PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Why are Athletes

craneref
06-17-2005, 10:50 PM
held to higher standards than movie and TV stars. I heard a discussion about this on the radio the other day on my road trip to Vancouver with the family. The point the radio personality made is that Holleywood can say dna do anythign they want and no real big deal is made of it, but if an athlete does the same thing, it is national news and the talk for months. If we don't hold movie stars to role model standards, why do athletes have to be held to those standards. So do you think their is a double standard and if you do, why do you think it exists.

Phobia
06-17-2005, 10:54 PM
3 reasons:
1. Because an athlete is supposed to be in peak condition. If they're shoving drugs and alcohol into their bodies, we're disappointed.
2. Kids worship athletes more than actors.
3. Entertainers (especially) musicians get a pass for a lot of stupid crap because it comes with the party lifestyle.

craneref
06-17-2005, 10:58 PM
3 reasons:
1. Because an athlete is supposed to be in peak condition. If they're shoving drugs and alcohol into their bodies, we're disappointed.
3. Entertainers (especially) musicians get a pass for a lot of stupid crap because it comes with the party lifestyle.

Good points, so I guess you would say they should be held to a higher standard. But playing the devils advocate, aren't Professinal athletes entertainers also, and kind of come with the party lifestyle?

Frazod
06-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Athletes are held to a higher standard, but it's getting to the point that no famous person can say or do anything the slightest non-PC without being demonized by the media, which is so far beyond merely out of control that it defies belief. Along with sanity and decency.

:shake:

Under no circumstances would I ever want to be a public figure. I don't know how these people stand it.

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Athletes are held to a higher standard, but it's getting to the point that no famous person can say or do anything the slightest non-PC without being demonized by the media, which is so far beyond merely out of control that it defies belief. Along with sanity and decency.

:shake:

Under no circumstances would I ever want to be a public figure. I don't know how these people stand it.
If I were a public figure I would hire you to write my press releases. Those wussy media pukes wouldn't dare show up at my press conferences.

Phobia
06-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Good points, so I guess you would say they should be held to a higher standard. But playing the devils advocate, aren't Professinal athletes entertainers also, and kind of come with the party lifestyle?

Athletes may live a party lifestyle, but that aspect of their lives isn't of interest to sports journalists. There are very few superstar athletes which interest the entertainment shows enough to feature them. The party lifestyle is glamorized for actors and musicians. Hell, they even have television shows dedicated to coverage of their parties.

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 11:16 PM
What's it say about me that I want to be famous? And if that means dealing with being a public figure I'm okay with it...

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Sometimes I feel kinda famous... I have people sending me free shit all the time. Yesterday I got a sample pack of Grade A Vermont Maple Syrup... and when Sponge Bob came out in the theaters the production company sent me a box of Twinkies.

People want me... they really do.

I know... none of that makes me famous... but I'm trying to up my self-esteem.

Frazod
06-17-2005, 11:23 PM
What's it say about me that I want to be famous? And if that means dealing with being a public figure I'm okay with it...

Imagine not being able to go to the local grocery store for a gallon of milk without being followed around by a dozen photographers who never stop taking pictures of you and everything you do. Imagine it after your girlfriend just dumped you, or you just had a death in the family, or if you have a really bad sinus headache. They don't care. Imagine sitting on a beach - your ass itches, so you scratch it. The next day, a picture of you digging in your ass is on the cover of National Enquirer. Imagine a quiet romantic dinner constantly interrupted by photographers and people seeking autographs. Imagine always have to watch what you say and do, and who hear and sees you do it, and assuming all of it will be the next episode of Entertainment Tonight.

F#ck being famous. Not in this day and age.

trndobrd
06-17-2005, 11:25 PM
I depends on what you are talking about...

1) Saying stupid stuff...Atheletes and politicians generally get a pass because they are considered dumb jocks, or, well, politicians, to start with.

2) Womanizing...Atheletes and musicians get a pass because everyone knows there isn't much else to do while on the road. Actors indiscretions tend to feed the fantasies of the masses. Like your parents, politicians are expected to be nonsexual.

3) Drugs/booze...Athletes' business is their body, we expect someone making millions to take care of it. Musicians, well, just look to Keith Richards. Actors and politicians can get away with it as long as it's 'classy'. For example, "Would the Senator care to have anoter Glenlivet to enjoy with his cigar?" versus "Does the Senator need a cold Natty Light, or a spit cup perhaps?"

4) Blowing CASH...Athletes are looked down upon for spending sprees because their careers are so short. Actors and musicians, it's just part of who they are. Politicians are expected to throw money at everything, unfortunately, it's tax dollars.

I can't think of any other good vices right now.

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Imagine not being able to go to the local grocery store for a gallon of milk without being followed around by a dozen photographers who never stop taking pictures of you and everything you do. Imagine it after your girlfriend just dumped you, or you just had a death in the family, or if you have a really bad sinus headache. They don't care. Imagine sitting on a beach - your ass itches, so you scratch it. The next day, a picture of you digging in your ass is on the cover of National Enquirer. Imagine a quiet romantic dinner constantly interrupted by photographers and people seeking autographs. Imagine always have to watch what you say and do, and who hear and sees you do it, and assuming all of it will be the next episode of Entertainment Tonight.

Believe me, I'm keenly aware of what they go through, but it's something I am prepared to handle because it's the price of fame. It's not for some people, but without those of us who are prepared there'd be very little entertainment (in the form most of us enjoy it).

Phobia
06-17-2005, 11:31 PM

A picture of me scratching my ass on the cover of National Enquirerer and an 8 figure salary? Sign me up.

Frazod
06-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Believe me, I'm keenly aware of what they go through, but it's something I am prepared to handle because it's the price of fame. It's not for some people, but without those of us who are prepared there'd be very little entertainment (in the form most of us enjoy it).

Best of luck with that.

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 11:33 PM
*taking pictures*
click click click click click click click click click click

Phobia's famous around here, right?

click click click click click click click click click click click click click click

stevieray
06-17-2005, 11:33 PM
The label of 'role model' has been thrust upon athletes because too many kids need one?

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Best of luck with that.
I get the impression that you're being very sarcastic, but I recognize that for many it would be something they dread and would never want to deal with it, but what is it bad for someone else?

Earthling
06-17-2005, 11:35 PM

I'll drink to that!

Frazod
06-17-2005, 11:38 PM
I get the impression that you're being very sarcastic, but I recognize that for many it would be something they dread and would never want to deal with it, but what is it bad for someone else?

Not at all. Granted, I'm not going to lose any sleep if you live and die anonymously, but if you can find a way to make your dreams come true, more power to you.

Besides, then I can say I knew you when. :D

But you're right, it definitely wouldn't be for me. Walking through downtown Chicago on a daily basis aggravates me. I am definitely not a people person.

Phobia
06-17-2005, 11:40 PM
I am definitely not a people person.

Which explains how you can work for those sub-humans.... Heh.

Frazod
06-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Which explains how you can work for those sub-humans.... Heh.

Exactly. :evil:

Skip Towne
06-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Sometimes I feel kinda famous... I have people sending me free shit all the time. Yesterday I got a sample pack of Grade A Vermont Maple Syrup... and when Sponge Bob came out in the theaters the production company sent me a box of Twinkies.

People want me... they really do.

I know... none of that makes me famous... but I'm trying to up my self-esteem.
Shut up, n00b.

Fire Me Boy!
06-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Shut up, n00b.
:sulk:

Rausch
06-18-2005, 12:29 AM
The label of 'role model' has been thrust upon athletes because too many kids need one?

Or because all kids need one...

J Diddy
06-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Or because all kids need one...

Not the really smart ones, they figure it out on their own.

Frazod
06-18-2005, 12:37 AM

I think SR was implying that too many kids need role models because their parents aren't up to the job.

J Diddy
06-18-2005, 12:44 AM
I think SR was implying that too many kids need role models because their parents aren't up to the job.

I believe that all parents are role models, but let's be realistic. It is society that pushes the glamour on the kids. You could take a kid with a great upbringing, excellent parents and they would still latch on to the athlete. That's how they sell the merchandise.

Frazod
06-18-2005, 12:48 AM
I believe that all parents are role models, but let's be realistic. It is society that pushes the glamour on the kids. You could take a kid with a great upbringing, excellent parents and they would still latch on to the athlete. That's how they sell the merchandise.

You must live in a wondrous, idyllic place if you really believe all parents are role models. Mine sure as hell weren't.

Rausch
06-18-2005, 12:51 AM

Yeah, the kids that "figure it out on their own" tend to be great role models...

luv
06-18-2005, 12:57 AM
You must live in a wondrous, idyllic place if you really believe all parents are role models. Mine sure as hell weren't.
I don't think he specified between good role models and bad. Every parent plays a role. The absent parent teaches the child to depend on the one parent they have left. That parent then plays the biggest part on how the kids ultimately turns out. There are exceptions though. There are kids who grew up with two very lousy parents, yet still managed to make a decent life for themselves.

mikey23545
06-18-2005, 04:07 AM

I can't even imagine the severe psychological problems and character flaws that would cause someone to want to be famous.

Fire Me Boy!
06-18-2005, 04:16 AM
I can't even imagine the severe psychological problems and character flaws that would cause someone to want to be famous.
:hmmm:

well then... BITE ME!

I think I'm pretty well rounded. Parents still have a good marriage after 30+ years... no abuse... good high school memories, great college. Fantastic, supportive wife and the rest of the family...

mikey23545
06-18-2005, 05:02 AM
:hmmm:

well then... BITE ME!

I think I'm pretty well rounded. Parents still have a good marriage after 30+ years... no abuse... good high school memories, great college. Fantastic, supportive wife and the rest of the family...

All that, and yet you have the need to be "famous"....

Thanks for proving my point....

Fire Me Boy!
06-18-2005, 05:08 AM
All that, and yet you have the need to be "famous"....

Thanks for proving my point....
:spock:

Are you serious? It has nothing to do with psychological issues or character flaws... it's that my dream for a LONG time has been to be a successful filmmaker -- in that industry, success is measured by fame. If I could be Hitchcock/Kubrick/Spielberg successful as a director WITHOUT the fame, I would, but we all know that ain't gonna happen...

If you're not being serious, fine. If you are -- **** right off. I'm not sitting here calling you names and questioning your worth because of what you want to do.

mikey23545
06-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Dude, you weren't saying you wanted to be a great success in your field. You said you wanted to be famous.
If fame came along with realizing your goal, that's one thing. But being in love with being famous?
Seek counseling.

Fire Me Boy!
06-18-2005, 05:12 AM
Dude, you weren't saying you wanted to be a great success in your field. You said you wanted to be famous.
If fame came along with realizing your goal, that's one thing. But being in love with being famous?
Seek counseling.
OK, I can see where you're coming from now... sorry there was a thread earlier where I had mentioned my goals as a filmmaker. Sure, wanting to be famous for the sake of being famous is a little sick.

Fire Me Boy!
06-18-2005, 05:15 AM
I'm bitchy today... I need to go to bed (I'm 40 minutes away from finishing my work tonight -- I haven't slept since this time yesterday).

mikey23545
06-18-2005, 05:17 AM
OK, I can see where you're coming from now... sorry there was a thread earlier that detailed my goals. Sure, being famous for the sake of being famous is a little sick.

Hey, I'm just messin' with you. I enjoy your posts, and I think this one just didn't come out the way you really meant it...
:thumb:

But believe me, if you have all the things you were talking about before, you are already a blessed man.

Fire Me Boy!
06-18-2005, 05:21 AM
I know I'm blessed, but thanks! I'm just chasin' my dream, man. And I'm fired up right now because very soon I'll be going after that dream again -- something I haven't done in 4 years!

mikey23545
06-18-2005, 05:22 AM
I know I'm blessed, but thanks! I'm just chasin' my dream, man. And I'm fired up right now because very soon I'll be going after that dream again -- something I haven't done in 4 years!

Well, good luck, my friend...It's good to have a dream.

BigRedChief
06-18-2005, 07:51 AM

No Chit, I coach little league baseball and almost every year I have 3 to 4 kids on the team who have no male involvement in their lives. I'm the closest thing they have to a male role model that they have. It's sad. But I have saved a few from going down the wrong path.

mikey23545
06-18-2005, 09:18 AM
No Chit, I coach little league baseball and almost every year I have 3 to 4 kids on the team who have no male involvement in their lives. I'm the closest thing they have to a male role model that they have. It's sad. But I have saved a few from going down the wrong path.

Kudos to you, my man....

bevischief
12-13-2009, 10:26 AM
3 reasons:

I think I have heard this recently some where...

Rausch
12-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I know I'm blessed, but thanks! I'm just chasin' my dream, man.

:D

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2005_Wedding_Crashers/005WDC_Will_Ferrell_007.jpg

Gonzo
12-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I think I have heard this recently some where...

In a thread bumping mood today Chev?
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
In a thread bumping mood today Chev?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bored at the time...

kcfanXIII
12-13-2009, 01:03 PM

i always told myself that if i was ever famous enough to have paparazi following me, i'd develop a reputation for being the guy who hit them in the face. sure you'd get some bad press for a bit, but eventually they are going to figure out that somebody is gonna have their nose broke, everytime. my hope being that they would eventually decide i wasn't worth it.

jidar
12-13-2009, 01:29 PM
i always told myself that if i was ever famous enough to have paparazi following me, i'd develop a reputation for being the guy who hit them in the face. sure you'd get some bad press for a bit, but eventually they are going to figure out that somebody is gonna have their nose broke, everytime. my hope being that they would eventually decide i wasn't worth it.

Didn't work for Sean Penn.
It turns out, most people will take a shot in the face if it means they get a few grand from a lawsuit.