PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney suffers injury.............

chiefqueen
06-15-2005, 07:25 PM
could be very bad.

If you're the squemish type you may not to see it. (Sweeney's hand/wrist was bent way back trying to catch the ball.)

Worse yet, if the Dodger had stayed in the basepath the injury would not have happened. The runner ran to first in fair territory, was not called out & score the tying run.

All of this occurred in full view of the home plate ump.

teedubya
06-15-2005, 07:28 PM
maybe we should trade him real quick.

Coach
06-15-2005, 07:29 PM
maybe we should trade him real quick.

Heh, we're just a little late for that now.

Eleazar
06-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Not his fault, a collision with a runner. Could have knocked any ballplayer out of the game.

chiefqueen
06-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Not his fault, a collision with a runner. Could have knocked any ballplayer out of the game.

My contention is that collision should not have happen. If the runner stays in foul territory until reaching first (like he is supposed to) there is no collision.

A second point is that the home plate watched the entire thing & did nothing.

For those not watching the game, whether the runner was inside or outside the baseline is mot debatable. The runner was 2-3 feet inside the baseline (and while I was typing this the same runner tried to bunt himself on & ran 6 feet in fair territory & again the home plate ump did nothing).

milkman
06-15-2005, 08:04 PM
My contention is that collision should not have happen. If the runner stays in foul territory until reaching first (like he is supposed to) there is no collision.

For those not watching the game, whether the runner was inside or outside the baseline is mot debatable. The runner was 2-3 feet inside the baseline (and while I was typing this the same runner tried to bunt himself on & ran 6 feet in fair territory & again the home plate ump did nothing).

The runner (Werth) was within the base path on his way to first.

The injury occured on the bunt, and he was well within 3 feet of a direct line to the base.

chiefqueen
06-15-2005, 08:08 PM

The injury occured on the bunt, and he was well within 3 feet of a direct line to the base.

The runner must stay in foul territory while running to first.

Dartgod
06-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Yeah, that sucks. You just can't count on a home plate anymore. Second base is much more reliable.

beavis
06-15-2005, 08:21 PM

He was no where close to being in the basepath.

It was even worse on that second ground out.

Valiant
06-15-2005, 08:22 PM

dont have a clue about the rules on running the base paths.. just thought you had to stay in the vicinity of the base path...

Valiant
06-15-2005, 08:26 PM
He was no where close to being in the basepath.

It was even worse on that second ground out.

When a guy bulldozed our girl catcher earlier this year, i drilled him in the back as hard as i could with a throw to first... The ****er also at the same at bat, yelled as loud as he could into my second basemans ear as i was tossing the ball to her for the out.. she dropped it, and he cheered like a bitch... He hasnt done anything since i drilled him...

Valiant
06-15-2005, 08:26 PM
When a guy bulldozed our girl catcher earlier this year, i drilled him in the back as hard as i could with a throw to first... The ****er also at the same at bat, yelled as loud as he could into my second basemans ear as i was tossing the ball to her for the out.. she dropped it, and he cheered like a bitch... He hasnt done anything since i drilled him...

Oh, i was aiming for his head.. but missed...

beavis
06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Oh, i was aiming for his head.. but missed...
Note to self, don't mess with Valiant's catcher.

Thig Lyfe
06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Injuries have become such a big part of being Mike Sweeney.

WilliamTheIrish
06-15-2005, 08:34 PM

That's the rule.

KevB
06-15-2005, 08:34 PM
dont have a clue about the rules on running the base paths.. just thought you had to stay in the vicinity of the base path...

That's generally true from 1st to home, but home to first is definitive. You must stay to the foul side of the line.

4th and Long
06-15-2005, 08:35 PM
chiefsqueen is correct. Look at the following picture.

http://www.unc.edu/~briman/carolina/royals_game_small.jpg

Note the white stripe on the foul side of the first base line. This is called "the runners lane." If the base runner, coming from the dish to first base, comes in contact with a defensive player who has an opportunity to make a play on the ball, or comes in contact with the ball, batted or thrown in fair territory, the runner is to be called out.

When I coached baseball, I taught my catcher, when fielding a ball in front of the plate, to look and see if the runner was in fair ground. If the runner was in fair ground, the catcher was instructed to drill him in the back because the runner, by the rules, would be called out.

WilliamTheIrish
06-15-2005, 08:41 PM

Note the white stripe on the foul side of the first base line. This is called "the runners lane." If the base runner, coming from the dish to first base, comes in contact with a defensive player who has an opportunity to make a play on the ball, or comes in contact with the ball, batted or thrown in fair territory, the runner is to be called out.

When I coached baseball, I taught my catcher, when fielding a ball in front of the plate, to look and see if the runner was in fair ground. If the runner was in fair ground, the catcher was instructed to drill him in the back because the runner, by the rules, would be called out.

You should instruct your catcher to step to the inside and make the throw to 1B. In all my days of playing through Legion ball, and umpiring Pee-Wee through HS, if a guy was inside the path and caused no deliberate harm (like PayRod in the ALCS) then he's not going to be called out.

The fundamental play is to have the catcher step to the inside and make the throw.

huskerdooz
06-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Someone say it was?

The implication was clearly there.

milkman
06-15-2005, 09:22 PM

I just spent some time reading through the baseball rules, and technically you are correct.

Boring reading, for sure.

beer bacon
06-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Injuries have become such a big part of being Mike Sweeney.

This one was not in anyway his fault. The runner was blatantly violating the rules of the game.

alanm
06-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear about Sweeney but his fault or not the guy is a injury magnet. :shake:

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear about Sweeney but his fault or not the guy is a injury magnet. :shake:Who here DIDN'T think he'd get hurt today?

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2005, 10:40 PM
What was Sweeney doing in the field anyway? He's not a great fielder and doing anything outside of DHing is just asking for trouble.

beer bacon
06-15-2005, 10:41 PM
What was Sweeney doing in the field anyway? He's not a great fielder and doing anything outside of DHing is just asking for trouble.

He has been a good 1st basemen this season actually.

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2005, 11:17 PM
He has been a good 1st basemen this season actually.That's my point; he's good, not great. There is no need to risk further injury when you have others who are nearly as good, if not better.

tk13
06-16-2005, 01:23 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11905640.htm

The preliminary diagnosis cited a sprained wrist and sprained elbow, but further examinations are scheduled.

“I’m going to get some X-rays in the morning,” Sweeney said. “I’m hoping everything will turn out all right, but it’s pretty sore right now.”

Assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson saw reason for guarded optimism because neither Sweeney’s wrist nor elbow showed excessive swelling.

“We’ll have to wait and see,” Jackson said, “but we’re hoping it might only be four or five days.”

Sweeney missed five games because of tightness in his right oblique before returning Tuesday in the series opener against the Dodgers. He also missed five games in mid-May because of a similar oblique problem.

Sweeney is batting .299 and leads the club with nine homers and 37 RBIs. He was one for two with a double Wednesday before the injury.

Various back injuries forced Sweeney to miss extended portions of the last three seasons.

“I hope I’m not headed back to the DL,” he said. “I’ve spent too much time there.”