PDA

View Full Version : your comfort level at backup QB

Wile_E_Coyote
06-11-2005, 07:55 AM
you can't have a team stacked at every postion. If Trent goes down to injury how's your comfort level on a scale of 1-10:

1=we're DOOMED

5= we'll get by

10=Collins is better than Green

Rausch
06-11-2005, 08:41 AM
0dd T0dd is the man...

Mi_chief_fan
06-11-2005, 09:05 AM
I've never felt comfortable with Collins as backup....I guess because I watched him suck so bad at U-M when he was there.

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-11-2005, 09:07 AM
I'd be fine as long as Trent is playing and I'm holding the clipboard.

But man, if he went down or they sent me in for mop-up, I'd absolutely shit my pants.

Those guys are twice my size and half my age. I'd be lucky to complete a hand-off.

Dinny

Hammock Parties
06-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm pretty comfortable for five reasons:

Wile_E_Coyote
06-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Priest & Gonzo as well

Deberg_1990
06-11-2005, 09:19 AM
IM sure Collins could come in a win a game or two if we relied on our running game. He couldnt win in the playoffs though. Come to think of it, Green has never won a playoff game either???

Braincase
06-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Collins has been a starter, and it was very early in his career. He's been working with the best offense in football, and getting 30-40% of the snaps in practice. He knows what he is, and I'd bet with even a modest growth in maturity, he'll be ready when we have to go to him.

Zebedee DuBois
06-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I can't even remember who our 3rd stringer QB is.

I know we had Pickle Man II (Clausen) in camp last year.

Brock
06-11-2005, 10:07 AM
We've gotten by with a stiff for a backup for 10 years, I don't see why anyone would worry about it now.

bricks
06-11-2005, 10:13 AM
alrighty....ok...so, what would you say for #'s 2, 3, 4?......cause that's how i feel if Todd Collins came in and took over if Trent got hurt.

bricks
06-11-2005, 10:14 AM
I can't even remember who our 3rd stringer QB is.

I know we had Pickle Man II (Clausen) in camp last year.'

Damon Huard

Mastashake
06-11-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't like them. I think he does anything. I know it's hard to base this stuff on preaseason games, but he doesn't really do well then (and I'm talking stuff that's just all about him), I have no faith in him winning a game of any importance.

Mastashake

cdcox
06-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Trent has proven to be extremely durable since coming here.

What Collins has shown is that he can do the swing pass to perfection. In fact he goes there too soon. While a key element to our offense, you have to go down field consistently. Teams will clamp down on the run/short passing game if you aren't consistently torching them with the 15-25 yrds to keep them honest. TheOddTodd hasn't shown an aggressive down field attitude, and that would worry me if we had to rely on him.

trndobrd
06-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Todd Collins has the skills and experience to run the offense, but I say we give Trent Green one more go of it.

Bwana
06-11-2005, 11:14 AM
I would give it about a 3. Huge drop off from #1 to #2.

Bowser
06-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Must be Rausch that thinks Collins is better than Green.

Mr. Laz
06-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Collins is better than many give him credit for

bricks
06-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Collins is better than many give him credit for

Actually, you know what? He's been in this offensive system for the past 5 years now. I'm sure that is enough time for him to know it down pact. That's one thing I'm comfortable with in Todd Collins. His knowledge and familiarity with our offense.

Thig Lyfe
06-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Kris Wilson is a fine QB.

patteeu
06-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm as comfortable with Todd Collins as I would be with just about any #2 quarterback in the league. As long as the O-line in front of him is intact, I like his chances of success if Trent goes down.

I voted "8."

Phobia
06-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I don't like them. I think he does anything. I know it's hard to base this stuff on preaseason games, but he doesn't really do well then (and I'm talking stuff that's just all about him), I have no faith in him winning a game of any importance.

Mastashake

How do you figure? Seriously, why would you say his preseason work sucks?

Calcountry
06-11-2005, 06:05 PM
We've gotten by with a stiff for a backup for 10 years, I don't see why anyone would worry about it now.IIRC DeBerg use to be a back up??

Probably our best evr.

Psyko Tek
06-11-2005, 06:15 PM
IM sure Collins could come in a win a game or two if we relied on our running game. He couldnt win in the playoffs though. Come to think of it, Green has never won a playoff game either???

hey isn't gannnon available

jthink about it
i always loved him

milkman
06-11-2005, 07:43 PM
hey isn't gannnon available

jthink about it
i always loved him

I wouldn't want Gannon anywhere near this offense with that weakass noodle arm of his, even in his prime.

Gannon is a west coast offense QB.

He would be mediocre, at best, in this O.

As for Collins, he looked like a kid with some potential that Buffalo gave up on entirely too soon.
But he's rarely seen the field in years, which doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence, in a short term situation.

chagrin
06-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I've never felt comfortable with Collins as backup....I guess because I watched him suck so bad at U-M when he was there.

Not to be picky here about his college days but:

Finished his collegiate career at Michigan with the best career (64.3%) and single-season (65.3% in ’93) completion percentages in school history ... Final collegiate tally read 457 completions on 711 attempts, good for 5,858 yards with 34 TDs and 17 INTs ... Still ranks third at Michigan in career completions, attempts and yardage, while owning the school’s sixth and seventh-best seasonal yardage marks (2,518 in ’94 and 2,509 in ’93) ... Is third on school charts in career rating with a 145.0 mark ... Produced 14 games in which he registered 200+ passing yards, the second-highest total of any player in Wolverines history ... His 2.81 INT percentage remains the second-lowest in team history behind Michael Taylor (2.55)

That aside, he didn't do so well in buffalo, did he? I can't remember but did he last there very long? Still, they've kept him for a while as the # 2 guy, they must like something about him. Hell, I don't know, he should be comfy with the system about now...

P.S. GO BLUE! :p

milkman
06-11-2005, 08:34 PM
That aside, he didn't do so well in buffalo, did he? I can't remember but did he last there very long? Still, they've kept him for a while as the # 2 guy, they must like something about him. Hell, I don't know, he should be comfy with the system about now...

P.S. GO BLUE!

He started for the Bills for one season.
He was in his 2nd or 3rd season, right after Jim Kelly's retirement.
Like most young QBs, he had some struggles, but he also showed some promise, but Buffalo gave up on him after that one season.

I'm not sure what their thinking was, but I was surprised by how quickly that gave up on him.

whoman69
06-11-2005, 09:23 PM
He started for the Bills for one season.
He was in his 2nd or 3rd season, right after Jim Kelly's retirement.
Like most young QBs, he had some struggles, but he also showed some promise, but Buffalo gave up on him after that one season.

I'm not sure what their thinking was, but I was surprised by how quickly that gave up on him.
You're being kind in saying he had troubles. He had a major case of deer in the headlights syndrome. The fact that he hasn't had any real playing time since is tempered by the fact that he has looked good in his occassional stints. If he has to go longer term, I would be nervous, especially knowing Damon Huard is one snap away from being the man.

Dayze
06-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I think he would be ok; however, I don't think we could run our offense 'full-on' as we do with Green. I'm confident Collins' brain could handle the offense, but I don't think he has the physical tools to get EVERYthing done. The offense would need to be tweaked a bit; primarily a more run oriented, clock control/Field Position (see also Marty-ball when we had QB's that couldn't get it done); or very short 4-5 yard routes to supplement the run game.

So....I wouldn't say we're doomed, but I would say we would be a different offense that's for sure.

If something happens where Collins is thrust into the starting QB slot, hopefully DV and Saunders aren't arrogant enought to think they can go on Business As Usual; specifically, I hope DV doesn't think he'll assume another Kurt Warner wonder-season as he did when Green went down before.

1adam1238
06-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Sure makes a person nervous when we start talking about the back up.....but you never know whats going to happen in the NFL.

chagrin
06-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Sure makes a person nervous when we start talking about the back up.....but you never know whats going to happen in the NFL.

What?

milkman
06-12-2005, 12:21 PM
You're being kind in saying he had troubles. He had a major case of deer in the headlights syndrome. The fact that he hasn't had any real playing time since is tempered by the fact that he has looked good in his occassional stints. If he has to go longer term, I would be nervous, especially knowing Damon Huard is one snap away from being the man.

He did take a lot of punishment, but then Peyton Manning, who rarely gets pressured gets rattled anytime a D can get some.

In this O, with our line, Collins won't see the same kind of pressure he saw in Buffalo.
He won't be great, but I think he'll be able to manage the O.
I wouldn't want to have to go into a playoff game with him in there, though.

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Not to be picky here about his college days but:

Finished his collegiate career at Michigan with the best career (64.3%) and single-season (65.3% in ’93) completion percentages in school history ... Final collegiate tally read 457 completions on 711 attempts, good for 5,858 yards with 34 TDs and 17 INTs ... Still ranks third at Michigan in career completions, attempts and yardage, while owning the school’s sixth and seventh-best seasonal yardage marks (2,518 in ’94 and 2,509 in ’93) ... Is third on school charts in career rating with a 145.0 mark ... Produced 14 games in which he registered 200+ passing yards, the second-highest total of any player in Wolverines history ... His 2.81 INT percentage remains the second-lowest in team history behind Michael Taylor (2.55)

P.S. GO BLUE! :p

Wolverine passing records are somewhat misleading because Bo only had his QBs hand off for many years.

Was Grbac a Wolverine?

Dinny

Hammock Parties
06-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Was Grbac a Wolverine?

Yeah, so was Derrick Alexander.

Dayze
06-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah, so was Derrick Alexander.

players from Michigan = Danger

Deberg_1990
06-12-2005, 09:04 PM
players from Michigan = Danger

Hmmmm.....Ever heard of Tom Brady??

nbkc fan
06-12-2005, 09:13 PM
i remember a game against AZ that he torched someone downfield, and they had to pull the reins back on him...at least he knows the offense inside and out...he is the GAZ...

Rain Man
06-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Please don't let Trent get hurt.

whoman69
06-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Wolverine passing records are somewhat misleading because Bo only had his QBs hand off for many years.

Was Grbac a Wolverine?

Dinny
I always wonder why every QB out of Michigan seems to be so highly regarded when they are usually a run first team. They have been going to the air more of late than they did when Bo was there, but except Brady, they haven't really achieved much. Most are so-so once they reach the NFL.