PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a Chiefs fan?

Skip Towne
06-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Before cable TV we just had to watch whoever the TV station put on. So I went from being a Bears fan to a Cowboys fan. Then the Chiefs moved to KC and I was here waiting for them.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I was born in KS and although I moved to FL when I was 2, my first football game ever was in Arrowhead Raiduhs vs Chiefs when I was 5 years old. Chiefs fan ever since.

milkman
06-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Born and raised in Leavenworth, Ks.
First game ever was in old Municipal Stadium, also when I was 5.

Hydrae
06-12-2005, 05:30 PM
I moved to Columbia in 1990 and started following the "local" team. Had kind of followed the Seahawks before that since I was in Portland.

Once we moved to Flagstaff, I had already fallen in love with those great defenses along with the big backs. Besides, you have any idea how hard it would be to be a fan of the Cardinals?

4th and Long
06-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. My Father was a big Chiefs fan and it rubbed off on me. Thanks Dad. :)

Katipan
06-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I was raised to hate the Raiders.

I had a passing teenage girl interest, but I was too cool to hang out with my daddy watching football and his Chiefs. :roll:

So I got married and realized if I didn't want to lose my husband every Sunday for a large chunk of the year, I'd better learn to love it.

Brando
06-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Tecmo Bowl and Christian Okoye.

milkman
06-12-2005, 05:35 PM
I was raised to hate the Raiders.

I had a passing teenage girl interest, but I was too cool to hang out with my daddy watching football and his Chiefs. :roll:

So I got married and realized if I didn't want to lose my husband every Sunday for a large chunk of the year, I'd better learn to love it.

Should be part of the wedding vows.

Love, honor, and root for the his favorite team.

mlyonsd
06-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Had an aunt that was a professor in Warrensburg. She got me fired up for the Chiefs in the 60's.

alanm
06-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Born a Chiefs fan since my Dad's side of the family is in KC. Also a Husker by birth. :)

chief52
06-12-2005, 05:46 PM
My college room mate was best buddies with ex-Chief QB Bill Kenney. Partied with him well before he was a Chief and after. Started going to the games when they came to Oakland and been a Chief fan ever since! Works for me!

FloridaChief
06-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Laying on the floor on the age of 7 watching the Chiefs beat the Vikings in SBIV...

That was it.

Skip Towne
06-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Born a Chiefs fan since my Dad's side of the family is in KC. Also a Husker by birth. :)
The Chiefs I can understand but that Husker thing is a character flaw.

Bwana
06-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Several years ago my brother was at Whiteman AFB in Warrensburg and started following the Chiefs. I took a look at a few games and fell in love with them as well.

pikesome
06-12-2005, 05:48 PM
My father was a Texans fan, watched them from the begining in Dallas. That explains his deep seated hate towards the Cowboys and the Raiders. I once asked him who he would rather see win between the Raiders and Cowboys, he said the Royals.

mlyonsd
06-12-2005, 05:49 PM
The Chiefs I can understand but that Husker thing is a character flaw.

Like being born into a Taliban family, most Husker fans can't help it. They're brainwashed from day 1.

Hammock Parties
06-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Joe Montana.

alanm
06-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Like being born into a Taliban family, most Husker fans can't help it. They're brainwashed from day 1.
Husker born and Husker bred. And when I die I'll be Husker dead. ROFL
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as we are. :)

mlyonsd
06-12-2005, 05:53 PM

I'll say you're husker bred. Just look at your ego. :p

Bane
06-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I watched a game between the and the seahawks in like 80 or 81.Been a fan ever since.

Skip Towne
You sound exactly like those braindead Zero U fans.

milkman

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble,
When you're perfect in every way!

I can't wait to look in the mirror.
I get better lookin' each day!

Coach
06-12-2005, 05:57 PM
I been a Chiefs fan since 1991 when I started watching the team in red and gold were running the "rock" and playing tough defense. My dad got me involved in the Chiefs.

andoman
06-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Moved from St. Louis area to Wichita in January of '91. The football Cardinals had already left town so I adopted the Chiefs. I still follow most St. Louis sports teams, but very much dislike the Rams.

alanm
06-12-2005, 05:59 PM
On a side note the Huskers swept Miami this weekend to earn a trip to the College World Series. This makes it 3 out of the past 5 yrs they've earned a trip to Omaha. And since Georgia Tech was ousted and Tulane has dropped their game yesterday.(Haven't heard a outcome for today yet as to Tulane) The Huskers will probably go in as the #1 seed with a 57-13 record. Woo Hoo!!!! :clap:

mlyonsd
06-12-2005, 06:01 PM
On a side note the Huskers swept Miami this weekend to earn a trip to the College World Series. This makes it 3 out of the past 5 yrs they've earned a trip to Omaha. And since Georgia Tech was ousted and Tulane has dropped their game yesterday.(Haven't heard a outcome for today yet as to Tulane) The Huskers will probably go in as the #1 seed with a 57-13 record. Woo Hoo!!!! :clap:

It'll be hopping there when they play. Good luck to them.

alanm
06-12-2005, 06:02 PM
You sound exactly like those braindead Zero U fans.
OU and NE fans are the same people separated by Kansas. Total respect for each others programs.

Idahojim
06-12-2005, 06:04 PM
My connection with the Chiefs is almost cosmic. I was just a kid growing up in Columbia, when I realized that rooting for the only Missouri NFL team - the St. Louis Cardinals - was hopeless. So, as kids will do, I decided I'd pick a new team to follow. And I decided the way I'd do it was to turn on the TV and the team playing at that time with the lead would be the team I would follow.

So on that Sunday afternoon, I turned on the TV and the game was between the Buffalo Bills and the Dallas Texans. Texans were in the lead, so that was my team.

Went out and traded for all of their football cards I could get and learned all I could about the Texans. And they were winners. My dad couldn't stand hearing all the time about some team from Dallas.

Then the next year - low and behold - they moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs. As a little kid, I thought they'd moved there just for me. And my dad even started following them, too.

I've followed them ever since. And I thank God Buffalo wasn't in the lead that day when I turned on the TV.

teedubya
06-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Joe Montana.

yet another way that Joe ****ed Chief Fans.

:::::::::

The 1985 Bears made me a football fan... Stephone Paige's 320+ yards against the Chargers in 1986 made me a Chiefs fan.

Bowser
06-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Born and raised in KC. However, I really didn't take strong interest in them until I got back from the military in 1991. I followed them somewhat when DeBerg had his MVP season, and then really latched on when Dave Krieg came to town.

Hammock Parties
06-12-2005, 06:06 PM

ROFL

bricks
06-12-2005, 06:07 PM
I became a Chiefs fan after watching them defeat the Oilers in the 1993 AFC playoffs. They we're the underdog that game, everybody was telling me how Houston was such a great team, and that they we're going to win that game. I saw the Chiefs go threw a heck of a game, and win. Stunning victory, nobody expected it cause they we're the underdog. So that kinda led me to root for them, I jumped on the wagon. And ever since became a Chiefs fan. The Chiefs we're the first football team I ever watched on T.V.

I kept hearing the name Joe Montana, Joe Montana. Everybody was telling me how great he was. So I finally saw him play and take apart the Oilers. It was great, and started rooting for him as well.

chief52
06-12-2005, 06:07 PM

:::::::::

My thoughts exactly. I hate the 49ers. A bunch of their fans started wearing Chief stuff out here when he went to the Chiefs. " My second favorite team..." Damn that pissed me off.

Nzoner
06-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Although I had followed the team a little when I was younger it was my first game attended at Arrowhead in 1984 that hooked me for good.

1adam1238
06-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Born in Nebraska (yes, a Husker fan). Dad was stationed at Whiteman Air Force Base in Knob Noster, Mo (not Warrensburg) when I was in the 5th grade, been a Chiefs fan from 1976.

milkman
06-12-2005, 06:15 PM
My thoughts exactly. I hate the 49ers. A bunch of their fans started wearing Chief stuff out here when he went to the Chiefs. " My second favorite team..." Damn that pissed me off.

What pissed me off was the fact that no one ever seemed to pay any attention to the Chiefs Ts or ballcaps I've worn over the years, but when Carl traded for Joe, people started noticing, and constantly said things to me like "Jumped on the Chiefs bandwagon now that Joe's a Chief, huh?'

papasmurf
06-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Back in the early to mid sixties I had a choice of the Big Red or the Chiefs on TV. The cardic Cards were exciting but the Chiefs under Hank Stram were a juggernaut.

Hammock Parties
06-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Back in the early to mid sixties I had a choice of the Big Red or the Chiefs on TV. The cardic Cards were exciting but the Chiefs under Hank Stram were a juggernaut.

What do you mean "a choice?"

papasmurf
06-12-2005, 06:35 PM

It must be killing you since you have a raider ex headcoach.

papasmurf
06-12-2005, 06:36 PM
What do you mean "a choice?"

CBS or NBC, you watched what you could get.

Bowser
06-12-2005, 06:40 PM
It must be killing you since you have a raider ex headcoach.

What really kills Husker fan are the three words

WEST

COAST

OFFENSE

:D

ZootedGranny
06-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. My Father was a big Chiefs fan and it rubbed off on me. Thanks Dad. :)

Same here. My dad took me to a few games back in the 80s when you could get front row seats with ease, and I've been hooked ever since. I think I was 7 or 8 when I saw the Jets come to town.

Coogs
06-12-2005, 07:06 PM
When I was young, we only got CBS most days. On a good day, NBC would come in, but that didn't happen very often. So my early favorite teams were Chicago with Sayers and Butkis, Minnesota with the Purple People Eaters, and the Colts with Unitas and crew. Colts wee my favorite, but only got to see them 2 or 3 times a year.

Chiefs became my favorite team during the Super Bowl I season. As a side note, the first TV show I ever saw in color was Super Bowl I.

Deberg_1990
06-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Born in KC. Raised in Lees Summit. Whats ironic is, my real father is a huge Raiders fan.

Rain Man
06-12-2005, 07:34 PM
When I was first learning about football at the age of six, a friend of my dad's came over to watch a Chiefs game on my dad's newfangled color television. I've never quite figured out if it was Super Bowl IV or not, but the Chiefs won the game and looked cool doing it, and I became a Chiefs fan. I've been on the bandwagon ever since.

Logical
06-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Back in 64 my stepfather the KC Detective would take me to a side entrance for the Police and Security walk me in and I would stand at the top of the lower level stands at Old Municipal and watch the games. Great times.

alanm
06-12-2005, 07:47 PM
What really kills Husker fan are the three words

WEST

COAST

OFFENSE

:D
It will be a different story this fall. Callahan's kids finally start hitting the field. I wasn't real happy last fall but I can see what he was trying to do. After all Callahan is rated one of the best All Time College Recruiters according to Rivals. Damned if he didn't pull in one of the best classes this winter. I now see why he's regarded as such. He's already got the best QB in Missouri to commit to the Huskers so far this spring. :clap:

Goodys
06-12-2005, 08:03 PM
My parents had season tickets from 1966, I was a "Huddle club" member; that got me tickets at $1.00 per game plus a free drink, a Chiefs penanr and an official Chiefs Huddle Club members card ( wish I still had that). :thumb:

Phobia
06-12-2005, 08:11 PM
I was born in KC. Didn't really follow any football until I was in the Military. I chose the Chiefs out of regional loyalty. I'm damn glad I didn't pick the Bears.

chagrin
06-12-2005, 08:17 PM
I grew up in Louisiana, and since we didn't have professional football there at the time (haha!) I didn't have a true favorite. One day my uncle came to our house to visit for a weekend and he had an autograghed picture, to me (tim) wishing me "luck" from Tony Reid. CHIEFS all the way ever since!

HemiEd
06-12-2005, 08:30 PM
When they were headed to the Super Bowl against Minnesota, the bragging rights were attractive to latch on to since I was in the NAVY. I did not know a first down from a Cornerback at that time, but it was nice to brag about "my Chiefs" to the other guys. I started watching them religously when I could, and following them anyway that I could. I would have never dreamed it would take so long to get back to the SB but I have sure enjoyed watching them.

Skip Towne
06-12-2005, 08:33 PM
When I was first learning about football at the age of six, a friend of my dad's came over to watch a Chiefs game on my dad's newfangled color television. I've never quite figured out if it was Super Bowl IV or not, but the Chiefs won the game and looked cool doing it, and I became a Chiefs fan. I've been on the bandwagon ever since.
Were you born in 1964? If not, it wasn't SB IV.

yeti
06-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I started following the Chiefs because of my brother and Joe Montana. My father is a Broncos fan but thank God he didn't brainwash me or my brother. It is also a good thing we don't watch the games together any more.

AirForceChief
06-12-2005, 09:03 PM
When I was young, we only got CBS most days. On a good day, NBC would come in, but that didn't happen very often. So my early favorite teams were Chicago with Sayers and Butkis, Minnesota with the Purple People Eaters, and the Colts with Unitas and crew. Colts wee my favorite, but only got to see them 2 or 3 times a year.

Chiefs became my favorite team during the Super Bowl I season. As a side note, the first TV show I ever saw in color was Super Bowl I.

How was it you knew of the 'Purple People Eaters' and were still a Chiefs fan? I know the Vikes were sporting the PPE's when they played in SB IV. Who did you pull for?

Rain Man
06-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Were you born in 1964? If not, it wasn't SB IV.

Aside from lingering questions about whether I'm a bastard, this football game is the greatest mystery of my life.

For a long time, I thought it was Super Bowl IV. It was an important game, because I remember my dad's friend really wanted to watch it in color, and my parents NEVER invited anyone over to the house. I also remember that it was a home game (Chiefs in red) and that a wide receiver made a catch and a long run down the right sideline, just like Otis Taylor did in SB IV.

However, the dates don't appear to work for it to be SB IV. I know that I lived in Springfield at the time, which means that it would've been when I was in second grade. Working the math, I think that I lived there from about July of 1970 to May of 1971, which is of course too late for the Super Bowl.

However, the Chiefs didn't make the playoffs that season, so the game couldn't have been a playoff game. Also, they lost their last two games, and I distinctly remember that the Chiefs won. It's possible that my dad's friend was a bandwagon guy, and maybe there was just some game in the middle of the season that was important, or perhaps it could've been Week 11 or Week 12, when the Chiefs beat the Chargers and the Broncos at home. Neither of those games was a big matchup, though, since both of those teams were pretty weak at the time.

I really wish I could figure it out, because that game was a tipping point in my life.

nbkc fan
06-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Joe Montana...

The first NFL game I remember watching was the Super Bowl against Dan Marino. During that game, my dad kept saying that Joe was the best qb ever. I believed him, and when they traded him, they also traded me as a fan.

Dayze
06-12-2005, 09:23 PM
I guess it was a gradual thing. Obviously, growing up here I had been to a number of games as a youngin' when the Chiefs were terrible.
It really hit hard when i was away in California for 4 years and didn't see chit; except for the playoff loss to the Donkeys in '98 ( I think...maybe '99), and the playoff loss to the Colts at home.

Miles
06-12-2005, 09:31 PM
The season that KC got Montana.

whoman69
06-12-2005, 09:37 PM
When I started watching football, the Chiefs had a young RB named Eddie Podolak. Eddie was an ex-Hawkeye and returned punts as well as being the feature back. We shouted "Go Eddie Go," at the TV, especially when he ran wild in that heartbreaking loss on Christmas day 1971. When I was in 2nd grade my teacher took me to a dinner where Eddie was speaking and I got his autograph.

jspchief
06-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I was born In St Joe, MO. All my extended family lived in KC or St Joe. We moved to IA when I was young, so we didn't visit them as often. Whenever we got together for holidays, they all knew each other well from living closer together. The one topic that could break the ice and get me in the conversation was Chiefs football.

I was a very casual fan as a kid. I'd say I was a Chiefs fan, but didn't really follow them closely. When I got older, it was a good reason to go to the bar on Sundays, and I became a much more avid fan.

wolfpack0735
06-12-2005, 11:07 PM
there was a kc arrowhead in my parents dna. when i was growing up we would all go to church then home to watch the chiefs. both you just did on sundays. when they went to the super bowl it was like a national holiday at our house. when my two sons were born and my daughter was born i put a small football with a chiefs sign in there bed when they came home from the hospital.

keg in kc
06-13-2005, 12:18 AM
I moved to Kansas City. I wasn't following any other team at the time.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Derrick Thomas is my father.

UKMike
06-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Since im English I could pretty much choose who I wanted. When I was about 4 before I started school I used to watch it on TV during the day (this was when it was first on in this country, just a highlights show) I just got into it, and I supported the chiefs just cause I liked the name and the colours (which are also the same as my soccer team)

digi2fish
06-13-2005, 04:43 AM
I've saved this a file...

How digi2fish became a Chiefs fan?

my first experience of football was the 49ers v.s. Broncos Super Bowl game. It was a time that football games never showed on TV in Taiwan, a international hotel in Taipei had somebody taped the game and send it back to Taiwan the next day and play it in their bar to serve the people from U.S.. Somehow my dad got the tickets and brought me there, we known the result well, Joe Montana has been my football hero and the Broncos mean the losers to me thereafter.... ROFL

at the '90s we began to have satellite TVs, so we can watch football games from the Japanese channels, we got it in my home at 1993. Yeh, right, the year Montana came to KC, therefore I watched a lot of KC games and had been a fan not only Montana but also Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, Dale Carter, Marcus Allen, Keith Cash and others, then, I have been a Chiefs fan.

it has been a hard time after all this all-star players left, according to the law, the cable system couldn't provide Japanese satellite TVs any more, there was ESPN then, but since the Chiefs can't play well, usually we didn't have chances too watch Chiefs games. Until the recent years we got internet and more bandwidth, I can get more infomation. Last year we were having a wonderful season, I was exciting about that and wished to find somebody the share it, so I went yahoo.com to find some communities of the Chiefs fans, and I got here.

We got the coolest Chiefs fans here, I really enjoy to hanging around with you guys. :thumb:

MeaTy The Pimp
06-13-2005, 04:46 AM
The first time I got to see Christian Okoye bull through a defense, I was hooked. He was awesome.

Gravedigger
06-13-2005, 05:04 AM
I was born and raised in Johnson County and my father is the reason I'm a chiefs fan today. My mother used to say Milton its time to take the kids to church and my dad would say what about the pre game show Janis? GO DAD!!! :clap:

Earthling
06-13-2005, 06:29 AM
I stole a chicken from a gypsy when I was 10 and she put a curse on me. Been a Chiefs fan ever since.

KCJake
06-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Me, along with Joe Montana were traded from the 49ers to KC. I've been with the Chiefs ever since.

Saulbadguy
06-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Born and raised in Topeka, KS. Need I say more?

keg in kc
06-13-2005, 07:41 AM
Born and raised in Topeka, KS. Need I say more?No, that pretty much answers every question we've had about you.

Saulbadguy
06-13-2005, 07:43 AM
No, that pretty much answers every question we've had about you.
Heh. Glad to have helped.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Before cable TV we just had to watch whoever the TV station put on. So I went from being a Bears fan to a Cowboys fan. Then the Chiefs moved to KC and I was here waiting for them.
I was born and raised 80 or so miles from KC and love sports. I didn't have a choice when it came to being a Chiefs and Royals fan. (Kings then too) I was born into it.

MOhillbilly
06-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Was born in Missouri.

HemiEd
06-13-2005, 08:12 AM

ROFL

Nubian Nut
06-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Born an raised in KC. lived about 5 blocks from the old Municipal Stadium.
went to Chief's & A's games all the time as a kid and the Royals when they came along.

jidar1
06-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Tecmo Bowl and Christian Okoye.

Yep, me too. My Friend owned the game and always used the Raiders for Bo Jackson, I didn't know anything about football so picked the home team and found out that Okoye was awesome. It went from there.

Sam
06-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Born and raised in Liberty, MO. Back then Liberty and Wm. Jewell were the summer home of Kansas City Chiefs. My mom was the bar-maid at the local beer joint, The Corner, she knew 'em all. Met Lenny 'The Cool' Dawson sitting on a bar stool there when I was about 7 or 8 and got an autograph that would have been about `63 or `64. Didn't everyone have a pro football team in their home town growing up? Been a life time fan.

KChiefs1
06-13-2005, 08:34 AM
My uncle who lived at the Lake of the Ozarks got me started in 1969. We'd go down on the weekends & we'd always end up at his house right before we headed home & he'd have the Chiefs games on the tv. I was nine & thought the world of him so I'd watch the games with him. The first game I remember watching with him was the Chiefs vs Jets game in November where Otis Taylor caught 3 td passes from Lenny Dawson. The next weekend down he had bought a Sports Illustrated for me with the Chiefs on the cover...still have it.

Manila-Chief
06-13-2005, 08:56 AM
I've been a fan since they were formed in Texas. Living in Alabama and being a sports nut I was looking for a team. IIRC Lamar wanted an NFL franchise for Dallas but the NFL refused, so he and some buddies started the AFL. Naturally, the NFL would not be out done and placed a team in Dallas. I pulled for the underdog Texans and followed them to KC. It only increased my dedication to the Chiefs when we moved to KC in '66 to go to school.

My first trip to KC was to visit the school ... my wife and I traveled on a fall Sunday. It was late in the afternoon ... I remember the sun setting across the fields down South of Springfield ... I found the Chiefs on the radio. I was really pumped to be able to listen....

And the good news is at the end of this year I'll be back there to see all the games.... for what I hope will be a fulfilling season .... that ends with a victory in Feb.

ptlyon
06-13-2005, 09:13 AM

This is basically how I became a Chiefs fan. This clown forced me into it.

I still hate him for that.

StcChief
06-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Married into it. Father in law worked for Chiefs.
Been going since 1980.

Took my boy at age 5 (1992) Buffalo/Chiefs game.

KCKID58
06-13-2005, 09:45 AM
I GREW UP IN NEW JERSEY. I HAD BEEN A GIANTS Fan UNTIL PARCELLS LEFT. I HAD HAD ENOUGH OF THE NY/PA TEAMS. I SENT IN AN OFFER FOR A FREE FOOTBALL AND THE TEAM CHOICE I PUT DOWN THAT I WANTED WAS "ANY". THE FOOTBALL CAME IN THE MAIL 6-8 WEEKS LATER AND IT WAS A KC CHIEFS FOOTBALL. IT WAS THE COOLEST THING I'D EVER SEEN. IT WAS RIGHT AROUND THE TIME THE CHIEFS GOT "JOE COOL" AND ME AND MY FAMILY HAVE BEEN DIE-HARD KC CHIEFS FANS EVER SINCE. MY WIFE AND I BOTH GOT TATTOO'S SO AS LONG AS I'M ALIVE I'LL LIVE AND DIE A CHIEFS FAN .

redfan
06-13-2005, 09:46 AM
The day Ted Popson put on a Chiefs uni. :D

But seriously folks...
When I was a lad, my dad took me to the grocery store and Otis Taylor gave me a signed pic of himself. He was nice, and I've been a fan ever since. Although I did attend a game at the Muni...as a fetus.

tomahawk kid
06-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Once Marty arrived in 1989 and they selected DT in the First Round, I was hooked.

redbrian
06-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Attended a punt pass and kick competition as a young lad at Antioch shopping center.

They had a couple of guys there named Dawson and Jon, had watched the Chiefs before but became a huge fan after the first hand experience with live Chiefs.

Goapics1
06-13-2005, 10:20 AM
I have not become one.

digi2fish
06-13-2005, 10:31 AM

it must be a hell when you offend your father...

kc rush
06-13-2005, 10:47 AM
I bought season tickets 3 years ago. I apparently wasn't a fan until then. I am now. Hooray for me.

Skip Towne
06-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Married into it. Father in law worked for Chiefs.
Been going since 1980.

Took my boy at age 5 (1992) Buffalo/Chiefs game.
What did your FIL do for the Chiefs?

shaneo69
06-13-2005, 11:37 AM
I started watching football with my dad when I was about 7, back in 1976. We lived in St. Louis, and my dad was a Cardinals fan, but for some reason, I never took a liking to them. I think the Chiefs were playing the Broncos in the late game one Sunday after the Cardinals had played at noon, and I just liked the red and gold colors. Been hooked ever since.

Funny thing....growing up in St. Louis, none of my friends were Cardinals fans. In grade school, you had the Steeler fans and the Cowboy fans, and the one Chiefs fan (me). Then in high school, my two best friends rooted for the Bears and Browns. When the Cardinals left for Arizona during my junior or senior year in H.S., I don't remember anyone my age being disappointed at all.

On a side note.......I had no idea that so many people became Chiefs fans because of Joe Montana. Wow.

redfan
06-13-2005, 11:46 AM
On a side note.......I had no idea that so many people became Chiefs fans because of Joe Montana. Wow.

No kidding. This also surprises me. Just another example of the power of the Legend. One of the smartest moves Carl ever made. (Holeeshiz!DidIjustsaythat!?!)

KCChiefsMan
06-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I never really was into football or any sports until Joe Montana came to KC then I started watching it and fell in love instantly. I had a buddy that was a cowboys fan and we argued/conversed about football for hours all the time. That made me more interested in the sport. Now I have been a die hard Chiefs fan since then. I've shed some tears through the years now this year I expect to shed a "Vermeil tear" after we win the superbowl as it appears all of the pieces are in place!

Biohazard
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Watching them stomp the Donkos when I was about 8 at Arrowhead did me in.

KChiefs1
06-13-2005, 12:32 PM

That is interesting isn't it...I don't see many who came over after Marcus Allen though. :hmmm:

Skip Towne
06-13-2005, 05:41 PM
That is interesting isn't it...I don't see many who came over after Marcus Allen though. :hmmm:
I wonder how many will come over for Rich Scanlon?

DTLB58
06-13-2005, 05:58 PM
When I was about 10 years old in 1973 the neighbor kid asked me who I liked in the NFL? I said who do you like? He said the Vikings. I said, have they been ever been in the Superbowl? He said yea, but they lost to the Kansas City Chiefs. I said that's the team I like. :)

And so it began........My life began to center around the Chiefs. They never showed Chiefs on tv up here in Iowa then. So I listened to the games on the radio in my dad's car for several years. I can't remember the first time I saw them on tv probably a MNF game and the highlights at half time of MNF. Now I can count on one hand how many games I have missed in person or on tv since 1989.

And 31 years later I wouldn't change a thing. :clap:

GO CHIEFS!!!!!

Skip Towne
04-07-2006, 11:08 AM
How about you n00bs that have joined in the last 9 months?

Hammock Parties
04-07-2006, 11:11 AM
You know, alot of us joined Chiefs Nation because of Joe Montana.

Is it possible we all had gay man crushes on Joe?

sedated
04-07-2006, 11:17 AM
I thought I had posted this before, but I guess not.

In about 87 or 88 (I was 6 or 7), a store in the mall was giving out Chiefs posters for free. It had DT, Neil, and 4 other guys.

I asked my mom who the Chiefs were, and she said, "They are KC's foorball team. They're really bad, you don't want that poster."

I responded, "They are KC's team, so we should support them, no matter what. Can I have a poster?"

I put it up on my wall that night and had it there until I moved to Lawrence for college.

I started wathcing games as soon as I was aware that we had a team. The rest is history (and an addiction).

sedated
04-07-2006, 11:20 AM
You know, alot of us joined Chiefs Nation because of Joe Montana.

Is it possible we all had gay man crushes on Joe?

:spock:

just you, queerboy :thailor:

joesomebody
04-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Fan by birth. My mother's side of the family are from KC. I'm from central MO, and Arrowhead is like Mecca to me.

Reaper16
04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
I thought I had posted on this thread, too. Guess not.

I was born and raised in Excelsior Springs, MO. Father and grandfather are big sports guys - Chiefs and Royals - and a kid can't help but emulate those influences. Those two guys raised me right when it comes to what MO boys do. They cheer the Chiefs, fish and hunt. :)

So I've grown up following the Chiefs, and there's no way that I'm going to quit. (Which will probably be the death of me.)

Warrior5
04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
You know, alot of us joined Chiefs Nation because of Joe Montana. Is it possible we all had gay man crushes on Joe?

No. You got something to tell us?

rageeumr
04-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Blind childhood homerism. My dad was a Chiefs fan, too, but I don't think that had much to do with it. He's a dirty Cardinals fan, but he wasn't able to coax me to the dark side.

CosmicPal
04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
My father had season tickets ever since they've been in KC. I spent many seasons growing up and going to Arrowhead with my toes numb while cupping my hands around a thermos of hot chocolate. There wasn't much to cheer about back then, but it was still the best of times. And then DT came along and everybody starting going to the games- it was exciting. And then they started winning a lot of games and it was just a frenzied place to be.

Logical
04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
My stepfather started taking me to some games in 64. I was hooked.

58-4ever
04-07-2006, 12:45 PM
My family moved to KC when I was 12. Saw my first games that year. It was so intense, and I've been hooked ever since.

big nasty kcnut
04-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Chiefs fan since birth. My dad liked them when they were the texans. When they moved to kansas city that was ever better for my dad who lived in wichita at the time. Gone to the assholedome in houston to watch a preseason game of the chiefs oilers game and meet mike bell and our hall of fame qb Len Dawson

Inspector
04-07-2006, 01:12 PM
My folks knew a couple of the Chiefs way back. I lived next door to the boarding ranch where they kept warpaint. Ed Budde's kid (Brad) went to school with me, although several years younger..

Plus, they were our hometown team. Been hooked on them for over 40 years.......

|Zach|
04-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Thats how I was raised. Been to the last 2 winning playoff games. Not bad for a 22 year old...heh.

TEX
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
In the late '60's - early '70's, my parents had University of Houston season tickets and they took me to all the games. Well, the Cougars had an All American WR named Elmo Wright who was drafted by the Chiefs. I used to love to watch him "High Step" after he scored a TD (Most football people even give him credit for starting the end zone celebration), so when he was drafted by the Chiefs, I followed and have been a fan ever since.

jlscorpio
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Grew up in NW Ark, which is basically smack in the middle between Dallas and KC. My dad was a big Dallas fan in the 70's. I don't ever remember a time in my life when football wasn't on Sunday afternoon. He passed the NFL passion on to me at a young age. I always liked the oldschool facemasks the Chiefs used to wear (I think they were the only team that wore those) He passed away in 88, and I didn't watch any games for a couple years. The Chiefs were one of the 2 regional teams, and I wasn't going with the Cowgirls. It was around this time that the Carl/Marty/DT era began. It was a great time to be a Chiefs fan with DT, Neil, Okoye, Word, Carlos Carson, Stephone Page, etc. Also, my high school bud and current planet member Herzig was a big Chiefs fan, too.

BucEyedPea
04-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Posted by Skip Towne

efore cable TV we just had to watch whoever the TV station put on. So I went from being a Bears fan to a Cowboys fan. Then the Chiefs moved to KC and I was here waiting for them.

Wow...that's really fickle!

ROFL

PS I am NOT a Chief's fan. :shake:

fan4ever
04-07-2006, 01:28 PM
At the age of 10 I decided to become a masochist. I went to a fortune teller and asked for her to give me a football team to follow that will not do anything significant for the next 35+ years. The rest is history.

Sorry if this is a repost; didn't read them all.

shakesthecat
04-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Chiefs-Dolphins, Christmas Day 1971

My Dad told me Podolak was a Iowa boy, and that was all I needed to know.

pikesome
04-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Reading through this thread I'm amazed at how, um, illogical most of our stories are. No one set down and said, hey this team is going to be a 5 Super Bowl team, I'm rooting for them. It's been about family, tradition and entertainment. Throw in some civic pride and Joe Montana and you have a wide swath of fans.

epitome1170
04-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Reading through this thread I'm amazed at how, um, illogical most of our stories are. No one set down and said, hey this team is going to be a 5 Super Bowl team, I'm rooting for them. It's been about family, tradition and entertainment. Throw in some civic pride and Joe Montana and you have a wide swath of fans.

Mines a little bit of the combination. Grew up in Jefferson City area, so my dad cheered for the St.Louis Cardinals (football and baseball) and the Chiefs in football. Then the Cardinals football left so I was left cheering only for the Chiefs then my interest in them peaked when Montana came to town.

OnTheWarpath15
04-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Grew up in St. Louis.....I think I was 6 or 7 years old when my little league team got to play at halftime of a governors cup game at old Busch Stadium.

I remember liking the colors and the arrowhead logo, and from that day on rooting for the Chiefs exclusively.

But, according to CeePee , I didn't become a "real fan" until 2004.

Duck Dog
04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I was born and raised in Overland Park and into a family of season ticket holders. (yep the bad years)

Duck Dog
04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Chiefs-Dolphins, Christmas Day 1971

My Dad told me Podolak was a Iowa boy, and that was all I needed to know.

My earliest memory of a Chiefs game.

SCTrojan
04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Moved to the KC area in the mid-1970s. Grew up rooting for the hometown Chiefs and Royals.

harpes
04-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I was a Raiders fan when I was young, God dont ask my why but I was. I went to a game at Arrowhead and it was like coming to Christ as I was overcame with emotion I actually wept.

Skip Towne
04-08-2006, 10:28 PM
I was a Raiders fan when I was young, God dont ask my why but I was. I went to a game at Arrowhead and it was like coming to Christ as I was overcame with emotion I actually wept.
So how do we know you won't flip flop back to the Raiders again?

Lake
04-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I moved here from the Milwaukee Area in 1989 when I was in Middle School. It was neat to live so close to a big city with pro sports. I lived closer to Kansas City in Missouri than when I lived in Wisconsin to Milwaukee. I was a real fan for some time. Then I became a fan only when they won. Over the past few years I have lost most of the interest that I once had. I did not like many of the decisions that were made by Chief's Management. The same goes with the Royals. Only with the Royals I went from being a fan to no longer being one. This was also due to bad decision making by management. I still live in the area though. I mainly come here for that reason. I am still a baseball fan though. It is real nice to see the Milwaukee Brewers start off with five straight wins and without any losses yet.

Basileus777
04-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I became a Chief's fan because of my father, who has been a Chiefs fan since the AFL days. I have been a Chief's since I was a kid because of him, there are not many other Chief's fans in New Jersey.

Tribal Warfare
04-08-2006, 11:16 PM
The first time I saw Christian Okoye run over any one in his path with Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas killing QBs

I was 8 years old

Chief Pote
04-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I grew up in Ohio. My brothers were Browns fans. My Dad was originally a Browns fan until Modell fired Paul Brown and then he started to follow the Bengals. I was 10 years old and the Chiefs were playing the Vikings in the Super Bowl. Well at that age you had to pick a team to win. I chose the Chiefs and they won. I proclaimed that they were my favorite team. My brothers made fun of me and called me a "fair weather fan", the rest is history. 36 years of fighting to see the Chiefs back at that damn Super Bowl. It's gonna be the biggest ****in party ever when they get back and my brothers are invited.

DJay23
04-09-2006, 12:14 AM
I was born that way. Thanks Dad.

Went to my first game when I was but an infant. Thanks Dad.

After a beating at the hands of the Buccaneers I believe, I inquired as to why follow a team that loses so much. "Because they are YOUR losers, son." Thanks Dad.

Went to the Chiefs-Broncos and Chiefs-Raiders game every year at Arrowhead before I moved from the area. I can remember it being empty in Arrowhead. I could literally jump up and down the rows without disturbing anyone. Dad did it so I could learn to HATE both teams as much as he did. Thanks Dad.

When I collected football cards, the Chiefs cards were never to be left in the stack with the rest of the cards. They were special. Thanks Dad.

After I moved from the area, I was picked on by kids in the places I lived (Indiana, Texas, Colorado) for my Chiefs jacket. Dad told me to wear it every day anyway, even when it's hot, just to piss them off, just to show them how much I love my team. Thanks Dad.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-09-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm a Chiefs fan by blood, not relation, ya'll be chasin', I replace them...HUH?!

DaWolf
04-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Was a kid, and I just happened to be listening to the radio broadcast of the game in '88 when Frank Ganz decided to go for it on 4th down to win the game against the Jets at Arrowhead. Got hooked at that point and never looked back since...

SLAG
01-14-2010, 03:36 AM
It was the team my family rooted for being from Kansas.

When my aunt got married to a denver fan, we just happened to be visiting them in Denver- and my newest uncle had Tickets for us to go Watch the MNF Elway VS Montana in the old Pile High - What can I say... Montana Magic!

My Wife's side have been Chiefs fans since they moved here from dallas, and her grandpa loves to tell me stories about his visits to Municipal stadium. Her Great Grandmother use to make the Chiefs Cheerleaders outfits when they were still dressing SOMEWHAT modestly - the Classic Cheerleader with a sweater look

DumbHillbillies
01-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Born and raised in KC. So born a Chiefs, Royals and Kings (Not since they moved to Sacremento)fan.

Baby Lee
01-14-2010, 07:25 AM
I caught footage of this young man named Mark Castle, and was entranced with his sublime physical comedic skills. Reminiscent of a Buster Keeton in his prime. I've been hooked ever since.

PhillyChiefFan
01-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Born and raised near Harrisburg, PA.

I was 7, and DT was drafted from Alabama.

I said "That is my team" and have been a diehard ever since.

InChiefsHeaven
01-14-2010, 08:00 AM
When I was a kid, my dad hung a poster on my wall. My brother and I shared a room. The poster was an endzone pileup between the Raiders and the Chiefs. My dad is from San Francisco and is a 9ers fan, my mom is from Oakland. In any case, I don't know if he intended it to be anything other than a football thing for his sons' room.

I picked the guys in Red. My brother went with the ones in Silver. Mine stuck (he became a Saints fan). I suffered through the shitty late 70's, 80's, loved the 90's but like all of us was ultimately disappointed, and as my username indicates, I am still In Chiefs Hell...but I will never give up on 'em.

Wish I still had that poster...

BigMeatballDave
01-14-2010, 08:20 AM
In August '81 we moved from Topeka to KC. I liked the NFL before that but didn't have a favorite team. I guess the Chiefs became my fav by default.

KJROD20
01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
How about you n00bs that have joined in the last 9 months?

My reason? They hired Charlie Weis, who in turn will be hiring a family member of mine.

Dayze
01-14-2010, 12:09 PM
older brother took me to a game in 1984; stadium was empty; we followed the sun around the stadium (upper) to keep warm. I think he said his tickets were like $13/each or something like that.

Afte rthat I always wanted to go; then when they started showing up on TV, I was hooked.

I 'blame' my brother. lol

ROYC75
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
When they moved here ( KC ) from Texas ! Yes, I'm old school !

Molitoth
01-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally I was a 49'ers fan because of Jerry Rice.

Then I got taken to a Chiefs game to see Joe Montana's first game and I was sold ever since.

The atmosphere in arrowhead during a defensive stand was the greatest. I miss DT.