PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sweeney appreciation thread

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm more than a little tired of listening to people bash Mike Sweeney. He's always hurt, he doesn't slide hard enough into the catcher, he's got an iron glove.... bla, bla, bla... get real.

Mike Sweeney has done nothing to deserve the shit so many so called Royals fans often like to sling his way. These idiots that demand he be traded for prospects, that he's soft, that he isn't the perfect mix of Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio. These are the same fans that whine about losing every good player we have to free agency because the Royals can't or won't pay them enough to stay around. The same people who constantly bitch about our "minor league roster" but are more than willing to part with the best player on the team so we can get more minor leaguers.

Listen up folks...and you know who you are. When an opposing pitcher looks over the Royals' line-up, who do you think makes them make any adjustments outside of doing whatever the hell they want to do? Ruben Gotay? Mark Teahen? Terrance Long? David DeJesus? No...Mike Sweeney is the only bone-fide threat in the line-up. Mike Sweeney is the only guy that the opposing team doesn't want at the plate with runners on. Mike Sweeney is the only guy who can make the opposing pitcher sweat a little... just a little.

Mike Sweeney could have bolted KC like so many before him, long ago. He didn't have to sign a contract extension to stay in a small market, on a bad team, with little or no real future playoff aspirations...but he did. All he asked was that his employers do everything they could do to field a winning team for ONE season. He didn't ask for a championship or he's gone. He didn't even demand that the Royals win the weakest division in baseball. He asked that they show the same kind of commitment to winning and dedication to the team for ONE season that he has shown. ONE DAMN SEASON! That's all it took for Sweeney's new contract extension to go into effect. His team met the challenge two years ago, finished over .500 and have done little but back-pedal ever since... but is Mike demanding a trade? No. Instead he's getting in his team-mates faces, leading by example and trying to win.

Sure, Sweeney has had some injury problems. I'm pretty certain that it hasn't been because he WANTS to be injured. I'm reasonably confident that he doesn't feel like his team doesn't need him or that he's just acting like a prima donna who tired of being on the field and wants some time off. No, Mike Sweeney wants to play. He wants to help his team-mates get better. He wants to win...in Kansas City. Not in New York or Boston or LA.... IN KANSAS CITY! HE'S HERE BECAUSE HE CHOOSES TO BE! HE'S THE ONE BONA-FIDE STAR WHO HASN'T USED KC AS AN AUDITION TO GET A BIG FAT PAYCHECK IN A SPOTLIGHT CITY!

Mike Sweeney is a good guy too. Not just a run of the mill good guy... but a really good guy. He's a part of the community. He's a team player. He's the real deal.

No, he isn't the best first baseman in baseball... but he's not the worst either. Yes, his back problems have been frustrating for Royals fan. You think maybe they've been even more frustrating for him though? I imagine his back would give out from time to time carrying the entire franchise on it for so long... then getting shit from fans for how he does it.

Mike Sweeney deserves better. From his front-office, from his team-mates, from mlb as a whole, but mostly from Royals fans who are too busy whinning about his imperfections too see the big picture. Mike Sweeney is the face of a mostly faceless organization. He's done nothing but work hard, play hard and promote Kansas City. He wants nothing more than to win.....HERE. That alone makes him more worthy than any of his recent predecessors of our loyalty and appreciation.

Goapics1
06-13-2005, 09:04 AM
He needs traded for some young pitchers.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 09:06 AM
He needs traded for some young pitchers.
I'm gonna guess that you're kidding since young pitchers are the one thing we seem to have an abundance of.

Demonpenz
06-13-2005, 09:06 AM
When's the last time sweeney had a clutch rbi homerun or hit

ChiTown
06-13-2005, 09:07 AM
ROFL

Nice rant.

Fact is, Sweeney doesn't make this team better when you have a youth movement going on. His $11MM/yr salary soaks up a lot of the overall dollars needed to fund a team in KC. I love Sweeney. He's a great guy, a helluva player, and probably a fantastic teammate. He's just the wrong guy for this club right now. When I see Sweemey, I see a possible young corner outfielder or a budding SS prospect. Sorry, but that's just the way it is for me.

BigChiefFan
06-13-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm always in the corner of the player who CHOOSES to stick around for the boys in blue. Sweeney has been a solid player for us and I appreciate his effort throughout the years.

Goapics1
06-13-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm gonna guess that you're kidding since young pitchers are the one thing we seem to have an abundance of.
Nope. Never have enough pitching.

ChiTown
06-13-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm always in the corner of the player who CHOOSES to stick around for the boys in blue. Sweeney has been a solid player for us and I appreciate his effort throughout the years.

Umm, he chose to stick around, and also got a $55MM contract.

There's no questioning Mikes Character or his loyalty, but let's at least be a bit honest with ourselves, ok?

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 09:10 AM
ROFL

Nice rant.

Fact is, Sweeney doesn't make this team better when you have a youth movement going on. His $11MM/yr salary soaks up a lot of the overall dollars needed to fund a team in KC. I love Sweeney. He's a great guy, a helluva player, and probably a fantastic teammate. He's just the wrong guy for this club right now. When I see Sweemey, I see a possible young corner outfielder or a budding SS prospect. Sorry, but that's just the way it is for me.
First off I don't know who's ranting but whatever you want to believe.

Secondly, the Royals are always rebuidling, they just don't always use the word.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 09:12 AM

There's no questioning Mikes Character or his loyalty, but let's at least be a bit honest with ourselves, ok?
He deserved every penny of it. He could've gotten more elsewhere. That's being honest.

BigChiefFan
06-13-2005, 09:13 AM

There's no questioning Mikes Character or his loyalty, but let's at least be a bit honest with ourselves, ok?There's no question money talks, I never implied any differently. In fact, I agree, that Sweeney's money is probably better spent elsewhere, but he did take LESS to stay in Kansas City. I avoided the money issue earlier, because I just wanted to chime in on him being a TEAM player. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Nope. Never have enough pitching.
until you can't score any runs..... (see first 40 games of the season)

Goapics1
06-13-2005, 09:17 AM
That was an abberation. Gather enough young pitching prospects, then trade some for everyday players. All teams are always looking for pitching. I am not a GM but I play one on TV.

ChiTown
06-13-2005, 09:19 AM
There's no question money talks, I never implied any differently. In fact, I agree, that Sweeney's money is probably better spent elsewhere, but he did take LESS to stay in Kansas City. I avoided the money issue earlier, because I just wanted to chime in on him being a TEAM player. Nothing more. Nothing less.

That's cool.

I just think money plays a part in everything you do in professional sports......no matter who the player is.

Beerme:
At the time, he probably took $2-3MM less per year. I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone, but the Royals, talking about a 5 year deal.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 09:20 AM
That was an abberation. Gather enough young pitching prospects, then trade some for everyday players. All teams are always looking for pitching. I am not a GM but I play one on TV.
I have to respectfully disagree that it was an abberation that we had trouble scoring with such heavy hitters as Teahen, Buck, Graffanino, Marerro and Gotay. I'm just thankful that they're finally starting to get the hang of it.... for now at least.

Goapics1
06-13-2005, 09:22 AM
I have to respectfully disagree that it was an abberation that we had trouble scoring with such heavy hitters as Teahen, Buck, Graffanino, Marerro and Gotay. I'm just thankful that they're finally starting to get the hang of it.... for now at least.
What's the old saying "You can always teach someone to hit, but you cannot teach someone to throw a 95 mph fastball"? I'm not sure who said, hell maybe I made it up.

grandllama
06-13-2005, 09:47 AM
When's the last time sweeney had a clutch rbi homerun or hit

HemiEd
06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Nice post Beer Me, but I have been in the trade him camp. I appreciate all of the good things that you so eloquently mention. However, if we are truly trying to build a team like the Twins we must let them all grow up together IMO.
I am of the "screw today" camp, let's invest for tomorrow. I do enjoy seeing them win now though when they do. I guess I want my cake and eat it also.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2005, 10:17 AM
seems to me that the Royals play just as well without Sweeney as they do with him.

11 million dollar a year for that kind of irrelevancy??

nothing personal, but :shrug:

keg in kc
06-13-2005, 10:25 AM
seems to me that the Royals play just as well without Sweeney as they do with him.I'm not sure they don't play better without him.

Just an opinion, but I wouldn't mind seeing his milktoast attitude out the door along with his huge contract. I'm starting to hope he's not a piece of the vaunted plan for the future. Splitting 11-12 million between two younger players, even slightly less talented, who can contribute more than 100 games a year (and play defense) might not be a bad thing.

beavis
06-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure they don't play better without him.

Just an opinion, but I wouldn't mind seeing his milktoast attitude out the door along with his huge contract. I'm starting to hope he's not a piece of the vaunted plan for the future. Splitting 11-12 million between two younger players, even slightly less talented, who can contribute more than 100 games a year (and play defense) might not be a bad thing.
It sure seems like it, offensively at least. Doesn't really make sense, and I'm not attributing it to Mike at all, but kind of a weird coincidence.

I'm kind of sick of his kissey huggy attitude also. I know he's a real sweetheart, but that doesn't necessarily make for a great ballplayer. Not questioning his commitment either, I just think every once in a while, he needs to be able to kick a teammate in the ass instead of being buddy buddy.

And beer me, I'm sorry, but I have a hard time saying any professional athlete who plays a kids game for a helluva nice living "deserved every penny of it".

keg in kc
06-13-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm kind of sick of his kissey huggy attitude also. I know he's a real sweetheart, but that doesn't necessarily make for a great ballplayer. Not questioning his commitment either, I just think every once in a while, he needs to be able to kick a teammate in the ass instead of being buddy buddy.I haven't talked much about it this year, but that's been a concern I've had with having Affeldt and Sweeney as the quote/unquote team leaders.

Pitt Gorilla
06-13-2005, 11:51 AM
There's no question money talks, I never implied any differently. In fact, I agree, that Sweeney's money is probably better spent elsewhere, but he did take LESS to stay in Kansas City. I avoided the money issue earlier, because I just wanted to chime in on him being a TEAM player. Nothing more. Nothing less.
WHO was going to pay a DH more than 11 million per year?

Pitt Gorilla
06-13-2005, 11:53 AM
It seems we've been scoring pretty well without him. Hey, I like his bat in the lineup. But, a guy making that much money shouldn't be striking out on pitches low and away every single game (when he's healthy...)

Mr. Laz
06-13-2005, 12:37 PM
I haven't talked much about it this year, but that's been a concern I've had with having Affeldt and Sweeney as the quote/unquote team leaders.

team playing better without both of them

shakesthecat
06-13-2005, 12:46 PM
I haven't talked much about it this year, but that's been a concern I've had with having Affeldt and Sweeney as the quote/unquote team leaders.

You mean leaders like allowing half the team to skip out on pre-game warmups?

You mean leaders, like not allowing the clubhouse to become so fractured that fights were nearly breaking out.

Those kind of leaders?

Both should be traded for prospects ASAP.
Especially Sweeney.

mikey23545
06-13-2005, 01:20 PM
I thought Sweeney retired a couple of years ago.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 01:44 PM
What's the old saying "You can always teach someone to hit, but you cannot teach someone to throw a 95 mph fastball"? I'm not sure who said, hell maybe I made it up.
I'd claim it if I were you... it's not bad....

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Nice post Beer Me, but I have been in the trade him camp. I appreciate all of the good things that you so eloquently mention. However, if we are truly trying to build a team like the Twins we must let them all grow up together IMO.
I am of the "screw today" camp, let's invest for tomorrow. I do enjoy seeing them win now though when they do. I guess I want my cake and eat it also.
Maybe I'm dreaming here but it seems to me that even teams who say they are "re-building" have at least one proven player to build around.

Who are we to build around if not Sweeney? Berroa? DeJesus? Grienke? These are all guys still trying to find their own way in the league. None of them are ready for team leader status.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I just think every once in a while, he needs to be able to kick a teammate in the ass instead of being buddy buddy.
You mean like that closed door meeting he called all of his team-mates into a month or so ago and proceeded to rake them over the coals for the way they were playing?

And beer me, I'm sorry, but I have a hard time saying any professional athlete who plays a kids game for a helluva nice living "deserved every penny of it".
While I agree that no athelete is worth the money they are paid... I'd rather pay a guy like Sweeney than a guy like Sheffield, Sosa, Bonds or any number of others.

beavis
06-13-2005, 02:05 PM
You mean like that closed door meeting he called all of his team-mates into a month or so ago and proceeded to rake them over the coals for the way they were playing?
Why do I get the feeling a "rake over the coals" involves a lot of "gosh darnits" followed by a "lets us a pray".

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Why do I get the feeling a "rake over the coals" involves a lot of "gosh darnits" followed by a "lets us a pray".
ROFL

Well I don't know about that... could be.... I just remember seeing the article on the Royals web site I believe that said he yelled and threw things and got in their faces.

PunkinDrublic
06-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Sweeney is my favorite Royals player but I wouldn't be upset if we traded him for some younger talent to a contender. I also wouldn't begrudge him if he wanted to be traded to a contending team. Sweeney's an awesome hitter when he's on and is a hell of a good guy so I'd root for whoever the Royals traded him to with the exception of the White Sox, Yankees or Cardinals.

tk13
06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
There was a pretty respectable poster over on the kcroyals.com board... he went to the games in San Fran earlier this week. He's a Royals fan but I guess he also follows the Giants since they are his hometown team. He was hanging around after a game the other night and Mike Sweeney came out and was talking to his family or somebody that was at the game. I guess this guy chatted him up a little bit, and said something to the effect of "Well if you do leave Kansas City we'd welcome you here"... something to that effect, and Sweeney fired back "But that's the thing, I really don't want to be traded." I believe it, we'll see what happens though.

Really in my heart, I don't want to see him traded. I just wish he'd stay healthy. If he did it'd be really hard to see him go... but it's hard to pay somebody that much money when they only play 100-120 games every year. Especially when he still has the value to return some very good prospects. His contract runs out in 2007... so hopefully his money will be off the books in time that we can throw some money at some of these young guys. If we still have him when that time comes I'd welcome us re-signing him at a much lower cost if he still wants to be here. He's a great hitter, a great clutch hitter too... he carried the team on his back for a while there earlier in the season when the offense was struggling. Just wish he could stay healthy. Regardless of what happens, I do think he'll be a Royals HOF'er someday, and I'll cheer him all the way when that time comes.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-13-2005, 03:52 PM
There was a pretty respectable poster over on the kcroyals.com board... he went to the games in San Fran earlier this week. He's a Royals fan but I guess he also follows the Giants since they are his hometown team. He was hanging around after a game the other night and Mike Sweeney came out and was talking to his family or somebody that was at the game. I guess this guy chatted him up a little bit, and said something to the effect of "Well if you do leave Kansas City we'd welcome you here"... something to that effect, and Sweeney fired back "But that's the thing, I really don't want to be traded." I believe it, we'll see what happens though.

Really in my heart, I don't want to see him traded. I just wish he'd stay healthy. If he did it'd be really hard to see him go... but it's hard to pay somebody that much money when they only play 100-120 games every year. Especially when he still has the value to return some very good prospects. His contract runs out in 2007... so hopefully his money will be off the books in time that we can throw some money at some of these young guys. If we still have him when that time comes I'd welcome us re-signing him at a much lower cost if he still wants to be here. He's a great hitter, a great clutch hitter too... he carried the team on his back for a while there earlier in the season when the offense was struggling. Just wish he could stay healthy. Regardless of what happens, I do think he'll be a Royals HOF'er someday, and I'll cheer him all the way when that time comes.
Well said. I think it's really cool how he makes those comments about not wanting to be traded. Seems like other teams fans can see his value more than many of his own teams fans... which is sad.

Pitt Gorilla
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
What could Sweeney say in a closed-door meeting? "You know, if I was out there, I'd be running my ass off. Well, not too hard, cause of the back, you know. But, I'd be thinking about running hard and..."

penguinz
06-13-2005, 03:55 PM
ROFL

Well I don't know about that... could be.... I just remember seeing the article on the Royals web site I believe that said he yelled and threw things and got in their faces.
Did he throw his helmet at anyone? :)