PDA

View Full Version : Will the addition of Az Hakim hurt the developement of our young WR's?

Kylo Ren
06-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Here's my best guess at our starting WR corps:

WR Corps --
Kennison
Parker
Hakim
Boerigter
Smith
Hall
--- I sure hope we keep 6 WRs this season. Also, I hope that Hall is the 5th or 6th WR. He should just concentrate on PR/KR. Hakim is the WR that Vermiel always wanted Hall to be.

PS --
McIntyre
Thorpe

What will happen to Jeris McIntyre, Richard Smith (if DV only keeps 5 WR), Chris Horn, Craphonso Thorpe? I'm not too worried about John Booth, Nathaniel Curry, Darrel Hill. I think they are just camp fodder. Although, we have heard good things about Curry's NFLE performances and Hill's special teams ability.

Horn will just be let go. I guess we could put Thorpe and McIntyre on the PS. But, I'd be worried that anthother team will steal them from us. Smith would be the odd man out once again. I think he's an up and coming WR. It would be a shame to lose him.

I can see the "pros" of signing Hakim and I'm OK with it. However, Hakim is 31 yrs old and he WILL take a young WR's roster spot. Our offense is and old offense. We need to get younger. By signing Hakim, the offense just got older. The "cons" of his signing would be his age and the probability of losing a good young WR.

So, do you think the pros out-weigh the cons with the Hakim signing? What other pros or cons do you think there are? Do you like this signing or not?

nychief
06-11-2005, 09:12 AM
no.

nychief
06-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Also, Hakim is 28.

Deberg_1990
06-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Yep, Horn is definenatly looking like the odd man out at this point. Too bad too, I think he had real potential to develop some more. He will never be a superstar or anything, but he could become a solid possesion guy.

nychief
06-11-2005, 09:15 AM
no.

let me explain. I firmly believe that DV would cut Hakim if he is beaten out for a job by the young guys. These guys have to step up and play. Kennison, Hall, Hakim, Crap, Parker... and possibly Bo or Hill for special team purposes.

redfan
06-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Nope, but I hope DV doesn't give Az too much PT. I'm concerned about DV slobbering all over Az, 'cuz of their previous relationship.

PHOG
06-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Yep, Horn is definenatly looking like the odd man out at this point. Too bad too, I think he had real potential to develop some more. He will never be a superstar or anything, but he could become a solid possesion guy.

If we cut him, it's almost a given that he will have a Phenomenol (sp, almost sounds like a drug) season with whoever picks him up.. :hmmm:

Chiefaholic
06-11-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm hoping Parker learns the offense fast enough to put Hakim as the #3 where he excells. Realistically, I believe Hakim will take the #2 spot. However, it would be nice to see the larger and younger Parker get it instead.

What I'se like to see...

1. Kennison
2. Parker
3. Hakim
4. Boerigtor
5. Hall

I doubt Vermeil will keep 6 WR's considering we have Gammons taking up a ST spot and all the questions on the defensive side of the ball. However, I agree that Smith could make somebody a decent #3 WR and it looks like he's the off man out. If we were going to keep a 6th WR, I'de think it would be Horn because of his ST abilities. It's a pet peeve of Vermeil, that if you're not going to start, you better be able to contribute on ST's.

FloridaMan88
06-11-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm hoping Parker learns the offense fast enough to put Hakim as the #3 where he excells. Realistically, I believe Hakim will take the #2 spot. However, it would be nice to see the larger and younger Parker get it instead.

What I'se like to see...

1. Kennison
2. Parker
3. Hakim
4. Boerigtor
5. Hall

I doubt Vermeil will keep 6 WR's considering we have Gammons taking up a ST spot and all the questions on the defensive side of the ball. However, I agree that Smith could make somebody a decent #3 WR and it looks like he's the off man out. If we were going to keep a 6th WR, I'de think it would be Horn because of his ST abilities. It's a pet peeve of Vermeil, that if you're not going to start, you better be able to contribute on ST's.

I'd say Kennison, Hall, Parker, Hakim are all locks to make the final roster and I'd probably throw Crap Thorpe in there also

Then let Hill, Boerigter, Horn and Smith fight it out for the 6th spot.

PHOG
06-11-2005, 10:01 AM
I'd say Kennison, Hall, Parker, Hakim are all locks to make the final roster and I'd probably throw Crap Thorpe in there also

Then let Hill, Boerigter, Horn and Smith fight it out for the 6th spot.

Man, would I love to see Boerigter really break out this season, but..

I don't really know if he has had the bad karma as far as his injuries or if he's just not durable enough.

I think he could would should be a great WR,especially since he had his eyes fixed, but there's just not enough to go on as far as predictablilty.

:shrug:

Brock
06-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I think Chris Horn will make the roster this year.

bricks
06-11-2005, 10:05 AM
The title of this thread should be "will the addition of Az Hakim help the development of our young WR's." Where's your optimism man?

bricks
06-11-2005, 10:17 AM
let me explain. I firmly believe that DV would cut Hakim if he is beaten out for a job by the young guys. These guys have to step up and play. Kennison, Hall, Hakim, Crap, Parker... and possibly Bo or Hill for special team purposes.

He could....You never know. What makes this move good is, Hakim can also be an insurance policy in case one of our younger WR's don't pan out, and he can also backup Dante on returns.

cdcox
06-11-2005, 10:21 AM
I heard Clayton on ESPN this morning. He didn't ever consider Az to be an option on the outside, that he was a pure #3 (slot) receiver. He also liked the move because it keeps Dante off the field so he can concentrate on the kicking game. FWIW.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Boe was the odd man out. His ability on coverage teams is his best angle on making the team, but I'm not sure it will be enough. They will give Thorpe the nod over him if it is evern close due to the potential and draft choice issues. Or maybe Thorpe is destined for the practice team.

Kylo Ren
06-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Also, Hakim is 28. Yep. You're right. In another article, I thought I saw that Hakim was 31. I went back and looked at it. It said he had 31 catches. I guess that's where I got that number from. Sorry!

bricks
06-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Just thought I'd take the time to post some Az Hakim stats for everybody.

Az Hakim WR, Kansas City Chiefs
Ht: 5-10
Wt: 185lbs
Born:1977
College: San Diego State
NFL Experience: 8 yrs

Career Stats

Receiving:

Year Team G GS REC YDS AVG LG TD
1998 St.Louis Rams 9 4 20 247 12.4 22 1
1999 St.Louis Rams 15 0 36 677 18.8 75 8
2000 St.Louis Rams 16 4 53 734 13.8 80 4
2001 St.Louis Rams 16 2 39 374 9.6 33 3
2002 Detroit Lions 10 10 37 541 14.6 64 3
2003 Detroit Lions 14 12 49 499 9.2 28 4
2004 Detroit Lions 12 5 31 533 17.2 39 3

Kylo Ren
06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I heard Clayton on ESPN this morning. He didn't ever consider Az to be an option on the outside, that he was a pure #3 (slot) receiver. He also liked the move because it keeps Dante off the field so he can concentrate on the kicking game. FWIW.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Boe was the odd man out. His ability on coverage teams is his best angle on making the team, but I'm not sure it will be enough. They will give Thorpe the nod over him if it is evern close due to the potential and draft choice issues. Or maybe Thorpe is destined for the practice team. They've been saying for weeks that Thorpe is raw and doing so-so at best. Unless he really turns it on, he'll be on the PS. I think Bo has the edge over Richard Smith. Almost all of our WR are the sames size. Bo is big and tall. We need at least one big and tall WR. That's why he had so many TD's a couple of years ago. He's a good 3rd down and goal line WR. Unfortunately, I think Smith and Horn will be the odd men out this season.

Kylo Ren
06-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Just thought I'd take the time to post some Az Hakim stats for everybody.

Az Hakim WR, Kansas City Chiefs
Ht: 5-10
Wt: 185lbs
Born:1977
College: San Diego State
NFL Experience: 8 yrs

Career Stats

Receiving:

Year Team G GS REC YDS AVG LG TD
1998 St.Louis Rams 9 4 20 247 12.4 22 1
1999 St.Louis Rams 15 0 36 677 18.8 75 8
2000 St.Louis Rams 16 4 53 734 13.8 80 4
2001 St.Louis Rams 16 2 39 374 9.6 33 3
2002 Detroit Lions 10 10 37 541 14.6 64 3
2003 Detroit Lions 14 12 49 499 9.2 28 4
2004 Detroit Lions 12 5 31 533 17.2 39 3

It appears that he's been fairly consistent year after year. How can he be 28 yrs old and have 8 years NFL exp.? Did he come out of college early?

KChiefs1
06-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I think the only WR's who are locks are Kennison, Parker & Hall.

I truly believe that Hakim, Boerigter, Smith, Thorpe, Horn, Booth & McIntyre will be competing for the final two or three spots.

If I were to project today I'd say:

Kennison
Parker - "if" he develops the deep threat Chiefs need.
Hakim - perfect slot WR.
Smith
Thorpe
Horn

You then put McIntyre & Booth on PS. Boerigter is finished I believe.

morphius
06-11-2005, 10:52 AM
They've been saying for weeks that Thorpe is raw and doing so-so at best. Unless he really turns it on, he'll be on the PS. I think Bo has the edge over Richard Smith. Almost all of our WR are the sames size. Bo is big and tall. We need at least one big and tall WR. That's why he had so many TD's a couple of years ago. He's a good 3rd down and goal line WR. Unfortunately, I think Smith and Horn will be the odd men out this season.
Unless they expect Kris Wilson to make those plays on the goal line instead.

TRR
06-11-2005, 10:53 AM
If we had a couple of solid, young WR's to develop, it would be a different story. Parker is the only one who has shown any potential. McIntyre was barely the 4th best WR in his NFLE team, all indications are that Crow Thrope is really struggling, and Boe and Horn are just as old as Az Hakim is.

So no, I only think Hakim will help. Parker is the only one that has proven he has potential at this point. And I truly believe he would develop better as a slot WR this season.

TRR
06-11-2005, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=cdcox]I heard Clayton on ESPN this morning. He didn't ever consider Az to be an option on the outside, that he was a pure #3 (slot) receiver. He also liked the move because it keeps Dante off the field so he can concentrate on the kicking game. FWIW.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Boe was the odd man out. His ability on coverage teams is his best angle on making the team, but I'm not sure it will be enough. They will give Thorpe the nod over him if it is evern close due to the potential and draft choice issues. Or maybe Thorpe is destined for the practice team.[/QUOTE

DV has already stated that Hakim will compete with Parker for the starting #2 job. Hakim can play both #2 or slot in this offense.

bricks
06-11-2005, 11:02 AM
It appears that he's been fairly consistent year after year. How can he be 28 yrs old and have 8 years NFL exp.? Did he come out of college early?

Must of...I think so.

bricks
06-11-2005, 11:06 AM
DV has already stated that Hakim will compete with Parker for the starting #2 job. Hakim can play both #2 or slot in this offense.

Did he say that really? I never heard him say that....When did he say this? If you have a link, may I ask you to please post it.

Alphaman
06-11-2005, 11:48 AM
If we had a couple of solid, young WR's to develop, it would be a different story. Parker is the only one who has shown any potential. McIntyre was barely the 4th best WR in his NFLE team, all indications are that Crow Thrope is really struggling, and Boe and Horn are just as old as Az Hakim is.

So no, I only think Hakim will help. Parker is the only one that has proven he has potential at this point. And I truly believe he would develop better as a slot WR this season.

Reports from this week have Thorpe as having progressed and starting to get it. (our debate continues):

From the Chiefs website:

Q: At the wide receiver position how is Craphonso Thorpe working put?

VERMEIL: “Slowly. He’s just a rookie. He’s only been here a couple of weeks but he’s making progress every day. He really is. I’m pleased with the progress he’s making.”

Q: And Samie Parker is progressing?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, and Richard Smith is really ascending too. You know Richard Smith ascended when all the receivers got hurt last year in training camp. He made a contribution early and he’s way ahead of that right now.”

From Warpaint Illustrated (which I know you don't give any credibility):

From Monday's OTA notes: 2. Wide receivers Craphonso Thorpe and Richard Smith both looked strong in practice today. Thorpe in particular looked like a different receiver after a week off practice. Smith was back on the field after an injury.

From Tuesday's OTA notes: 2. Wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe had has back to back solid workouts. He's taken a step up and finally showed that blazing speed that has excited the Chiefs offensive coaches.

From Wednesday's OTA notes: 3. Wide Receiver Craphonso Thorpe appears to have followed up his Tuesday workouts with another steller practice. He's getting stronger and more confident in what he's doing on the field and he burned Eric Warfield a couple of times in practice on Wednesday.

Alphaman
06-11-2005, 11:55 AM
I doubt Vermeil will keep 6 WR's considering we have Gammons taking up a ST spot and all the questions on the defensive side of the ball.

I think the addition of Robert Holcombe will allow the Chiefs to carry 6 WRs. The battle at WR will be competitive at camp. I think the battle for the 6th spot will be between Boerigter, Hill and Smith. Smith could probably make through waivers to the practice squad so Vermeil could keep a STs gunner type of guy on the WR corp. I think Boerigter will have the advantage (if healthy) becuase he's a better WR.

My six:

Kennison - starter
Parker - starter
Hakim - slot
Boerigter - backup
Thorpe - backup
Hall - backup/returner

The practice squad battle will be fierce as well. I think Smith will get on for sure. The other WR spot on the ps would be between Boothe and McIntyre.

Zebedee DuBois
06-11-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm hoping the deal is not a multiyear deal, and that our youngsters beat him out.

Of course, if he schools our youngsters, then he should get the job.

Thig Lyfe
06-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Put Hakim in the slot to rest Hall for returns. Parker will still emerge as the #2 reciever.

Parker and Thorpe are the future at WR IMO, if they are wise enough to develop them.

Spicy McHaggis
06-11-2005, 02:14 PM
They've been saying for weeks that Thorpe is raw and doing so-so at best. Unless he really turns it on, he'll be on the PS. I think Bo has the edge over Richard Smith. Almost all of our WR are the sames size. Bo is big and tall. We need at least one big and tall WR. That's why he had so many TD's a couple of years ago. He's a good 3rd down and goal line WR. Unfortunately, I think Smith and Horn will be the odd men out this season.

IMO there is no way Cro will be exposed to the PS squad simply b/c of his draft status. He's got potential and you don't spend mid 4th on a guy that you plan to leave out to be snatched. Someone who may be more worthy of roster spot as of now (Horn, Jeris Mc, Smith etc) will get edged out in favor of him.

On another note are Horn and Bo even eligible for PS? I imagine there's some guys on the roster we couldn't put on even if we wanted to.

I see it as this...

Kennison
Hakim
Parker
Cro
Hall
Bo

PS - Horn or Smith

TRR
06-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Did he say that really? I never heard him say that....When did he say this? If you have a link, may I ask you to please post it.

DV said in a Q&A that Hakim would be brought in to compete with Parker for the #2 spot. I'm on vacation so I really don't want to waste the time to search for it.

Also, I'm not that big on Crow Thorpe as some people. I watched him play at Florida State his Senior season, and he really looked awful after that injury his Junior season. Hopefully he can come around, but I don't think he'll do ANYTHING this season.

buddha
06-11-2005, 02:39 PM
How can it be anything but good? More competition at every position is a positive thing. If the youngs guys aren't ready for prime time, then you have some insurance. If they are ready to be "the guys", no sweat...Hakim comes cheap. Why would anybody be negative about this move?

ZootedGranny
06-11-2005, 02:40 PM
IMO there is no way Cro will be exposed to the PS squad simply b/c of his draft status. He's got potential and you don't spend mid 4th on a guy that you plan to leave out to be snatched. Someone who may be more worthy of roster spot as of now (Horn, Jeris Mc, Smith etc) will get edged out in favor of him.

Exactly. Thorpe gets put on the practice squad, and we never see him again.

Logical
06-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Yes,

But in the end even though I did not want him if he helps us win, who can argue with his pick-up.

jspchief
06-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I really hope Thorpe continues to progress. Before his injury, he was a stud. If he can get back to that form, he'll probaly end up better than Parker. Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling that he won't pan out.

Phobia
06-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I think the only WR's who are locks are Kennison, Parker & Hall.

I truly believe that Hakim, Boerigter, Smith, Thorpe, Horn, Booth & McIntyre will be competing for the final two or three spots.

If I were to project today I'd say:

Kennison
Parker - "if" he develops the deep threat Chiefs need.
Hakim - perfect slot WR.
Smith
Thorpe
Horn

You then put McIntyre & Booth on PS. Boerigter is finished I believe.

Heh heh. Nothing like contradicting yourself.... Locks include "Hall", but he doesn't make your projected 6. ROFL Nice post.

Mecca
06-11-2005, 07:14 PM
The only way Darrell Hill is making the team is if Bo goes out there and shows he's not back from his injury and gets cut or IR'd. He's simply insurance for the special teams gunner spot.

I think when your looking at lock spots at WR you have to go with:
Kennison
Parker
Hakim
Hall
Thorpe
I think those guys all have spots on the roster this year. Then I see it as either Bo or Darrell Hill in the 6th spot.

I don't think they're all that confident in Richard Smith since he showed all this stuff last year, got in a game, and promptly puked all over himself dropping every ball that came his way.

I think Chris Horn will also be released, he's a nice story and a gutty player but he doesn't have a place now.

I expect Thorpes role this year to basically what Parkers was last year where he's inactive for most of the year. Maybe playing some toward the end of the year once he's got a full understanding of this offense. I doubt he'd be all that productive even if he had never been injured it takes awhile to learn the system.

I expect 6 WR's this year not only because of the RB situation that was mentioned. But because I think Gary Stills and Jimmy Wilkerson are sitting on the bubble aswell as the oline number. I don't see Brett Williams making this team and will any of the draft picks take his spot?

milkman
06-11-2005, 07:48 PM
The addition of Az won't hurt the development of any of the young receivers that make it through camp.

It will mean cutting one of them, who could then be picked up by another team and develop with them.

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Competition doesn't hinder development. The more guys we have out there who have the stuff to line up and play, the better for all.

And anything that gives us the opportunity to let Dante concentrate primarily on the return game is a good thing.

go bo
06-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Competition doesn't hinder development. The more guys we have out there who have the stuff to line up and play, the better for all.

And anything that gives us the opportunity to let Dante concentrate primarily on the return game is a good thing.i don't know...

i just don't see where you're being ambivalent about this... :shake: :shake: :shake:

Garcia Bronco
06-11-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't know...this guy is kinda..kinda...a poorman's Morton...but he's been in the system and it's a change on venue. I don't think it hurts your younger guys...I don't think it helps them either.

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 08:54 PM
i just don't see where you're being ambivalent about this... Well, I established previously that I don't like Hakim as an ex-lamb, so that means I don't like the guy but I'm fine with the signing. I'd call that ambivalent.

morphius
06-11-2005, 08:55 PM

And anything that gives us the opportunity to let Dante concentrate primarily on the return game is a good thing.
That still doesn't ease my concern about the Chiefs orginization that seems to choose the known over the possibility.

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 08:56 PM
That still doesn't ease my concern about the Chiefs orginization that seems to choose the known over the possibility.If you're alluding to taking Hakim over Mitchell, I don't fault them at all. Mitchell's never given any indication that he'll ever do anything. I'd say this is a case where the known is probably the better choice.

milkman
06-11-2005, 08:58 PM
If you're alluding to taking Hakim over Mitchell, I don't fault them at all. Mitchell's never given any indication that he'll ever do anything. I'd say this is a case where the known is probably the better choice.

I could be wrong, but I think he's referring to Hakim over Richard Smith, Chris Horn, Jeris McIntrye, etc.

And I agree with him to an extent.

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 09:03 PM
I could be wrong, but I think he's referring to Hakim over Richard Smith, Chris Horn, Jeris McIntrye, etc.If that's the case, I don't have an issue with that, either. Richard Smith and Chris Horn were undrafted for a reason, Jeris McIntyre was a 5th (?) round pick. I understand that people get attached to longshots like that, we all want to see guys overachive and make a great story, but I wouldn't go into camp counting on guys like that; I'd rather have the insurance policy that Hakim is, as long as the job will be ultimately decided on the field. The hope is that, if Hakim doesn't earn a spot, he'll go the way of Tony Horne.

milkman
06-11-2005, 09:06 PM
If that's the case, I don't have an issue with that, either. Richard Smith and Chris Horn were undrafted for a reason, Jeris McIntyre was a 5th (?) round pick. I understand that people get attached to longshots like that, we all want to see guys overachive and make a great story, but I wouldn't go into camp counting on guys like that; I'd rather have the insurance policy that Hakim is, as long as the job will be ultimately decided on the field. The hope is that, if Hakim doesn't earn a spot, he'll go the way of Tony Horne.

I'm hoping that is the case, but I don't believe that they'll be playing on a level playing field, so to speak.

Those guys will really have to play head and shoulders above Hakim in order to earn a spot ahead of him.

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm hoping that is the case, but I don't believe that they'll be playing on a level playing field, so to speak.

Those guys will really have to play head and shoulders above Hakim in order to earn a spot ahead of him.I think I've undergone a transformation this offseason, and grown past any kind of infatuation with camp guys like Richard Smith and Chris Horn. The odds that they'll flame out here and then go somewhere else and flourish are really pretty slim. I think I'm more on the side of the known quantity myself, although, honestly, in the case of Hakim, the known quantity isn't all that spectacular. Yeah, if Smith and/or Horn do make it, it would be a great story, but I don't see either of them as anything more than 4th or 5th receivers, and that kind of talent's pretty interchangeable as I see it. And I guess I really have no problem with a vet like Hakim getting a bit of an upper hand as a more proven commodity. Especially now, when we're looking for wins this season. And it's not like he's an old guy on his last legs.

morphius
06-11-2005, 09:16 PM
If you're alluding to taking Hakim over Mitchell, I don't fault them at all. Mitchell's never given any indication that he'll ever do anything. I'd say this is a case where the known is probably the better choice.
I would take Hakim over Mitchelle as well, I'm thinking more of the fact that Hakim could very easily be given the starting job over Parker, because Vermeil and company seem to have an issue with younger guys getting more playing time on the offense. And not because he actually practiced or played better then him.

whoman69
06-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I have to wonder how Horn can be out of the equation when he seems to be our receiver with the surest hands. I don't think Hall would be satisfied with a demotion to ST only. A demotion could effect his return game adversely.

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 09:20 PM
I would take Hakim over Mitchelle as well, I'm thinking more of the fact that Hakim could very easily be given the starting job over Parker, because Vermeil and company seem to have an issue with younger guys getting more playing time on the offense.If he earns it I wouldn't have a problem with it. If he's handed it, I wouldn't like it much. I do think it's probably good to have some kind of insurance if Parker struggles, however. Without Hakim (who again is not exactly a stud) we're looking at Kennison and a bunch of guys who probably shouldn't be on the field as a starter, again with the possible exception of Paker. As I said before, I think the best outcome for us would be Kennison and Parker starting, Hakim in the slot, Dante concentrating on returns with limited work at WR (like 2003...) and Smith/Horn/Whoever filling out the rest of the roster. I think that looks a lot better with Hakim than it does without him.

philfree
06-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I have to wonder how Horn can be out of the equation when he seems to be our receiver with the surest hands. I don't think Hall would be satisfied with a demotion to ST only. A demotion could effect his return game adversely.

What do you mean? That if Dante get's his feelings hurt he'll cop an attitude? I don't think Dante's like that and he'd like to be able to focus on returns so he can try and break the record with 5 TDs in the regular season. He did have 5 TDs in 2003 but the last one was in the playoff's. I think that's still a record.

PhilFree:arrow:

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't think Hall would be satisfied with a demotion to ST only. A demotion could effect his return game adversely.I don't think he should be ST's only either. I don't think, however, he needs to be our #3 receiver seeing the field a ton every game. He's a weapon that's probably better used sparingly.

penchief
06-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I think when your looking at lock spots at WR you have to go with:
Kennison
Parker
Hakim
Hall
Thorpe
I think those guys all have spots on the roster this year. Then I see it as either Bo or Darrell Hill in the 6th spot.

I think you are right. But I believe the final spot will be between Boerigtor, Horn, and Smith. If you throw Kris Wilson into the mix I think that hurts Boerigtor because we might be more apt to keep a possession-type receiver. I see Wilson catching a lot more passes than Hall or Boerigtor.

I didn't get to see Wilson play last year but from what film I've seen of him in college he looks like a natural. What I saw was a guy with good hands who can catch fluidly in traffic even while at full speed. I think he is more of a true receiver than Dante is.

Kris Wilson is the one guy that I think can help this team as much as anybody if he can deliver on what this coaching staff has projected for him. From what little I've seen I think he has the tools to do it.

htismaqe
06-12-2005, 04:47 AM
If we cut him, it's almost a given that he will have a Phenomenol (sp, almost sounds like a drug) season with whoever picks him up.. :hmmm:

Somebody has been reading their Lexicon.

htismaqe
06-12-2005, 04:47 AM
I think I've undergone a transformation this offseason, and grown past any kind of infatuation with camp guys like Richard Smith and Chris Horn. The odds that they'll flame out here and then go somewhere else and flourish are really pretty slim. I think I'm more on the side of the known quantity myself, although, honestly, in the case of Hakim, the known quantity isn't all that spectacular. Yeah, if Smith and/or Horn do make it, it would be a great story, but I don't see either of them as anything more than 4th or 5th receivers, and that kind of talent's pretty interchangeable as I see it. And I guess I really have no problem with a vet like Hakim getting a bit of an upper hand as a more proven commodity. Especially now, when we're looking for wins this season. And it's not like he's an old guy on his last legs.

Somebody needs to start reading their Lexicon.

PHOG
06-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Somebody has been reading their Lexicon.

It's sitting right here next to me.

:D

ct
06-12-2005, 07:49 AM
I still think Bo is the odd man out. Even in his good season, he was a specialist, and no more.

We really need to not look at this as impeding growth of the young WRs, but rather does this help the team NOW. Bringing in Az as the 3rd/slot WR, where he has plenty of experience in this offense, is a good thing. If it bumps a young guy who can't contribute now off the roster, so be it. This is similar, though not as drastic, as bringing in Sammy Knight. It makes the position grouping as a whole much stronger.

Kennison
Parker
Hakim
Hall
Horn
Smith

PS
McIntyre
Thorpe

Cut
Bo
Hill
Booth
Curry

CosmicPal
06-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I doubt Hakim makes the team.

Kris Wilson picked up the system very well, and the Chiefs will run some form of a three TE set- one TE set to block, Gonzo on the fly, and Wilson to be the guy running around in various formations thus confusing the hell out of the linebackers and safeties. Gonzo and Wilson will create such a mismatch that we can afford to take a risk on the younger receivers. If you add Holmes and Johnson coming out of the backfield, you have a pretty good mix of receivers.

If Hakim shows he can be injury free and hasn't lost a step, he'll make the team as a third or fourth WR. But, I think the Chiefs offense would be more explosive if they put Kennison, Parker, and the developng youngster who picks up the system best while grabbing everything thrown to them: Thorpe, Smith, or McIntyre. I honestly don't see Hakim and Horn making this team...

The second and third WR's responsibilities will be to spread the defense. They will simply fly down the field at full speed, thus forcing LB coverages on Gonzo and Wilson. The safeties will be forced to be watching both the TE's coming over the middle and these track stars running full speed down the sidelines. They won't know who to help cover....If everyone's covered, then there's nobody to take on the RB coming out of the backfield. It's all good.

chief52
06-12-2005, 08:33 AM
How can it be anything but good? More competition at every position is a positive thing. If the youngs guys aren't ready for prime time, then you have some insurance. If they are ready to be "the guys", no sweat...Hakim comes cheap. Why would anybody be negative about this move?

Exactly correct. In the words of George Allen, " The Future is Now!"

mlyonsd
06-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Kennison
Parker
Hakim
Hall
Horn
Smith

PS
McIntyre
Thorpe

Cut
Bo
Hill
Booth
Curry

I think this makes sense.

Bowser
06-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I think this makes sense.

I think Boe makes the team before Horn, just for his special teams ability. If he's healthy.

mlyonsd
06-12-2005, 09:33 AM
I think Boe makes the team before Horn, just for his special teams ability. If he's healthy.

Scanlon can take Bo's place on ST.

Seriously, you could very well be right seeing DV's history of sentimental favorites.

Bo had a great rookie season, was MIA his second year, and then that terrible injury last year. If he wouldn't have gotten injured, we'd have a lot better idea of what we really have in him.

I know the offense isn't geared towards the WR's but I'd like to have one superstar emerge, and I just don't think Bo's the guy. Time to give the others a shot.

JMO.

milkman
06-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Somebody needs to start reading their Lexicon.

Here's something to add to the Lexicon.

**** the Lexicon.

milkman
06-12-2005, 11:52 AM
I doubt Hakim makes the team.

Kris Wilson picked up the system very well, and the Chiefs will run some form of a three TE set- one TE set to block, Gonzo on the fly, and Wilson to be the guy running around in various formations thus confusing the hell out of the linebackers and safeties. Gonzo and Wilson will create such a mismatch that we can afford to take a risk on the younger receivers. If you add Holmes and Johnson coming out of the backfield, you have a pretty good mix of receivers.

If Hakim shows he can be injury free and hasn't lost a step, he'll make the team as a third or fourth WR. But, I think the Chiefs offense would be more explosive if they put Kennison, Parker, and the developng youngster who picks up the system best while grabbing everything thrown to them: Thorpe, Smith, or McIntyre. I honestly don't see Hakim and Horn making this team...

The second and third WR's responsibilities will be to spread the defense. They will simply fly down the field at full speed, thus forcing LB coverages on Gonzo and Wilson. The safeties will be forced to be watching both the TE's coming over the middle and these track stars running full speed down the sidelines. They won't know who to help cover....If everyone's covered, then there's nobody to take on the RB coming out of the backfield. It's all good.

Sounds good.
But the 3rd (slot) receiver will also run a lot of slants, which I believe is one thing that Hakim really excels at.

htismaqe
06-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Here's something to add to the Lexicon.

**** the Lexicon.

Come on Milk. You can't deny the fact that if one just follows the Lexicon, they can accurately predict just about anything that pertains to the Chiefs.

Keg said that the odds that they'll flame out here and then go somewhere else and flourish are really pretty slim. Obviously, we all know that's not true.

|Zach|
06-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Come on Milk. You can't deny the fact that if one just follows the Lexicon, they can accurately predict just about anything that pertains to the Chiefs.

Keg said that the odds that they'll flame out here and then go somewhere else and flourish are really pretty slim. Obviously, we all know that's not true.ROFL

|Zach|
06-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I don't like the signing...

milkman
06-12-2005, 12:05 PM

Keg said that the odds that they'll flame out here and then go somewhere else and flourish are really pretty slim. Obviously, we all know that's not true.

I've just grown weary of the joke, and decided it needed an infusion of fresh material.

htismaqe
06-12-2005, 12:18 PM
I've just grown weary of the joke, and decided it needed an infusion of fresh material.

It does need some updating. Unfortunately, the front office pretty-much aced this offseason, so there's nothing to add. :thumb:

C-Mac
06-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Man, would I love to see Boerigter really break out this season, but..

I don't really know if he has had the bad karma as far as his injuries or if he's just not durable enough.

I think he could would should be a great WR,especially since he had his eyes fixed, but there's just not enough to go on as far as predictablilty.

:shrug:

As far as I know this was Boerigter's first injury of his carreer, the year before was his appendix or spline?(non sports injury). So he would have been labeled "durable" up until this first injury.

Dayze
06-12-2005, 08:45 PM
no. because the guys we 'develop' never see the field anyway.

whoman69
06-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Exactly correct. In the words of George Allen, " The Future is Now!"
I don't think you'd want to go to that extreme though. He pretty much traded away all of his picks every year for vets. It worked well for him, but he never went to the top.

KCChiefsMan
06-12-2005, 09:53 PM
This is the year people! I'd take winning a superbowl than having to go into developing mode. It's now or never!

StcChief
06-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Hakim will help in the development of the young receivers.

His familiarity with the O is a big advantage.