PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially in the fireworks business and still need some help

Nzoner
06-13-2005, 08:36 PM
The semi arrived today and we've been unloading,pricing etc. etc. Hardest damn work I've done in awhile.

If you'll be in the St Joe area keep us in mind,it would be greatly appreciated.We have some coupons for some free kids items as well as a gross of bottle rockets for 69 cents and a box of artillery shells for $1.89

I'm also still looking for a couple of part timers who want to make a lil extra cash.

Carry On.

Mile High Mania
06-13-2005, 08:38 PM
I remember riding my bike to the fireworks' stand when I was younger... we would buy the coolest stuff we could afford and blow things up on the way home. Fun times.

teedubya
06-13-2005, 08:39 PM
fuggin spammers, wait until they have 4500 posts... then they start ruining the boards.

:shake:

Next thing you know Michael Jackson will be found Not Guilty. WTF!?

Hammock Parties
06-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Make sure you invest in obnoxious signs.

Nzoner
06-13-2005, 08:42 PM
fuggin spammers, wait until they have 4500 posts... then they start ruining the boards.

:shake:

Next thing you know Michael Jackson will be found Not Guilty. WTF!?

Damn,I forgot to mention that my Chiefs Planet donation will be based on how well I do.

go bo
06-13-2005, 08:50 PM
that sounds reasonable...

now if you just lived a little closer... :(

teedubya
06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Make sure you invest in obnoxious signs.

GoChiefs knows obnoxious.

ROFL

Yessssss!

jspchief
06-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Don't smoke on the job.

That's all the help I can offer.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2005, 08:55 PM
GoChiefs knows obnoxious.

ROFL

Yessssss!

:cuss:

Miles
06-13-2005, 08:58 PM
No, moleste el gato spectacular.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/8/8f/Ned.gif

arrowheadnation
06-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I've helped my aunt and uncle run their fireworks stand for the last 7 summers. Granted, here in KS we can't sell year round like you guys can, and we don't get "the good stuff" (bottle rockets/war head launchers) like you do, and it gets boring sitting there the first few days when nobody shows up (except for little kids with their pennies, dimes, and nickels), but something always keeps me going back. You'll enjoy doing it.

As far as tips, the number 1 thing I'd do is make sure to shoot off one of everything so you can explain what they do for people when they ask....and THEY WILL ASK!!! I don't know how serious you are, but you might want to think about buying some airtime on the radio and place some ads in the local newspapers. That's all I've got...

schneider221
06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Joe Dirt: So your gonna' tell me that you don't have no black cats, no roman candles, or screaming mimis?

Kicking Wing: No.

Joe Dirt: Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?

Kicking Wing: No, I don't.

Joe Dirt: You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Kicking Wing: No... because snakes and sparklers are the only ones I like.

Joe Dirt: Well that might be your problem, it's not what you like, it's the consumer.

Mile High Mania
06-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Joe Dirt: So your gonna' tell me that you don't have no black cats, no roman candles, or screaming mimis?

Joe Dirt: Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?

Joe Dirt: You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Joe Dirt: Well that might be your problem, it's not what you like, it's the consumer.

:clap: ROFL

JimNasium
06-14-2005, 06:15 AM
I've helped my aunt and uncle run their fireworks stand for the last 7 summers. Granted, here in KS we can't sell year round like you guys can, and we don't get "the good stuff" (bottle rockets/war head launchers) like you do, and it gets boring sitting there the first few days when nobody shows up (except for little kids with their pennies, dimes, and nickels), but something always keeps me going back. You'll enjoy doing it.

As far as tips, the number 1 thing I'd do is make sure to shoot off one of everything so you can explain what they do for people when they ask....and THEY WILL ASK!!! I don't know how serious you are, but you might want to think about buying some airtime on the radio and place some ads in the local newspapers. That's all I've got...
Is airtime and ads really worth it? I usually just go to the closest place.

Bob Dole
06-14-2005, 06:21 AM
that sounds reasonable...

now if you just lived a little closer... :(

Looking for some PT work, huh?

Nzoner
06-14-2005, 06:24 AM

I got involved with a large company that had us all up a few weekends ago for a meeting,eats,drinks and a big firework show at the end of the night so we could take notes on what everything did.

They also take care of all the advertising and besides using my direct mail piece are also doing various other forms.

Thanks for the input.

Eleazar
06-14-2005, 06:27 AM
Which is your place? One of those year-round ones?

Nzoner
06-14-2005, 06:31 AM
Is airtime and ads really worth it? I usually just go to the closest place.

A buddy of mine ran a small stand in Kansas through the company I metioned above last year.He was only open 5 days and did rather well and 90% of the people who came had the flyer in hand that we had mailed out in our publication.

Nzoner
06-14-2005, 06:34 AM
Which is your place? One of those year-round ones?

No,I'm just down the highway from 2 of them though,however,like them I do have an air conditioned warehouse for your shopping comfort.

JimNasium
06-14-2005, 06:51 AM
A buddy of mine ran a small stand in Kansas through the company I metioned above last year.He was only open 5 days and did rather well and 90% of the people who came had the flyer in hand that we had mailed out in our publication.
I can see a mailer targeted at adjacent neighborhoods. I question the efficacy of radio and television ads though. I would no sooner drive across town to buy fireworks than hang out with gochiefs.

Eleazar
06-14-2005, 07:03 AM
No,I'm just down the highway from 2 of them though,however,like them I do have an air conditioned warehouse for your shopping comfort.

Ok, I dont live in the area, but I wondered if you were one of the ones I used to see along 29 when I was driving up to Maryville.

Chiefsrocker
06-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Since I am in Kansas, I cant get any cool fireworks, so I got to go to Missouri. I am about an hour from St Joe. Where is your stand at there????

Donger
06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
I just received a flyer in the mail from fireworks.com. I wish I hadn't; preliminary budget looks to be around $500 this year.

Calcountry
06-14-2005, 06:39 PM

Joe Dirt: Well that might be your problem, it's not what you like, it's the consumer.So true, I found that out when I first introduced chocolate bars in my store.

I hate coconut, but Almond Joys sold like crazy.

Donger
06-14-2005, 06:40 PM
So true, I found that out when I first introduced chocolate bars in my store.

I hate coconut, but Almond Joys sold like crazy.

Then again, Joe Dirt also said: "I got the poo on me!"

Nzoner
06-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Ok, I dont live in the area, but I wondered if you were one of the ones I used to see along 29 when I was driving up to Maryville.

I'm about one mile from the ones you see off I-29.Stop by and say hey if you get a chance,hell I'll even offer ya a beer if you'd like one.

Nzoner
06-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Since I am in Kansas, I cant get any cool fireworks, so I got to go to Missouri. I am about an hour from St Joe. Where is your stand at there????

It's in a warehouse on North 71 Highway,just off of I-29.We've been unloading all day again today and I've got some decent stuff,of course it is the Class C variety.I've got a large selection of multi-shot and artillery shells though.

If you have further interest feel free to send me a smoke.

Nzoner
06-22-2005, 10:44 PM
I knew it would be like this but these first few days have been BORING.I sure wish more people would do their firework shopping a little earlier.

go bo
06-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Looking for some PT work, huh?i wish...

DanT
06-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Do the truck drivers make extra for carrying those kind of loads?

Nzoner
06-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Do the truck drivers make extra for carrying those kind of loads?

I don't know,the company that set me up takes care of that,however,now that you mention it seems it would be fair.

KCChiefsMan
06-23-2005, 08:42 AM
I worked at a fireworks stand when I was about 15 or so. We got to blow up everything on the night of the 4th, that was pretty fun

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Ya got any cherry bombs or M-80's?

Nzoner
06-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Ya got any cherry bombs or M-80's?

No.

Like I'd post that on a public message board anyhow.

Nzoner
07-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Holy shit what a 1st season!!!

I think I may have found a new line of sales work.

Logical
07-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Congrats, hopefully they don't get ridiculous in regulating it, like they have in so many states.

Nzoner
07-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Congrats, hopefully they don't get ridiculous in regulating it, like they have in so many states.

Thanks.

As for the regulation I don't know,Missouri is the most open of all the states.Hell,I've got 2 of those giant superstores just 1 mile from my place not to mention 2 others in the same city of only 70,000.

ExtremeChief
07-04-2005, 05:25 AM
What's your profit margin? I have a friend that says he gets about 100% although, since I buy from him, I would guess it's really closer to 200%.

KC2004
07-04-2005, 08:05 AM
You wouldnt happen to be selling for Kaboom? I have my stand here in NE Mo. Not a bad year so far. One good thing about owning your own stand is ya get all the profit!

WolfDawg
07-04-2005, 08:42 AM
I can see a mailer targeted at adjacent neighborhoods. I question the efficacy of radio and television ads though. I would no sooner drive across town to buy fireworks than hang out with gochiefs.

So does this mean if gochiefs lived on the same block you would hang out with him?

stevieray
07-04-2005, 08:46 AM
One of my very first jobs was painting a fireworks stand.

Skip Towne
07-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I just found out possession of fireworks in Tulsa, Ok is illegal. Yes possession

Nzoner
07-04-2005, 09:10 AM
What's your profit margin? I have a friend that says he gets about 100% although, since I buy from him, I would guess it's really closer to 200%.

As I stated earlier in the thread I'm actually managing for a group out of Nebraska,I get a percentage of sales up to $20,000 then a higher percentage of sales over $20,000.I hit the higher percentage as of Friday.The only thing I pay for out of my cut is my employees.

This group,called Kaboomers,takes care of everything else.They supply the fireworks,the insurance,the permits,the signs,the tables,they pay for all the advertising(which in my case having the ad publication has been very nice),they will even supply the tent and generator if you're operating an outside location.

Also,in my case we're using our buildings warehouse so I'm also getting rent and additional insurance as well since I'm the landlord.

FWIW,this is their first year in Missouri(now 150 total locations overall)and they're looking for other locations.So if anyone is interested in in giving this a try next year let me know and I'll see if I can get you hooked up.

teedubya
07-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Damn Joe, quit spamming... ****er!!11