PDA

View Full Version : I need a symbol for dreams...

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 09:57 AM
OK guys...

I need some help. I'm looking for symbols for dreams... image symbols, like Egyptian or Asian, or whatever... it could be one out there, or if you're really adventurous, one you've made up. Post 'em. THANKS!

Rain Man
06-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Maybe it's a western thing, but Navajo dreamcatchers are a popular symbol.

http://www.capalert.com/images/dreamcatcherimage179x200.gif

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 10:52 AM
What kind of dreams and what kind of symbols?

Bearcat
06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar662_9.gif

Lose a bet? :spock:

Saulbadguy
06-17-2005, 10:56 AM
http://www.spyrock.com/nadafarm/images/kanji.gif

ptlyon
06-17-2005, 10:57 AM
http://www.spyrock.com/nadafarm/images/kanji.gif

That is either something Chinese or something I drew when I was dusting at the age of 4.

Can't remember which.

Saulbadguy
06-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Its the kanji character for "dream".

Phobia
06-17-2005, 10:59 AM
This should work.

teedubya
06-17-2005, 11:01 AM
check out the dreamspell calendar that was prolific for the Mayans... lots of great imagery...

also, where the reference for the "Red Magnetic Skywalker" avatar I had a while back.

www.13moon.com

Rain Man
06-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Lose a bet? :spock:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=117985

BUUURRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNN MEEEEEEEEEE! KILLLLL IT NOWWWWWWWWW!

http://www.artonyou.com/images/evil_demon2.png http://www.artsales.com/ARTstudio/highland_studios/images/Elway_In_action_on_the_field.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 11:39 AM
What kind of dreams and what kind of symbols?
I'm looking for visual symbols, like the asian script or a drawing or whatever, that mean dreams, mostly like a person's aspirations... like some kids "dream" to be an astronaut or a fireman. As you get older your dreams may change, but really things that you aspire to do. That type of thing.

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm looking for visual symbols, like the asian script or a drawing or whatever, that mean dreams, mostly like a person's aspirations... like some kids "dream" to be an astronaut or a fireman. As you get older your dreams may change, but really things that you aspire to do. That type of thing.Okay, you mean dream as in aspiration not dream as in something you experience while you sleep. I have to go to a meeting now, but my short answer would be something associated with the specific dream. Like a kid who wants to be an astronaut would have an image of, say, Armstrong on the moon, a kid who wants to be a fireman might associate with an image of a fire helmet or a truck. You could make decisions in terms of art direction related to how to present the images, but at the core you'd find the basic thing. At least that's the way I'd think, make it emblematic of the dream. Something like an asian symbol I'd associate with a kid who idolizes something asian, like anime or history. Find something that speaks to the aspiration.

ptlyon
06-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Okay, you mean dream as in aspiration not dream as in something you experience while you sleep. I have to go to a meeting now, but my short answer would be something associated with the specific dream. Like a kid who wants to be an astronaut would have an image of, say, Armstrong on the moon, a kid who wants to be a fireman might associate with an image of a fire helmet or a truck. You could make decisions in terms of art direction related to how to present the images, but at the core you'd find the basic thing. At least that's the way I'd think, make it emblematic of the dream. Something like an asian symbol I'd associate with a kid who idolizes something asian, like anime or history. Find something that speaks to the aspiration.

So you mean that a single atom in my fingernail could be a solar system?

keg in kc
06-17-2005, 12:26 PM
So you mean that a single atom in my fingernail could be a solar system?I could see that. Although it's been done before, or at least something similar.

BBL

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Well, specifically this isn't for a film. It's for me... it's kind of a long story, but here it is:

About a year ago I had to scrap my first feature film... I'd loaded hundreds of hours into this film, from producing it to shooting and editing it and directing some scenes. Anyway, the film got shelved and I sank into a bit of a depression, mainly because I had so much work invested and I never got any sort of payoff -- I never got an audience's reaction, no one saw the film that I'd fought for, that I'd bled for.

Fairly recently, some conversations and random things I've read have reignited my passion for filmmaking, rekindled the fire. After about an hour-long fight with my wife last night, I realized that my optimism toward my dream had waned, and I wasn't the person I was as little as two years ago. That saddened me. I realized I'd given my optimism up in favor of skepticism, looking at my dream of being a filmmaker as just a hobby rather than a passion. I always would say, "I'm going to be a filmmaker," but then in the last year or so, I'd ALWAYS follow that up with, "but I probably won't succeed." And I'd say that was not being a skeptic, it was being realistic... after last night I realized it wasn't being realistic, it was being self-defeatist. I have been setting myself up for failure.

And after a long night of soul searching I've decided that's no way to live... it's no way to make my dream a reality. My goal since I decided to be a filmmaker was to become an adjective... that sounds funny, but let me explain. When people talk about great filmmakers, comparing their films to the greats, they'd say things like, "That was very 'Hitchcockian'," or "very Kubrick-esque." Well, in 50 years, I want people to use my last name in that manner... I want people to compare modern films to mine. That's my dream. Somewhere along the line I've gotten away from that.

Anyway, long story short, I'm searching for a reminder of that... I'm debating a tattoo of something that symbolizes that dream, so that I'll never forget it. I'm also thinking about something else (don't know what, yet) that could serve as a daily reminder of that dream, that attitude that I don't want to lose again. So if you have any ideas, for either the image or what else could serve as that reminder, post it or PM me...

Thanks for listening.

Should I post this in the thread header?

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 12:52 PM
x

:shake:

tyton75
06-17-2005, 01:02 PM
yup.. its CP.. did you expect poetry?

tyton75
06-17-2005, 01:02 PM
sorry if I offended your fragile sense of self... just trying to have a little fun with you

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:05 PM
sorry if I offended your fragile sense of self... just trying to have a little fun with you
No worries, I'm just a little touchy right now... the whole situation is hard for me. I know it's not like losing a loved one or getting divorced or anything like that, it just kind of rattled my foundation.

tyton75
06-17-2005, 01:07 PM
hell.. I didnt' know you had some chit go down in your life... you should have put that in their before so I wouldn't feel like a shit now!

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:10 PM
hell.. I didnt' know you had some chit go down in your life... you should have put that in their before so I wouldn't feel like a shit now!
ROFL
Seriously, don't... nothing too major, like I said.

ptlyon
06-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Oh Jezsus Fire me - get her drunk and get to :hump:'n and make that film!!!

Sorry in advance if this was a poor attempt at humor, but after all, it is Friday...

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh Jezsus Fire me - get her drunk and get to :hump:'n and make that film!!!

Sorry in advance if this was a poor attempt at humor, but after all, it is Friday...
Now see, that's funny.

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Shouldn't that apology have come BEFORE your statement about humpin' and making the movie? Seeing as you said, "Sorry in advance," and all?

ptlyon
06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Shouldn't that apology have come BEFORE your statement about humpin' and making the movie? Seeing as you said, "Sorry in advance," and all?

Didn't know if you were really that touchy about it, so I added it.

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Didn't know if you were really that touchy about it, so I added it.
No, not anymore... I think tyton75 just got his message in during the short period of time after I wrote my long post that I was still a little out of it. Writing it down kinda brought back A LOT of what I was thinking about all night... I'm over it now... fire away!

Rain Man
06-17-2005, 01:26 PM
So you mean that a single atom in my fingernail could be a solar system?

I wonder if the people in that solar system would worship your nostril.

"We are once again entering the Portal of God!"

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:26 PM
How come you used "chit" in one sentence and "shit" in another? Is there a diffence in the usage of "shit" so that one should differentiate between the two by using "shit" sometimes and "chit" other times?

:hmmm:

ptlyon
06-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm over it now... fire away!

Sorry, that's all I got

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Sorry, that's all I got
Good thing comedy is your backup plan... let's hope you never need it. :thumb:

ptlyon
06-17-2005, 01:32 PM

If you read my posts 9/10ths of them are comedy

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:34 PM
If you read my posts 9/10ths of them are comedy
Sorry, must have missed the funny ones.

I'm just ****ing with you...

ptlyon
06-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Sorry, must have missed the funny ones.

Bada Bing!

Knew that was coming. I am the REAL Nick Athan.

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Bada Bing!

Knew that was coming. I am the REAL Nick Athan.
Bada bing, bada boom... betty boop.

Rain Man
06-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Actually, his backup plan is filmmaking.

teedubya
06-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Courtesy of your profile... Here is FireMeBoy's Mayan Dreamspell.

July 28th, 1978

Magnetic Moon day 3
Year of the Red Crystal Moon

http://www.tortuga.com/dreamspell/sealstones/kin/131.gif

kin 131: Blue Magnetic Monkey
I Unify in order to Play
Attracting Illusion
I seal the Process of Magic
With the Magnetic tone of Purpose
I am guided by my own power doubled

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Courtesy of your profile... Here is FireMeBoy's Mayan Dreamspell.

July 28th, 1978

Magnetic Moon day 3
Year of the Red Crystal Moon

http://www.tortuga.com/dreamspell/sealstones/kin/131.gif

kin 131: Blue Magnetic Monkey
I Unify in order to Play
Attracting Illusion
I seal the Process of Magic
With the Magnetic tone of Purpose
I am guided by my own power doubled
That is extremely cool... thanks!

Anyone else, now that they know the specifics of the situation?

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 09:24 PM
OK, so if I get this tatoo, how should I design it? I'm probably going to get it done on the inside of my forearm, and I was thinking either the exact design, using blue and black inks, or getting rid of the blue and the border... or, if somebody has any other ideas, even altering the design a bit could be cool.

Fire Me Boy!
07-02-2005, 03:47 AM
Here's one I'm looking at...

http://japanese.about.com/bl50kanji8_musouka.htm

It's the Kanji for "Dreamer." What I'd what to do, though, is redesign it so it looked more like one character... bring the three symbols together into one, know what I mean? Can anybody photoshop a design?