn't it?

PHOG
06-11-2005, 09:04 AM
actually, it's just replacing one former Lion with another one isn't it?

With that train of thought, we could have 3 former 1st rounders..

In 10 years.

beavis
06-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Not Freddie Mitchell.
This is the part I like the most.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-11-2005, 09:10 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/386624.html

Hakim and Chiefs Reach Agreement

By Nick Athan Publisher
Date: Dec 11, 2005

Athan has improved

Deberg_1990
06-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Alas! Further Ramifization of the Chiefs. Somewhere, KCJ sobs softly.

True, lets hope hes not the 2nd coming of Tony Horne.

Mr. Laz
06-11-2005, 10:51 AM
he's a little bigger than i thought ... at least he's listed as being bigger

Hakim, Az-Zahir DET WR 5'10" 189lbs, 06/03/1977

philfree
06-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Insurance for DVs last run....if indeed that's what it turns out to be.

I was really wanting Paker to get a full ration of playing time but Az will fit right in and if we have injuries to a WR he'll be the kind of depth we need. He'll make some big plays for us this year I have no doubt. Our offense will continue to kill :clap:

PhilFree:arrow:

Logical
06-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Hakim caught 31 passes for 533 yards for the Lions last season but was cut when they drafted Mike Williams.

Cool we have replaced Johnny Johnson with Ali Kazaam

bricks
06-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Cool we have replaced Johnny Johnson with Ali Kazaam

One ex-detroit lions wr replacing another...What is it with our fascination for Detroit Lions WR's....I hope this leads to us getting either Roy Williams, Mike Williams, or Charles Rogers..lol

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 12:27 PM
What kind of name is that? Is this guy Iranian?

beer bacon
06-11-2005, 12:28 PM

Irish-Dutch actually.

bricks
06-11-2005, 12:29 PM

It sounds like his name is Muslim

Fire Me Boy!
06-11-2005, 02:10 PM
he's a little bigger than i thought ... at least he's listed as being bigger

Hakim, Az-Zahir DET WR 5'10" 189lbs, 06/03/1977
From what I've read, 5'10" is wishful thinking. I think DV even said in an interview early last week that he knows he's listed at 5'10" but is really 5'9"... FWIW.

Spicy McHaggis
06-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I guarantee this right now, if we sign Hakim and he has a decent game DV will say "Az is the fastest guy on the team."

Last year we had like 4 fastest guys on the team. Amazing.

Fire Me Boy!
06-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I guarantee this right now, if we sign Hakim and he has a decent game DV will say "Az is the fastest guy on the team."

Actually, straightline speed, I think Az is faster than Dante... but I think Dante's quicker. I could be wrong.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Updated: June 11, 2005, 2:59 PM ET

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2083014

Hakim is expected to have a quick assimilation to the Chiefs offense, catching balls from former teammate Trent Green (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2547). Hakim will likely be penciled in as the third starter behind Eddie Kennison (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3519) and Samie Parker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6864).

tk13
06-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Actually, straightline speed, I think Az is faster than Dante... but I think Dante's quicker. I could be wrong.
I think Parker's faster than all of them. That's the guy DV said that about... he was a track star at Oregon...

DaKCMan AP
06-11-2005, 04:07 PM
I think the best thing about this signing is it will lessen the need for Dante Hall to play WR so he can stay healthier and fresher during the game to break returns.

milkman
06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Speed won't do anybody any good if they can't catch the ball. I remember a team from the Chiefs division that tried to have the fastest receivers and they couldn't catch the ball for shit.

Hopefully, not gonna happen in this case.

Eddie and Az will drop a few, but not hopefully thaey'll be able to keep the drops to a minimum.
From what we saw of Samie last season, he looks like he is pretty sure handed.
And of course, we know what Tony and Priest are capable of.

I wasn't a proponent of signing Az, but now that he's in the mix (it appears), I say, let the track meet begin!

milkman
06-11-2005, 05:00 PM
A lot of posters have Az Hakim penciled in as the slot WR, but I really believe he will beat out Parker for the starting spot when it's all said and done.

Hopefully they can get him signed quickly.

I'm betting on Parker.
Az has never been a solid receiver in any role other than the slot.

BigMeatballDave
06-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Perhaps I should have Perterson and Thumb negotiate my next vacation with the girlfriend...
ROFL

Wallcrawler
06-11-2005, 05:21 PM
As far as drops go, he most likely wont drop any more than Morton did. For all of the people who wanted Morton retained, they shouldnt have much to complain about. Az is younger, faster, has thrived in this system before, and has a much better attitude.

What isnt to like?

Parker will likely be the starter, but if he cant get it done, we have Hakim to fall back on.

This offense now has the ability to hit the home run ball on any down with the speed that these receivers have. Tony Gonzalez fills the role of the "Big Physical Receiver."

The way I see it, we have two receivers with no size disadvantage in Kennison and Gonzalez, and then two smaller, very fast receivers in Parker and Hakim.

It looks pretty balanced to me. Throw in our impressive running attack that will feature the two headed monster of Holmes and Johnson, and I really dont see what there is to complain about.

milkman
06-11-2005, 05:28 PM
As far as drops go, he most likely wont drop any more than Morton did. For all of the people who wanted Morton retained, they shouldnt have much to complain about. Az is younger, faster, has thrived in this system before, and has a much better attitude.

What isnt to like?

Parker will likely be the starter, but if he cant get it done, we have Hakim to fall back on.

This offense now has the ability to hit the home run ball on any down with the speed that these receivers have. Tony Gonzalez fills the role of the "Big Physical Receiver."

The way I see it, we have two receivers with no size disadvantage in Kennison and Gonzalez, and then two smaller, very fast receivers in Parker and Hakim.

It looks pretty balanced to me. Throw in our impressive running attack that will feature the two headed monster of Holmes and Johnson, and I really dont see what there is to complain about.

It's not football season yet.
That's what there is to complain about! :cuss:

chief4life
06-11-2005, 05:32 PM
I think the best thing about this signing is it will lessen the need for Dante Hall to play WR so he can stay healthier and fresher during the game to break returns.

I was thinking the same thing :thumb: Im excited about this signing he is going to flourish in this offense :clap:

B_Ambuehl
06-11-2005, 05:33 PM

hahaha...good call. I remember all that talk too.

DV in October: Eddie Kennison might be the fastest player on this team...he can really get down the field and run.

DV a couple of weeks later: Dexter McCleon is really a shut-down corner...they're trying to put men like him out of business but I have confidence in him....he might be the fastest player on this team.

DV in December: Larry Johnson showed what he can do out there. He's a breakaway back...when he gets through the hole and out in the open field he might be the fastest player on this team.

I think there's one more that I'm forgetting but I can't wait to here what he says about "the fastest guy" this year. :)

milkman
06-11-2005, 05:39 PM
hahaha...good call. I remember all that talk too.

DV in October: Eddie Kennison might be the fastest player on this team...he can really get down the field and run.

DV a couple of weeks later: Dexter McCleon is really a shut-down corner...they're trying to put men like him out of business but I have confidence in him....he might be the fastest player on this team.

DV in December: Larry Johnson showed what he can do out there. He's a breakaway back...when he gets through the hole and out in the open field he might be the fastest player on this team.

I think there's one more that I'm forgetting but I can't wait to here what he says about "the fastest guy" this year. :)

Well, you'll really know he's reached the height of senilty if he ever proclaims:

"I think Willie Roaf might be the fastest guy on this team!". :)

patteeu
06-11-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm happy about this signing, BUT...

Hakim has had fumbling problems in the past. I hope he has grown out of them.

jspchief
06-11-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm betting on Parker.
Az has never been a solid receiver in any role other than the slot.

As compared to Parker, who has been a solid receiver?

Nothing against him, but the guy had 9 catches. I'm not sure how everyone got such a high opinion of a guy that has only played in 3 games, and only actually excelled in one of them.

Bowser
06-11-2005, 06:05 PM

Nothing against him, but the guy had 9 catches. I'm not sure how everyone got such a high opinion of a guy that has only played in 3 games, and only actually excelled in one of them.

Yeah, but his coming out game was against the Broncos. That has got to mean something.........

Wile_E_Coyote
06-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Hakim, 7 years in the league, all with a dome team. It was used as an excuse for Morton. No problem with Az?

Alphaman
06-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Let's be fair. Yes he had 1 big game, but he made some very big catches in those other games....3rd down catches on the sidelines

TRR
06-11-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm happy about this signing, BUT...

Hakim has had fumbling problems in the past. I hope he has grown out of them.

He's had 1 fumble in the last 3 years.

milkman
06-11-2005, 07:21 PM

As I've said in the last couple of weeks, my opinion is based not only on those 3 games, in which he showed us that he has outstanding hands, as well as outstanding speed, but on Trent Green's excitement about his development, as well.

If Samie Parker can't beat Az out for the #2 spot, then all we've done is traded Johnnie Johnson for a lesser receiver with more speed.

Coach
06-11-2005, 07:22 PM
As I've said in the last couple of weeks, my opinion is based not only on those 3 games, in which he showed us that he has outstanding hands, as well as outstanding speed, but on Trent Green's excitement about his development, as well.

If Samie Parker can't beat Az out for the #2 spot, then all we've done is traded Johnnie Johnson for a lesser receiver with more speed.

And a receiver that won't do the damned worm.

Bowser
06-11-2005, 07:24 PM

He can do the Alligator for all I care, as long as he holds on to the ****in ball!!!!

milkman
06-11-2005, 07:25 PM

There is that! :clap:

patteeu
06-11-2005, 10:14 PM
He's had 1 fumble in the last 3 years.

Good, maybe that means he has grown out of it. He had 9 during his 4 years as a Ram. Of course, some of those came as a punt returner so maybe he hasn't had as much problem as a WR. I just remember one season (I think it was the year after the Ram's won it all), a lot of my Ram-fan friends were really down on the guy for a few critical fumbles and when he left for Detroit, they used that point as a way to rationalize the loss and convince themselves that it might not be such a big loss.

But disturbingly, as I was looking for his fumble statistics from his Ram years, I found that he really had a problem with drops in Detroit. He dropped a far larger percentage of his passes than Morton did. In fact, Morton did a really good job last year, only dropping 3 passes out of the 79 that were thrown his way. Hakim dropped 10 out of the 57 thrown his way. Yikes! (I'm going to make myself forget this stat and assume that Trent Green's sweet passes will stick to his fingers like glue).

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 10:17 PM
But disturbingly, as I was looking for his fumble statistics from his Ram years, I found that he really had a problem with drops in Detroit. He dropped a far larger percentage of his passes than Morton did. In fact, Morton did a really good job last year, only dropping 3 passes out of the 79 that were thrown his way. Hakim dropped 10 out of the 57 thrown his way. Yikes! (I'm going to make myself forget this stat and assume that Trent Green's sweet passes will stick to his fingers like glue).I wouldn't overthink it, just see what happens. Plus, having chumps like Mike McMahon and Harrington throwing flailing ducks your way isn't good for anybody's stats.

patteeu
06-11-2005, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't overthink it, just see what happens. Plus, having chumps like Mike McMahon and Harrington throwing flailing ducks your way isn't good for anybody's stats.

That's my plan. It just jumped out at me since Morton's reputation around here for dropping passes was pretty bad. I was just as surprised to see how few Morton dropped although I guess the rap comes mainly from the 2003 playoff game.

patteeu
06-11-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm still happy about the signing. It just gives our WR corps another guy to compete for the roster spots which is good. And he was effective for the Rams so I'm good with it.

jspchief
06-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Where did you find stats on his drops?

patteeu
06-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Where did you find stats on his drops?

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/index.asp

Use the search function to find the receiver and then look at the very bottom of the page.

Chiefaholic
06-11-2005, 11:19 PM
It's hard to imagine the Chief offense could actually be better than last year. It'll be impossible for a team to come up with a plan to stop us from scoring. Kennison, Hakim, Parker, and Hall can stretch the field. Gonzo, Wilson, and Boe can go over the middle and fight for position. And our O-Line will be tearing new A-Holes against defenses for Holmes and Johnson with Richardson leading the way...... :drool: Who's to say we won't be good enough to beat the average score of "The greatest show on Turf" a few years back?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm making a trip to KC next Saturday just to get a glimps of what this offense will look like against what looks to be a much improved defense. The season can't come soon enough...

bricks
06-11-2005, 11:24 PM
The season can't come soon enough...

Oh it's coming.... :sulk: the hard part is having to wait for 3 months. You we're getting me pumped btw.

keg in kc
06-12-2005, 12:31 AM
It's hard to imagine the Chief offense could actually be better than last year. It'll be impossible for a team to come up with a plan to stop us from scoring. Kennison, Hakim, Parker, and Hall can stretch the field. Gonzo, Wilson, and Boe can go over the middle and fight for position. The cool thing is that Gonzalez and Wilson aren't prototypical tight ends, so they aren't limited to just going over the middle and fighting for position. Both of them are able to stretch the field, too, especially if a team decides to try to cover them with linebackers. I thought Wilson was potentially an integral addition to the unit last offseason, and I think his injury hurt. This year he should be full speed (in terms of playbook) and I think he's going to cause DC's nightmares. The idea of having two TEs able to lineup anywhere on the field along with a pair of WRs with homerun speed and a back in the backfield capable of big gains receiving or running. All running with a line that's capable of stonewalling your defense (the line's my biggest concern this year, actually).

Jesus. How do you stop that?

And that's just one package. Swap out receivers for backs, ends for receivers, receivers for ends, virtually all of them weapons.

Damn.

The line's the key, though.

htismaqe
06-12-2005, 04:51 AM
It's hard to imagine the Chief offense could actually be better than last year. It'll be impossible for a team to come up with a plan to stop us from scoring. Kennison, Hakim, Parker, and Hall can stretch the field. Gonzo, Wilson, and Boe can go over the middle and fight for position. And our O-Line will be tearing new A-Holes against defenses for Holmes and Johnson with Richardson leading the way...... :drool: Who's to say we won't be good enough to beat the average score of "The greatest show on Turf" a few years back?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm making a trip to KC next Saturday just to get a glimps of what this offense will look like against what looks to be a much improved defense. The season can't come soon enough...

I don't know. The defense last year was stoppable. There were several games where we just couldn't move the ball for shit.