PDA

View Full Version : Anti -ish Rant

Braincase
06-20-2005, 01:53 PM
-ish

Eight-ish

Oh, we're meeting around 1:15-ish.

C'mon people. If you are going to meet people, what is wrong with real times, that end in a zero and AM or PM? I hate -ish. What that tells me is that you are going to be late. Pick a time and stick to it. Tell me you'e going to meet me at 7:00 PM. If you know you're going to be late because of your spouse, fine. Tell me 7:15, then tell your spouse you told me 7.

-ish has it's place. I've never been to Squeem, but I've felt squeemish. I've met a few Engel's and I speak English. But why use it when there are so many better choices. It's like the expression "kind of like". I do this one, but I'm going to burn this one out of my vocabulary. It's either "like" or "not like". "Kind of like" is akin to saying "it'll remind you of something that reminds you of *".

As a society we need to communicate more effectively. We need a lot fewer people conversing like a bunch of Dan Quayle's interviewing each other for political consultant jobs.

Y'know what I'm saying.

Coach
06-20-2005, 01:54 PM
So would 6:40-ish work for you? :p

:D

wildcat09
06-20-2005, 01:57 PM
bad day at the office?

ct
06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
So would around 7pm work for you? And what's the deal with y'know? Too lazy to type You know?

Braincase
06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
bad day at the office?

Just two guys in the office with no clue how effeminate and wishy washy they sound.

foxman
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
I see no problem with it. I come in around 8:30ish AM and I leave around 9ish PM.

FloridaChief
06-20-2005, 02:22 PM
The "-ish" thing is bothersome but what I really love is asking someone a question and having them reply, "I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill you!"

C'mon, stop f*cking saying that. It's old and trite.

It wasn't cool when I first starting hearing it 15 or so years ago. Today it induces my to shake my head and walk away in amazement.

DeepSouth
06-20-2005, 03:21 PM
What do you think of the word Fet-ISH ?

Bowser
06-20-2005, 03:33 PM
What do you think of the word Fet-ISH ?

Is that short for Feta Cheeseish?

teedubya
06-20-2005, 03:36 PM
the other day my kid looked at something that was torquise color... and he said "Dad, this is kinda blue-ish... kinda green-ish."

I was like "Good Lord kid, dont ever let Braincase hear you say that."

Calcountry
06-20-2005, 04:22 PM
-ish

Eight-ish

Oh, we're meeting around 1:15-ish.

C'mon people. If you are going to meet people, what is wrong with real times, that end in a zero and AM or PM? I hate -ish. What that tells me is that you are going to be late. Pick a time and stick to it. Tell me you'e going to meet me at 7:00 PM. If you know you're going to be late because of your spouse, fine. Tell me 7:15, then tell your spouse you told me 7.

-ish has it's place. I've never been to Squeem, but I've felt squeemish. I've met a few Engel's and I speak English. But why use it when there are so many better choices. It's like the expression "kind of like". I do this one, but I'm going to burn this one out of my vocabulary. It's either "like" or "not like". "Kind of like" is akin to saying "it'll remind you of something that reminds you of *".

As a society we need to communicate more effectively. We need a lot fewer people conversing like a bunch of Dan Quayle's interviewing each other for political consultant jobs.

Y'know what I'm saying.Yep, its like I am listening to this customer, and I don't understand what the heck they are trying to say/communicate to me, so I go "huh." Then they repeat their Asianlish/Portuglish/Spanglish/Indianish/Muslish(we have em all here) to me. With a sincere and actively listening heart I once again go, "huh". To which they change it up a little, and once again I go "huh". Now I try to put some words to them so they may answer in the binary with a yes or a no, and they look at me with the "huh". So now I say to myself(fug it, no money is worth this), and I try to close them as politely as I can, with or without a sale, because my brain is now way too sore to care.