PDA

View Full Version : I went to Wal-Mart! I went to Wal-Mart!

Rain Man
06-20-2005, 02:30 PM
I've lived in Denver for 12 years, and I've never been to a Wal-Mart here. They're all out in the 'burbs, and so it's just not worth the trip.

Anyway, it's my turn at the office to buy the office snacks, and my wife told me to go to Wal-Mart since she said I could buy bulk stuff cheaper. On Sunday, I packed up a sandwich and some sodas, filled the car with gas, and drove out to some enormous Wal-Mart superstore on the edge of the prairie.

I don't get it.

What's the deal with Wal-Mart? It didn't seem any cheaper than my local stores, and it wasn't particularly entertaining to stomp around on an unfinished concrete floor for an hour before figuring out that candy bars are shelved between bicycles and futons. Then I got to stand in line for an hour because apparently I was the only person who used American dollars. They had a lot of services under one roof, but it was kind of like being in a small village in an undeveloped country. It was kind of icky, to be honest, and the children kept staring at me.

Goapics1
06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
You should go on Sunday's in the afternoon when there is a Nascar race on. Place is dead. In and out in 5-10 minutes.

Katipan
06-20-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm only in there if it's 2-3 in the morning.
Otherwise I dont speak enough Spanish to shop there.

Donger
06-20-2005, 02:38 PM
I've lived in Denver for 12 years, and I've never been to a Wal-Mart here. They're all out in the 'burbs, and so it's just not worth the trip.

Anyway, it's my turn at the office to buy the office snacks, and my wife told me to go to Wal-Mart since she said I could buy bulk stuff cheaper. On Sunday, I packed up a sandwich and some sodas, filled the car with gas, and drove out to some enormous Wal-Mart superstore on the edge of the prairie.

I don't get it.

What's the deal with Wal-Mart? It didn't seem any cheaper than my local stores, and it wasn't particularly entertaining to stomp around on an unfinished concrete floor for an hour before figuring out that candy bars are shelved between bicycles and futons. Then I got to stand in line for an hour because apparently I was the only person who used American dollars. They had a lot of services under one roof, but it was kind of like being in a small village in an undeveloped country. It was kind of icky, to be honest, and the children kept staring at me.

Wal-Mart? You mean Sam's Club or Costco, right? I've never been to a Wal Mart with concrete floors.

ct
06-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Eliminate the concrete floor comment, and it is still perfectly valid.

HC_Chief
06-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Unfinished concrete floors? Did you go to Sam's, or WalMart?

If the latter, that's weird... they usually have that ultra-slick, ultra-shiny tile.

I'm not a fan of WalMart... bunch of cheap junk IMO. I do like Sam's and Costco for certain things like diapers, paper plates, paper towels, tp, etc. as those items come in bulk. Before I was married I bought one pacakage of tp from Sam's... lasted me a year. No kidding, a full year. Wife-to-be moves in with me, we go through the same sized package every three months. :spock: I think they eat the stuff.

ROYC75
Ha Ha , serves you right , going on your 1st trip unannounced. They would have rolled out the Red Carpet and gave you a free pass to the Express Checkout Lane.

Damn rookies .........

keg in kc
Well, at least it's a step up from Incestco Field. Traitor.

Donger
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM

If the latter, that's weird... they usually have that ultra-slick, ultra-shiny tile.

I'm not a fan of WalMart... bunch of cheap junk IMO. I do like Sam's and Costco for certain things like diapers, paper plates, paper towels, tp, etc. as those items come in bulk. Before I was married I bought one pacakage of tp from Sam's... lasted me a year. No kidding, a full year. Wife-to-be moves in with me, we go through the same package every three months. :spock: I think they eat the stuff.

Yep. And coffee. Costco's prices are stunning on some items, and the quality of their meats is fantastic. I absolutely hate going there, however. I usually dispatch the wife.

Rain Man
Wal-Mart? You mean Sam's Club or Costco, right? I've never been to a Wal Mart with concrete floors.

No, it was a Wal-Mart. I don't meet the exclusive eligibility requirements to be a member of Sam's Club.

CosmicPal
It was kind of icky, to be honest, and the children kept staring at me.

Next time, leave your Spiderman outfit in the car.

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2005, 02:43 PM
I practically live at Wal-Mart... not so much a love for it, but in Warrensburg it's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the grocery stores for food... and, as we say here in The 'burg, if you can't get it at Wal-Mart, you don't really need it.

Donger
06-20-2005, 02:43 PM
No, it was a Wal-Mart. I don't meet the exclusive eligibility requirements to be a member of Sam's Club.

Wow. Well, you really shouldn't expect anything other than concrete floors in Aurora.

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 02:44 PM
True that, re: the toilet paper. A roll can last me weeks. But my ex-wife, hours.

Goapics1
06-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Next time, leave your Spiderman outfit in the car.
Hey, that reminds me this picture was on the cover of the Denver Post. Some weirdo was at Wal Mart in a Spidey costume. :hmmm:

http://hollywoodcostumesandparty.com/spiderman2004/5933sm.jpg

CosmicPal
06-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Yes, you do. You can get a Business account with Sam's Club. I have one.

I rarely ever shop there 'cause the simple fact is- I don't have 14 freakin' kids to feed, nor do I have 3 fridges and a walk-in freezer to store it all.

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2005, 02:48 PM
... Wife-to-be moves in with me, we go through the same sized package every three months. :spock: I think they eat the stuff.
How is that!?!?! I'm glad someone else has this problem... what the hell is going on down there that requires a half a of toilet paper to fix?

And how is it it's never a problem for her to flush it, but if I use an extra friggin' square the damn the backs up on me?

Katipan
06-20-2005, 02:53 PM
rofl

we have to wipe every time we pee. some of us pee an awful lot.

I'd say I use 4-5 sheets per flush.

chagrin
06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
"It was kind of icky, to be honest, and the children kept staring at me."

ROFL

penguinz
06-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Just sit there until it drip dries. TP does not grow on trees.

Rain Man
06-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Yes, you do. You can get a Business account with Sam's Club. I have one.

I don't know. The bouncer wouldn't let me in. He said something about fire codes, but then he let in these really hot girls.

keg in kc
06-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Next time flash a little tit, Kevin.

beavis
06-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Yep. And coffee. Costco's prices are stunning on some items, and the quality of their meats is fantastic. I absolutely hate going there, however. I usually dispatch the wife.
Do you have to have a membership at Costco like at Sam's? I find it highly annoying that I have to pay $35 for the priveledge of buying something from them.

Calcountry
06-20-2005, 03:52 PM

I'm not a fan of WalMart... bunch of cheap junk IMO. I do like Sam's and Costco for certain things like diapers, paper plates, paper towels, tp, etc. as those items come in bulk. Before I was married I bought one pacakage of tp from Sam's... lasted me a year. No kidding, a full year. Wife-to-be moves in with me, we go through the same sized package every three months. :spock: I think they eat the stuff.You aint lying about that! ROFL

Donger
06-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Do you have to have a membership at Costco like at Sam's? I find it highly annoying that I have to pay $35 for the priveledge of buying something from them.

Yes. It's $40 per year, IIRC.

Calcountry
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Yep. And coffee. Costco's prices are stunning on some items, and the quality of their meats is fantastic. I absolutely hate going there, however. I usually dispatch the wife.I have actually used this as a selling point in my store.

I told this guy, "whenever my wife goes to Costco, she brings home 150 bucks of whatever, minimum".

So the next time you JUST need dog food, send her here. lmao. It worked!

Calcountry
06-20-2005, 03:57 PM
How is that!?!?! I'm glad someone else has this problem... what the hell is going on down there that requires a half a of toilet paper to fix?

And how is it it's never a problem for her to flush it, but if I use an extra friggin' square the damn the backs up on me?have you checked your water bill lately?

If you are on a flat rate plan out their in the aquous Missourrah, then you wouldn't notice, but h ere in Cal, the water rate doubles as well as the TP bill.

:D

Phobia
06-20-2005, 04:26 PM

It might be annoying, but it's a helluva good deal. Even Costco pizza is the best deal in town. I love that place.

Otter
06-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Wal Mart seems to attract the creme de la creme of society doesn't it. Wait until December and go to Wal Mart on the 23rd if you really want to see it in all it's glory.

Skip Towne
06-20-2005, 05:09 PM
My best Wal Mart experience was a Saturday afternoon at the store in Pittsburg, Kansas. It is a small town but Pitt State is located there. That place was chock full of hotties.

Saulbadguy
06-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I just mooch off other peoples Sam's Club memberships. I highly doubt i'll ever get my own.

Rain Man
06-20-2005, 05:16 PM
My best Wal Mart experience was a Saturday afternoon at the store in Pittsburg, Kansas. It is a small town but Pitt State is located there. That place was chock full of hotties.

Lowland gorilla hotties to boot...

Skip Towne
06-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Lowland gorilla hotties to boot...
Why yes, yes they were.

beavis
06-20-2005, 06:03 PM
It might be annoying, but it's a helluva good deal. Even Costco pizza is the best deal in town. I love that place.
I've heard they have good stuff. I might make a switch, especially with how much I've come to despise Wal-Mart and all of it's inbred employees.

Saulbadguy
06-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I've heard they have good stuff. I might make a switch, especially with how much I've come to despise Wal-Mart and all of it's inbred employees, customers, and management.
Fixed your post for you.

Kclee
06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
I just mooch off other peoples Sam's Club memberships. I highly doubt i'll ever get my own.

I KNEW IT!!! That's it, you're cut off!

Rain Man
06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
The more I'm thinking of it, now I'm wondering if the floor was really bare concrete or if it was that vinyl stuff. I distinctly thought "concrete" when I was there, but maybe I'm mixing that up with the parking lot or something. Anyway, I hope that uncertainty doesn't diminish the power of my original post.

Phobia
06-20-2005, 06:37 PM
The more I'm thinking of it, now I'm wondering if the floor was really bare concrete or if it was that vinyl stuff. I distinctly thought "concrete" when I was there, but maybe I'm mixing that up with the parking lot or something. Anyway, I hope that uncertainty doesn't diminish the power of my original post.

Are you sure it wasn't a Walmart Neighborhood Market?

Those have concrete floors. I've never been in a traditional Walmart that had concrete floors though.

Rain Man
06-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Are you sure it wasn't a Walmart Neighborhood Market?

Those have concrete floors. I've never been in a traditional Walmart that had concrete floors though.

What's a neighborhood market? This one sold groceries, but it also sold practically everything else. I thought it was a Supercenter, but then again every big box place looks enormous given where I usually shop.

Phobia
06-20-2005, 06:46 PM
At the neighborhood market, their logo is green and they have a lot of automated checkout lines. The neighborhood market is 80% grocery store, 15% pharmacy, and 5% misc crap.

Rain Man
06-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Hmm. Not a neighborhood market, then. This one was probably 15 or 20 percent groceries, and the rest was ... stuff. They also had a row of "storefronts" after you went through the checkout line (presuming that you lived that long) where you could get your nails done, hair cut, bail bondsman, green card, etc.

unlurking
06-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Hmm. Not a neighborhood market, then. This one was probably 15 or 20 percent groceries, and the rest was ... stuff. They also had a row of "storefronts" after you went through the checkout line (presuming that you lived that long) where you could get your nails done, hair cut, bail bondsman, green card, etc.
Sounds like the Highlands Ranch craphole.

Rain Man
06-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Sounds like the Highlands Ranch craphole.

Stapleton, actually. Is that better or worse?

the Talking Can
06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Wal Mart isn't cheaper....they just promote a few items to create the impression that everything is cheaper.

The only thing cheaper at Wal Mart is quality.

unlurking
06-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Stapleton, actually. Is that better or worse?
Don't know, never been to that one. Try and stay out of all of them to be honest. Can't believe you ruined such a great track record. Just think how many men would have envied the guy who had "he never set foot in a walmart" engraved on his headstone.

:(

Saulbadguy
06-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Wal Mart isn't cheaper....they just promote a few items to create the impression that everything is cheaper.

I'd say about 35-40% of their items are below the quality you'd find at a grocery store, and other specialty stores. Their produce is definately below average, their meats/fish/baked goods are below average, but boxed/canned goods remain the same. Electronics/music/movies suck, because many companies produce products specifically for Wal-Mart, and they are usually sub-par. They also sell censored CD's, and "neutered" DVD's, (DVD's without the extras). Other than that, the products are pretty much the same throughout, me thinks. Its pretty convienent to get everything in one place, too. However, if we had a Super Target here, i'd shop there before Wal-Mart anytime. Targets products are usually a step above Wal-Marts, for a comprable price.

Skip Towne
06-20-2005, 08:17 PM

That is all true. Wal Mart sells RG 6 coax like I use for 25 cents per foot. I buy it for .04 cents per foot. What do you think they pay for it? Probably .02 cents per foot. I buy diplexers for .75 each. They sell them two for $9.00.

R&GHomer
06-20-2005, 08:54 PM
I hardly ever go too the store, let alone wally mart. But I found myself returning an item there a couple months ago. Standing in front of me in the customer service line was the best example of white trash I had ever witnessed.

Mom was wearing some faded, dirty looking daisy dukes and an old halter top. Complete with cheesy tats and really tacky jewelry. Her daughter looked like she couldn’t be over 14 sporting really tight jeans and a belly shirt that read “I didn’t start out a bitch, my man made me this way”. Now if that wasn’t bad enough, guess what was poking out the belly shirt?

Phobia
06-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Now if that wasn’t bad enough, guess what was poking out the belly shirt?

I swear I used a condom. It musta been her pa.

R&GHomer
06-20-2005, 09:22 PM
I swear I used a condom. It musta been her pa.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I just kind of stood there in silent disbelief as my faith in humanity went down a few notches.

Next time you see her Phobia, you may want to let them know they can’t return an open box of lee press on nails if half the package is gone 

Pitt Gorilla
06-20-2005, 10:39 PM
I practically live at Wal-Mart... not so much a love for it, but in Warrensburg it's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the grocery stores for food... and, as we say here in The 'burg, if you can't get it at Wal-Mart, you don't really need it.I have never found Walmart to be cheaper/better on food items. Health/beauty items are generally cheaper, unless they're on sale at HyVee.

BTW, who would have thought Wal-Mart would be such a happening joint in a place like Warrensburg...:)

stevieray
06-20-2005, 10:50 PM
It was kind of icky, to be honest, and the children kept staring at me.

That's what happens when you're buying Brownco gear and forget you're wearing your Chiefs socks.

trndobrd
06-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Depending on their location Wal-Marts can be reasonably OK places to shop, or an ungodly reflection of the worst humanity has to offer. It's usually one or the other, no middle ground.