PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs are the Focus of this week's MMQB by Peter King

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 08:35 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/06/17/mmqb.chiefs/index.html

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 08:41 AM
What a frigging tool.... Peter "man boobs" King is all over that faiduh cool-aid. "Most improved offense in the league"? The line still blows, Collins is still the QB, and best of all, Turner is still HC and Stooge #2 (Jimmy Raye) is still the OC! lol

Brock
06-20-2005, 08:44 AM
6. I think it was interesting to watch Chiefs third-round pick Dustin Colquitt, the punter, sky some kicks to Darren Bennett levels the other day. Interesting because he's a left-footed punter, and he puts some weird sort of English on the ball. When you combine 5.0-second hang times with a screwball-type of effect, the ball can be pretty hard to catch. On consecutive punts, Eddie Kennison dropped one and Dante Hall had to lunge awkwardly to catch one a few inches off the ground. Could be a big weapon there.

7. I think whether it's after this year (more likely) or next year (less likely), Dick Vermeil will be coaching his last football season soon. And he left no doubt with me that he wants offensive coordinator Al Saunders to succeed him atop the Chiefs. Weird how Saunders can't get a sniff out there for a coaching job, especially given the incredible job he's done with players drafted far down the line or not at all (Trent Green, Priest Holmes, Brian Waters, Tony Richardson). The Chiefs would be lucky to have him succeed Vermeil.

TEX
06-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Wow - pretty solid take from King for a change...

beavis
06-20-2005, 08:46 AM
What a frigging tool.... Peter "man boobs" King is all over that faiduh cool-aid. "Most improved offense in the league"? The line still blows, Collins is still the QB, and best of all, Turner is still HC and Stooge #2 (Jimmy Raye) is still the OC! lol
...and they still have a bunch of skirts on D.

Warrior5
06-20-2005, 08:52 AM
6. I think it was interesting to watch Chiefs third-round pick Dustin Colquitt, the punter, sky some kicks to Darren Bennett levels the other day. Interesting because he's a left-footed punter, and he puts some weird sort of English on the ball. When you combine 5.0-second hang times with a screwball-type of effect, the ball can be pretty hard to catch. On consecutive punts, Eddie Kennison dropped one and Dante Hall had to lunge awkwardly to catch one a few inches off the ground. Could be a big weapon there.

I was watching Colquitt during the open mini-camp Saturday, and was impressed to say the least. My son and I were timing his hang-time, and he averaged 4.5 - 5.2. Dante, EK, and Bennett consistently had trouble catching his punts.

I think Nick Murphy better be looking for employment elsewhere.

jynni
06-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Weird how Saunders can't get a sniff out there for a coaching job, especially given the incredible job he's done with players drafted far down the line or not at all (Trent Green, Priest Holmes, Brian Waters, Tony Richardson). The Chiefs would be lucky to have him succeed Vermeil.
Didn't the Raiders try to snag Saunders just last season?

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 08:55 AM
That knuckleball thing he had going was wicked, too.

All-in-all, pretty nice read from the former Rams-homer, current Charger- and Raider-homer. And it is hard not to watch DJ play and think he could be something great.

Gonna be fun, though, to see what kind of takes King has in December when SD and Jokeland are both sub-500.

Herzig
06-20-2005, 08:58 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/06/17/mmqb.chiefs/index.html

Is anyone here embarrassed by the fact that a Pats fan posted a Chiefs story here before anyone of us?

Rep to you Amnorix!

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Is anyone here embarrassed by the fact that a Pats fan posted a Chiefs story here before anyone of us?

Rep to you Amnorix!No, I'm actually kind of proud that we were able to ignore a Peter King article for so long.

Mile High Mania
06-20-2005, 09:26 AM
I think it's pretty accurate to say that the Raiders are potentially the most improved offense. Moss and Lamont Jordan will be huge to that offense if Jordan proves to be a 280+ carry RB. Many think he is that guy and if he is going to succeed, Norv Turner is the guy to make him a top RB. Just look at the history of Norv and RBs under his coaching.

Yes, defensively they'll give the Chiefs of 2003 and 2004 a run for their money for one of the worst in the league, but offensively... Moss, Porter, Curry, Jordan and Collins should light it up. Collins is a strong QB in the sense of his arm being really good and playing in an "air it out" offense fits him.

So, offensively the Raiders will give any team fits and most games should combine for more than 50 points with the Raiders likely only winning 7 tops.

scooter
06-20-2005, 09:40 AM
While working on an SI story, I walked into the office of Baltimore coach Brian Billick the other day, and the first thing he said was: "I don't know why you're wasting time with us. We're not even going to the playoffs this year.'' A couple of minutes later, in came GM Ozzie Newsome. "You mean the Patriots let you come down to see another team?'' he says. Ouch. "

I thought this was pretty funny.

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 09:48 AM
I thought this was pretty funny.

That ballwashing he gave us in last week's MMQB was over the top even for most Patriots fans. :eek:

Of course, much better to read that stuff than to remember the days when the Pats weren't even a blip on the national NFL news media's radar.

ct
06-20-2005, 10:02 AM
I think it's pretty accurate to say that the Raiders are potentially the most improved offense. Moss and Lamont Jordan will be huge to that offense if Jordan proves to be a 280+ carry RB. Many think he is that guy and if he is going to succeed, Norv Turner is the guy to make him a top RB. Just look at the history of Norv and RBs under his coaching.

Yes, defensively they'll give the Chiefs of 2003 and 2004 a run for their money for one of the worst in the league, but offensively... Moss, Porter, Curry, Jordan and Collins should light it up. Collins is a strong QB in the sense of his arm being really good and playing in an "air it out" offense fits him.

So, offensively the Raiders will give any team fits and most games should combine for more than 50 points with the Raiders likely only winning 7 tops.

I completely agree. Interesting note, just pulled out the KC@OAK game last night, watched the 1st half. Watching Collins, Porter, Curry and Gabriel tear up our secondary w/out any running game whatsoever was humbling. Add in Moss and Jordan, and I get really uncomfortable. It's gonna take more than a drastically improved LB corp to hold these guys in check. We may be pretty deep at S, but our CB depth is sh!t.

BigMeatballDave
06-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Kansas City opens with three playoff teams in four weeks (Jets, Broncos, Eagles) and a fourth, Oakland, that could be the most improved offensive team in football in 2005.What a tool! He calls Oakland a 'playoff' team because they have the most improved offense? Their defense went unimproved over the off season. How is Oakland a playoff team and KC not? ****in' retard... :shake:

Mile High Mania
06-20-2005, 10:10 AM
What a tool! He calls Oakland a 'playoff' team because they have the most improved offense? Their defense went unimproved over the off season. How is Oakland a playoff team and KC not? ****in' retard... :shake:

I see how it could be interpreted that he's referring to Oak as a playoff team, but I don't think that was his intention. I think he was referring to the first 3 and then saying "oh by the way, their 4th game is against the most improved offense".

wildcat09
06-20-2005, 10:24 AM
I was watching Colquitt during the open mini-camp Saturday, and was impressed to say the least. My son and I were timing his hang-time, and he averaged 4.5 - 5.2. Dante, EK, and Bennett consistently had trouble catching his punts.

I think Nick Murphy better be looking for employment elsewhere.

i returned punts in college and our punter was left-footed and he booted the hell out of the ball. i hated catching his punts in practice. the rotation is so much different. it only made catching them in the games easier.

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 11:29 AM
What a tool! He calls Oakland a 'playoff' team because they have the most improved offense? Their defense went unimproved over the off season. How is Oakland a playoff team and KC not? ****in' retard... :shake:

err...that's exactly NOT what he said. He said 3 playoff teams and Oakland, which could have the most improved offense in football.

That does NOT mean that Oakland is also a playoff team.

donkhater
06-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Besides, I think he meant 3 playoff teams...from last year.

Spicy McHaggis
06-20-2005, 11:45 AM
What pisses me off is the general consensus that the Chiefs D won't improve enough despite bringing 3 pro-bowlers, drafting a future one, and signing a pass-rushing DE but the Colts defense will single-handedly be saved by Marlin Jackson.

buddha
06-20-2005, 01:18 PM
I think Norm....er, Peter...is right on target with his comments and skepticism. With all the new faces it's hard to know how it will all transfer to the field, and how long will it take for KC's defense to play well as a unit, not a collection of players?

ct
06-20-2005, 01:20 PM
What pisses me off is the general consensus that the Chiefs D won't improve enough despite bringing 3 pro-bowlers, drafting a future one, and signing a pass-rushing DE but the Colts defense will single-handedly be saved by Marlin Jackson.

You make a good point on Jackson, but let's not get carried away with DJ, ok?

milkman
06-20-2005, 06:23 PM

It seems the team that almost everyone is bandwagon jumping because of their offseason acquisitions is the Vikings.

I can't even remember who they picked up now, but I didn't think their offseason was as good as ours, yet everyone seemed to think they were going to really improve on D, and questioned our moves.

Could be they feel that way, though, because they play in the weaker conference.

DTLB58
06-20-2005, 07:21 PM
"There's been too much false optimism around the Chiefs the past two or three offseasons. The team always thought it made enough moves to be adequate on defense, and it turns out it never did. So let's give Kansas City credit for the effort that came a year too late, and let's wait. I'm sticking with San Diego to win the West, but I'm intrigued. Watching Derrick Johnson run around can do that to you".

I have no problem with this statement at all. I said the same thing last year when everyone was trashing our defense before the season started. Yes, it pissed me off but, I said we haven't proven a thing on the field and till we do we are the 31st ranked defense.

stevieray
06-20-2005, 07:32 PM
I completely agree. Interesting note, just pulled out the KC@OAK game last night, watched the 1st half. Watching Collins, Porter, Curry and Gabriel tear up our secondary w/out any running game whatsoever was humbling. Add in Moss and Jordan, and I get really uncomfortable. It's gonna take more than a drastically improved LB corp to hold these guys in check. We may be pretty deep at S, but our CB depth is sh!t.

It helps when the refs call a ball bouncing off the turf a completion.

Rain Man
06-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Is it just me, or are other people getting excited about Derrick Johnson, too?