PDA

View Full Version : Cornerback opposite Surtain

ILChief
06-19-2005, 01:43 PM
according to Athan's site, Julian Battle is out for the year. I don't know why Gun seems so down on Warfield (demoting him), but I think Warfield has to start opposite Surtain. The question is, if Warfield gets suspended for four games, who starts?

Dexter McCleon - Vermeil's pet
Benny Sapp - My pick, I think he played well (much better than Battle or Bartee) last year
Alphonso Hodge - Rookie, so who knows

Vegas_Dave
06-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Gun isnt down on Warfield... they just expect that he will have a 4 game suspension so they have to plan on the first 4 games not having him available.

If Battle is definately out for the year, I think we will see Ty Law signed... which also means that we are going to have to pay more for him now because he has all the leverage now...

either that or they move "When do I turn my head?" Bartee back to CB. Ugh...

TRR
06-19-2005, 02:05 PM
If Warfield is suspended, I think Dexter McCleon will step in and start. McCleon hasn't been practicing because of an injury he sustained late last season. When he gets back to 100%, I think he'll take over the starting job.

Bobby Taylor maybe getting a phone call.

RealSNR
06-19-2005, 02:42 PM
If Warfield is suspended, I think Dexter McCleon will step in and start. McCleon hasn't been practicing because of an injury he sustained late last season. When he gets back to 100%, I think he'll take over the starting job.

Bobby Taylor maybe getting a phone call.A cheaper alternative to Law.

I like this scenario.

milkman
06-19-2005, 02:51 PM
according to Athan's site, Julian Battle is out for the year. I don't know why Gun seems so down on Warfield (demoting him), but I think Warfield has to start opposite Surtain. The question is, if Warfield gets suspended for four games, who starts?

Benny Sapp - My pick, I think he played well (much better than Battle or Bartee) last year

When you read the headline from the story about the "demotion", they do say demoted.
But then the article goes on to tell us that they are making contingency plans in case of Warfield's suspension.

So the headline is complete and utter BS.

Dave Lane
06-19-2005, 03:03 PM

Has he been released? I thought he was with Seattle still...

Dave

TRR
06-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Has he been released? I thought he was with Seattle still...

Dave

He was released quite awhile ago. I know last offseason, Taylor acted as his own agent. I would really like to see Bobby Taylor brought in. He could really help.

CoMoChief
06-19-2005, 03:20 PM
If McCleon is starting opposite of Surtain, kiss this ****in season goodbye.

old_geezer
06-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Taylor could be a reasonable alternative while Warfield serves his suspension.

For those of you still harping on Law - Seriously, that's way too much money to tie up in one position. Law, Warfield, and Surtain = too much money. IMO the ONLY way the Chiefs would be interested in Law is if they would/could cut Warfield while finding a way to absorb the salary cap hit that would follow. Not going to happen.

whtgldwldr
06-19-2005, 04:01 PM
I would give it to Bartee. He's Gunther's boy. Sure, hes a "nearly" complete bust, but you've got to admit that the kids got potential. And he showed flashes of brilliance last year in between all of his constant burns. I'm sure that, when push comes to shove, Gun will stand by Bartee, and I can't say I blame him.

Call it a...last chance...

Spicy McHaggis
06-19-2005, 04:52 PM

I doubt it. He's got to be about 31-32 and he's been hurt the last two years. Even when he played he was nowhere near the level he was at 2 seasons ago. IMO we couldn't count on him making a contribution as a starter.

runnercyclist
06-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Ty Law removed a screw from his ankle 'cause the Chiefs wanted it out. Ty Law will be a Chief.

Bowser
06-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Ty Law removed a screw from his ankle 'cause the Chiefs wanted it out. Ty Law will be a Chief.

Source/link?

runnercyclist
06-19-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/05/01/laws_plan_heal_then_deal?mode=PF

milkman
06-19-2005, 05:15 PM
I would give it to Bartee. He's Gunther's boy. Sure, hes a "nearly" complete bust, but you've got to admit that the kids got potential. And he showed flashes of brilliance last year in between all of his constant burns. I'm sure that, when push comes to shove, Gun will stand by Bartee, and I can't say I blame him.

Call it a...last chance...

I think Bartee's all out of chances at CB.

He's being given a shot to make this team as a safety, where he should have been all along.
But with about 999 safeties on the roster, I would call it a long shot.

Still, watching the meltdown here if Bartee were to come out and play corner opposite Surtain while Warfield serves a suspension would be.....entertaining, to say the least.

Spicy McHaggis
06-19-2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/05/01/laws_plan_heal_then_deal?mode=PF

The article is dated May 1st. A lot can change in a month and a half. I agree with you on one thing though, Law will be a Chief if the price is right.

Mr. Laz
06-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Kansas City recently traded for Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain but hasn't ruled out a spot for Law. In fact, Poston said, the Chiefs were somewhat concerned about Law leaving the screw in the foot and having it break, which is one reason Law had it removed.

Bowser
06-19-2005, 05:24 PM
The article is dated May 1st. A lot can change in a month and a half. I agree with you on one thing though, Law will be a Chief if the price is right.

And therein lies the problem. We are no longer in a position of strength when it comes to dealing with Law, his injury notwithstanding. We need a corner now a whole lot more than when he first visited, and he knows it. He won't come for the veteran minimum here or anywhere.

runnercyclist
06-19-2005, 05:26 PM
I think Bartee's all out of chances at CB.

He's being given a shot to make this team as a safety, where he should have been all along.
But with about 999 safeties on the roster, I would call it a long shot.

Still, watching the meltdown here if Bartee were to come out and play corner opposite Surtain while Warfield serves a suspension would be.....entertaining, to say the least.

Vermeil has had enuf or Bartee at Corner. He just said that he is not an option there.

Dave Lane
06-19-2005, 11:58 PM
And therein lies the problem. We are no longer in a position of strength when it comes to dealing with Law, his injury notwithstanding. We need a corner now a whole lot more than when he first visited, and he knows it. He won't come for the veteran minimum here or anywhere.

Actually we are better off we do have Surtain in the fold and Warfield after whatever suspension he has to serve. His options are even more limited as most teams have gotten set for camp. I'd love to have Law as a 2nd corner wow what luxury. It would make the Battle injury a real blessing.

Dave

DaWolf
06-20-2005, 08:27 AM

I dunno if he's down on warfield but he's never seemed to be Warfield's biggest fan. IIRC he demoted Warfield to 3rd string when he was head coach and started Pat Dennis ahead of him at one point...

KChiefs1
06-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Gun has always hated Warfield & I bet he is in Carl's ear about getting Law in here ASAP.

Luzap
06-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Gunther has always been a huge supporter of Warfield. He demoted him at one point (very reluctantly) as a last resort effort to get him to reach down and start playing up to his potential.

To a great extent, it worked.

Luz
gunther is a great coach and knows warfield has talant...

Hoover
06-20-2005, 08:37 AM
I doubt it. He's got to be about 31-32 and he's been hurt the last two years. Even when he played he was nowhere near the level he was at 2 seasons ago. IMO we couldn't count on him making a contribution as a starter.
I think he could play the first 4 games, thats where the need is, not all 16 games. If healthy after Warfield is back he could be the Nickel

Hoover
06-20-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't think we are in a week position at all. Sure we could losse Warfield for 4 games which would suck. Law would be a great signing but I'm not holding my breath, dude will want paid, and I understand that, but he is coming off an injury. I think Bobby Taylor is the best option for the start of the season.

jspchief
06-20-2005, 08:45 AM
If McCleon is starting opposite of Surtain, kiss this ****in season goodbye.Give me a break.

We won seven games last year with McCleon. You're telling me that the addition of Bell, Knight, Surtain, and DJ will be negated by the loss of one CB for 4 games?

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Give me a break.

We won seven games last year with McCleon. You're telling me that the addition of Bell, Knight, Surtain, and DJ will be negated by the loss of one CB for 4 games?

That's not the half of it.

The same people that are panicking about Warfield's absence are the same ones that said he should have been cut last year.

ct
06-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Hodge is not ready, Sapp would be risky with so little experience, so if we say as is, then Dexter will start because of the experience. That's what I see happening, do not see us signing another CB.

Though if it were up to me, I'd let those 3 legitimately battle it out in pre-season, and experience of not, the best guy starts.

jspchief
06-20-2005, 09:10 AM
That's not the half of it.

The same people that are panicking about Warfield's absence are the same ones that said he should have been cut last year.The drama over this Warfield thing is ridiculous.

Imagine last year's team, except Surtain is in place of Warfield. Now add Bell, Knight, and DJ. It's clear that the expectations should be an improvement.

Battle goes down, and people are going into "implode mode". This is the same Battle that couldn't beat out that horrible McCleon last year. The same Battle that was a 2:1 favorite to get called for interference everytime he stepped on the field. I realize Vermeil says he's improving, but Vermeil is classic for pimping guys that barely get on the field. They don't call interference or throw flags in practice.

Obviously, we're better for having Warfield on the field. I just don't buy that losing him for 4 games means the season is doomed.

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 09:15 AM
The drama over this Warfield thing is ridiculous.

Imagine last year's team, except Surtain is in place of Warfield. Now add Bell, Knight, and DJ. It's clear that the expectations should be an improvement.

Battle goes down, and people are going into "implode mode". This is the same Battle that couldn't beat out that horrible McCleon last year. The same Battle that was a 2:1 favorite to get called for interference everytime he stepped on the field. I realize Vermeil says he's improving, but Vermeil is classic for pimping guys that barely get on the field. They don't call interference or throw flags in practice.

Obviously, we're better for having Warfield on the field. I just don't buy that losing him for 4 games means the season is doomed.

That's the nature of the beast here. There's only one constant -- the Chiefs are doomed.

Up until now, Battle is a "bust". And now that he's injured, we're going to automatically lose 4 games.

Coach
06-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Well the loss of Battle kinda sucks, although we all know that his potentional is to draw flags and all. And believe me, I sure as hell don't want "Oh Dexter" on the field, that's for sure.

But the first 4 games will be determined by 11 defensive players on the field, not just one. I want to see a improvement on the pass-rush. I want to see improvement from the LB corps. I want to see improvement from our secondary.

Sure the additions of Bell, Knight, Johnson, and Surtain helps, and it looks good on paper, but it doesn't mean shit.

The best thing I heard from any of the players was when Patrick Surtain spoke at the very end. He said something to an effect that "All the improvements the Chiefs have made in the off season looked good on paper, but you don't win championships on paper, you win championships on Sundays."

That sounded like a very grounded thing to say and kind of made me think that this guy might be a good leader in the locker room.

TRing
06-20-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm personnaly not worried about battle going down. It is unfortunate, but we can componsate for that. If you guys were there saturday you heard surtain say not only that games arent won on paper but also that he has never experienced having 15,000+ fans at a practice. These guys are excited about the year and their not going to let losing a backup corner ruin what could be a great year.