PDA

View Full Version : Battle done.

The Bad Guy
06-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Battle is done for the year with a torn achillies.

Lovely.

The Chiefs need to contact Taylor now. McCleon starting for 4 games is a nightmare.

Pants
06-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I still don't think Warfield is going to be suspended.

Hydrae
06-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Woods?

The Bad Guy
06-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Woods?

He's too slow to play safety. There is no way he can make the transition back now.

runnercyclist
06-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Fredex said he'd like to play both ways. Our troubles are over!

the Talking Can
06-19-2005, 04:04 PM
jesus...we can't afford injuries this year...

Reaper16
06-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Battle is done for the year with a torn achillies.

Lovely.

The Chiefs need to contact Taylor now. McCleon starting for 4 games is a nightmare.

*has flashbacks of Leftwich lobbing balls over the head of Dexter
" 3' 7'' " McCleon.*

http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowplaying/2004/v1i12/images/Scream-of-Fear.jpg

Bowser
06-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Out****ingstanding

Mr. Laz
06-19-2005, 04:06 PM
dammit ... we needed to keep our options open

*enter people telling everyone to calm down that battle sucked anyway*

stevieray
06-19-2005, 04:08 PM
That sucks.... :cuss:

runnercyclist
06-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Rich Scanlon played some Corner in Peewee football

Pitt Gorilla
06-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Wait, I thought that many on here wanted him cut anyway (at least, last year they did). It is sad to see a promising young player go down. I hope that he can stay focused and come back strong next year.

Phobia
06-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Wow. I watched him go down. I've seen a lot of achilles injuries. They are very distinct because they usually happen when the athlete is planting and accelerating forward. Battle was moving laterally when this injury happened.

TRR
06-19-2005, 04:13 PM
This may be a blessing in disquise. It may force Peterson to bring in a vet like Bobby Taylor or Ty Law. With Dex McCleon still on the mend, I think a vet CB would be ideal.

Taylor would play for the vets minimum...Ty Law won't

redsurfer11
06-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Just don't move Bartee back to CB.

chief52
06-19-2005, 04:20 PM
That's special...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/11935708.htm

Posted on Sun, Jun. 19, 2005

Chiefs CB Julian Battle out with torn Achilles

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Julian Battle will miss the upcoming season with a torn left Achilles tendon.

Battle, who had been working with the first team because of Eric Warfield's legal problems, was injured during a minicamp practice Saturday.

"He's going to be operated on," Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. "He popped his Achilles tendon, and he's lost for the year."

Battle, a third-round draft pick out of Tennessee in 2003, has played in 26 games for the Chiefs. He made one start last season, as a fifth defensive back.

Vermeil put Battle at the top of the depth chart for the team's latest minicamp because the Chiefs expect the NFL to suspend Warfield for violating the league's drug and alcohol policy. Warfield pleaded no contest in January to one count of driving under the influence in Johnson County, Kan.

The charge was a felony because Warfield has two prior DUI convictions. He was sentenced in March to 10 days in jail and 80 days of house arrest.

Battle was performing well before his injury, Vermeil said.

"We've known for a long time that he has the ability to be (a starter), and he was really demonstrating that," he said.

If the NFL suspends Warfield, Vermeil said, Dexter McCleon would be promoted to start alongside Patrick Surtain.

William Bartee started several games at cornerback before moving to a backup safety spot, but Vermeil said Bartee would not return to his former position.

The team could also sign another defensive back, Vermeil said.

"We'll look, but I don't know what's out there," he said. "We'll also more deeply evaluate those young people we have. We have time. We're not going to panic."

Skip Towne
06-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Just don't move Bartee back to CB.
Move Bartee 3' outside the front gate.

runnercyclist
06-19-2005, 04:27 PM
LawThe team could also sign another defensive back, Vermeil said.

Law or Taylor?

I'll bet we suddenly find some cap room.

Bowser
06-19-2005, 04:29 PM
I wonder what this will do for Battles' future. How many defensive backs have come back from a torn achilles?

DTLB58
06-19-2005, 04:30 PM
This sucks! We need to sign a veteran now for sure.

On a lighter note, can any of our WR's play CB? Ala Troy Brown ROFL

Mr. Laz
06-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I wonder what this will do for Battles' future. How many defensive backs have come back from a torn achilles?

i don't know, but there's a better than average chance that he's done completely. An achilles injury can permanently rob a player of the necessary explosion needed to be a top notch player.

for RB,WR and CB it's just a killer :shake:

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-19-2005, 04:35 PM
The return of Sexy Dexy? :hmmm:

TRR
06-19-2005, 04:38 PM
i don't know, but there's a better than average chance that he's done completely. An achilles injury can permanently rob a player of the necessary explosion needed to be a top notch player.

for RB,WR and CB it's just a killer :shake:

I would have to disagree. You see basketball players come back from the injury all the time.

Miles
06-19-2005, 04:46 PM
I would have to disagree. You see basketball players come back from the injury all the time.

Yeah it doesnt seem to be the career ender it once was and more often that not leads to a full recovery. Hell even Jerry Rice has torn an ACL.

However if a fringe guy like Battle gets hurt it may be hard for him to make it back.

Mr. Laz
06-19-2005, 04:53 PM

just wait ... next training camp they'll still be talking about him trying to recover from it.

i didn't say his career WAS done, just that it can be real difficult with that injury at his position. It also depends on how bad the tear is ... also a rupture is worse iirc.

chop
06-19-2005, 05:10 PM
This sucks! I thought he was going to be a good CB. He still might be but it would ahve been nice to see him step his play up THIS year.

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 05:11 PM
just looked like they got their feet tangled. I though for sure it was just a cramp guess not

milkman
06-19-2005, 05:22 PM
dammit ... we needed to keep our options open

*enter people telling everyone to calm down that battle sucked anyway*

Calm down people, Battle sucked anyway!

Didn't want to disappoint ya there, Laz.

milkman
06-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Wasn't it a torn or ruptured achilles tendon that effectively ended Kimble Anders career?

RedThat
06-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Sign Bobby Taylor now!

KChiefs1
06-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Billy Bartee is the name & an 0-4 start for the Chiefs is the game.

Zebedee DuBois
06-19-2005, 05:58 PM
shoot.

stevieray
06-19-2005, 06:01 PM
My guess is this news will prompt Tags to announce the suspension tomorrow.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Even if Warfield is suspended, Bartattle wouldn't have been the solution

tk13
06-19-2005, 06:04 PM
That would be our luck. The board will implode.

Pants
06-19-2005, 06:04 PM

WTF? You think Tags has it out for the Chiefs?

Demonpenz
06-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Wasn't it a torn or ruptured achilles tendon that effectively ended Kimble Anders career?

i think it was his 3.2 yards per carry

Chiefs Pantalones
06-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Another Vermeil draftee down the toilet.

Had to throw that in there.

milkman
06-19-2005, 06:54 PM
i think it was his 3.2 yards per carry

He was a hell of a fullback before the tailback experiment, and he never came back after that injury, if I remember correctly.

nascher
06-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Why this "hype" about Battle he didn't impressed me at all when he was in the game. He has done nothing so far
only thing he does is getting yellow flags.

RealSNR
06-19-2005, 08:06 PM
If we signed Taylor...

Surtain
Warfield (when suspension is over)
Taylor

That looks very juicy

jspchief
06-19-2005, 08:09 PM
I told my wife when I saw it that I thought it was an achilles.

As far as losing him, I don't think it's that critical of a loss. Remember, this is the guy that can cover like a blanket, but is more grabby than two 16 yr olds in the back of a Buick. He may have looked good in camp, but refs don't throw interference flags in camp. We are talking about the guy that couldn't beat out a horrible McCleon last year.

Sapp or McCleon may not be the ideal replacement for Warfield, but it will probably have to do for 4 games. I'm just treating the #44's suspension like an injury...there may be a drop off at that position, so others need to step up their game to mask it.

KCJake
06-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Yes it was. Kimble was a really good FB. The Chiefs tried him at RB, like they did everyone back then. Anyway, Kimble was having a kick@ss game against Denver(i think). Rushed for 150+yards. The game was almost over, basically garbage time. Kimble took the handoff, took one, maybe two steps forward, and bam! Season over, career over.

C-Mac
06-19-2005, 08:48 PM
He was a hell of a fullback before the tailback experiment, and he never came back after that injury, if I remember correctly.

Oh he came back and he made Gun make one of his most difficult decisions ever.
I think in the last game he started, he ran like 195 yards against the Bronco's

C-Mac
06-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Yes it was. Kimble was a really good FB. The Chiefs tried him at RB, like they did everyone back then. Anyway, Kimble was having a kick@ss game against Denver(i think). Rushed for 150+yards. The game was almost over, basically garbage time. Kimble took the handoff, took one, maybe two steps forward, and bam! Season over, career over.

Sorry KC Jake, I was busy typing while you were busy posting

Phobia
06-19-2005, 09:05 PM

I'd say that contributed. But Kimble's career ended because he was a 12 year veteran in a contract year when that happened. T-Rich was developed and playing well so the Chiefs didn't bring him back.

royr17
06-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Does anybody know if Battle had improved and was lookin good before he went down ???

Rausch
06-19-2005, 09:23 PM
If we signed Taylor...

Surtain
Warfield (when suspension is over)
Taylor

That looks very juicy :drool:

C-Mac
06-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Does anybody know if Battle had improved and was lookin good before he went down ???

I will say this, during skill drills one d-back stood out to me while I watched. He was very fluid and quick compared to the others. I looked on the roster sheet and sure enough it was Battle. I recalled that Vermiel had always talked about him as being one with pure athletisism, well now I was able to eye witness what he was talikng about. I also thought he was doing as good or better than the others on coverage...even though the recievers ruled the day.

teedubya
06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Im beginning to think that RedBull is Bobby Taylor's agent...

Wallcrawler
06-19-2005, 11:21 PM
I think it would be great to sign Bobby Taylor if the Chiefs could possibly manage it.

He's up in years, but I think he can still play. He's played in those types of schemes that Gun likes to run as well when he was playing in Philly. He's the big physical corner than Gunther likes to have. He may not beat out Warfield for the starting spot, but he is worlds better than Mcleon, Battle, Hodge, and Sapp.

Coach
06-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Well, at least good news for some people who doesn't want to see Bartee play as CB again.

From KFFL

Chiefs | Bartee to Stay at Safety
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:06:04 -0700

The Associated Press reports even with the injury to Kansas City Chiefs CB Julian Battle, out for the year with an Achilles' injury, head coach Dick Vermeil said Sunday, June 19, S William Bartee would not be moved back to cornerback.

Joe Seahawk
06-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Why don't you guys just go sign Herndon or Dyson.. Oh yeah thats right, cause we already did!!!.. :p :p

Sorry to hear about Battle.. Sucks to lose anybody in training camp.. :shake:

alanm
06-20-2005, 02:00 AM
I'd like to interject my own little thoughts and then I'll shut up.
I think we have a more than passable replacement on the roster in Sapp. I'm not just pimping him because he's my adopt a Chief, but from what I saw out of him on the field last fall. The kid has the talent to be pressing for a starting job to begin with. Sure he did most of his playing time last year as a nickle and as a replacement for Bartee and McCleon. But when he did play he made plays. He's got a nose for the ball and he's a hard hitter. If he gets a chance to start he could very well break out and blossom right in front of our eyes. I think the kids a football player.

Ultra Peanut
06-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Even if Warfield is suspended, Bartattle wouldn't have been the solutionBingo.

Mr. Laz
06-20-2005, 11:14 AM
i had been quietly holding out hope that Battle would live up to his potiential.

i like that pick :(

tis sad really

htismaqe
06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
i had been quietly holding out hope that Battle would live up to his potiential.

i like that pick :(

tis sad really

I think most of us like to hold out hope, especially for a CB that's tall, fast, and very athletic. Unfortunately, that's the kind of thinking that's killed the Chiefs recently -- becoming enamored with "tangibles" to the point of passing up guys who can flat-out play.

I watched Bennie Sapp for 4 years in college. He's not tall, no. But he can flat-out play. When he was at Iowa, he was EVERY BIT Bob Sanders' equal. Sapp then got arrested and kicked off the team and had to finish in 1-AA. Sanders, who is also not the biggest DB in the world, went on the be a 2nd-round pick and a damn good NFL safety.