PDA

View Full Version : Four Days of fun in the Sun! (Gearhead thread)

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 08:48 AM
My Buddy brought his Drag Car up to Joliet for the Route 66 Nationals last weekend. He got here on Wednesday night and we finished up on Sunday. We had a heck of a lot of fun, just like old times. We had to seriously "thrash" on the car to get it to "run the number" on Thursday. It is unseasonally hot here, which makes for "bad air." He ended up winning his class but lost second round of overall eliminations. Winning his class will pay the expenses for his trip.

Skip Towne
06-14-2005, 08:54 AM
What kind of car. Tell us about it.

Demonpenz
06-14-2005, 08:58 AM
what did you guys dial in?

ptlyon
06-14-2005, 09:10 AM
I love the smell of nitro in the morning...

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 09:16 AM
What kind of car. Tell us about it.
He was entered in "Stock" class. This is the most restricted class in Drag racing. It was a 71 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland motor. These cars have to have an original carb, body parts, trans, interior, cam, valves, heads, rocker arms etc. They will spend up to $5000 on a trans!
We found the needed .4 seconds in the .007 valve lash adjustment. We were icing down the intake manifold and taking it off right before going to the water box.

what did you guys dial in?

The class index was 12.16 and he qualified with an 11.12. He had the other cars "covered" in the class by over a tenth of a second. That is a lot in drag racing as you may know. Class eliminations were easy.
We went an 11.12 first round of final eliminations, eight hours later we dialed an 11.15 second round and it would not run the number even though the air reading said it should. It went an 11.23 and he cut a .031 light.

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 09:20 AM
I love the smell of nitro in the morning...

There was a lot of that, but I actually prefer the smell of VP racing fuel. It has such a sweet smell.
It was fun to be in the staging lanes with the likes of Whit Bazemore, John Force, Lee Beard, Gary Scelzi etc.

ptlyon
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Bazemore is a puke

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Bazemore is a puke

Being a Mopar guy myself, I have learned to tolerate him. He has come across very crass to the public so I fully indentify with your sentiment. I felt the same way before he joined the Mopar camp. You might appreciate the fact that he did not qualify at this event. Two of the local guys that I have met, Bob Bode and Dale Creasy Jr., did qualify though!

Radar Chief
06-14-2005, 09:36 AM
We found the needed .4 seconds in the .007 valve lash adjustment. We were icing down the intake manifold and taking it off right before going to the water box.

Ya lost me with the “water box”, what is that?

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Ya lost me with the “water box”, what is that?

That is the area that they keep wet right as you enter your lane. It is much easier on stuff to start with wet tires when you do your burn out. Top fuel guys roll right through the water but the water helps them as well. We would roll right to the edge and then come out as soon as the tires started smoking. That gets the tires hot, sticky and clean.

ptlyon
06-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Being a Mopar guy myself, I have learned to tolerate him. He has come across very crass to the public so I fully indentify with your sentiment. I felt the same way before he joined the Mopar camp. You might appreciate the fact that he did not qualify at this event. Two of the local guys that I have met, Bob Bode and Dale Creasy Jr., did qualify though!

I like to see the "litte guys" make the field. It is hard to believe the money involved especially up on that end.

DNQ? Awesome! I just have never liked him because he always complained about Force. Guess what punk, Force has been in it for 30 years and puts a lot of money into it so he deserves it.

Radar Chief
06-14-2005, 09:46 AM
That is the area that they keep wet right as you enter your lane. It is much easier on stuff to start with wet tires when you do your burn out. Top fuel guys roll right through the water but the water helps them as well. We would roll right to the edge and then come out as soon as the tires started smoking. That gets the tires hot, sticky and clean.

Ah, dur. :doh!:

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I like to see the "litte guys" make the field. It is hard to believe the money involved especially up on that end.

DNQ? Awesome! I just have never liked him because he always complained about Force. Guess what punk, Force has been in it for 30 years and puts a lot of money into it so he deserves it.

Yes, Force is a true American Success story. I remember a race in the late eighties when they interviewed him, he was broke and done if he did not win the event. The rest is history, he pretty much has his way with the NHRA now. He has built quite an empire since that pivotal race.
I think Whit was trying to cultivate a rivalry with Force and came across wrong. He has no people skills that I have noticed. Warren Johnson comes across that way to me as well.

ptlyon
06-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I think Whit was trying to cultivate a rivalry with Force and came across wrong. He has no people skills that I have noticed. Warren Johnson comes across that way to me as well.

That hits the nail on the head.

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 10:29 AM
That hits the nail on the head.

I think since Whit has joined the Schumacher stable they must be schooling him. He seems to be making an attempt not to come across in such an irritating manner. Fortunately, WJ is retiring after this year. PBJ

ptlyon
06-14-2005, 11:14 AM
I think since Whit has joined the Schumacher stable they must be schooling him. He seems to be making an attempt not to come across in such an irritating manner. Fortunately, WJ is retiring after this year. PBJ

Yes, Twit has changed, and although it is a nice surprise, I still can't stand him.

As for "The Professor", good riddance. I don't really watch anything except the top fuelers anyway.

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Yes, Twit has changed, and although it is a nice surprise, I still can't stand him.

As for "The Professor", good riddance. I don't really watch anything except the top fuelers anyway.

I am actually starting to enjoy the Sportsman classes more. Unbelieveable how much these guys have progressed. There are guys in Stock, driving Half Million dollar tow rigs. :hmmm:
They are squeezing every possible hp out of these things. 2wt oil! Oil pumps take horse power.
The Mustang was leaving practically on it's back bumper (5:29 gear) and going through the traps at over eight grand.

ptlyon
06-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Yep, pretty cool stuff Hemi!

Radar Chief
06-14-2005, 11:58 AM
The Mustang was leaving practically on it's back bumper (5:29 gear) and going through the traps at over eight grand.

Jeez-us :eek:, think your low enough?

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Jeez-us :eek:, think your low enough?

The 60 foot time is what dictates your ET. So the best way to get that 3425 lb. (min.) Ford moving quick is to make it easy on that 351.
I used to run a 538 in my 383 powered Barracuda. The 383 has a large bore and short stroke so it needs the gear help. :)

Skip Towne
06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
What was the mph for that Mustang when it was in the low 11's?

Radar Chief
06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
The 60 foot time is what dictates your ET. So the best way to get that 3425 lb. (min.) Ford moving quick is to make it easy on that 351.
I used to run a 538 in my 383 powered Barracuda. The 383 has a large bore and short stroke so it needs the gear help. :)

I’d think you could quicken up your times a bit if you’d increase gearing just a little, especially since your spinning over 8K at the traps on a “stock” 351C. Your running into a lot of engine inefficiencies spinning that fast, or the faster the motor spins the more resistance to further engine acceleration.
But you’ve been at it a lot longer than I have so maybe my thinking is off track here. :shrug:

Radar Chief
06-14-2005, 01:16 PM

I’d guess just under 130 MPH.

HemiEd
06-14-2005, 02:30 PM
118 was the best.
He also has two Mopar race cars. One goes mid 9s at 135 (injected 340) and the other 8:30s at 160s.(injected 605)

I’d think you could quicken up your times a bit if you’d increase gearing just a little, especially since your spinning over 8K at the traps on a “stock” 351C. Your running into a lot of engine inefficiencies spinning that fast, or the faster the motor spins the more resistance to further engine acceleration.
But you’ve been at it a lot longer than I have so maybe my thinking is off track here. :shrug:

Actually, you build these motors so loose that they would be almost to the worn out stage of a stock motor when it comes to clearances. The blocks are "rocked" (filled with epoxy up to just below the heads) to keep the cylinders round under torque and pressure. Even though they call these stock and are factored at 260 hp by NHRA, he is probably making closer to 500.

I’d guess just under 130 MPH.

The cam is severly limited to stock lift, but you can increase duration. Consequently the MPH suffers some. I used to run 130 in my Cuda mid to low tens.