PDA

View Full Version : Whats the 5 most most OVERrated films

oaklandhater
06-20-2005, 09:01 AM
mine are

1.Ocean's Twelve(top-billed stars doing nothing isn't very entertaining)
2..Casablanca (dont really know why i hate it i just do)
3.I, Robot watched it with my "brain turned on" and guess what? It still sucked
4.Donnie Darko good but not great
5.Mystic River I hate every movie Clint Eastwood is the Director of!

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 09:02 AM
I thought about participating until I saw Casablanca on the list.

Next thread.

KCChiefsMan
06-20-2005, 09:05 AM
I thought about participating until I saw Casablanca on the list.

Next thread.
ya and mystic river was good too

Bowser
06-20-2005, 09:08 AM
It's too hard to think of "overrated" films. Films that suck are much easier.

This post has been inspired by the laziness thread.

Goapics1
06-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Water World with Kevin Costner. I think they spent a billion dollars to make it and it was a pure shit film.

el borracho
06-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Reservoir Dogs

brorth
06-20-2005, 09:13 AM
1. Titanic

2. Waterworld

3. The Phantom Menace

4. Attack of the Clones

5. Revenge of the Sith

jspchief
06-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Doesn't the film have to "rated" to be over-rated? That would exclude Waterworld, Ocean's Twelve, and I Robot.

Chiefnj
06-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Taxi Driver.

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Phantom Menace

Office Space (from what I heard, I thought I'd HAVE to go buy this movie. It was okay, but I wasn't as impressed as the hype made it out to be)

Citizen Kane -- normally ranked very high on best-ever movie lists, I saw it once and never again. I'm sure it was ground-breaking at the time, and again, a good movie, but it's not on my top 10 list, or even top 100 list if I ever bother to make one.

Kill Bill vol. 1.

Titanic

oaklandhater
06-20-2005, 09:29 AM
ya and mystic river was good too

I hated this damn movie

Just a few things that are wrong with it

Generally I thought it was sloppily made, actually. The lighting was terrible. Did anyone notice the scene with the annoying goons in the car in broad daylight and it was PITCH BLACK inside the car?

The murder of Katie was what set the movie into motion, and the final explanation was very unconvincing.

And that speech by his wife when the movie ended you killed one of your best Friends letz just try to get on with life WTF

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Good Will Hunting
As Good As It Gets
Good Willing Hunting
Meet The Fockers
Good Will Hunting

sd4chiefs
06-20-2005, 09:35 AM
These are movies that are top money makers but were not that great or just sucked. Not including Titanic. $600 Million

1. Meet the Fockers. Not that great. $279 Million

2. How the Grinch stole Christmas. Sucked. $262 Million

3. Bruce Almighty. Started out OK but the ending sucked. $243 Million

4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Stupid. $241 Million

5. Signs. You have to be kidding me. $228 Million

Demonpenz
06-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Good Will Hunting
As Good As It Gets
Good Willing Hunting
Meet The Fockers
Good Will Hunting

but wait look at the great scenes YOU LIKE APPLES HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES! that scene was pure hollywood gold only to be matched if they another robocop

BigMeatballDave
06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Office Space (from what I heard, I thought I'd HAVE to go buy this movie. It was okay, but I wasn't as impressed as the hype made it out to be)

OMG! That flick was hilarious! And I don't even work in an office...
ROFL

ct
06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Gladiator
SW Episode I, II, III
The English Patient
The Village
Titanic

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 09:46 AM
OMG! That flick was hilarious! And I don't even work in an office...
ROFL

:shrug: It didn't work for me, no idea why. I mean, it didn't suck, but I didn't die laughing like everyone had told me to expect.

el borracho
06-20-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of.... disagree with you there.

brorth
06-20-2005, 09:56 AM
:shrug: It didn't work for me, no idea why. I mean, it didn't suck, but I didn't die laughing like everyone had told me to expect.
Wow, if that's all it takes to make it into your 5 most, most overrated films, I'd hate to see the list of the movies of yours that didn't receive consideration. (Caddyshack was good, but not the best sports movie like everyone said...Indiana Jones was ok, but the special effects looked like they were from 1981...).

RealSNR
06-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Super Troopers was another movie where everyone is like "LOL!!! T3H FUNNY!"

I thought it sucked.

A lot of Adam Sandler films, too. Sandler's humor is way too forced for my own good.

CosmicPal
06-20-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of.... disagree with you there.

ROFL

Jenson71
06-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Citizen Kane -- normally ranked very high on best-ever movie lists, I saw it once and never again. I'm sure it was ground-breaking at the time, and again, a good movie, but it's not on my top 10 list, or even top 100 list if I ever bother to make one.

The great Pauline Kael said it best in her book in 1988 that Kane is the only movie that is just as fresh today as when it came out in 1941.

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Wow, if that's all it takes to make it into your 5 most, most overrated films, I'd hate to see the list of the movies of yours that didn't receive consideration. (Caddyshack was good, but not the best sports movie like everyone said...Indiana Jones was ok, but the special effects looked like they were from 1981...).

Let me put it this way -- it was overrated compard to what I had been made to expect from many of my friends. Basically, when 3 or 4 people or whatever say it's the funniest damn movie ever, and you sit down to watch, I expected to be LMAO.

I didn't, so it was overrated compared to what I had been given to expect.

And I realize I'm in the distinct minority on this one. It's got an internet cult following or something.

Edit: One further note -- the movie probably had a budget of like 50 bucks, and had ZERO hype. Compared to THAT, it was obviously a good movie. I'm just saying it was overrated, in MY own opinion, compared to what everyone else seems to think about it. :)

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 12:28 PM
The great Pauline Kael said it best in her book in 1988 that Kane is the only movie that is just as fresh today as when it came out in 1941.

don't know who Pauline Kael is. Don't care either. I find the movie rather boring overall. Not rip my eyeballs out boring. But just not that great.

:shrug:

Look, this is an OVERrated list. Not an all-time worst movies, or movies that made your eyeballs bleed, list.

Overrated to me means that you expected X, and got X-50%, or whatever.

I expected Citizen Kane to be great because that's what many film reviewers said it was. I didn't find it to be so.

I expected Office Space to be awesome because several friends said so. I thought otherwise.

I'm not saying they sucked, just that they didn't meet my expectations.

Amnorix
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM

Let me put it another way -- Pauline Kael (whoever she is) can kiss my Rosebud...

:LOL:

Jenson71
06-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Pauline Kael (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Kael)

What is "great" to you?

jspchief
06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Citizen Kane is one of those movies that movie elitists/dorks fellate all the time, but it just doesn't (usually) hit a homerun with the casual movie watcher.

You could say this about a lot of genre's besides "movie dork". People who love westerns may think The Wild Bunch is the best movie, while casual fans may prefer The Unforgiven or even something as cheesy as Silverado.

It has a lot to do with what you like. My guess is, the average casual movie fan wouldn't think much of a lot of movies on Jenson's "Best" list.

Gaz
06-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Overrated implies that the critics or mass public opinion categorized them as great films. Therefore, some really crappy movies [“Unbreakable,” & “The Phantom Menace,” for example] miss the cut. Cult movies like "Donnie Darko" or "Napolean Dynamite" also do not qualify.

So, the ones that got tons of hype and reeked in the theater:

“The Thin Red Line”
“Signs”
“Eyes Wide Shut”
“Kill Bill, Volume 1”
“The English Patient”

If we go by the raves on this BB, you can add “Office Space” and “Donnie Darko” to the list.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has seen more than his fair share of crappy movies.

BigRedChief
06-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Taxi Driver
Casablanca
Kill Bill vol.1
Overated? You guys alive? :Poke:

QT is the best modern day director. Period.

Best old school movie

And the top film of the 70's.

CosmicPal
06-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I expected Office Space to be awesome because several friends said so. I thought otherwise.

I'm not saying they sucked, just that they didn't meet my expectations.

Your expectations may have been too high based on your friends' comments regarding the film. It's one thing to base your expectations from the media, but it's another thing when you base your expectations from your friends- 'cause in this case- you ACTUALLY expect it to be so slick as your friends say so.

I'd say give it another try...

Napolean Dynamite is your Office Space to me. I had a lot of friends who said it was the funniest movie, yet some said it was dry, horrible, and boring. Upon seeing it myself the first time- I too hated it. Most of my friends were suprised to discover I hated it, so I watched it again- the second time around, I laughed maybe a couple of times, but still kept staring at the wall wondering how I could put a killer entertainment center in there.

CosmicPal
06-20-2005, 01:06 PM
BTW- Office Space cannot be considered as an over-rated film. Office Space is a cult classic that flopped in the theaters. It wasn't until it came out on cable and DVD- did it ever gain popularity.

If you're going to add cult classics to this list, the most over-rated film would then be Rocky Horror's Picture Show.

Gaz
06-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Tarantino struck gold with “Reservoir Dogs” and “Pulp Fiction.” They were raw and inventive, with a fascinating story structure and dialogue that sounded natural. Unfortunately, Tarantino bought into the widespread myth that he is a film genius and he dumped a very mediocre “Jackie Brown” [although it featured the mega-hot Pam Grier] and the [2] awful “Kill Bill” loads onto the screen.

“Kill Bill, Volume 1” was nothing but stolen bits and pieces from other films.

The best modern day director is either David Fincher or Ridley Scott, although I would have to concede that James Cameron has an impressive claim to the throne.

As always, your mileage may vary.

xoxo~
Gaz
Failed to buy into the genius hype.

cadmonkey
06-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Good Will Hunting
As Good As It Gets
Good Willing Hunting
Meet The Fockers
Good Will Hunting

Good Will Hunting is a great movie.

ck_IN
06-20-2005, 01:13 PM
I'd start off with any movie that had Leo Dicaprio in it. That boy makes Tom Cruise look macho.

I'd follow that up with any move that featured Nicole Kidman in it. Eyes wide shut was a total robbery of two hours of my life.

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 01:20 PM
1. Titanic
2. Gladiator
3. Pearl Harbor
4. Armageddon
5. Independence Day

shakesthecat
06-20-2005, 01:21 PM
I'd start off with any movie that had Leo Dicaprio in it. That boy makes Tom Cruise look macho.

I somewhat agree, but I thought he did a good job in The Aviator.

Miles
06-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Fight Club
Return of the King
Forrest Gump
The Wild Bunch
Titanic

buddha
06-20-2005, 01:29 PM
1. Gone with the Wind...feels like I age an entire year each time I'm forced to watch it.

2. The English Patient...same thing.

3. ET...was there ever a film that was as over hyped as this film? It wasn't horrible, but it was extremely overrated.

4. Titanic...I've seen this on some of the other lists and I agree. It was a long, laborious movie where I not only didn't care about the characters, but was actively waiting for them to sink.

5. Anchorman...this will be an unpopular choice with some, but for the two or three decent laughs in this film, it was pretty disappointing to me.

I thought Office Space was inspired. It was never meant to be a laugh out loud comedy, but rather a dark look at corporate America. It was brilliant.

Any movie by Tarantino or Kubrick simply cannot be on this list. They are pioneers, and while you may not like their style, they NEVER produced anything remotely resembling Waterworld!

milkman
06-20-2005, 06:56 PM

I'd follow that up with any move that featured Nicole Kidman in it. Eyes wide shut was a total robbery of two hours of my life.

I agree with you wholeheatedly on both points.

On a sidenote, I've never seen Mystic River, and hadn't seen billboards or TV commercials before I heard the radio commercials for it, and since my hearing is somewhat less than spectacular, I always thought they were saying "Mister Quiver".

Until I learned the actual title, I was somewhat intrigued.

RealSNR
06-20-2005, 07:03 PM
1. Gone with the Wind...feels like I age an entire year each time I'm forced to watch it.

2. The English Patient...same thing.

3. ET...was there ever a film that was as over hyped as this film? It wasn't horrible, but it was extremely overrated.

4. Titanic...I've seen this on some of the other lists and I agree. It was a long, laborious movie where I not only didn't care about the characters, but was actively waiting for them to sink.

5. Anchorman...this will be an unpopular choice with some, but for the two or three decent laughs in this film, it was pretty disappointing to me.

I thought Office Space was inspired. It was never meant to be a laugh out loud comedy, but rather a dark look at corporate America. It was brilliant.

Any movie by Tarantino or Kubrick simply cannot be on this list. They are pioneers, and while you may not like their style, they NEVER produced anything remotely resembling Waterworld!Oh come now... no way you can snub your nose at Gone With the Wind. First color film ever. Most realistic film of its day. It was THE movie for several years. I'm a youngblood and I know this.

You don't have to like Gone With the Wind. But you gotta respect it.

milkman
06-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Oh come now... no way you can snub your nose at Gone With the Wind. First color film ever. Most realistic film of its day. It was THE movie for several years. I'm a youngblood and I know this.

You don't have to like Gone With the Wind. But you gotta respect it.

I hated that movie the first time I saw it, and yet was forced to watch every year when it came on the TV.
You grow to despise so much, you can never come to respect it.

I feel the same way about The Wizard of Oz.

If the producers of that utter turd were still alive, I think I'd hunt 'em down and kill them.

milkman
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Another overrated movie was Twister.

I went to see that in the theatre, and came away feeling as though I just blew 10 bucks and 2 1/2 hours, though I did get a big laugh from it.

In the early part of the movie, when Dad decided he wa going to try to hold the door as the tornado passed over, and got sucked away, I just laughed my ass off.

Chieficus
06-20-2005, 07:23 PM
In the category of "everyone I know hyped it up, but I hated it," three stick out very distinctly:

Napolian Dynamite
Dumb and Dumber
A River Runs Through It

irishjayhawk
06-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Fight Club
Starwars I, II, III

I called the whole movie not knowing anything about it in the first 10 minutes (fightclub) and Starwars just sucked. THe whole trilogy sucked but you can't tell geeks that.

How are Gladiator and Office Space overrated?

KChiefsQT
06-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Interview w/ Vampire
Blade Runner
Gone With the Wind
Lord of the Rings (every one of them)
Star Wars(same as above)

However, on the flip side... I saw Spanglish the other day, it was realllly good and very under-rated. Rent it...you won't be dissapointed!

Bowser
06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Interview w/ Vampire
Blade Runner
Gone With the Wind
Lord of the Rings (every one of them)
Star Wars(same as above)

However, on the flip side... I saw Spanglish the other day, it was realllly good and very under-rated. Rent it...you won't be dissapointed!

Let's see.....you didn't like Blade Runner, but want us to watch Spanglish? I, for one, will not fall for this chick-flick crap.

KChiefsQT
06-20-2005, 07:57 PM
hahah.... I should've known.

Ghost
06-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Saw someone list Gladiator on here, damn shame there but oh well.

1) Donnie Darko - saw it once, and not since.

2) Donnie Darko 2 Revenge of the Jet Engine - haven't seen it but know it will be crap.

3) Donnie Darko 3 Meet the Darkos - again disappointed

4) Donnie Darko 4 Uh WTF is Going on Here? - pure sh*t

5) Hero - Hated this f*cking movie.

Fairplay
06-20-2005, 08:24 PM
The Wild Bunch

I liked The Wild Bunch. Great movie.

Frazod
06-20-2005, 08:25 PM
mine are

1.Ocean's Twelve(top-billed stars doing nothing isn't very entertaining)
2..Casablanca (dont really know why i hate it i just do)
3.I, Robot watched it with my "brain turned on" and guess what? It still sucked
4.Donnie Darko good but not great
5.Mystic River I hate every movie Clint Eastwood is the Director of!

You're lucky you've got your f#cking rep turned off after dissing Casablanca... :#

However, since I agree with you on two counts - Mystic River (WTF? :spock: ) and the odious Donnie Darko, I guess I won't hunt you down and beat you over the head with a bottle of Vichy water. :)

Other movies that definitely weren't worth the hype:

Gone With the Wind (NOT the first color movie, BTW)
Thin Red Line
Born on the Fourth of July
Moonstruck
Once Upon a Time in America

Will certainly think of others later.

Bowser
06-20-2005, 08:27 PM
The Thin Red Line wasn't overrated, it was just a steaming pile of dungus. :shake:

Jenny Gump
06-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Leaving Las Vegas
Meet the Fockers
Spanglish
The Lost Boys
Anything with Barbara Streisand in it

Frazod
06-20-2005, 08:29 PM
The Thin Red Line wasn't overrated, it was just a steaming pile of dungus. :shake:

It was nominated for Best Picture AND it was a steaming pile of dungus.

You can't get much more overrated than that.

milkman
06-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Leaving Las Vegas
Meet the Fockers
Spanglish
The Lost Boys

Gotta love a woman that doesn't like Streisand.

Bowser
06-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Leaving Las Vegas
Meet the Fockers
Spanglish
The Lost Boys

You had me until The Lost Boys. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

And yes, Streisand is worse than sitting through an Amway sales pitch.

Fairplay
06-20-2005, 08:31 PM
So has anyone seen The Aviator? And if so what did they think of it?
Im not a DeCraprio fan, but would think the film might have some historical value of how the tycoon made TWA.

Hammock Parties
06-20-2005, 08:35 PM
All the Star Wars movies + all Scorsese films (sorry Jenson).

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Behind the Green Door.

Slow-mo trapeze spunk is not art.

RNR
06-20-2005, 08:49 PM

Any movie by Tarantino or Kubrick simply cannot be on this list. They are pioneers, and while you may not like their style, they NEVER produced anything remotely resembling Waterworld!
Office space was mildly entertaining, and may be cool to someone that works in a office, but I could not relate. I am taken back that you would list Tarintino with Kubrick :shake: Tarintino is the most overrated person in hollywood ever less Andy Warhol.

Jenny Gump
06-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Office space was mildly entertaining, and may be cool to someone that works in a office, but I could not relate. I am taken back that you would list Tarintino with Kubrick :shake: Tarintino is the most overrated person in hollywood ever less Andy Warhol.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Eyes Wide Shut. That would knock Lost Boys off my list.

Fairplay
06-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Speaking of films. There is one coming out this weekend that i am so pysched over. Yes thats right George Romeros Land of the Dead.
Can't wait. If you have to beg, borrow or steal to go see it do it. I promise you it will not disappoint you.

Here is the storyline for the film.

While the walking dead wreak havoc across the globe, the citizens of a walled city try to scrape out a zombie-free existence. Riley leads a crew of soldiers given the task of protecting the living from the undead. But Riley notices a disturbing trend: The zombies are developing intelligence and organizing an army.

Cool! The zombies are smarter, not mindless idiots! So they are a notch above Faiderfans.

Some of the cast includes......Simon Baker, John Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper, Asia Argento, Robert Joy. It even has Simon Pegg, the main guy from 'Shaun of the Dead' as a zombie, heh.

Website for this phenomenon is...

http://www.landofthedeadmovie.net/htdocs/lotd.html

Hammock Parties
06-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Speaking of films. There is one coming out this weekend that i am so pysched over. Yes thats right George Romeros Land of the Dead.
Can't wait. If you have to beg borrow or steal to go see it do it. I promise you it will not dissapoint you.

Here is the storyline for the film.

While the walking dead wreak havoc across the globe, the citizens of a walled city try to scrape out a zombie-free existence. Riley leads a crew of soldiers given the task of protecting the living from the undead. But Riley notices a disturbing trend: The zombies are developing intelligence and organizing an army.

Cool! The zombies are smarter, not mindless idiots! So they are a notch above Faiderfans.

Some of the cast includes......Simon Baker, John Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper, Asia Argento, Robert Joy. It even has Simon Pegg, the main guy from 'Shaun of the Dead' as a zombie, heh.

Website for this phenomenon is...

http://www.landofthedeadmovie.net/htdocs/lotd.html

1. Have you heard about Nightwatch?
2. Have you seen 28 Days Later?

Fairplay
06-20-2005, 09:07 PM

I seen 28 days later, i have the DVD also. Seen it about 10 times.

picasso
06-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Fight Club
Return of the King
Forrest Gump
The Wild Bunch
Titanic

Fight Club?
Return of the King?
FORREST GUMP?????!!!!!!
What a load. I know it's an opinion but Forrest put Hanks and many on that cast into a fury of million dollar movies afterwards. It was some of the best cinematography ever and had a storyline of genious proportions.

Try:
Monsters Ball - Love the beginning 5 minutes with the kid commiting suicide but the rest was lame
Chicago - I could do that if Richard Geer can
Mystic River - Penn was way better in 21 grams
Titanic - I AGREE!!!!

Miles
06-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Fight Club?
Return of the King?
FORREST GUMP?????!!!!!!
What a load. I know it's an opinion but Forrest put Hanks and many on that cast into a fury of million dollar movies afterwards. It was some of the best cinematography ever and had a storyline of genious proportions.

Other than Titanic I dont consider the others to be bad movies, just not nearly as good as critics say they are.

The acting was great in Forrest Gump but thats about all I enjoyed with it. I just dont see why its that highly regarded which is why I consider it to be so overrated. That it won best picture over Pulp Ficiton and Shawshank Redemption is even a bigger mystery.

Valiant
06-20-2005, 09:58 PM

Kubrick yes, Tarantino has done nothing but steal old ideas... He either ripped off 70's movies are copied japanesse fight films... Pioneer my ass.. I will give him credit for bringing back old school action movies, but pioneer... ROFL

Valiant
06-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Another overrated movie was Twister.

I went to see that in the theatre, and came away feeling as though I just blew 10 bucks and 2 1/2 hours, though I did get a big laugh from it.

In the early part of the movie, when Dad decided he wa going to try to hold the door as the tornado passed over, and got sucked away, I just laughed my ass off.

Where do you all watch movies... I have never payed more then 8.50 max here in kansas city and usually pay around 6.50 to see a movie at 9-11pm on a friday when they come out???

Frankie
06-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Whats the 5 most most OVERrated films

1- Terms of Endearment
2- Terms of Endearment
3- Terms of Endearment
4- Terms of Endearment
5- Terms of Endearment

Nzoner
06-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Kubrick yes, Tarantino has done nothing but steal old ideas... He either ripped off 70's movies are copied japanesse fight films... Pioneer my ass.. I will give him credit for bringing back old school action movies, but pioneer... ROFL

The problem I see is the younger generation doesn't want to be bothered with older classics or even realize that guys like Tarantino are truly drawing off ideas of the past.

Hell,we had a 17 year old exchange student a few years ago that told me he was a movie fanatic but didn't want to watch anything prior to 1985.:rolleyes:

I changed his way of thinking real quick,and he ended up loving a lot of 70's and earlier stuff I showed him.

Valiant
06-20-2005, 10:07 PM

They are working on 28 weeks later now.. It is going to be crap, as there is no returning cast and a new director...

The plot so far is, England is empty... America is going to come in and restart the island..thats it so far...

Also for 28 days later, took me forever to figure out that the scarecrow in batman begins is the lead dude from 28 days... That guys eyes and look freaked me out more so then the masked scarecrow...

The Bad Guy
06-20-2005, 10:09 PM
In the category of "everyone I know hyped it up, but I hated it," three stick out very distinctly:

Napolian Dynamite
Dumb and Dumber
A River Runs Through It

If you hated Dumb & Dumber then you need to just end your life because you have zero personality.

Frankie
06-20-2005, 10:09 PM
1- Terms of Endearment
2- Terms of Endearment
3- Terms of Endearment
4- Terms of Endearment
5- Terms of Endearment
Sorry. Correction:

1- Terms of Endearment
2- Terms of Endearment
3- Terms of Endearment
4- Terms of Endearment
5- Lost in Translation

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 10:10 PM
If you hated Dumb & Dumber then you need to just end your life because you have zero personality.*bang*

I didn't realize my total lack of personality had anything to do with hating dumb & dumber. Interesting.

Frazod
06-20-2005, 10:13 PM
If you hated Dumb & Dumber then you need to just end your life because you have zero personality.

Well, I guess I have no personality, because I thought it sucked ass.

I liked Kingpin and Something About Mary. Of course, those movies weren't f#cking retarded.

The Bad Guy
06-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Well, I guess I have no personality, because I thought it sucked ass.

I liked Kingpin and Something About Mary. Of course, those movies weren't f#cking retarded.

I don't see how it's humanly possible to dislike Dumb & Dumber.

Frazod
06-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I don't see how it's humanly possible to dislike Dumb & Dumber.

Hey, some people watch Jerry Springer. I don't get that, either.

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey, some people watch Jerry Springer. I don't get that, either.American Idol...

NJ Chief Fan
06-20-2005, 10:17 PM
****IN STAR WARS MAY BE THE WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 10:20 PM
****IN STAR WARS MAY BE THE WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Only long ago, in a galaxy far, far away where nobody has ever heard of Battlefield Earth.

Frankie
06-20-2005, 10:21 PM
American Idol...
Hey hey hey.... watch it!!!

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey hey hey.... watch it!!!If my life came down to a choice between 5 minutes of american idol, 5 minutes of oprah winfrey, 5 minutes of Lifetime/We or a slow death simmering/drowning in a pot of whale semen, I'm not sure what I'd pick. They're all torture.

Gaz
06-21-2005, 05:59 AM
I think that is a very good point out the misguided Tarantino worship. If you had not already seen the various scenes he cobbled together into “Kill Bill, Volume 1,” you might think he invented that stuff, instead of lifting it wholesale from old wuxia films.

Now, I want to give him credit for putting a modern spin on those scenes. Tarantino updated wuxia to the new millennium. Rodriguez did the same thing to noir in “Sin City.”

But the fact remains that Tarantino just recycled old Kung F, Blacksploitation and Spaghetti Western motifs in “Kill Bill, Volume 1.” The movie was fresh, daring and inventive only if you failed to see the films that spawned it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Already saw all the stuff in KB,V1 as a teen.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Good Will Hunting is a great movie.
not just over-rated... sucks more than anything has ever sucked before...

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-21-2005, 07:45 AM
****STAR WARS MAY BE THE WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That may indeed be true... wouldn't know.... never seen any of those movies except the first 30 minutes of so of the original Star Wars.

HC_Chief
06-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Yes, Gladiator was <i>vastly</i> overrated. The story is lame, cliched, rehashed, Hollyweird drivel. The battle scene at the beginning was great... went straight downhill from there. The Oscar was a farse (talk about a bleak movie year) and Crowe got a "make-up call" for having been snubbed for <i>The Insider</i>, a truly excellent performance, the previous year.

HC_Chief
06-21-2005, 08:05 AM
While I'm ripping Hollywood epic crap, how about <i>The Last Samurai</i>? What a flaming pile of poo that one is.

Otter
06-21-2005, 08:36 AM
A movie I didn't see mentioned yet: Taxi Driver.

Great idea for a story line. Ex Vietnam Vet is 'the invisable man' in society as well as with a women that he's pursing and begins a downward spiral into anti-social behavoir.

The whole plot lacks direction and develops way too slow. Would have been a great movie if it was about 45 minutes long.

Lzen
06-21-2005, 09:05 AM

I guess I need to kill myself because I thought Dumb & Dumber was about the lamest movie ever.

KCChiefsMan
06-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Taxi Driver
Kill Bill
Gladiator
Office Space
Fight Club

I'm gonna have to disagree with those choices. I enjoyed them all

My choices are:

Star Trek IV
Speed
Mission Impossible 2
Pearl Harbor
Batman & Robin
Men in Black II
Pirates of the Carribean
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Hammock Parties
06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
They are working on 28 weeks later now.. It is going to be crap, as there is no returning cast and a new director...

The plot so far is, England is empty... America is going to come in and restart the island..thats it so far...

Also for 28 days later, took me forever to figure out that the scarecrow in batman begins is the lead dude from 28 days... That guys eyes and look freaked me out more so then the masked scarecrow...

Shit son! I KNEW he looked familiar. Damn...

Ice Man
06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Overrated (meaning that the critics loved it and therefore you should spend your $$). What a crock! Anyway, my 2 cents: Hugely overrated =
1. American Beauty
2. Lost in Translation
3. Reds
4. Terms of Endearment
5. Prince of Tides

svuba
06-21-2005, 04:06 PM
1. Titanic
2. Speed (I especially love the scene where the 15 Ton City bus Does a wheelie & levitates 10 feet in the air to cover a 100' gap in the roadway)
3. Spinal Tap -
4. Matrix Released, Reinfested, regurgitated...whatever.
5. Titanic

svuba
06-21-2005, 04:50 PM
So has anyone seen The Aviator? And if so what did they think of it?
Im not a DeCraprio fan, but would think the film might have some historical value of how the tycoon made TWA.

Aviator is worth a look. Decraprio is getting less annoying as he get older IMHO.

chop
06-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Every movie that was ever rated "Two thumbs, way up"

Nzoner
06-21-2005, 05:09 PM
The Shining.

Don't get me wrong,I liked Kubrick's movie but compared to King's original vision,the movie is way overrated.

Yes,I'm one of those who'll take the ABC mini-series of The Shining anyday over Kubrick's film because King finally got to present his story the way he wrote it.

milkman
06-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Where do you all watch movies... I have never payed more then 8.50 max here in kansas city and usually pay around 6.50 to see a movie at 9-11pm on a friday when they come out???

California.

It was, I believe, the last movie I went to see that wasn't a matinee.

milkman
06-21-2005, 05:57 PM
If my life came down to a choice between 5 minutes of american idol, 5 minutes of oprah winfrey, 5 minutes of Lifetime/We or a slow death simmering/drowning in a pot of whale semen, I'm not sure what I'd pick. They're all torture.

You could add any freakin' reality or talk show to that list.

I would love to torture whoever it was that came up with the reality show concept.
It's taking over the networks, and making semi celebrities out of idiots that will do anything for money.

Oh, and it's not reality people.

Dayze
06-21-2005, 06:04 PM
1. Pulp Fiction. it was decent but doesn't warrant the hype it generated and the 'cult' status it enjoys.

2. Men In Black - walked out of that one after the first 40 minutes or so.

3. Rocky Horror Picture Show - again..."ok" I guess...but the way it's hyped you'd think it starred Jesus Christ.

4. Any Adam Sandler movie

5. Gladiator - good; seen it a few times. but keeping with the intent of the thread - not worth the hype.

wutamess
06-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Scarface.
Godfathers.

Frankie
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Sorry. Correction:
Correction part deaux:

1- Terms of Endearment
2- Terms of Endearment
3- Terms of Endearment
4- Terms of Endearment
5- Lost in Translation

Correction part deaux:

1- Terms of Endearment
2- Terms of Endearment
3- Terms of Endearment
4- American Beauty
5- Lost in Translation

Frankie
06-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Scarface.
Godfathers.

SACRILEDGE!!!!!:cuss:

The Godfather?
%(/

Ghost
06-22-2005, 02:06 AM
SACRILEDGE!!!!!:cuss:

The Godfather?
%(/

Maybe he means part III

Frankie
06-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Maybe he means part III

III would have been instantly great had Robert Duvall not refused to be in it. They had to rewrite the part as a much smaller one and a different character played by George Hamilton. A big Tom Hagen (Duvall) part would have improved the movie enormously.

Otter
06-22-2005, 11:26 AM
III would have been instantly great had Robert Duvall not refused to be in it. They had to rewrite the part as a much smaller one and a different character played by George Hamilton. A big Tom Hagen (Duvall) part would have improved the movie enormously.

Francis Ford Coppolla deciding that his daughter should have a major role in the film didn't help either. She was painful to watch at times.