PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

siberian khatru
06-21-2005, 07:35 PM
(William the Irish will love this.)

Wife cleaned out the garage today and uncovered a bunch of my old shat that was buried under junk. Included in the pile were my scorecards from seeing the Royals play the Texas Rangers in spring training 1980 in Pompano Beach, Fla. (I lived in nearly Coral Springs at the time).

I got one autographed by Clint Hurdle, Pete LaCock and Gary Christenson (scrub lefty pitcher).

I also kept score of both games. Here are some of the players I saw then:

KC:
Willie Wilson
Amos Otis
Willie Aikens
LaCock
Ken Phelps
Jamie Quirk
Dave Chalk
Onix Concepcion
Jerry Terrell
Steve Braun
John Wathan (I got his son Dusty's autograph at the Indians spring training this year)
Rance Mulliniks
Hal McRae
Dennis Leonard
Renie Martin

Texas:
Mickey Rivers
BUDDY BELL (irony)
Al Oliver
John Ellis
Pat Putnam
John Grubb
Jim Sundberg (future Royal hero)
Pepe Frias
Sparky Lyle
Billy Sample
Bump Wills
Dave Roberts
Richie Zisk
Jim Kern

Good times ...

tk13
06-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Sigh...... if only Glass would spend money, we could have a team like that again.... SIGH..... SIGH.....

siberian khatru
06-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Heh ... also found an autographed photo of Bud Black. And numerous scorecards from Royals games in KC from the 80s and 90s.

tk13
06-21-2005, 07:45 PM
SIGH....... that is pretty cool though. I still have pretty much every scorecard I've ever done. I keep it a lot better now than when I was 12 years old though. :)

PunkinDrublic
06-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Jim Sundbergs going to be opening up the local grocery store by my house this week I was thinking about stopping by just to say thanks for helping the Royals win it all in 85.

WilliamTheIrish
06-21-2005, 07:56 PM
You're right. I do love this kind of story.

Those names conjure up some memories.

Jim Kern: That SOB used to pitch so damn tough against us. Tall lanky RHer, used to fook us up on occasion.

Zisk. Richie was once a great player. Always a great stick. But watching him run in the outfield of Royals Stadium, he looked like Yaz. Old, slow and beaten.

Sparky Lyle: Sparky's best days were behind him, but I never got a chance to give him shiot for kiling the Royals in the 77 ALCS. Had a bad ass slider and we just couldn't hit it well.
I'll never forget reading the book The Bronx Zoo and the story of the 78 Yankees as they were playing like total shiot and trailing the Red Sox by a galaxy. After another loss, Sparky Lyle came into the clubhouse and slid his c*ck all over the post game meal.
F*cking loser. Always hated that guy. Still do.

Al Oliver. This guy was another FA from the old Pirates championship squad of 79. They lost Zisk, Hebner, and Oliver. Oliver nearly put the Jays on his back in the 85 ALCS.
In game 4, just one night after Brett led the Royals to their 1st win (God, I'll never forget that play where Brett went behind 3rd for the ground ball and whisked the ball by Damaso Garcia's ear to nail him at the plate. That was Howser's first playoff win btw)..... anyway we led 1-0 in the 9th and Leibrandt walked Garcia and Moseby doubled him home to tie it.
Quiz relieved and gave up a single to Bell and then Oliver hit a ph 2 run double, to put the Jays up 3-1 in the game and 3-1 in the seies.
I thought we were cooked. Really. That game stands out as the second worst feeling in Royals history for me.

But Howser outsmarted Bobby Cox and kept starting LH pitchers then would go with a RH late to get Oliver out of the game, since Booby Cox was a strict platoon guy with Oliver and Cliff (former f*cking yankee) Johnson.

To this day, every October 16, my brother calls me and we thank God that Bobby Cox was so rigid in his managerial book.

Hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahah!!!!!!

Coach
06-21-2005, 07:57 PM
That's pretty awesome you got there siberian. my old man cleaned out the bathroom not too long ago, and got several yearbooks of the Royals.

And I have a few of them myself as well, the 1994, 95, 03, and 05.

WilliamTheIrish
06-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Jim Sundbergs going to be opening up the local grocery store by my house this week I was thinking about stopping by just to say thanks for helping the Royals win it all in 85.

I'd offer him my 19 year old daughter.

Skip Towne
06-21-2005, 08:05 PM
I'd offer him my 19 year old daughter.
How much are you charging for her these days? I thought you were a little out of line last time.

siberian khatru
06-21-2005, 08:16 PM
(God, I'll never forget that play where Brett went behind 3rd for the ground ball and whisked the ball by Damaso Garcia's ear to nail him at the plate. That was Howser's first playoff win btw)..... anyway we led 1-0 in the 9th and Leibrandt walked Garcia and Moseby doubled him home to tie it.
Quiz relieved and gave up a single to Bell and then Oliver hit a ph 2 run double, to put the Jays up 3-1 in the game and 3-1 in the seies.
I thought we were cooked. Really. That game stands out as the second worst feeling in Royals history for me.

But Howser outsmarted Bobby Cox and kept starting LH pitchers then would go with a RH late to get Oliver out of the game, since Booby Cox was a strict platoon guy with Oliver and Cliff (former f*cking yankee) Johnson.

To this day, every October 16, my brother calls me and we thank God that Bobby Cox was so rigid in his managerial book.

Hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahah!!!!!!

That play by Brett was the greatest defensive play by a 3B I've ever seen, and in an incredibly clutch moment. In fact, that whole game by Brett (the 2 homers, etc.) was the most dominant game by a single baseball player I think I've ever witnessed. And he did it in a game they absolutely had to win. That was CLUTCH, in all caps, bold letters, 72-point type.

And yeah, I've always marveled at how Howser cracked the code on Bobby's managing and completely outmanaged him the rest of the series. One of the papers I dug out of the garage stuff was the Star edition on Howser's death. Sad stuff. Also found Brett's retirement and Mr. K's death.

tk13
06-21-2005, 08:24 PM
That's pretty awesome you got there siberian. my old man cleaned out the bathroom not too long ago, and got several yearbooks of the Royals.

And I have a few of them myself as well, the 1994, 95, 03, and 05.
I have every yearbook going back to 1993, except for the 2000 season. I also have the KC Star from the day George Brett got into the Hall of Fame, pretty cool, has like three extra whole sections solely devoted to Brett. Got a 8x10 commemerative of Brett's HOF induction that I bought at the K, the keychain giveaway from George Brett night the weekend after the HOF induction, also got a 8x10 type thing from when Frank White's number was retired/went into Royals HOF, and a replica of the Frank White statue at the K. I think that's everything.

siberian khatru
06-21-2005, 08:29 PM
I have every yearbook going back to 1993, except for the 2000 season. I also have the KC Star from the day George Brett got into the Hall of Fame, pretty cool, has like three extra whole sections solely devoted to Brett. Got a 8x10 commemerative of Brett's HOF induction that I bought at the K, the keychain giveaway from George Brett night the weekend after the HOF induction, also got a 8x10 type thing from when Frank White's number was retired/went into Royals HOF, and a replica of the Frank White statue at the K. I think that's everything.

Oh, yeah, well I was AT Brett's enshrinement at Cooperstown! (I named my first born son Ryan Brett after Nolan and George.)

I got the Frank White pic too. Neat stuff. I also have a similar pic from Dick Howser night.

tk13
06-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh, yeah, well I was AT Brett's enshrinement at Cooperstown! (I named my first born son Ryan Brett after Nolan and George.)

Well aren't you SPECIAL. If David Glass had given me more money, I could've gone too!

WilliamTheIrish
06-21-2005, 08:54 PM
That play by Brett was the greatest defensive play by a 3B I've ever seen, and in an incredibly clutch moment. In fact, that whole game by Brett (the 2 homers, etc.) was the most dominant game by a single baseball player I think I've ever witnessed. And he did it in a game they absolutely had to win. That was CLUTCH, in all caps, bold letters, 72-point type.

And yeah, I've always marveled at how Howser cracked the code on Bobby's managing and completely outmanaged him the rest of the series. One of the papers I dug out of the garage stuff was the Star edition on Howser's death. Sad stuff. Also found Brett's retirement and Mr. K's death.

By chance is this the article that has a pic of Howser sitting in his office after managing the All - Star game in Houston?

I'll never forget that pic. He was obviously being affected off and on by the tumor in it's early stages. The look on his face suggested Howser was confused as to his surroundings.

Really sad.

teedubya
06-21-2005, 10:05 PM
How would you like to have the name Peter LaCock. Damn, was his parents fuggin idiots?

freebeer
06-22-2005, 05:48 AM

By your house or your moms??? Hey, The Fridge will be at the local Walmart by my house (I own).....thinking about saying thanks for the Bears in 85.

Eleazar
06-22-2005, 06:39 AM
My baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying "Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps."

AirForceChief
06-22-2005, 06:48 AM
How would you like to have the name Peter LaCock. Damn, was his parents fuggin idiots?

Heh, just met the 'new guy' here at work. His name: B.J. Suckman...I kid you not... :)

Bootlegged
06-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Dusty Wathan giving autographs...what has the world come to?

ChiTown
06-22-2005, 07:39 AM

I got the Frank White pic too. Neat stuff. I also have a similar pic from Dick Howser night.

I have an autographed picture in my office of George Brett's 3000th hit. Right next to that is an autographed baseball signed by the 1985 WS Champs.

Swanman
06-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Jim Sundberg is from my hometown (Galesburg, IL) so we went to see him play in 1985 (Monday Night Baseball vs. the Yankees). We drove all that way and the a-hole struck out 5 times in the game.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Jerry Terrell
Steve Braun
Rance Mulliniks
Renie Martin

Wow...there are 4 names I haven't thought of in a while...

Bootlegged
06-22-2005, 09:09 AM
I have an autographed picture in my office of George Brett's 3000th hit. Right next to that is an autographed baseball signed by the 1985 WS Champs.

I was at game 6 in the nosebleeds. Probably the most exciting pro sporting event of my life.