PDA

View Full Version : Jack Stack BBQ questions.

Megbert
06-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I am going to have some Jack Stack shipped to my house for my B-Day party. I have never eaten there and not living in KC limits my chances to do so - hence the reason for this thread.

Reading the board over the years everytime someone asks about BBQ in KC Jack Stack seems to be the one mentioned most. While living in KC I grew up on Quicks, Rosedale and ate at Bryants a few times.

Basically I am asking what's good? I was thinking about getting some Burnt ends dunno pork or beef, some brisket, and a slab or two along with some sauce. Are the sides worth ordering? Mainly the Cheesy Corn Bake and the BBQ beans.

JACK-STACK (http://jackstackbbq.com/)

Any help would be great.

Donger
06-14-2005, 04:20 PM
I am going to have some Jack Stack shipped to my house for my B-Day party. I have never eaten there and not living in KC limits my chances to do so - hence the reason for this thread.

Reading the board over the years everytime someone asks about BBQ in KC Jack Stack seems to be the one mentioned most. While living in KC I grew up on Quicks, Rosedale and ate at Bryants a few times.

Basically I am asking what's good? I was thinking about getting some Burnt ends dunno pork or beef, some brisket, and a slab or two along with some sauce. Are the sides worth ordering? Mainly the Cheesy Corn Bake and the BBQ beans.

Any help would be great.

This is going to be an interesting thread...

Personally, I've never had something there that I didn't like. I love their back ribs, all sandwiches and the burnt ends. And, yes, the cheesy cord stuff and their beans are extremely tasty.

Great, now I have to think up another reason to come to KC on business.

jjjayb
06-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Everything I've had there has been excellent. Steaks, ribs, fish, burnt ends, you name it. Whatever you get will be great. Oh, and the beans are great too.

KC Kings
06-14-2005, 04:27 PM
From front to back of the menu, Jacks Stack is the best BBQ on the planet, and every menu item is good. You can find certain items that may be beter at other places, but overall there is none better.

But, looking at the online menu I can't say that I see any item worth the price to get it sent to your house. If you don't care about the cash, I would say anything but the lamb ribs.

foxman
06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
I am going to have some Jack Stack shipped to my house for my B-Day party.

WOW, they ship? hmmmmm I wonder what a shipment to NC would involve, I might have to check into this for my Birthday as well.

Excellent thread!

Donger
06-14-2005, 05:13 PM
WOW, they ship? hmmmmm I wonder what a shipment to KC would involve, I might have to check into this for my Birthday as well.

Excellent thread!

Yeah. I was there a few weeks ago and saw that. Everything's frozen, of course, and shipped packed in dry ice, I think.

At the time I didn't care to get catch the details, as I was enjoying a slab of back ribs and a few Pale Ales.

brorth
06-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Finally, something I can talk about and not sound like a freaking moron. You need the Crown Prime Short Ribs, BBQ Beans and cheesy corn. The Crown Prime is 3 ribs cut so that they each carry 3 or 4 ozs of prime rib, along with the already thick short rib. It's the only set of ribs a man should get from jack stack.

JimNasium
06-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Oklahoma Joe's.

Phobia
06-14-2005, 06:57 PM
You need the lamb ribs. Spectacular.

Skip Towne
06-14-2005, 07:03 PM
You need the lamb ribs. Spectacular.
Contrarian.

Simplex3
06-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Finally, something I can talk about and not sound like a freaking moron.

I'll take that bet.

;)

eazyb81
06-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Like everyone else said, you really can't go wrong at Jack Stack, everything is good. Put it this way, I normally hate BBQ beans and I always order them at Jack Stack.

AustinChief
06-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Living in Austin ... I am stuck with what Texans CLAIM to be BBQ.. so I have Jack Stack shipped in every 2-3 months. The pork burnt ends and BBQ beans are the best... but EVERYTHING is good. I usually get those and alot of brisket. Suprisingly it travels really well.

--Kyle

BigRedChief
06-14-2005, 09:11 PM
They have the best Baked Beans in town. Lots of good smoked meat thrown in. Too bad you can't get the huge fresh onion rings. They are the bomb,

WebGem
06-14-2005, 09:18 PM
I am going to have some Jack Stack shipped to my house for my B-Day party.
Happy birthday, man. When is it anyways? I move on Sunday for school (its kinda early, but tempe gets boring in the summer), I'm gonna try my best to make it to Sluggo's for a game this year. Believe it or not, I like that place..even though we were 9-0 after the first game there. Anyways, I'm gonna miss the place..but have fun there if you're going.

LocoChiefsFan
06-14-2005, 09:44 PM
This is a little off topic. But, I work at a pork processing plan. I pack ribs, and we sale a bunch to Jack Stack. So, think of me when you eat those pork ribs.

trndobrd
06-14-2005, 09:55 PM
How far away can they ship?

Phobia
06-14-2005, 11:27 PM
This is a little off topic. But, I work at a pork processing plan. I pack ribs, and we sale a bunch to Jack Stack. So, think of me when you eat those pork ribs.

Can you get me a deal?

Miles
06-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Living in Austin ... I am stuck with what Texans CLAIM to be BBQ.. so I have Jack Stack shipped in every 2-3 months. The pork burnt ends and BBQ beans are the best... but EVERYTHING is good. I usually get those and alot of brisket. Suprisingly it travels really well.

--Kyle

Have you tried John Mueller's near campus? A friend took me there last time I was up in Austin and it was pretty decent.

Manila-Chief
06-15-2005, 04:27 AM
But, looking at the online menu I can't say that I see any item worth the price to get it sent to your house. If you don't care about the cash, I would say anything but the lamb ribs.

Price? Got that right! Makes Phil and the smokers going the correct path. In fact it wouldn't take too many order to pay for a fancy smoker.

wildcat09
06-15-2005, 06:38 AM
my boss is the owner of jack stack. he is a pathologist at the hospital lab i work at. i love it when we have parties because he always caters it. i really like going to lunch with him. now that i think about it i think i might head there today. its straight vip when we go. nothing like eating at jack stack with the owner.

chief52
06-15-2005, 06:45 AM
So when I come to KC for the Eagles game Jack Stack is the barbecue place to go. I will be there three days and will try for the entire KC experience.

wildcat09
06-15-2005, 06:48 AM
So when I come to KC for the Eagles game Jack Stack is the barbecue place to go. I will be there three days and will try for the entire KC experience.

jack stack is a part of the total kc experience

Skip Towne
06-15-2005, 07:15 AM
IMO, Bryant's is the best BBQ in KC. I've been going there since '66. The french fries are the best on earth and it's the only place I know of that doesn't use sweet sauce. Be sure to eat there at least once.

Eleazar
06-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Jack Stack is the best, bar none. You can't really get anything bad from there. Burnt ends and ribs are a good place to start.

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 07:37 AM
We had a training class in OP yesterday, so we ate Monday night at the one on 95th and Metcalf. I had spareribs and beef burnt ends with beans. Their beans are awesome.

Megbert
06-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Happy birthday, man. When is it anyways? I move on Sunday for school (its kinda early, but tempe gets boring in the summer), I'm gonna try my best to make it to Sluggo's for a game this year. Believe it or not, I like that place..even though we were 9-0 after the first game there. Anyways, I'm gonna miss the place..but have fun there if you're going.

Actual B-day is June 21 the party is on the 25th. My friend also has a B-day in June so we are killing 2 birds with one stone or party. Yeah I will try and make it out to Sluggos but if no one else is going I may stay home and watch the games on sunday ticket.

BigChiefFan
06-15-2005, 09:23 AM
IMO, Bryant's is the best BBQ in KC. I've been going there since '66. The french fries are the best on earth and it's the only place I know of that doesn't use sweet sauce. Be sure to eat there at least once.
The original Bryant's has gone down hill, IMO. Still cool to go in there, but it's not exactly the cleanest place on Earth.

Megbert
06-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the input.

OK I am thinking Pork burnt ends, brisket, maybe fire kissed wings or hand pulled pork, Cheesy Corn Bake, Beans, couple bottles of sauce. Oh and lots of beer to wash it all down. Too bad I can't get Boulevard out here.

Saulbadguy
06-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Yes.

Megbert
06-15-2005, 09:32 AM
I miss Bryant's sauce. I like the fact it's vinegar based and not sugary so it doesn't burn like most sweeter sauces.

chagrin
06-15-2005, 09:34 AM
my boss is the owner of jack stack. he is a pathologist at the hospital lab i work at. i love it when we have parties because he always caters it. i really like going to lunch with him. now that i think about it i think i might head there today. its straight vip when we go. nothing like eating at jack stack with the owner.

Is his name Krishna Rajanna?
:spock:

KC Dan
06-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I miss Bryant's sauce. I like the fact it's vinegar based and not sugary so it doesn't burn like most sweeter sauces.
That is why whenever I am in KC (ask FDE or Dartgod) that I make a trip to the store and load up on bottles to bring home. I have 4-5 left and should make it to preseason. I only use it on the "special" meals.

wildcat09
06-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Is his name Krishna Rajanna?
:spock:

that would be dr. fiorella

Phobia
06-15-2005, 09:38 AM

It's also low carb for people watching their carbs. I like the stuff, too.

tomahawk kid
06-15-2005, 09:44 AM
I read the other day that Jack Stack actually cooks the beans in a vat underneath the Brisket, capturing all the drippings.

That's got to be the reason that they're so damn addictive.

Saulbadguy
06-15-2005, 09:46 AM
It's also low carb for people watching their carbs. I like the stuff, too.
Is that true??

tomahawk kid
06-15-2005, 09:47 AM
that would be dr. fiorella

Ok, so enlighten us as to the Jack Stack v. Smoke Stack story.

There's a Smoke Stack restaurant next to my house. The menu is similiar, but not quite as extensive as Jack Stack's. The sauce isn't quite the same as Jack Stack's either (not as good).

Phobia
06-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Is that true??

No. I'm lying about it. Heh.

It's not a sugar based sauce. That makes it low carb. It's probably not great for induction, but it's extremely low carb in comparison to any other KC sauce.

Saulbadguy
06-15-2005, 09:51 AM
No. I'm lying about it. Heh.

It's not a sugar based sauce. That makes it low carb. It's probably not great for induction, but it's extremely low carb in comparison to any other KC sauce.
Interesting. I prefer the "Rich and Spicy" sauce to the Original. I always liked it because it wasn't "sweet" like many other sauces i've tried.

Phobia
06-15-2005, 09:52 AM
I can't vouch for the Rich and Spicy. I know for a fact that Original is low carb.

Saulbadguy
06-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Its too bad the fries aren't low carb. I can't seem to bring myself to not eat the fries when i'm there.

Skip Towne
06-15-2005, 09:55 AM
The original Bryant's has gone down hill, IMO. Still cool to go in there, but it's not exactly the cleanest place on Earth.
It never was clean. You should have seen it before Arthur's niece cleaned it up.

wildcat09
06-15-2005, 09:57 AM

There's a Smoke Stack restaurant next to my house. The menu is similiar, but not quite as extensive as Jack Stack's. The sauce isn't quite the same as Jack Stack's either (not as good).

do you live in liberty?

Saulbadguy
06-15-2005, 09:58 AM
It never was clean. You should have seen it before Arthur's niece cleaned it up.
Heh. Tough to imagine that. The floors are pretty slick with grease now a days.

tomahawk kid
06-15-2005, 09:58 AM
do you live in liberty?

Yeah.

Baby Lee
06-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Are you over near Wornall? That Smokestack used to be over where [before Bruce Watkins] 71 HWY turned into Hickman Mills Drive, across the Blue River, past the Sears outlet store, up by the Wonder Bread Store and Der Weinerschnitzel. This Smokestack had been around for longer than the Smokestack in Martin City, but they didn't sue because they were sufficiently geographically seperated [and I think the fact that some people confused them with the MC Smokestack actually HELPED their business]. But when Fiorella opened stores on Metcalf and downtown, the elder Smokestack put it's foot down and forced Fiorella to rename.

Skip Towne
06-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Back before KC was integrated, the Army brought draftees there for induction. At dinner time, the white boys were sent to a greasy spoon that didn't allow blacks. The blacks were taken to Bryant's. It sucked to be a white boy that day.

KC Dan
06-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Just used my gift certificate (Thanks Dart!). Get for my Saturday BBQ!!!

All-Star Pork Pack, Beef Brisket, & Mega-Hickory Beans!

Damn, I am hungary right now. BTW, I think the Rich & Spicy is the Best.

KC Kings
06-15-2005, 10:19 AM

Bryant's takes the brown sugar out of the recipe, and adds two cups of ass sweat. I work close to the race track, and will choose Famous Dave's (who boils their meat before smoking) over Bryant's any day.

If you are looking for good fries, go to LC's. They can not be beat.

A good place to go for an alternative taste, is Bates City BBQ in Mission I think. They smoke with Oak, and just about every other place smokes with hickory. It seems to cause more heartburn and I wouldn't want oak smoked meat all of the time, but it is nice for a change every once in a while.

Baby Lee
06-15-2005, 10:21 AM
will choose Famous Dave's
I had no problem with their meat, but when they put the dinner salad on the same plate, right on top of the meat, it pissed me off.

teedubya
06-15-2005, 10:31 AM
if you mention "610 sports" you will get a 10% discount.

You're Welcome.

KChiefs1
06-15-2005, 10:33 AM
WTF is Famous Dave's?

tomahawk kid
06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
WTF is Famous Dave's?

You don't want to know. Its a franchise that sells ("shudder") St Louis Style bbq.

:shake:

KChiefs1
06-15-2005, 10:44 AM
St Louis Style bbq.

ROFL

Baby Lee
06-15-2005, 10:44 AM
You don't want to know. Its a franchise that sells ("shudder") St Louis Style bbq.

:shake:
"St. Louis style" is a way to CUT ribs, not a rub or or sauce or method of cooking.

tomahawk kid
06-15-2005, 10:53 AM
"St. Louis style" is a way to CUT ribs, not a rub or or sauce or method of cooking.

I don't care. Anything with "St Louis" in the description isn't for me.

Baby Lee
06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't care. Anything with "St Louis" in the description isn't for me.
Laugh all you want, but there's a certain BBQ joint called Bandanas that started here in St. Louis [Arnold, actually] that is shaping up to be among the best around. They have one in St. Joseph and Columbia, if you can't bring yourself to eat BBQ in St. Louis.

tomahawk kid
06-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Laugh all you want, but there's a certain BBQ joint called Bandanas that started here in St. Louis [Arnold, actually] that is shaping up to be among the best around. They have one in St. Joseph and Columbia, if you can't bring yourself to eat BBQ in St. Louis.

Thanks for the tip.

AustinChief
06-15-2005, 11:25 AM

Bandanas is that "southern" style crap...

Simple fact... the South knows two things about BBQ... Jack and Sh!t (and Jack left town)

--Kyle

Baby Lee
06-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Bandanas is that "southern" style crap...

Simple fact... the South knows two things about BBQ... Jack and Sh!t (and Jack left town)

--Kyle
You're so full of sh!t, your eyes are brown.
They have two types of Carolina style [mustard based] sauce among their sauce selections, doesn't make the whole operate 'southern style.'

You're sounding a lot like a 70's Auto Worker complaining about them 'crappy Jap cars' coming into the marketplace.

foxman
06-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Bandanas that started here in St. Louis. They have one in St. Joseph.

Is that the Que spot right off the highway.. 29 I think. Kind of across from the Holiday Inn?

If thats the one, we ate there 2 years ago the last time I was in the area. It was ok, not smokehouse, but it got us through lunch.

KC Dan
06-15-2005, 11:47 AM
They have two types of Carolina style [mustard based] sauce among their sauce selections, doesn't make the whole operate 'southern style.'
HUH?

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I read the other day that Jack Stack actually cooks the beans in a vat underneath the Brisket, capturing all the drippings.

That's got to be the reason that they're so damn addictive.

Actually they cook EVERYTHING under the brisket. The drippings flavor everything else. They cook the briskets the day before they're actually served - they use them for flavoring everything else for the first few hours.

Yes, I've seen the inside of their BBQ pits. :D

Baby Lee
06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
HUH?
Not sure what your question is.

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 11:51 AM

Points for you! :thumb:

To be totally specific, "St. Louis style" is a way to cut spare ribs.

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 11:52 AM

You're sounding a lot like a 70's Auto Worker complaining about them 'crappy Jap cars' coming into the marketplace.

I've actually grown quite fond of a couple of Carolina/Georgia-style sauce recipes. One is mustard-based, the other uses apple juice and cider vinegar.

Baby Lee
06-15-2005, 11:59 AM
I've actually grown quite fond of a couple of Carolina/Georgia-style sauce recipes. One is mustard-based, the other uses apple juice and cider vinegar.
I greatly prefer my sauce molasses based, sweet and smoky. But I've gotten to like Bandana's mustard based because it's so dang full of hot pepper sauce and makes a good change of pace. I usually switch between smoky and spicy, smoky and spicy.

keg in kc
06-15-2005, 12:07 PM
I order Jack Stack for family once or twice a year. I try to get something different every time. I've yet to get a single complaint. Strangely enough, though, the beans seem to garner the most amazed comments. But whatever you decide on, you really can't go wrong. Unless a bunch of vegetarians show up.

KC Kings
06-15-2005, 12:18 PM

I never could aquire the taste to enjoy Carolina bbq sauce. I will use it to mop, but have to put a tomato based sauce on towards the end of the process.

A lot of BBQ places in NC and VA have Carolina style cole slaw, which kind of taste like regular cole slaw mixed with tabasco, and it taste pretty good. The only kind of BBQ style that I saw a lot in the south that I ever used myself was applesauce. A couple people I knew would put apple sauce in a spray bottle, and soak a pork butt down every 45 minutes or so, and gives it a pretty nice taste. The only bad thing is that they always "pull" the pork, and drown it in sauce so you can't taste the meat as much.

Phobia
06-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Since we're beginning to stray from the original topic, I'll repeat post this:

I've been smoking chicken for a while now, usually dry or with a rub. Yesterday I experimented with a brine.

I used a variety of ingredients, but the base was cider vinegar and peanut oil.

It made all the difference in the world, chilling the chicken in a brine for 4 hours before smoking. Outstanding. I have a 5 pepper oil I'm looking forward to trying as a brine ingredient the next go around.

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I guess I'm just not discriminating when it comes to BBQ sauce. All of it has a place at one time or another.

I like tomato sauces, molasses, brown suger, vinegar, hot peppers, mustard...they all have their place.

AustinChief
06-15-2005, 01:00 PM

Actually they are the ones who CLAIM to be "southern style".. the founder is from Florida and makes a big deal out of it.

My family in St. Joe don't think much of the place and I personally have been exposed to "southern style" for long enough to know it is mostly crap. I will withhold judgement on them for now.. but no one will convince me that "southern style" bbq is anything other than crap.

From their website...

At the heart of the Bandana's story is a dedicated family of restaurateurs, dating back over a century and four generations. David Seitz represents the third generation, while today, his son Jonathon works at his side in this proud family tradition. David learned the slow, southern style smoking process for barbeque as a boy in Jacksonville, Florida.

... if you want what is often recognized as one of the "best" in that "style" than you need to try this place http://www.kreuzmarket.com/about.shtml

The problem is, even though it is much better than the rest around here... it still is "souhtern" crap.

My $.02,
Kyle

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Actually they are the ones who CLAIM to be "southern style".. the founder is from Florida and makes a big deal out of it.

My family in St. Joe don't think much of the place and I personally have been exposed to "southern style" for long enough to know it is mostly crap. I will withhold judgement on them for now.. but no one will convince me that "southern style" bbq is anything other than crap.

From their website...

... if you want what is often recognized as one of the "best" in that "style" than you need to try this place http://www.kreuzmarket.com/about.shtml

The problem is, even though it is much better than the rest around here... it still is "souhtern" crap.

My $.02,
Kyle

The problem I have with that is that it's way too general.

Texas BBQ is southern, as is Memphis-style, Alabama-style, and Carolina-style. All of them are quite different.

AustinChief
06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
The problem I have with that is that it's way too general.

Texas BBQ is southern, as is Memphis-style, Alabama-style, and Carolina-style. All of them are quite different.

Fair enough... but normally "southern style" refers to the process by which they smoke the meat... not sauces which is more sub-regional. Actually one of my biggest complaints has to do with the lack of quality meat in the south.. not really their fault.. but it does make a huge difference when compared to midwestern BBQ.

htismaqe
06-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Fair enough... but normally "southern style" refers to the process by which they smoke the meat... not sauces which is more sub-regional. Actually one of my biggest complaints has to do with the lack of quality meat in the south.. not really their fault.. but it does make a huge difference when compared to midwestern BBQ.

Well, from everywhere I've been the only difference in the smoking process is which wood they use. Fruit woods are popular on the southeast, mesquite in Texas, hickory in KC...

I guess I'm not sure what you're talking about.

LocoChiefsFan
06-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Can you get me a deal?
Actually, I can get em at an employee discount. I'm just not sure how much it is. One case is 12 ribs. I could check for ya. I bet I can get em cheaper than you could from the grocery store or Jack stack. I can only get em by the case. If you're interested let me know, and I'll check for ya. We cut St. Louis style also. Pretty much any cut you want we do em.

Phobia
06-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Actually, I can get em at an employee discount. I'm just not sure how much it is. One case is 12 ribs. I could check for ya. I bet I can get em cheaper than you could from the grocery store or Jack stack. I can only get em by the case. If you're interested let me know, and I'll check for ya. We cut St. Louis style also. Pretty much any cut you want we do em.

Cool. We have the 37 Forever event this fall. It would be nice to get a great deal. Please find out what your price breaks are and drop me a PM.

chief52
06-17-2005, 12:27 PM

I am going to hit Brayant's, Gates and Jack Stack during my three day weekend. That should be some good eating. Any advice on what to order? I would think it be all good...I am going to do the KC experience as full as I can.

Hammock Parties
06-17-2005, 12:29 PM
I am going to hit Brayant's, Gates and Jack Stack during my three day weekend.

That's gonna be a monster shit.

Phobia
06-17-2005, 12:32 PM
I am going to hit Brayant's, Gates and Jack Stack during my three day weekend. That should be some good eating. Any advice on what to order? I would think it be all good...I am going to do the KC experience as full as I can.

Order the lamb ribs at Jack Stack, pork ribs at Bryants, and chopped beef at Gates.

Phobia
06-17-2005, 12:34 PM
FWIW, I just discovered Jack Stack's spicy sauce has even fewer carbs than Bryants original. It's not great, though. Tastes like catsup with a bunch of pepper in it.

Baby Lee
06-17-2005, 12:34 PM
At Jack Stack, the beans, onion rings, and slaw are a must. Lots of people like the cheesy corn bake, but my grandma makes something similar that has more heft and flavor, so I'm kind of immune to it's 'charms.'

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 12:40 PM
If, for some reason, you can't make all three, skip Gates. It's fast food.

JimNasium
06-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm going to Memphis a week from today and will probably eat ribs at Rendezvous (http://www.hogsfly.com/index_main.html). I guess my question for que purists is just how big of a sin is this and what should my pennance be?

KC Dan
06-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Ahhhh, arrived this morning!!! Some pulled pork and burnt ends tonight! Tomorrow, ribs, brisket, beans, etc.... Oh yeah!!!

Phobia
06-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Ahhhh, arrived this morning!!! Some pulled pork and burnt ends tonight! Tomorrow, ribs, brisket, beans, etc.... Oh yeah!!!

I made some pulled pork yesterday. I think people enjoyed it today at the tailgate.

Saulbadguy
06-18-2005, 02:59 PM
I made some pulled pork yesterday. I think people enjoyed it today at the tailgate.
:thumb:

I still smell it on my fingers. It made me crave BBQ...so i'm going to Boss Hawgs BBQ tonight. If you are ever in the Topeka area for anything, definately hit that place up.

Reaper16
06-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I was a fan of your pork, Phobia. Tasted great.

That didn't come out right...

Phobia
06-18-2005, 03:27 PM
:thumb:

I still smell it on my fingers. It made me crave BBQ...so i'm going to Boss Hawgs BBQ tonight. If you are ever in the Topeka area for anything, definately hit that place up.

Yeah - like if I ever get elected to the state Senate or something like that?

BigMeatballDave
06-18-2005, 03:32 PM
OMG! I had no idea they would ship food to ya! :drool: I'm lookin' into this. As I recall, their pit beans were one of a kind!

Saulbadguy
06-18-2005, 04:33 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of paying off a legislator. Or just visiting the World Famous Topeka Zoo. Hah.

Baby Lee
06-18-2005, 05:23 PM
People train run outta Stubbsvile.

KC Dan
06-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks Bob, Soph, & Helen, that was a wonderful Xmas present. The burnt ends and pulled pork were mouth-watering. Ribs/brisket tomorrow. Wish I could've tried your food Phil. I'm sure it was great.

BigMeatballDave
06-18-2005, 09:16 PM
How is the quality vs. getting it fresh from the resturant?

arrowhead20
06-19-2005, 04:11 AM
Jack Stack and Smokestack are owned by the same family (Fiorella) Jack Fiorella owns Jack stack and his brother owns smoke stack i think. but the recipes are the same saucewise, Smokestack is cheaper though.

KC Dan
06-19-2005, 07:02 PM
How is the quality vs. getting it fresh from the resturant?
I cannot complain about the quality. It was fabulous at the restaurants and it was very good via shipment. I followed their heating directions to the letter and I just polished off the ribs/brisket/beans 10 min ago. My whole family was pleased and fatter for the experience. I will definately get it shipped here again.

Skip Towne
06-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Pulled pork has negative implications in mixed company. What exactly is "pulled pork"?

Phobia
06-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Pulled pork has negative implications in mixed company. What exactly is "pulled pork"?

I dunno. Mine was shredded Boston Butt with BBQ sauce and some hot sauce mixed in.

Miles
06-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Phobia, did you know of a good place for brisket in Houston? I have tried some of the popular ones and they were fairly disappointing.

Phobia
06-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Phobia, did you know of a good place for brisket in Houston? I have tried some of the popular ones and they were fairly disappointing.

County Line isn't horrible. Their sides are better than their meat, though. Don't pass up the mushrooms.

Other than that, nothing of note. Everything else is equally dry, tough, and sauce runny.

BigMeatballDave
06-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I cannot complain about the quality. It was fabulous at the restaurants and it was very good via shipment. I followed their heating directions to the letter and I just polished off the ribs/brisket/beans 10 min ago. My whole family was pleased and fatter for the experience. I will definately get it shipped here again.Thanks for the info. I'm looking into getting some soon. I haven't eaten there in nearly 10 years...

Miles
06-19-2005, 10:45 PM
County Line isn't horrible. Their sides are better than their meat, though. Don't pass up the mushrooms.

Other than that, nothing of note. Everything else is equally dry, tough, and sauce runny.

I have tried Countly line a while back but the location is pretty inconvenient. I remember it being fairly decent though.

Guess as big as Houston is I was hoping there would be better. Papas isnt too terrible either but they dont smoke the meat enough and their sauce is brutal.

Megbert
06-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Jack Stack is having a "summer sale".

Get 10% off your meal package order by entering this code: SUMMER52W.

They also have 3 new meal packages with introductory pricing. The packages are: KC Comfort, KC Best Seller, and KC Patio Buffet. Code SUMMER51W

They are on sale till the 4th.