PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football: The Inside Scoop

Mr. Laz
06-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Posted 6/8/2005 8:24 PM

The Buzz

Add the Kansas City Chiefs to the list of franchises that would like a new stadium or major improvements to their current stadium. ... The Browns seem concerned about ex-Raven Peter Boulware's injuries and could be reluctant to sign him. ... Ex-Patriot cornerback Ty Law still isn't close to being able to run. There are fears that Law won't exhibit the same push-off ability when he does start working out. ... Discussions on a new collective bargaining agreement continue to be strained, the best exhibit being the hint of the league dropping the eight-man practice squad which would account for a minimum of 256 jobs. ... Receiver Peerless Price will be fighting for his job this summer in Atlanta's training camp. ... The Redskins are close to releasing veteran receiver Rod Gardner . ... The Saints have simplified and reduced their offensive plays in order to help quarterback Aaron Brooks. ... Jerry Rice is receiving the $765,000 veteran minimum from the Broncos. ... Houston remains the only team talking trade with the Bills for running back Travis Henry.

— John Czarnecki

Numerology

Rams quarterback Jeff Smoker showed up at minicamp practice to find he'd been reassigned No. 15 instead of the No. 9 he wore in his rookie year and at Michigan State.

Coach Mike Martz acknowledged that he forced Smoker to change because of some bad experiences with quarterbacks who wore No. 9, referring to Joe Germaine.

"I like single-digit numbers because it makes me look thin. But I'm OK with the switch," Smoker said.

Waterboy not so fluid

San Francisco 49ers running back Kevan Barlow didn't hold back when discussing the football abilities of the actors in The Longest Yard remake.

Asked if Adam Sandler looked good as a quarterback, Barlow told the San Francisco Chronicle: "He's an actor, not an athlete. I didn't buy him as a quarterback. I didn't buy him as a linebacker in The Waterboy either. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner."

Barlow did like the work of rap star Nelly, who played football, baseball and basketball in high school outside St. Louis. Nelly was a running back in the movie.

"He's really realistic as a running back," Barlow said. "I've heard that he's bragged before about his athletic ability — and I know he's a big St. Louis Rams fan — but now I got to see what he was talking about. I was really impressed by his athleticism."

On the couch

World Bowl XIII, Saturday, 11 a.m. ET, FOX

ArenaBowl XIX, Sunday, 3 p.m. ET, NBC

Football addicts have had at least some of a fix to combat NFL withdrawal. After this weekend they'll have to go cold turkey as the sport's two "minor leagues" end their seasons.

The World Bowl, NFL Europe's championship, pits the Amsterdam Admirals against the Berlin Thunder at the neutral site of Dusseldorf, Germany.

Sunday, the Colorado Crush and the Georgia Force face off in Las Vegas in the ArenaBowl. Colorado is owned in part by Broncos great John Elway, while Georgia is owned by Falcons owner Arthur Blank.

Contributing: Sports Weekly's Devin Clancy and Howard Balzer

Rain Man
06-12-2005, 07:36 PM
I'd love to know what Germaine did to tick off Albert EinMartz so much.

Kylo Ren
06-12-2005, 07:53 PM
...... Discussions on a new collective bargaining agreement continue to be strained, the best exhibit being the hint of the league dropping the eight-man practice squad which would account for a minimum of 256 jobs......

I'd like to see the 8 man PS incorperated into the team's regular roster. Each team would carry a 61 man roster instead of 53. Obviously, those 8 guys would be the lowest paid and most common to get dumbed and picked up on a week to week basis. Also, all 61 would suit up and be eligible to play on game day. This is DV's pet peeve.