PDA

View Full Version : I bought a beef chuck blade boneless steak.

Jenson71
06-16-2005, 06:51 PM
I want to cook it on top of the stove. In a pan. What temperature should I put the stove on? And do I have to put anything in the pan? Thank you, I'm a beginner.

Phobia
06-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Heh.

Put a burner on high. Place some real butter or olive oil in the pan - just enough to place a thin coat across the entire surface.

When the pan is damn hot (this means the oil is spitting at you), drop your steak in. Leave it for 30-45 secs. Flip it. If your stove is electric, reduce heat now. If it's gas, wait 30-45 secs. This process is called searing.

Flip it again with heat on medium. Let it cook 2 minutes. Flip last time for 2 minutes. Cut it - does it look good to you? Eat it.

If you want to, throw some pepper/lemon pepper on the meat before step #1. Don't salt until after cooking.

Jenson71
06-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Dang. That sounds complicated and dangerous. I was hoping for more of a "put stove on _____. Put on pan. Flip after 3 min. Take out after another 3 min"

Okay, I'll try yours.

Donger
06-16-2005, 07:01 PM
You can cook steaks on the stove?

Phobia
06-16-2005, 07:02 PM
You can do that if you want a piece of meat that tastes like a dried ass nugget.

Searing it will disguise the fact that you're a cheap bastard and won't buy a decent cut of meat. What did that hunk of beef run you, $.59 a pound?

Jenson71
You can cook steaks on the stove?

Don't make fun of me. There's a picture of a frying pan on the package.

Donger
Heh.

Put a burner on high. Place some real butter or olive oil in the pan - just enough to place a thin coat across the entire surface.

When the pan is damn hot (this means the oil is spitting at you), drop your steak in. Leave it for 30-45 secs. Flip it. If your stove is electric, reduce heat now. If it's gas, wait 30-45 secs. This process is called searing.

Flip it again with heat on medium. Let it cook 2 minutes. Flip last time for 2 minutes. Cut it - does it look good to you? Eat it.

If you want to, throw some pepper/lemon pepper on the meat before step #1. Don't salt until after cooking.

No sh*t? Damn. On my Weber, I sear for about 2.5 minutes (for filets) each side and then slow cook (indirect low) for about 7 minutes each side to get med-well.

Air's a b*tch, I guess.

Jenson71
06-16-2005, 07:03 PM
you're a cheap bastard and won't buy a decent cut of meat.

Pretty much.

Donger
06-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Don't make fun of me. There's a picture of a frying pan on the package.

I'm not. I've just never even considered cooking steak in a frying pan.

Good luck, and buy a damn grill.

Jenson71
06-16-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm not. I've just never even considered cooking steak in a frying pan.

They do it in Raging Bull. "Bring it over 'ere! It's a piece of charcoal!"

Phobia
06-16-2005, 07:05 PM
No sh*t? Damn. On my Weber, I sear for about 2.5 minutes (for filets) each side and then slow cook (indirect low) for about 7 minutes each side to get med-well.

Air's a b*tch, I guess.

Yeah. If he "seared" each side for 2.5 minutes in a frying pan, he'd have a nasty looking piece of shoe leather.

Donger
They do it in Raging Bull. "Bring it over 'ere! It's a piece of charcoal!"

Sorry, but I've never seen that movie.

Back to your stove, woman.

Jenson71

Last time I played with the grill, my arm hair was singed off.

Donger
06-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah. If he "seared" each side for 2.5 minutes in a frying pan, he'd have a nasty looking piece of shoe leather.

Wow. Color me previously well-uninformed.

Donger
06-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Last time I played with the grill, my arm hair was singed off.

So? I never grill without at least getting a second-degree burn.

Phobia
06-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Wow. Color me previously well-uninformed.

That's the difference between 3-4 inches of air between your heat source and the meat pressing directly against a piece of metal that is sitting around 400 degrees.

Jenson71
06-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Now, when you say "real butter" could that be HyVee Butter Sweet Cream?

Wait, I found some real butter.

Phobia
06-16-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm not familiar with the product, but I guess it will work. Throw a square chunk in there and melt it. A square chunk will make it about 2 TBSP.

Skip Towne
06-16-2005, 07:18 PM
No technique is going to save that "steak". Cook it however you want. If it was any cheaper you'd be digging it out of a dog food can.

Phobia
06-16-2005, 07:20 PM
No technique is going to save that "steak". Cook it however you want. If it was any cheaper you'd be digging it out of a dog food can.

Heh. That's a pretty good point. But, you can't eat loin on a detassler's salary.

Jenson71
06-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Now my next question is, how do I stop the smoke detector from beeping?

Skip Towne
06-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Now my next question is, how do I stop the smoke detector from beeping?
Take the battery out. Those things are just a nusiance anyhow.

Donger
06-16-2005, 07:30 PM
That's the difference between 3-4 inches of air between your heat source and the meat pressing directly against a piece of metal that is sitting around 400 degrees.

What a protracted way of saying, "air's a b*tch."

Jenson71
06-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Well, it's nothing special, but it's not horrible. I just hope undercooked meat isn't as bad for you as they say.

Skip Towne
06-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Heh. That's a pretty good point. But, you can't eat loin on a detassler's salary.
That detassling must really be a bitch. I read about people bitching about it on another site. Why do they do that anyhow? To keep the corn from pollinating? Why? Are they raising seed corn or something?

Skip Towne
06-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Well, it's nothing special, but it's not horrible. I just hope undercooked meat isn't as bad for you as they say.
Admit it, the more you chew it the bigger it gets. The cheapest edible steak is Sirloin. Find that in the meat case and price it per pound. Don't buy any "steak" cheaper than that.

Baby Lee
06-16-2005, 07:46 PM
1. For the heat you need to sear, butter and olive oil are horrible choices. They're on the low side of the smokepoint scale. Go with peanut oil or grapeseed oil.
2. Start up your indirect heat. Stove will work, but a convection oven is better.
3. Get a heavy pan, cast iron would be best and get it as hot as you can.
4. Lay the steak in and let it sit for about 24-30 seconds. It's important not to disturb it until the char sets.
5. Flip it over and repeat on the other side.
6. If the cut is thick enough, use tongs and get a char on the sides as well.
7. Stick it under indirect/convection heat until the center is done to liking.
8. LET THE STEAK REST for 5-7 minutes, so the steak can transfer from expansion/excitement to retraction/relaxation, that's gonna result in tenderness.

And all those busting on pan seared steaks, it's a very common practice in top steak houses, especially if you plan on using juices in a reduction sauce. The key is to get a quick, hearty char that seals the juices in.

Phobia
06-16-2005, 07:49 PM

Well, put it on a little longer then.

Jeez. Do you know how to boil water?

Donger
06-16-2005, 07:50 PM
1. For the heat you need to sear, butter and olive oil are horrible choices. They're on the low side of the smokepoint scale. Go with peanut oil or grapeseed oil.
2. Start up your indirect heat. Stove will work, but a convection oven is better.
3. Get a heavy pan, cast iron would be best and get it as hot as you can.
4. Lay the steak in and let it sit for about 24-30 seconds. It's important not to disturb it until the char sets.
5. Flip it over and repeat on the other side.
6. If the cut is thick enough, use tongs and get a char on the sides as well.
7. Stick it under indirect/convection heat until the center is done to liking.
8. LET THE STEAK REST for 5-7 minutes, so the steak can transfer from expansion/excitement to retraction/relaxation, that's gonna result in tenderness.

And all those busting on pan seared steaks, it's a very common practice in top steak houses, especially if you plan on using juices in a reduction sauce. The key is to get a quick, hearty char that seals the juices in.

Shut the hell up, killjoy.

Phobia
06-16-2005, 07:52 PM

Dude is cooking leather, what are the chances he has anything available beyond olive oil?

Edubs
06-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Dude just bring the beef to the Stadium on Saturday. It would be very nice for you to donate so grub for all us poor folk.

Rukdafaidas
06-16-2005, 09:52 PM
A friend of mine was telling me about a "BBQ" show he saw the other day that sounded interesting. He said the guy fired up a charcoal grill, waited until the coals were good and white. Then he got a hair dryer out and proceeded to blow all the ash from the charcoal chunks. He then threw a couple of steaks directly onto the coals for 1 minute each side, for medium rare.
I love high temperature cooked steaks and this sounds promising.

Phobia
06-16-2005, 10:25 PM
A friend of mine was telling me about a "BBQ" show he saw the other day that sounded interesting. He said the guy fired up a charcoal grill, waited until the coals were good and white. Then he got a hair dryer out and proceeded to blow all the ash from the charcoal chunks. He then threw a couple of steaks directly onto the coals for 1 minute each side, for medium rare.
I love high temperature cooked steaks and this sounds promising.

Beef chuck blade boneless? Why even blow off the ash?

Rukdafaidas
06-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Beef chuck blade boneless? Why even blow off the ash?
No, I doubt this guy was grilling crap meat on tv.