PDA

View Full Version : Gear Heads...Need some help...2004 Chevy Trailblazer

dollar1
06-22-2005, 05:06 PM
The wife bought the truck last fall. I told her whatever you do get the bigger engine (5.3 L). I didn't care about the color or if it had a vanity mirror.

She comes home with the 4.2 L engine. Saying, "We sold the horse trailer, we don't need to tow anything". Any rate, we went camping with a small flat bed trailer loaded. You know the rest of the story.

I NEED HORSE POWER!!!

My Dad always said, you need air, spark, and gas to make an engine run. I don't think I can change anything for the spark. I could go with premium fuel but don't think that does much (anybody want to comment on that one...let me know...i.e. should I run it in my '96 Impala and why). Thus the easiest and most productive solution is the air flow.

Am I correct? That consists of air filter, header and pipes?
What header, pipes, air filter should I get?
Which provides the best bang for the buck?
Someone said to also look at the computer chip. Find one that optimizes HP. How much?

I'm hoping that I can boost it another 50 HP.
Is that reasonable?

~Crawling Back Under My Rock~

Phobia
06-22-2005, 05:20 PM
K&N

dollar1
06-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Agreed, that's what's on my '96 Impala.

Anymore ideas?

~Under Rock~

Soupnazi
06-22-2005, 05:35 PM
You're only adding an extra 1000 lbs of towing capacity with the V8 in the trailblazer over the 4.2L I6.

I recently read a comparison between the two motors and they actually liked towing with the 4.2L better. They said that the torque band was better placed for towing and it was smoother than the V8.

Take that for what you will.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
My Astrovan has a V6 that is 4.3 liter. Is that 4.2 liter a V6?

Soupnazi
06-22-2005, 05:53 PM
My Astrovan has a V6 that is 4.3 liter. Is that 4.2 liter a V6?

Nah. It's the new inline 6 cylinder.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Nah. It's the new inline 6 cylinder.
Oh, damn. I think mine is 160 hp. Lots of power. What is the hp on that inline 6?

Soupnazi
06-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Oh, damn. I think mine is 160 hp. Lots of power. What is the hp on that inline 6?

I think it's 270 HP, 275 lb-ft torque. In race trim for the Baja 500/1000, it'll put out ~ 650 HP. Sounds like an angry hornets nest.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I think it's 270 HP, 275 lb-ft torque. In race trim for the Baja 500/1000, it'll put out ~ 650 HP. Sounds like an angry hornets nest.
I'm not really up on this stuff but it wasn't long ago it took a lot of work to get 1 hp per cu. in. The 4.2 liter would be in the neighborhood of 250 cu. in. so the Baja deal would be nearly 3 hp per cu. in. I can't imagine how they did that.

morphius
06-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm not really up on this stuff but it wasn't long ago it took a lot of work to get 1 hp per cu. in. The 4.2 liter would be in the neighborhood of 250 cu. in. so the Baja deal would be nearly 3 hp per cu. in. I can't imagine how they did that.
I think Toyo raced a 4 cyl that had 750 in the 90's, so I don't think that number can be correct.

Deberg_1990
06-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Trade it in for a Tahoe or Suburban??

Soupnazi
06-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Okay, I was slightly off. The motor is bored out to 5.0 liters in race form, makes 600 HP, not 650. Still impressive.

http://www.findwealth.com/vortec-powered-chevy-trailblazer-wins-167296pr.html

dollar1
06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Good info on the 5.3 vs 4.2 towing ability.

We had a Tahoe. Then we sold the horse trailer and the wife didn't want that big a vehicle or the $650 payment. The other main reason for the Tahoe was the 3rd row seat. We went to the Trailblazer since it has that.

So, is a K&N filter, a header with pipes the best way to add HP? Cost? Difficulty? How much HP?

~Back Under My Rock~

Goapics1
06-23-2005, 12:02 PM
This could have all been avoided if your wife would have listened. Mine would have done the same damn thing. What gives?

ptlyon
06-23-2005, 12:06 PM
This could have all been avoided if your wife would have listened. Mine would have done the same damn thing. What gives?

Did you know you were married to the same woman?

ptlyon
06-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Why don't you just ask Carl Peterson?

:D

Frosty
06-23-2005, 12:08 PM
You might ask over on ChevyTalk (http://www.chevytalk.org) .

Goapics1
06-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Did you know you were married to the same woman?
No, I did not. I will bow out gracefully and he can have her.

ptlyon
06-23-2005, 12:11 PM
No, I did not. I will bow out gracefully and he can have her.

basically every man that is married is married to the same woman

dollar1
06-23-2005, 12:12 PM
"we sold the horse trailer, so we don't need to worry about towing." I reply, "Then why did we get the trailering package?" She said "We have one?" Duh.

We STILL have her horses, a golf cart, a big lawn mower, all of which from time to time needs to be towed.

Additionally, why the heck to get a 4x4 with a wimpy engine?

I've learned my lesson, never will I allow her to buy a car without some adult supervision :p

~Rock~

Goapics1
06-23-2005, 12:12 PM
basically every man that is married is married to the same woman
You got that right.

Hoover
06-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Who lets the wife go out and buy a car or truck? Man I trust my wife, but even she knows not to buy a car without me! :D

dollar1
Python LMAO,

Next time I'm on the plane with Carl, I'll not ask about Maz, but how to hop my engine. Who knows, maybe he's a Gear Head...He has the Mullut.

~Staying on Top of the Rock for awhile~

ptlyon
I've learned my lesson, never will I allow her to buy a car without some adult supervision :p

~Rock~

That, and she needs a good :spank:

Radar Chief
06-23-2005, 12:21 PM
"we sold the horse trailer, so we don't need to worry about towing." I reply, "Then why did we get the trailering package?" She said "We have one?" Duh.

We STILL have her horses, a golf cart, a big lawn mower, all of which from time to time needs to be towed.

Additionally, why the heck to get a 4x4 with a wimpy engine?

~Rock~

It’s easier on the rest of the drive train.
With enough gearing you can spin 44” tires with a 4 cylinder.

HemiEd
06-23-2005, 12:24 PM
All Dodges here, but scenerio is similar to mine.
You need to think of it as a combination. If you increase the air intake capacity with the K&N Filter Charger, you need to increase the exhaust flow a proportionate amount. We have a 5.2 Durango that I was able to make out perform the stock 5.9 and get significantly better miliage. Added the Filtercharger, Edlelbrock stainless headers with flowmaster muffler and a performance computer. The computer bumps the timing so premium is needed. I put the stock computer back in except for special occasions.
I disagree that an inline six will run smoother than a v-8, does not compute. The six is firing 25% less times per revolution.

ptlyon
06-23-2005, 12:24 PM
I would be like Stephen Wright and put a new engine in and forget to take the old one out.

Radar Chief
06-23-2005, 12:28 PM
For adding horses, have a look at a “Cool Air Intake” by I think K&N.
A header will help also, same with a Cat Back exhaust, high flow Cat, bigger throttle body, hot chip, cam, yada yada.
These will all add percentages of the horsepower you’ve already got but also remember there is no free lunch. While they’ll help your engine breath better they’ll also move the power up in the rev range. If your engine made it’s peak power at say 4K RPM it could be moved up to 5K or higher and cause you to loose power down low in the rev range where your more likely to use it towing.
Another suggestion, did you know Vortech makes a bolt on centrifugal blower for most engine applications? That’s a bolt on 50% HP increase, even more if you swap in turbo pistons and an intercooler.

Radar Chief
06-23-2005, 12:31 PM
All Dodges here, but scenerio is similar to mine.
You need to think of it as a combination. If you increase the air intake capacity with the K&N Filter Charger, you need to increase the exhaust flow a proportionate amount. We have a 5.2 Durango that I was able to make out perform the stock 5.9 and get significantly better miliage. Added the Filtercharger, Edlelbrock stainless headers with flowmaster muffler and a performance computer. The computer bumps the timing so premium is needed. I put the stock computer back in except for special occasions.
I disagree that an inline six will run smoother than a v-8, does not compute. The six is firing 25% less times per revolution.

Exactly right. A K&N by itself will add a little power but not as much as when combined with a good flowing exhaust and visa versa.

HemiEd
06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
A header will help also, same with a Cat Back exhaust, high flow Cat, bigger throttle body, hot chip, cam, yada yada.
These will all add percentages of the horsepower you’ve already got but also remember there is no free lunch. While they’ll help your engine breath better they’ll also move the power up in the rev range. If your engine made it’s peak power at say 4K RPM it could be moved up to 5K or higher and cause you to loose power down low in the rev range where your more likely to use it towing.
Another suggestion, did you know Vortech makes a bolt on centrifugal blower for most engine applications? That’s a bolt on 50% HP increase, even more if you swap in turbo pistons and an intercooler.

I like the blower idea Radar, it might be the best idea yet! :thumb:

Radar Chief
06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I like the blower idea Radar, it might be the best idea yet! :thumb:

I thought you might like that.

dollar1
06-23-2005, 01:50 PM
You made me have a good chuckle. It's been awhile.

But wait a second, so she screws up and gets the wrong engine. So her punishment is a blower :cuss:

Added the Filtercharger, Edlelbrock stainless headers with flowmaster muffler and a performance computer. The computer bumps the timing so premium is needed. I put the stock computer back in except for special occasions.

I think I like that idea. Will it trash my gas mileage? I understand the low rpm torque for towing. If these mods only give me high end torque, it won't be of much use.

~still sunning myself~

Radar Chief
06-23-2005, 02:16 PM
You made me have a good chuckle. It's been awhile.

But wait a second, so she screws up and gets the wrong engine. So her punishment is a blower :cuss:

ROFL

I think I like that idea. Will it trash my gas mileage? I understand the low rpm torque for towing. If these mods only give me high end torque, it won't be of much use.

~still sunning myself~

For your specific application it’d be better to talk with someone familiar with your specific rig, the link to that Chevy board is a good idea.
Generally speaking, though, with the mods listed you might be sacrificing a little low end for gains in the high end but neither one is gonna be that much.
MPG is directly proportional to throttle : brain ratio. If you can, or your wife, can keep your foot out of it, you’ll probably notice a gain in MPG. But my problem is that with the added giddy-up, and increased giggle factor, I have a hard time just tootling around. Guess I’m just sick that way.

dollar1
06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Lordy ain't that the truth...Brain Ratio. When you first said it, I was thinking...OK this guy forgets things more about cars then I will ever know...Brain Ratio...something to do with the carborator..yea that sounds about right.

But my problem is that with the added giddy-up, and increased giggle factor, I have a hard time just tootling around. Guess I’m just sick that way.

After I read that, I fully understood. I just got a moded '96 Impala that's pushing 400 HP. Corvette with a back seat and a trunk. Giggle factor indeed ROFL Heck, I live out in the country. There's a little curcuit that I run with four banked 90 degree turns. Blast thru at 60...I think I need to get new tires :)

I'll try the Chevy Link

~Rock Boy under Rock~

Radar Chief
06-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Lordy ain't that the truth...Brain Ratio. When you first said it, I was thinking...OK this guy forgets things more about cars then I will ever know...Brain Ratio...something to do with the carborator..yea that sounds about right.

After I read that, I fully understood. I just got a moded '96 Impala that's pushing 400 HP. Corvette with a back seat and a trunk. Giggle factor indeed ROFL Heck, I live out in the country. There's a little curcuit that I run with four banked 90 degree turns. Blast thru at 60...I think I need to get new tires :)

I'll try the Chevy Link

~Rock Boy under Rock~

That sounds fun.

Keep us informed, I’d be interested in what ya come up with. :thumb:

StcChief
06-23-2005, 03:59 PM
My neighbor had the new 4.2 straight 6. He works for GM
in Wentzville had it 6 months 15K miles.

It had engine problems and he dumped it.

My mo-in-law has Envoy with it. Just fine. Doesn't tow.

The torque is key though

Get K&N for better breathing.

Maybe better exhaust flow.

Then if needed get a ECU chip for performance done.
Only after intake exhaust mods complete

All told that should get 50 hp and up the torque a bit.

What are you towing real heavy?

dollar1
06-24-2005, 09:31 AM
A 11x6 flat bed trailer. We use it as a utility trailer...golf cart, lawn mower, trash, camping gear. I'd guess it weighs 1,000lbs. It's got 1" angle iron and a 2x6 wood floor.

For the camping trip, loaded with gear and 500 lbs of fire wood, think it pushed 2,000 lbs. The wife had it on cruise control most of the way down. On slight inclines, it would down shift to 3rd. On larger grades (not super steep), it'd go down to 2nd at 5,000 rpms :banghead:

We got 11 mpg. After we filled up, used no cruise and slowed down on inclines, only dropping to 3rd, and ended up ~14 mpg.

When we first bought it, I took it for a spin. It sounded like a damn lawn mower engine. I remember thinking, barely serviceable for normal driving. I called the dealer lady whom we do a lot of our business. I commented that I sure wish the wife had gotten the bigger engine. She replied that no one had complained before over that issue and BTW it ain't an Impala :cuss:

~Rock Boy Cussing Under Rock~

Phobia
06-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Let me see if I understand this correctly....

1. You sent your wife to buy the SUV on her own.
2. Your wife bought the SUV from a woman, of whom you were previously aware....
3. They screwed it up.
4. You're surprised and bitching.

Please return your man card immediately.

ModSocks
06-24-2005, 11:00 AM

I realy think that if you want serious power you need to do all of the above, and the supercharger will surely make a man out of that SUV, it's just a little pricey. Not Sure about how much it is for your chevy, but for my firebird im looking at like 3k. I just dont think headers/air filter is worth the time/money if that's all your gonna do. You're looking at maybe a 5-10 hp increase...and that's being generous.

dollar1
06-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Jez, that left a mark :)

It's her car. She likes it. But as all men are...we're always right. I b#tched at her when she bought it. Was there gross lack of Mojo advice during the purchase? You betcha. Do I like shoving back into her face while towing? You betcha. But, as most women are a little slow, maybe she'll listen next time...at least I can dream :shake:

Now as a true man would do...fix it :p I should be able to contribute more to the household than opening jars.

~Back Under My Rock after Defending My Mojo~

dollar1
06-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I agree. If all I'm gonna get is 10-15 HP...I'm not going to waste my time/money.

I'm looking for advice because I DON'T know. I'm depending upon you guys to keep me straight.

Worse comes to worse, I won't do anything to the thing and smile everytime she grinds her teeth when the gerbiles wind up in the squirell cage while trying to pass someone.

~Going to have a good weekend Under My Rock~

BTW, Hoot Factor of 9.5...I'm now over 400 posts in 3 yrs :clap: