PDA

View Full Version : Full Moon theory ; Fact ,Myth or Coincidental ?

ROYC75
06-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Many people around the world think that stuff happens on full moons more than other times. Wierd, crazy, unusual things happen by people, kids, gatherings, etc.and some people will claim it was because of a Full Moon. Most people use this as an excuse, some people are serious.

Fact ,Myth or Coincidental ?

Do you recall a Full Moon story ? I often have wondered, here's one reason.....

The wife told me tonight on tha way home, it's a full moon, something wierd is going to happen. 1:45 am my MIL calls us, my sister in law is in for a few days to visit and is staying with my MIL. Last night my MIL got up and had to wake my SIL up by hitting the door with here cain. Tonight, the cain part didn't work, she calls us, the wife runs over to check her out, she is just a heavy sleeper ? IMHO, I bet she didn't want to get up. Me thinks since she doesn't care for her like my wife does ignored the door/cain wack'n. My SIL has been wanting to put MIL in nursing home for sometime.

Was this a Full Moon Fact,Myth, or just coincidental ?

Abba-Dabba
06-21-2005, 01:57 AM
Myth.

I tell you what. If anyone ever tries to wake me up by banging a can of cheap ass coffee on the door, there will be hell to pay. Atleast she could have banged away with some Jamaica Blue.

Earthling
06-21-2005, 03:52 AM
I'm not sure if I would have had "full moon" and "bangin'" in the same thread. Must have been a coincidence, huh?

Skip Towne
06-21-2005, 05:06 AM
:shrug:

ROYC75
06-21-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure if I would have had "full moon" and "bangin'" in the same thread. Must have been a coincidence, huh?

ROFL

I figured somebody would do one of these comments ...... :moon:

DJay23
06-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Weird stuff happens all the time. Just with a full moon, there is something to associate or "blame" it on.

teedubya
06-21-2005, 08:18 AM
actually the full moon is a very cool thing. It signifies the end of a cycle and the moving towards the new moon... it is a good time to end things...

The calendar used to be a 13 moon calendar... the catholic church initiated the gregorian calendar 2,005 years ago... and begin to create myths that the full moon is a bad thing and that the number 13 is very unlucky. All tactics of fear.

13 is a very good number and the full moon helps keep us in balance. A bit hokey sounding, but again... im a tinfoil hat wearer.

mcan
06-21-2005, 08:23 AM
The wife told me tonight on tha way home, it's a full moon, something wierd is going to happen. 1:45 am my MIL calls us, my sister in law is in for a few days to visit and is staying with my MIL. Last night my MIL got up and had to wake my SIL up by hitting the door with here cain. Tonight, the cain part didn't work, she calls us, the wife runs over to check her out, she is just a heavy sleeper ? IMHO, I bet she didn't want to get up. Me thinks since she doesn't care for her like my wife does ignored the door/cain wack'n. My SIL has been wanting to put MIL in nursing home for sometime.

I only understand about 1/3 of this paragraph. But, I'd like to think that it's all the moon's fault...

Phobia
06-21-2005, 08:56 AM
I only understand about 1/3 of this paragraph. But, I'd like to think that it's all the moon's fault...

No kidding. Bump the thread around 10 PM and tommykat will surely have some advice.

I couldn't even tell you what a "cain" is.

CosmicPal
06-21-2005, 09:24 AM
A couple of years ago, I'd say a resounding No. But, after watching this documentary on the galaxies and stars- I would have to say it just might have something to do...This one gal was tested on her "astrological" abilities and was given birth star charts of half a dozen infamous serial killers in the past. She was asked to point out anything significance about the stars not knowing these were birth charts of serial killers. She then went on to point out a particular star in all of the charts saying something in that it produced evil. She was then let known they were birth charts of serial killers. And this was on the Discovery Channel, so it must be legit. ;)

ROYC75
06-21-2005, 10:11 AM
No kidding. Bump the thread around 10 PM and tommykat will surely have some advice.

I couldn't even tell you what a "cain" is.

OK OK, at 2:46 am in the morning when I'm use to being asleep,......... typo error.............CANE

I was still asleep.......sorry.

Ebolapox
06-21-2005, 10:16 AM
I think it's bullsh*t--we ALL know that it's roy scanlon's doing

-EB-

Vegas_Dave
06-21-2005, 10:17 AM
OK OK, at 2:46 am in the morning when I'm use to being asleep,......... typo error.............CANE

I was still asleep.......sorry.

ROFL

Skip Towne
06-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Well, the moon does affect the tides of the oceans so it could do other things as well. We need to ask badgirl about it.

Phobia
06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Well, the moon does affect the tides of the oceans so it could do other things as well. We need to ask badgirl about it.

Outstanding. Heh.

Rain Man
06-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Weird stuff happens all the time. Just with a full moon, there is something to associate or "blame" it on.

Whenever I want to do something odd, I wait until the full moon to do it. It kind of helps build the legend.

ROYC75
06-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Well ya know that Bob Seger chimmed it, Blame it on Midnight, Blame it on the moon..........Might as well. :rolleyes:

HolyHandgernade
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
I think the moon does have influences, and some of our more biological components respond to them. But I think one's psychological stability can overcome those influences. A bit like potty training. At first it is a completely biological function and we slowly master a degree of contol over it. Never a complete control (we can't cease its functioning) but a managaeable control that allows us to postpone nature's call.

Likewise, people who have a stronger degree of control over their mental faculties are affected to a lesser degree than others. Police departments, almost uniformily, report greater activity on full moons. When my son was born (on a full moon) my wife had to wait in the hall during labor because of the overflow of deliveries that night. He was born about three weeks early.

My guess would be that there is some influence, but to what degree may be an unqualifiable category. I certainly wouldn't accept it as an excuse for unsavory behavior.

-HH

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Here you go, badgirl. What do you know about this?

badgirl
06-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Here you go, badgirl. What do you know about this?
OH YES the full moon definately affects people and their moods....The gravitation pull from the moon on the earth is so strong it literally bulges the ocean out from the earth creating a low tide. I saw this in a book about the moon and stuff a loooong time ago. Plus my daughter was born on a full moon along with 13 other babies the same night!!! yep the full moon can make you do some crazy stuff. IMO so there ya have it people you should sleep easy knowing I solved this debatable issue for you. ;)

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 11:53 AM
OH YES the full moon definately affects people and their moods....The gravitation pull from the moon on the earth is so strong it literally bulges the ocean out from the earth creating a low tide. I saw this in a book about the moon and stuff a loooong time ago. Plus my daughter was born on a full moon along with 13 other babies the same night!!! yep the full moon can make you do some crazy stuff. IMO so there ya have it people you should sleep easy knowing I solved this debatable issue for you. ;)
Not so fast. Does it increase crime? Why? Because you can see more stuff to steal?

badgirl
06-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Not so fast. Does it increase crime? Why? Because you can see more stuff to steal?
Well I would imagine it could increase crime, if it can pull the water from the earth, what kind of affect would it have on a person? If the person is a criminal anyway, yea it would probably make them act a little more crimmy. In a nursing home people used to tear their diapers up and try to eat them during the full moon and one man went into the parking lot and was screaming the aliens were coming!!! Thats right, all during a full moon. People go craaaaazy during that time. :p

CosmicPal
06-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Sometimes, I'll be riding in a car with another person and I'll get the sudden urge to drop my pants and moon other people. The recipients of my full moon usually end up profoundly angered, or laughing uncontrollably.

go bo
06-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Whenever I want to do something odd, I wait until the full moon to do it. It kind of helps build the legend.wow, it must be full moon all the time on your block, then... :p :p :p

go bo
06-25-2005, 12:48 PM
OH YES the full moon definately affects people and their moods....The gravitation pull from the moon on the earth is so strong it literally bulges the ocean out from the earth creating a low tide. I saw this in a book about the moon and stuff a loooong time ago. Plus my daughter was born on a full moon along with 13 other babies the same night!!! yep the full moon can make you do some crazy stuff. IMO so there ya have it people you should sleep easy knowing I solved this debatable issue for you. ;)it's great to see you back again badgirl... :toast:

(oh saints preserve me, it's soooooo hard not to type badgranny... :fire: )

milkman
06-25-2005, 07:37 PM

So the full moon pulls babies right out of their mothers!

WolfDawg
06-25-2005, 08:26 PM
If someone was smaking my door with a cane that time of morning the only reason I would get up would be to take the cane and beat their ass with it. Unless your talking about sugar cane.

sugar cain mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Rausch
06-25-2005, 08:37 PM
A couple of years ago, I'd say a resounding No. But, after watching this documentary on the galaxies and stars- I would have to say it just might have something to do...This one gal was tested on her "astrological" abilities and was given birth star charts of half a dozen infamous serial killers in the past. She was asked to point out anything significance about the stars not knowing these were birth charts of serial killers. She then went on to point out a particular star in all of the charts saying something in that it produced evil. She was then let known they were birth charts of serial killers. And this was on the Discovery Channel, so it must be legit. ;)

Your sig is SERIOUSLY ****ing creepy...

4th and Long
06-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Myth. Statistically and factually speaking, there are no more births, accidents, etc., during a full moon than any phase of the moon. I should know. I work in a hospital. This full moon crap is total bullshit.

Rausch
06-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Myth. Statistically and factually speaking, there are no more births, accidents, etc., during a full moon than any phase of the moon. I should know. I work in a hospital. This full moon crap is total bullshit.

I think it's meth too...

chiefs4me
06-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Well I can say for sure that I tend to get a little crazy around the full moons, and I believe the myth.

4th and Long
06-25-2005, 09:14 PM
I believe the myth.
Anyone besides me see the irony in that? ROFL

keg in kc
06-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Myth.

People think strange things happen because they're programmed to believe that, through folklore and tradition (as well as misperceptions about it) and the media (movies, tv, etc).

KS Smitty
06-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Many people around the world think that stuff happens on full moons more than other times. Wierd, crazy, unusual things happen by people, kids, gatherings, etc.and some people will claim it was because of a Full Moon. Most people use this as an excuse, some people are serious.

Fact ,Myth or Coincidental ?

Do you recall a Full Moon story ? I often have wondered, here's one reason.....

Was this a Full Moon Fact,Myth, or just coincidental ?

There is evidence that the moon does in fact affect the tides of the ocean. Does that extend to an effect on people? Personally I honestly don't know, although people that believe that it does will in fact be able to correlate experiences to moon phases.

Given some other experiences that your MIL has had from the family, I am tending to agree that your SIL was pretty much ignoring her. This is certainly going to be a hard decision for the family, if it is decided that she is better off with assisted-living/nursing home they need to realize that she still is alive and a member of the family.

Best of luck in this situation Roy, everyone's last days should be peaceful.

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm usually the last guy to fall for a myth, but there is no doubt the gravitational pull of the moon affects the tides. And the sun's gravitational pull is what keeps the planets revolving around it. I don't think this can be lightly dismissed as hocus pocus. This would make a good Master's Thesis.