PDA

View Full Version : Heap Now Hightest Paid Tight End?

RINGLEADER
06-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Seems to be so. Odd for a guy who did natta. Hope Gonzo doesn't get his feelings hurt...

RINGLEADER
06-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Seems to be so...

TODD GETS A HEAP OF MONEY

Although the terms of tight end Todd Heap's six-year extension with the Ravens are not generally available, a league source has funneled to us some of the key numbers.

Under the deal, which will stretch over seven total years, Heap will earn $30 million. In contrast, Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez is working under a five-year, $20.953 million contract.

Heap's deal, on average, is the richest contract for a tight end in league history. He'll get $4.286 million per year. Gonzalez gets $4.191 million.

One of the other big-money tight ends, Atlanta's Alge Crumpler, has a seven-year deal worth up to $27.833 million if all incentives are reached. Heap's $30 million over seven years represents merely the base pay he'll receive.

Heap gets $14.8 million over the first three years of the deal, more than the $14.053 earned by Gonzalez under the previous record deal for a tight end.

Heap also has the highest combined signing bonus for a tight end, at $11.0 million. Gonzalez got $10 million, Crumpler got $9 million, and Kellnievel got (in theory) $10.4125 million.

The combined bonus money places Heap among the top 15 receiver contracts of all time, putting him in the same high-rent district as Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Eric Moulds, Laveranues Coles, Charles Rodgers, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Keyshawn Johnson, Joey Galloway, and Rod Smith.

Not bad for a guy with a gimpy ankle in 2004, which limited him to 27 catches for 303 yards and three touchdowns. His best season was 2002, when he hauled in 68 receptions for 836 yards and six scores.

StcChief
06-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Ravens continue to amaze me. Surprised that it isn't incentive /performance based

shaneo69
06-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Oh boy. This could be trouble.

papasmurf
06-14-2005, 08:35 PM
carl get the checkbook out. Don't want to hurtTony's little feelings.

milkman
06-14-2005, 08:41 PM
How can the Ravens spend that kind of jack on a freakin' TE that has really only had one good, not great, good season?

SoCalBronco
06-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Heap is worthy. He is a very good TE and is basically their only proven threat in the passing game so they needed to pay him.

Just hope that you guys dont see a line on KFFL saying: Gonzalez hires Rosenhaus.

Mile High Mania
06-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Heap is worthy. He is a very good TE and is basically their only proven threat in the passing game so they needed to pay him.

Just hope that you guys dont see a line on KFFL saying: Gonzalez hires Rosenhaus.

That was the case in the past ... the Ravens signed Derrick Mason and drafted Michael Clayton, so Boller is running out of excuses. If he can't do well with those 2, Heap and Lewis... he needs to join the arena league.

alanm
06-14-2005, 09:50 PM
carl get the checkbook out. Don't want to hurtTony's little feelings.
Carl's usually pretty good about taking care of his favorites. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see Tony's contract reworked on the QT and make him the highest paid TE shortly. :) He did it with Priest a couple of years ago. :thumb:

RealSNR
06-14-2005, 09:55 PM
I'll never forget when Merril Hoge said that Todd Heap is the best TE in the NFL. ROFL

Spicy McHaggis
06-14-2005, 10:55 PM
My favorite Heap moment was watching McCleon jump up and snatch a long pass intended for him. That midget owned you Todd, hang your head in shame.

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2005, 11:12 PM
First thought that crossed my mind: Whiney Gonzalez 2?

RedThat
06-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Seems to be so. Odd for a guy who did natta. Hope Gonzo doesn't get his feelings hurt...

Yeah. I hope this doesn't play an influencial role for Gonzo to demand more money

Kerberos
06-15-2005, 06:32 AM
That was the case in the past ... the Ravens signed Derrick Mason and drafted Michael Clayton, so Boller is running out of excuses. If he can't do well with those 2, Heap and Lewis... he needs to join the arena league.

Don't think he could hack the arena league ... you have to be able to think FAST and he shows none of that in the past!

:D

InChiefsHeaven
06-15-2005, 06:46 AM
Man, the thing is, "records" are made to be broken. If the Ravens want to pay that much for a Heap of crap, that's their prerogative. I just can't imagine why they think he's worth top dollar after last season. I hope Gonzo just honors his HUGE frickin' contract. The difference is a few million, but our boy Tony ain't hurting. You can't be the highest paid athlete every year...

Mile High Mania
06-15-2005, 07:28 AM
I think Heap has great potential to be a top 2 or 3 TE in the league for the next 5-6 seasons. The problem is that he's played on an offense with freaking Boller and they have only recently attempted to bring in quality receivers (Mason, Clayton).

So, I think this was also a contract based on what he's been able to show on the field as well as his potential. Heap has huge upside if Boller ever figures it out and with Fassel .. .they should have a decent attack.