PDA

View Full Version : KC cuts : Crouch finds spot on couch

ROYC75
06-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Crouch finds spot on couch

BY STU POSPISIL

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_s...5&u_rnd=7784782

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Eric Crouch is hoping his experience in NFL Europe still can pay off after the Kansas City Chiefs cut the 2001 Heisman Trophy winner.
Click to Enlarge
Despite recording 19 unassisted tackles for the Hamburg Sea Devils this season in NFL Europe, former Nebraska star Eric Crouch, shown talking with defensive coordinator Dan Daniel, was cut by the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday night.

If no National Football League team picks him up off waivers by Monday, the former Nebraska quarterback becomes a free agent. He and his agent, Jim Steiner of St. Louis, then can talk with other teams.

"It happened to me last year, cut the first week in June," Crouch said Friday night. "But I'm in a lot better position, having played in Europe and gotten experience at safety."

The Chiefs acquired Crouch last winter and allocated him to the six-team NFL Europe. He played for the Hamburg Sea Devils, starting seven games and ranking among the 5-5 team's top tacklers with 19 unassisted and four assisted tackles.

He missed three games with a hip flexor, an injury that happened in practice, before coming back for the Sea Devils' final two games.

"Overall, it was a great experience," said Crouch, 26. "I got to play in some games, practiced a lot and got reps I needed at the position."

Crouch hadn't played defense since he was a two-time All-Nebraska quarterback at Millard North.

It wasn't enough for the Chiefs. Team officials Monday night met Crouch at Kansas City International Airport to inform him of his release. Crouch lives in Omaha, where he's owner of a business that sells recreational equipment.

Because his defensive skills no longer are an unknown, Crouch believes he's more marketable to other teams. His hopes are to make it onto a practice squad.

"If not, I'll have to go to Plan B, and I haven't figured one out," he said. "It could be Canada if somebody wants me as a safety or maybe Europe again next year."

Red Dawg
06-11-2005, 05:54 PM
OH NO!

Bowser
06-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Team officials Monday night met Crouch at Kansas City International Airport to inform him of his release.

"Hey, Eric! How was Europe? Did you have a good time? Great! How did you like playing big league defense? Super! Get the **** off our team."

teedubya
06-11-2005, 05:57 PM
damn you sammy knight and william bartee... damn you!!!!11

Mr. Laz
06-11-2005, 07:10 PM
looks like the play of scott connot made crouch expendable to me.

kcfanintitanhell
06-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Team officials Monday night met Crouch at Kansas City International Airport to inform him of his release.

That was mighty nice of those team officials to drive all the way up to the airport to inform him of his release. But I wonder if they could have saved both parties some time if they just called him and told him to change his ticket from Kansas City to Omaha.

philfree
06-11-2005, 08:57 PM
He must have really stunk it up to get cut now since NFLE players don't count against the cap till the last cut before the season starts.

PhilFree:arrow:

Kerberos
06-11-2005, 09:08 PM
This is just ..... just ..... just ....... SHOCKING!

:D

booger
06-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Not too big of a suprise IMO.

They probably saw that he had not made that great of a transition to the position, at least enough to make the practice squad. They have 9 safetys now that will need time in practice and preseason games to show that they can start, backup and play special teams, or be added to the practice squad if they have future potential to be a player.

Crouch has shown no evidence of any of that so far.

It was worth a shot just like it is with most athletes or players in sending them to NFLEL. The publicity didn't hurt in this case either.

Dayze
06-12-2005, 11:02 AM
another example of how Heisman Trophy winners are more likely to NOT pan out. Not to say much was expected of him in the NFL in the first place, but more of an example of how lame the Heisman has become.

Hammock Parties
06-12-2005, 11:04 AM
OH MY GOD! NINETEEN WHOLE TACKLES? DAMMIT CARL!

WilliamTheIrish
06-12-2005, 11:13 AM
I know one thing about Eric Crouch: His head turns better than Bartee's

ChiTown
06-12-2005, 11:14 AM

ROFL

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!

WilliamTheIrish
06-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I knew you'd like that one.

VonneMarie
06-12-2005, 01:02 PM
ROFL

alanm
06-12-2005, 01:17 PM
another example of how Heisman Trophy winners are more likely to NOT pan out. Not to say much was expected of him in the NFL in the first place, but more of an example of how lame the Heisman has become.
I figured he wouldn't pan out either. He's not a defensive player. He needs the ball in his hands. He should have gone over as a RB and returned punts and kicks.