PDA

View Full Version : Describe your first home as an independent person.

Rain Man
06-21-2005, 09:43 AM
We're talking about the first place where you lived independently from your parents or guardians.

Poll being delivered to your new address soon.

chagrin
06-21-2005, 09:54 AM
one roommate, a freaking nightmare!

Phobia
06-21-2005, 09:55 AM
How 'bout military barracks?

Rain Man
06-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Aw, heck. Can you add military barracks? Thanks for the assist.

InChiefsHeaven
All by myself, unless you count the roaches...$235 a month with all utilities paid...

...did I mention the roaches?

Skip Towne
I can't remember. Prolly under a bridge.

Rain Man
06-21-2005, 10:05 AM
My first place was in an old house across from the student union in Rolla. I shared the downstairs of the house with one other guy and his cat and guinea pig. We had a living room, dining room, kitchen, small "bonus room" (5 ft by 7 ft.) and one bedroom. I got the bedroom, and my roomie slept in the dining room. Because of that, he kind of got the living room too, because I came in a back door directly into my bedroom, and had to go through his room to reach the living room, which was kind of awkward. I therefore stayed in the back, in my bedroom and the little bonus room, while the kitchen was an open port.

Someone else had the upstairs, but during the entire semester I never saw them once. I'd hear footsteps, but that was it.

They tore the house down the year after I left and replaced it with a parking lot. It made me kind of sad.

JimNasium
06-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Barracks. Well, not counting bootcamp it was actually on board a ship.

Jenson71
06-21-2005, 10:07 AM
What are units in complex?

Apartment (less than 10 units in complex), by yourself

Phobia
06-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Are coasties really allowed to call it "bootcamp"? I think you should call it summer camp.

JimNasium
06-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Are coasties really allowed to call it "bootcamp"? I think you should call it summer camp.
It was actually pretty tough. Not Marine tough but supposedly harder than Air Force or Navy boot.

Phobia
06-21-2005, 10:10 AM

That's when your little peanut doesn't like to come out of his dark comfortable place because he's scared all the big peanuts will call him stubby.

Phobia
06-21-2005, 10:11 AM
It was actually pretty tough. Not Marine tough but supposedly harder than Air Force or Navy boot.

Oh. Cool. I guess I didn't know that. Heh.

chiefs4me
06-21-2005, 10:13 AM
A house with 3 other females..lived with them for 2 years and then joined the service.

Skip Towne
06-21-2005, 10:23 AM
A house with 3 other females..lived with them for 2 years and then joined the service.
What branch? How long were you in?

Rain Man
06-21-2005, 10:28 AM

How many different households lived in the building or group of buildings.

Rain Man
06-21-2005, 10:39 AM

It was the Community Service. She was in for about sixty days.

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0629/3472667_320X240.jpg

She joined because she liked the uniforms.

patteeu
06-21-2005, 12:10 PM
My first home was a motel room at the Rolla Rancho Motel. For purposes of the poll, I probably should have picked dormitory because it was leased by the school (UMR) but I picked apartment instead. Functionally, it was somewhere in between the two. Far more luxurious and spacious than a dorm room (and no real adult supervision) but most of the rooms didn't have kitchens like an apartment.

It was a typical roadside motel with each room opening to the parking lot and a swimming pool in the courtyard. My first year I shared a room that had two double beds and a private bathroom with 1 roommate. My second year, I moved into one of the corner apartments (which did have a kitchenette) with a different roommate. That was sweet. The only real downside was that it was a couple of miles from campus and I didn't have a car so I either had to bum rides or ride the shuttle bus. It was still far superior to dorm life though.

chiefs4me
06-21-2005, 12:25 PM

Army
3 years

Taco John
06-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I lived in a giant house with 30 of my closest friends... I loved it. I hated it. I wish I could go back and do it all again. Living in a fraternity. Nothing in the world like it. What an experience.

Saulbadguy
06-21-2005, 12:39 PM
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~dascott/images/tmi512face.jpg
Booze and I are buying a house together.

ChiefsCountry
06-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Fairly decent sized apartment complex in Springfield in a one bedroom apartment.

Skip Towne
06-21-2005, 12:43 PM
In my first few years on my own I spent 80% of my money on women and whiskey. The rest I just wasted.

keg in kc
06-21-2005, 02:05 PM
If memory serves, it would've been my junior year in college, a house with one male and two female roommates. Across a parking lot from the best pizza place I've ever been to. Gained a lot of weight that year, between the alcholic roomie and I who split a case a night and the pizza joint.

DaKCMan AP
06-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Dorm at UF. However, it was an apartment-style dormitory where there were 4 people, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen and living room.

MOhillbilly
06-21-2005, 03:02 PM
House NO ROOMMATES

JimNasium
06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
http://exo.com/~coby/iceepage/farley/van02.jpg

ChiefsOne
06-21-2005, 03:26 PM
In a loft apartment (before they were popular) in downtown above a business. It was really cool, one month before HS graduation. My buddies dad owned the building and turned the top into apartments. They were pretty nice back then and it was a blast. 6 apartments and my friends and I took up 5 of them. We would have parties every weekend and just open up the doors in to our apartements and people would just go everywhere.

Really cool back in the day.

Nzoner
06-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Dormitory on a Job Corps campus that lasted less than 30 days,it was a nightmare,and I got transferred ASAP.

dilligaf
06-21-2005, 05:01 PM
In an old 1950s trailer in this little seedy trailer park in Kennewick,WA. I worked full time at two fast food restaurants. The afternoon shift at Round Table Pizza and then go across the street to Wendy's and close.
I had one room mate with no job who drink most of the beer while I was at work. He didnt stay long.

PastorMikH
06-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Stayed at home for most of my first year of college but after growing tired of the tyranny of my dad's rules I opted to move in with a friend. The house was an older 2 bedroom on a decent sized yard out in the country. No AC - though we were young, inshape, and could go without shirts without grossing people out. Ended up having to move back in with Dad when the roomate got married. However, some of the issues between us were resolved by then. I stayed another 8-9 months then got married and moved into an apartment on Ingram Mills rd in Springfield. I hated the confined living that the apartment provided.

JimNasium
06-21-2005, 05:19 PM
I lived in a giant house with 30 of my closet friends... I loved it. I hated it. I wish I could go back and do it all again. Living in a fraternity. Nothing in the world like it. What an experience.
I had no idea you were gay.

Skip Towne
06-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I had no idea you were gay.
Pay attention. It's been common knowledge on the Planet for several years.

JimNasium
06-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Pay attention. It's been common knowledge on the Planet for several years.
I have trouble focusing on anyone but myself. Who are you again?

Skip Towne
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I have trouble focusing on anyone but myself. Who are you again?
So now you are saying you don't remember that $100 I loaned you?

Zebedee DuBois
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
First residence away from the parents was the dormitory.

Followed by a series of either apartments or houses with 2 to 3 other guys.

Got my first mortgage at age 24.

edit: forgot that one room apartment with my bride, before the mortgage.

bogie
06-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Table Rock State Park Campgrounds in a pop-up camper with my best friend from High School. We could only stay in one sight for 2 weeks at a time. So every two weeks we would pack up and move to another sight. Lived there for 3 months until we found a small house that cost less to rent then what we paid at the campgrounds. Every meal was cooked over an open fire. Drinkin' beer, smokin' dope and eatin' steaks. It was GOOD TIMES!!

patteeu
06-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Table Rock State Park Campgrounds in a pop-up camper with my best friend from High School. We could only stay in one sight for 2 weeks at a time. So every two weeks we would pack up and move to another sight. Lived there for 3 months until we found a small house that cost less to rent then what we paid at the campgrounds. Every meal was cooked over an open fire. Drinkin' beer, smokin' dope and eatin' steaks. It was GOOD TIMES!!

Wow, what's the story behind that?

Rausch
06-21-2005, 10:20 PM
I had a house with one roommate (at a time.)

The first two were complete ****s and the 3rd was a great all around guy. He had a bad case of the Endelt (loved the larger ladies) but always payed his share of the bills on time and never broke agreed upon house rules.

A very, very insane 6 months with roomie 3...

:toast:

:BLVD:

:crybaby:

:Lin:

:ZZZ:

luv
06-22-2005, 12:21 AM
The first time I moved out on my own, I had one roommate in an apartment. We later got a house with one more person. I will never again have roommates until I find "the one." It's nice to split rent and all, but, living by yourself, you don't have to worry about what the roomie will be doing if you bring home a "guest", your mess is your mess, and you don't have to worry about waking the other one up when you can't sleep.

Rausch
06-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Looking back, that'd also be where I mixed enough baby-batter to make my daughter.

I pray it's less about enviornment than genetics.

I think...