PDA

View Full Version : Rufus: KCChiefs.com is for season ticket holders; others can f*ck off

shaneo69
06-13-2005, 09:52 AM
DAWES: THE ECSTASY NOT THE AGONY
Jun 13, 2005, 9:00:27 AM by Media Watch by Rufus Dawes

There is a term in the naval world known as the agony of collision. This is the interval between when the collision of ships becomes inevitable and the actual moment of impact, during which the captain has to prepare for the worst under precarious conditions. For too many people the months before the start of each Chiefs season is a time to start preparing for the worst.

But for those who are season ticket holders, however, the general feeling is optimism and I bet you’re pumped to attend this weekend’s Sneak Preview out at Arrowhead.

If you read this Web site with any regularity it’s likely you are a Chiefs enthusiast or one of a handful of ego-driven media who want to find out what lies the Chiefs are telling these days. OK, the latter is a bit too insistent, but you know who you are and it’s possible you’re more interested in seeing if your name is appearing in print today. But you’re not the subject of today’s missive.

Today and this Saturday are for Chiefs fans, especially those who are fortunate enough to be season ticket holders or want to be. Season tickets are the litmus test of class acceptance, a gathering ground for like-minded souls, a sanctuary for “people like us” to come together and follow “our team.”

This web site was devised for you. It’s as simple as that. You want the straight scoop from the team’s mouth, don’t spend too much time sweating whether it carries a distinctly pro-team perspective because it does and that’s what you would expect. You can take tough stands from time to time and even live with the occasional barb tossed at the team by the site’s columnists. Even one as disposed as me to be positive is not beneath nodding my head (it’s harder to do in print) in disbelief on something the club has done or not done. (I’ve been writing for years with stupefying redundancy – and obvious lack of success—that drafting is better than free agency, in case you hadn’t noticed.)

Call me a sentimental fool (or worse, for you radio-talk types who are still reading) if you must, but Chiefs fans are just that: sentimental fanatics about the Chiefs, not fanatic about criticizing the Chiefs.

Chiefs fans are normal folks, not elites like media. You’re not swayed by the bastions of doctrinaire thinking that believe it’s a duty to convince you that they know better than you and that all is wrong or about to be. Some of their talk, you deduce, is hypocrisy and insincerity anyway. Much of it is about filling time or space on a blank page of newsprint. Sure, you like the occasional big name the team is wooing on a free agent trip and when you see that individual sign somewhere else, you get piqued. But it’s a momentary pique. Your season ticket renewal statement comes the same day and for a moment, just a moment, you contemplate the thought that you might clip an extra ticket or two off your order. But that’s momentary and even if you think it, acting on it is a far more serious commitment. It’s more likely you don’t drop your entire order. The few cancellations of season ticket accounts – that’s accounts, mind you – the Chiefs ticket office tells me, proves that.

You probably had your doubts when Marty Schottenheimer came to town back in 1989 because you had little reason to have faith in the team back then. In time, you came to like Marty and Carl Peterson but, as is usually the case, grew frustrated when they couldn’t get the team to the Super Bowl. It’s likely more than a fair number of you hated the idea that the offense was so bad and now are just as upset that the defense is dreadful.

You probably were excited when Dick Vermeil was hired because you liked his pedigree and his openness and you still do, although you’ve developed some frustrations with him. But since he’s such an open guy and Peterson isn’t, you save your angry words and thoughts for the ‘ole GM, although it never reaches Jason Whitlock proportions.

Still, you get up every morning and read this site to see what Chiefs news is being made today. You remain engaged, if only because it gives you something else to think about instead of your daily intake of orders from your boss, or your husband or wife. The number of readers in the early mornings of every weekday is large, according to the Web masters. It’s a long work day and Chiefs news serves as a break from memo-reading.

You fall silent in the face of the cranks who routinely fret about the state of the team, tossing accusations at you, but you wait until the team does well and return the favor. In this unique off-season that would be best described as an Era of Good Feeling you are buoyed, although you are smart enough to know that it’s all a crap-shoot once the teams take the field.

The Chiefs will continue to maintain your attention and it has precious little to do with the economy or even wins and losses. Even the media, who seem to think that those seasons are best that make their profession most fun have to agree at the moment, even though it’s not axiomatic that losing always produces more entertainment.

“Man lives by habits indeed,” wrote William James, “but what he lives for is thrills and excitement” and the Chiefs have provided plenty of the latter.

By your measurement the Chiefs have been a success. Kansas City can provide moments of grand amusement. The Chiefs have never cheated you, unless losing an exhilarating playoff game is cheating. If the score doesn’t turn out right, you can at least say you had a great outing with your friends and family and that is enough. You sit in the stands and look around at all the faces, some of which you have seen for years now. Perhaps they have become good friends. You walk out with them after a good game and bad one. You hear some griping – maybe you do some of it yourself – but the next week you and the people seated next to you are back again and just as engaged. You’ll be there this Saturday and it’ll be like new again.

Call us hopeless romantics. Ok, call us something worse those of you who are anxiously gripping the handrail and poised for the collision.

Phobia
06-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Clearly, Rufus has overstayed his welcome. What purpose does the guy serve? Expose the media? Already been done. Now it's just tired ranting. I couldn't even focus on what he was trying to say for all the distracting swipes at the media in that column. Was he trying to say something else?

bobbything
06-13-2005, 10:04 AM
even though it’s not axiomatic that losing always produces more entertainment.
Wrong. See: Kansas City Royals

But for those who are season ticket holders, however, the general feeling is optimism
As opposed to those, such as myself, who watch each game on television. I forgot that I don't count.

Today and this Saturday are for Chiefs fans, especially those who are fortunate enough to be season ticket holders or want to be. Season tickets are the litmus test of class acceptance, a gathering ground for like-minded souls, a sanctuary for “people like us” to come together and follow “our team.”
IIRC, there's already a "Kansas City Country Club." When did the Chiefs become a subsidiary of it?

Seriously, this is about as offensive a statement as I've heard from the Chiefs organization. Not to mention those are big words from someone who hides behind the moniker of a Civil War Colonel and refuses to post his email address.

Brock
06-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Rufus Dawes lives with his mom.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry... my eyes blurred after the 1st paragraph and i was unable to finish his article.

"The media sucks,the media is to blame, the media is persecuting our wonderful front office ... if chiefs fans don't like what we do, then they aren't real fans .........."

does that pretty much sum it up?

Phobia
06-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry... my eye blurred after the 1st paragraph and i was unable to finish his article.

"The media sucks,the media is to blame, the media is persecuting our wonderful front office ... if chiefs fans don't like what we do, then they aren't real fans .........."

That's what I'm reading. But, why would they even care? The media must be a threat or they'd ignore it. This game is silly.

dave0320
06-13-2005, 10:18 AM
I guess people without season tickets are not Chiefs fans! :banghead:

teedubya
06-13-2005, 10:21 AM
i wish i was a real fan. :(

Manila-Chief
06-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Almost make me want to give up the Chiefs. This stuff is really insulting to us "non" fans!!!

Manila-Chief
06-13-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry... my eyes blurred after the 1st paragraph and i was unable to finish his article.

Someone should ask him ... what would happen with the support for the Chiefs if the media were to just shut up about the Chiefs? I mean just don't report on them. That seems to be what he is wanting. But, it's the media that helps drive the interest in the team.

This turkey must be really stupid.

Phil, I agree this is all he knows how to write. And, yes, if he is a "real Chiefs fan" why doesn't he identify himself.

Oh.... I couldn't help but think that he was insulting a bunch of "Real Chiefs Fans" as he was writing. There are a bunch of you season tickets holders here that say the same thing as Whitlock and the other media.

keg in kc
06-13-2005, 10:46 AM
I can usually read just about anything, but that had me bored to tears by the second paragraph.

PastorMikH
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Do the Chiefs recieve a portion of TV Revenues through the collective bargaining agreement? So, I wonder how many TV stations would want to carry the Chiefs if there weren't fans watching at home?

Also, don't the Chiefs recieve a portion of revenue from the sales of items such as clothing and other sorts of "Team Spirit" items?

Seems to me that the Chiefs need to realize that the fans in the bleachers aren't the only ones contributing to the revenue of the team.

I also think Rufas is a joke and an embarassment to the Chiefs website.

Skip Towne
06-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Dufus wants the media to only report the propaganda the Chiefs put out.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Do the Chiefs recieve a portion of TV Revenues through the collective bargaining agreement? So, I wonder how many TV stations would want to carry the Chiefs if there weren't fans watching at home?

Yes

Also, don't the Chiefs recieve a portion of revenue from the sales of items such as clothing and other sorts of "Team Spirit" items?

Yes

Seems to me that the Chiefs need to realize that the fans in the bleachers aren't the only ones contributing to the revenue of the team.

Yep, in fact you could make a point that the Television revenue is MORE important to the success of the Chiefs than the season ticket holders... because the TV money drives the league as a whole

I also think Rufas is a joke and an embarassment to the Chiefs website.

the entire chiefs PR deptment seems to have the wrong idea about the fans in general

trndobrd
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Wow. That was the most flagrantly offensive thing I've read in a long time. Lamar Hunt should be ashamed.

WilliamTheIrish
06-13-2005, 11:21 AM
F*ck you, Rufus!!

I wonder how much $ I've laid down in my years as season tix holder.

Tix. Concessions. Parking. Fuel. Let's see. 76 to 83.
Then 89 to 02.

Make that a double "F*ck you !!" Rufus.

ptlyon
06-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Let's see. 76 to 83.
Then 89 to 02.

See - this is exactly what Rufus is talking about. You missed from 84-88.

You're not a true fan.

htismaqe
06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Clearly, Rufus has overstayed his welcome. What purpose does the guy serve? Expose the media? Already been done. Now it's just tired ranting. I couldn't even focus on what he was trying to say for all the distracting swipes at the media in that column. Was he trying to say something else?

Yep. Rufus IS Kevin Keitzman.

Simplex3
06-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Rufus is a f**king moron. IIRC the Chiefs make far more from merchandise and shared TV revenue than they do on the stadium. Ergo, REALY FANS stay and and watch on TV. Those posers at the game are just gipping the team.

RedThat
06-13-2005, 11:49 AM
DAWES: THE ECSTASY NOT THE AGONY
Jun 13, 2005, 9:00:27 AM by Media Watch by Rufus Dawes

There is a term in the naval world known as the agony of collision. This is the interval between when the collision of ships becomes inevitable and the actual moment of impact, during which the captain has to prepare for the worst under precarious conditions. For too many people the months before the start of each Chiefs season is a time to start preparing for the worst.

But for those who are season ticket holders, however, the general feeling is optimism and I bet you’re pumped to attend this weekend’s Sneak Preview out at Arrowhead.

If you read this Web site with any regularity it’s likely you are a Chiefs enthusiast or one of a handful of ego-driven media who want to find out what lies the Chiefs are telling these days. OK, the latter is a bit too insistent, but you know who you are and it’s possible you’re more interested in seeing if your name is appearing in print today. But you’re not the subject of today’s missive.

This web site was devised for you. It’s as simple as that. You want the straight scoop from the team’s mouth, don’t spend too much time sweating whether it carries a distinctly pro-team perspective because it does and that’s what you would expect. You can take tough stands from time to time and even live with the occasional barb tossed at the team by the site’s columnists. Even one as disposed as me to be positive is not beneath nodding my head (it’s harder to do in print) in disbelief on something the club has done or not done. (I’ve been writing for years with stupefying redundancy – and obvious lack of success—that drafting is better than free agency, in case you hadn’t noticed.)

Call me a sentimental fool (or worse, for you radio-talk types who are still reading) if you must, but Chiefs fans are just that: sentimental fanatics about the Chiefs, not fanatic about criticizing the Chiefs.

Chiefs fans are normal folks, not elites like media. You’re not swayed by the bastions of doctrinaire thinking that believe it’s a duty to convince you that they know better than you and that all is wrong or about to be. Some of their talk, you deduce, is hypocrisy and insincerity anyway. Much of it is about filling time or space on a blank page of newsprint. Sure, you like the occasional big name the team is wooing on a free agent trip and when you see that individual sign somewhere else, you get piqued. But it’s a momentary pique. Your season ticket renewal statement comes the same day and for a moment, just a moment, you contemplate the thought that you might clip an extra ticket or two off your order. But that’s momentary and even if you think it, acting on it is a far more serious commitment. It’s more likely you don’t drop your entire order. The few cancellations of season ticket accounts – that’s accounts, mind you – the Chiefs ticket office tells me, proves that.

You probably had your doubts when Marty Schottenheimer came to town back in 1989 because you had little reason to have faith in the team back then. In time, you came to like Marty and Carl Peterson but, as is usually the case, grew frustrated when they couldn’t get the team to the Super Bowl. It’s likely more than a fair number of you hated the idea that the offense was so bad and now are just as upset that the defense is dreadful.

You probably were excited when Dick Vermeil was hired because you liked his pedigree and his openness and you still do, although you’ve developed some frustrations with him. But since he’s such an open guy and Peterson isn’t, you save your angry words and thoughts for the ‘ole GM, although it never reaches Jason Whitlock proportions.

Still, you get up every morning and read this site to see what Chiefs news is being made today. You remain engaged, if only because it gives you something else to think about instead of your daily intake of orders from your boss, or your husband or wife. The number of readers in the early mornings of every weekday is large, according to the Web masters. It’s a long work day and Chiefs news serves as a break from memo-reading.

You fall silent in the face of the cranks who routinely fret about the state of the team, tossing accusations at you, but you wait until the team does well and return the favor. In this unique off-season that would be best described as an Era of Good Feeling you are buoyed, although you are smart enough to know that it’s all a crap-shoot once the teams take the field.

The Chiefs will continue to maintain your attention and it has precious little to do with the economy or even wins and losses. Even the media, who seem to think that those seasons are best that make their profession most fun have to agree at the moment, even though it’s not axiomatic that losing always produces more entertainment.

“Man lives by habits indeed,” wrote William James, “but what he lives for is thrills and excitement” and the Chiefs have provided plenty of the latter.

By your measurement the Chiefs have been a success. Kansas City can provide moments of grand amusement. The Chiefs have never cheated you, unless losing an exhilarating playoff game is cheating. If the score doesn’t turn out right, you can at least say you had a great outing with your friends and family and that is enough. You sit in the stands and look around at all the faces, some of which you have seen for years now. Perhaps they have become good friends. You walk out with them after a good game and bad one. You hear some griping – maybe you do some of it yourself – but the next week you and the people seated next to you are back again and just as engaged. You’ll be there this Saturday and it’ll be like new again.

Call us hopeless romantics. Ok, call us something worse those of you who are anxiously gripping the handrail and poised for the collision.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Mr. Laz
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
and for those who people insist on trying to separate Rufus Dawes and Carl Peterson by saying they aren't the same person and Carl doesn't tell Rufus Dawes what to say...

i say this...

the chiefs, led by Carl, have never hesitated to try and control,chastise or just completely boycott any media outlet who didn't report Chiefs news in a way that they approve of.

So by the simple fact that Rufus Dawes still has a job on the chiefs very own website indicates that what Dawes says has the approval, if not complete agreement, of Carl Peterson.

if not, Carl would of had Dawes removed

so Carl might as well BE Rufus Dawes ... because he gives his silent approval each time a Dawe's article is posted at KCChiefs.com.

Spicy McHaggis
06-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Rufus needs to sack up and put his real name on these articles. He calls out everyone else by name but won't even sign off on his attacks. It's obvious he has years of pent up frustration from getting far too many wedgies in high school and far too little sex in college.

In short, what a pussy.

HemiEd
06-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I am now officially a Rufus hater. This article is poorly written, insulting and un-called for. WTF! :cuss:

htismaqe
06-13-2005, 12:19 PM
and for those people insist on trying to separate Rufus Dawes and Carl Peterson by saying they aren't the same person and Carl doesn't tell Rufus Dawes what to say, i say this...

the chiefs, led by Carl, has never hesitated to try and control,chastise or just completely boycott any media outlet who didn't report Chiefs news in a way that they approve of.

So by the simple fact that Rufus Dawes still has a job on the chiefs very own website indicates that what Dawes says has the approval, if not complete agreement, of Carl Peterson.

if not Carl would of had Dawes removed ... so Carl might as well BE Rufus Dawes ... cause he gives his approval each time a Dawe's article is posted at KCChiefs.com.

You're exactly right. IMO, inaction = approval.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
You're exactly right. IMO, inaction = approval.
yep ... didn't the chiefs say something about his articles being screened after the last "true fans" article?

i wish one of these hacker types would start digging around and find out where these articles come from. You know there's some kind of computer trail. :fire:

dave0320
06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Dufus is really Jason Whitlick.

bobbything
06-13-2005, 12:32 PM
After the article there is a disclaimer that "The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs."

What bothers me is that while the opinion of this bafoon may not "necessarily" reflect that of the Chiefs, they are still endorsing this guy, and his opinion, by allowing him to continue to post his articles on their site.

Very, very bush-league.

dave0320
06-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Great PR by the Chiefs, pissing-off the fans!

BigChiefFan
06-13-2005, 01:00 PM
I just can't see how an article like this benefits the organization, when it would be so much easier just to keep their mouths shut. Some times I wonder what therir motives are behind such dumbassery.

Edubs
06-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Kevin is talking about this article on 810.......somebody sent him an email about this article....

bobbything
06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
HEY! Kietzman just read my email on air.

Simplex3
06-13-2005, 01:47 PM
HEY! Kietzman just read my email on air.
You're "SmallUnitInRaytown"?

bobbything
06-13-2005, 01:51 PM
You're "SmallUnitInRaytown"?
Uh, no. Did I miss something?

Otter
06-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Wonder how many times he's going to write the same article over.

memyselfI
06-13-2005, 02:04 PM

:hmmm:

Clearly, Dufus' brilliance from last week was a one hit wonder, temporary insanity, type of event. :hmmm:

shaneo69
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Quote from Rufus: "The Chiefs have never cheated you, unless losing an exhilarating playoff game is cheating. If the score doesn’t turn out right, you can at least say you had a great outing with your friends and family and that is enough."

No, Carl, it's not enough. Even tailgating will get old after awhile if playoff wins do not come soon.

milkman
06-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Quote from Rufus: "The Chiefs have never cheated you, unless losing an exhilarating playoff game is cheating. If the score doesn’t turn out right, you can at least say you had a great outing with your friends and family and that is enough."

No, Carl, it's not enough. Even tailgating will get old after awhile if playoff wins do not come soon.

And in case he didn't notice, except for the Montan playoff year, those Chiefs teams averaged about 11 points a game, and there ain't nuthin' "exhilarating" about that.

This article is nothing but an insulting piece of crap.

If I was Doofus, I'd be too ashamed to put my real name on it too.