PDA

View Full Version : Q/A WR Az Hakim 6/15

CoMoChief
06-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Q&A WR AZ HAKIM
Jun 15, 2005, 3:10:23 PM

Q: Was it an easy decision to come to Kansas City?

HAKIM: “No, I wouldn’t say it was easy. I just took my time and weighed my options. I wanted it to be the right situation. I thought I fit well here.”

Q: I heard that you had offers from other teams but what was so attractive about this?

HAKIM: “Mainly for one offensively and scheme-wise and what they do and how my routes are already developed for this type of offense Coach Saunders and Dick Vermeil run. Offensively their type of structure for me is right so I thought it would be an ideal situation.

Who the hell in the media is asking these questions. How many times can our reporters possibly ask the same question over and over and over again?!?!

Q: Coach Vermeil said nothing was guaranteed, you must compete like everyone else, what is your outlook?

HAKIM: “Yes, absolutely nothing is guaranteed and that is just the nature of this business. I have to go out there and compete just like everyone else. There are no guarantees but I am going to go out there and leave everything on the field. ”

Q: Are you healthy because I know in Detroit you had your injuries here and there?

HAKIM: “Absolutely, I am healthy. I had a dislocated hip in 2002. I have been playing ever since then and haven’t had any problems with my hip. I had a loose body part as far as my knee concerned. You are going to get your nicks and injuries in a place football of your career. I came back from my hip injury and I feel really good right now as far as my body movement. I have been working real hard this off-season. I feel good about my decision and where I am at.”

Q: Coach Vermeil said if you are anything close to what you are in 2000 you will help this team out a lot, how close are you to your performance back in the Super Bowl year?

HAKIM: “I feel like I am really close. I don’t know because I haven’t been in the system. At the same time I feel like I can do the same things like I did over the years especially with the way this offense is structured. The way they work offensively. They have some weapons starting with the offensive line. You have a pro bowl quarterback throwing you the ball. You have Tony Gonzalez and Eddie Kennison who are great receivers.”

Q: Do you feel that you could maybe be put in the a better situation here knowing your not the guy like they tried to do in Detroit?

HAKIM: “Yes, being in this style of offense helps me out tremendously. This offense is so evenly spread. Here you have a good running game and they pass the ball so well. I am excited. I could play a spot role and I could play a regular role.”

Q: Do you have to prove yourself since you signed a one year deal?

HAKIM: “Every year you step on the field you have to prove yourself. Even when you go out and get a new defensive back or a new defensive coordinator a new stadium I feel the challenge is to prove yourself. Every time I step on the grass if it’s somewhere new I feel like I have never been here before. I am going to come out here and take care of business. This is a great opportunity and I definitely want to take advantage of this to the best of my ability.”

Q: Even though Trent Green was hurt in St. Louis, what is your relationship with him?

HAKIM: “I had a few snaps with Trent Green before he went down. He is a great quarterback and it’s great to be back with him. He delivers the ball real well and throws it before you make your break. Everything is timing with this offense. He does an excellent job as far as being a distributor.”

Q: Do you wish you would have signed here a couple years ago instead of with Detroit?

HAKIM: “Everything happens for a reason. I couldn’t necessarily say I had that option but I played my cards the way they were dealt. I am still playing and I am going on year eight so I am very blessed for that. I thank God and Dick Vermeil for giving me another shot.”

Q: Did you think you were going to sign here a couple years ago?

HAKIM: “I have no clue. Things happen and the situation is right where I need to be. That is why we are here today. I am thankful for the opportunity.”

Q: Coach Vermeil has a reputation of well deserved former players especially the ‘99 Rams, was that the biggest factor in coming here?

HAKIM: “Coach Vermeil is a loyal coach. From my understanding he loves to surround himself with great guys on his team. If he feels you’re a good guy regardless if you’re a winner of player or not. If you come in with a great character and have a work ethic as far as winning is concerned your going to be a Dick Vermeil guy. I was blessed and fortunate enough to respect to his style.”

Q: He said the way you make this team is to be what you were now, are you what you were now?

HAKIM: “I feel that I am. Every year is different but you can’t go back and put me back on the Rams team again. I am out here feeling really good and only time will tell. I have to come out here everyday and handle my responsibilities and job.”

Q: Did you hear from the outside that your career might be over?

HAKIM: “People don’t know my position. People don’t speak with me every day. I am not one to rush anything. I was trying to wait to be in the right situation so I wasn’t trying to rush anything. You have guys that don’t know the logistics and between the lines and how this game works. I had a good idea I would end up somewhere. I knew my days weren’t done. I was training hard and worked to the best of my ability to land somewhere.”

Q: Did you get up and work out and then wait to hear from your agent?

HAKIM: “Every morning at 6:30 a.m I woke up to work out. I wasn’t really concerned about what my agent had to say. My agent was the least of my concern. As long as I was Az Hakim and was attending to camp with a team.”

Q: People judge what you did in Detroit, do you feel like you have something to prove?

HAKIM: “I have something to prove every time I step on the field, regardless where I was last year. This is about where I am today. I don’t look back at what I did. I can’t go back to the Super Bowl and tell you what I did or the playoff games or in the season that I have. I can’t give you my statistics. I am not a statistic type of guy. I just come to play football and this is what I love to do.”

Kerberos
06-15-2005, 08:34 PM
I really hopes this pans out as a good decision.

I guess at vets min. in salary it is a win win situation for us!

Pants
06-15-2005, 10:46 PM
I really hopes this pans out as a good decision.

I guess at vets min. in salary it is a win win situation for us!

Yeah, but he's an 8 year vet. How much do they get? I'm guessing a lot.

philfree
06-15-2005, 11:56 PM
That's a great interview! We won't be able to judge Az on yards or number of receptions, he should be judged on big plays. He'll make some big plays for us you can count on that....You can count on that!

PhilFree:arrow:

Chiefs Pantalones
06-16-2005, 12:12 AM
I wish DV had this attitude about Eric Hicks. But then again DV's judgement of defensive players should be taken with a grain of salt anyway, because I don't think that's too much his specialty, obviously.

Wallcrawler
06-16-2005, 04:08 AM
If he feels you’re a good guy regardless if you’re a winner of player or not. If you come in with a great character and have a work ethic as far as winning is concerned your going to be a Dick Vermeil guy.

This right here is one of the main reasons it took so long to get some new players on defense. As long as you have a good character, and you TRY, you can stay. That isnt the way the NFL works. Not for Championship caliber teams anyway.

This isnt elementary school where you give the retarded kid a break because he is giving maximum effort but just cant get it done.

In this league, if you dont produce on the field, you get replaced by someone who can.

But for the Kansas City Chiefs, as long as Dick likes you and you try, you will stay on the team even though youre invisible on gameday, or the guy getting torched most every down. (See exhibit A. #98 defensive end Eric Hicks.....)

Rausch
06-16-2005, 04:17 AM
But for the Kansas City Chiefs, as long as Dick likes you and you try, you will stay on the team even though youre invisible on gameday, or the guy getting torched most every down. (See exhibit A. #98 defensive end Eric Hicks.....)

Yeah, it's a shame.

Just think how much better this team could be without Holmes, Green, Roaf, Dante, Wiegman, Dunn, and Watters...

UKMike
06-16-2005, 04:19 AM
Q: He said the way you make this team is to be what you were now, are you what you were now?

tricky question.

Rausch
06-16-2005, 04:32 AM
tricky question.

The editorial staff of kcchiefs.com has amazed me for years. Some of these mistakes shouldn't get through the local cult pamphlet....

Kerberos
06-16-2005, 06:08 AM
Yeah, but he's an 8 year vet. How much do they get? I'm guessing a lot.

I think I read that it was $650,000+ for a vet of his tenure.

That is a FAR CRY from Mortons 3+ million he was supposed to earn this year.

So I guess things could be MUCH worse!

Kerberos
06-16-2005, 06:11 AM
I got this from ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2086697

Recently released by the Detroit Lions for salary cap, injury and productivity reasons, the seven-year veteran auditioned for Chiefs coaches and club officials last week. Details of the one-year deal were not immediately available, but it is believed Hakim will receive a base salary of $665,000, the NFL minimum for a player of his tenure.

InChiefsHeaven
06-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Yeah, it's a shame.

Just think how much better this team could be without Holmes, Green, Roaf, Dante, Wiegman, Dunn, and Watters...

I thought wallcrawler was talking about the Defense...and IMO he's got a point. DV is loyal to a fault. We got guys on this defense that probably shouldn't be there...

Mr. Kotter
06-16-2005, 06:42 AM
That interviewer was either a moron, or drunk. Or both.

Hakim on the other hand, sounds as if he's comin' in with the right attitude.

ptlyon
06-16-2005, 06:53 AM
That interviewer was either a moron, or drunk. Or both.

gochiefs?

DeepSouth
06-16-2005, 07:00 AM
I thought wallcrawler was talking about the Defense...and IMO he's got a point. DV is loyal to a fault. We got guys on this defense that probably shouldn't be there...
Which defensive players have the Chiefs let go that were better than who they have? Loyalty or no loyalty, I can't think of any defensive players that had a starting job when there was someone better sitting on the bench.

They just didn't have the talent.

ptlyon
06-16-2005, 07:04 AM
*cough*Donnie*cough*Edwards*cough*

InChiefsHeaven
06-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Which defensive players have the Chiefs let go that were better than who they have? Loyalty or no loyalty, I can't think of any defensive players that had a starting job when there was someone better sitting on the bench.

A very true statement. I don't think they could have let go of anyone realistically. It would have been nice to have the money to sign someone, but I don't think they did. Of course, re-signing every damn under achiever on the defense doesn't help, but I guess I understand why...

Maybe it's just frustrating to hear him sing the praises of under achievers, like Hicks. It makes him look like he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. How come he doesn't call out someone like Hicks, but busts out the diaper comment on LJ? I like DV, but sometimes I just don't get him at all.

...right now he's freaking out over the offense, and making the whole "I've never had this much talent on defense before..." statement. I hope he's right, cuz his ability to evaluate defensive talent has been shown to be...well...lacking, to say the least...

Mr. Kotter
06-16-2005, 07:34 AM
gochiefs?

He claims to be a teetotaler....

Mr. Kotter
06-16-2005, 07:38 AM

How quickly we forget......Carlton Grey? :p

Kerberos
06-16-2005, 08:56 AM
*cough*Donnie*cough*Edwards*cough*

Yup....

Should have made the cap room to keep Edwards.... I think the guy is one of the best linebackers the Chiefs drafted... And I would think he would fit the DV profile to boot ...???

Wonder if there was anything more than the $ thing involved ????

:hmmm:

ptlyon
06-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Should have made the cap room to keep Edwards...

Well, I'm not saying that we should have or shouldn't have, but obviously he had/has more talent than what we have now.

I guess I'm not in the position to say exactly what we should have done or even could have, all I am saying is we lost talent.